'Hawaii Five-O': The jury is still out
September 21st, 2010

'Hawaii Five-O': The jury is still out

I'm a little young to remember the original "Hawaii Five-O," which aired on CBS from 1968-1980, but I watched plenty of reruns growing up.  To me, the original "Five-O" was the definition of a fun crime drama.  Strong cast, Hawaiian backdrop, iconic theme music - it was all there.

So I was a tad hesitant when I learned that CBS was planning a new "Hawaii Five-O."  Could it be just as good, let alone better, than a TV classic?  After watching last night's premiere, the jury is still out.

The iconic theme is still there, albeit shortened and presented in a high-intensity opening that needed to be lengthened by 20-30 seconds to get the full effect.  The show is again based in Hawaii - hey, ex-"Lost" cast and crew members need to work - and eagle-eye viewers caught a wink to the old "Five-O" thanks to a cameo by a Mercury automobile that Jack Lord drove in the original series.

Alex O'Loughlin has the difficult task of filling Lord's shoes as Steve McGarrett who, in the new "Five-O," is a Navy veteran who returns to Hawaii to find the person responsible for killing his father. In an hour's time, he manages to resolve that crisis, crack a human smuggling operation and form an elite task force devoted to rid the state of crime. And you thought your day was busy.

Like McGarrett, other classic characters are back, all with unique backstories. Danny "Danno" Williams (Scott Caan) is a cop forced to relocate to Hawaii after his ex-wife moves there with his daughter, while Chin Ho Kelly (Daniel Dae Kim) is an ex-cop who left the force amid allegations he took payoffs.

We're also introduced to Chin's cousin Kono (Grace Park), whose sole purpose on the show appears to be looking pretty and beating people up. Hopefully, the show develops her character and backstory over the new few episodes.

Fans of crime procedurals certainly got their fill during last night's premiere, with plenty of gunfire, high-speed driving and pointless violence to be had. But the presentation made the new "Five-O" look like just another crime procedural - you could call it "CSI: Hawaii" or "Criminal Minds: Hawaii" and not blink an eye.

Scott Caan was entertaining as Danno, bringing a mix of humor and "angry cop" to the table. It's as if Caan's Turk Malloy character from the "Ocean's" trilogy went to the police academy. He seemed to overshadow Alex O'Loughlin, whose McGarrett came off as a tad stiff and unsure.

The new "Hawaii Five-O" is an enjoyable away to turn off your brain for an hour, but it needs to do more to separate itself from the crime procedural pack.

What did you think of last night's "Hawaii Five-O" premiere?

Post by:
Filed under: Fall TV • Hawaii Five-O • television • TV recaps

1. setback

Watch TV serials online

October 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Angela

I think the new Hawaii Five-O show is well done and very entertaining. I think everyone (new fans of this current show and old fans of the original) just have to chill a bit !! The characters are still getting to know one another and we are still getting to know them. This is 2010 – we cannot have the same characters and stories as 1970 – this is not a show about the 1970's. It is fast-paced and very exciting, and yes the Pilot should have been two hours. The cast is outstanding and Alex is about at hot as it can get anywhere on this planet. McGarrett, although a man of action, is not as vocal as Danno and it will take a bit longer to really get to know him. I love Danno's NJ banter and Alex's reactions to it !! Hopefully CBS and its writers have given Alex another role that he can sink his teeth into (...let me hold that thought for just a minute ...it just got very hot in here!!). I have seen just about everything Alex has done ..... he is a very skilled, talented and versatile actor with incredible screen charisma and presence as anyone can see if they've watched Moonlight especially. He really knows his characters and slips right into them. My one concern is that this McGarrett role isn't big enough for him unless they develop more depth to him and more for him to do other than shoot guns and hang bad guys over balconies. I will definitely keep watching to see how this all develops ...... should be interesting !!

September 30, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  3. Preston Lewis

I grew up during the Hawaii Five-0 heyday and enjoyed the show very much. But it's no longer 1968 or even 1980. Yes, I'd prefer to see more of a Hawaii Five-0 original look but for 2010, the show is pretty much as good as you can expect.

September 29, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Billie Taylor

I like the new Hawaii Five-O, I do not like the two lead guys wisecracks.....they are not funny!!!
    In the original series, Steve McGarrett was always did things by the book. These guys are way over the line.
    The original show was the best. There will never be a Five-O like it!!!
    I will continue to watch this show for a while. If I get bored, I will just go watch something else.
    At least, I give them an A for effort.

September 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill Olson

I am enjoying the show so far. I love the cast. Great work guys and Grace.

September 28, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

I was definitely a fan of the original and was excited to see a remake come back. They changed it just enough to not make it a caricature of the original characters. They do need more development and we need to see a little more of Hawaiian culture. Nice job, hope it lasts.

September 28, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Tex kamakawiwo'Ole

The New Five-0 ROCKS,,, I am a major fan !!!! Its going to ran at least 7yrs !!!! I am thankful to get in on day one.. Need some more Big Hawaiians tho... Give alittle more Hawaii Culture to the world "Ohana

September 28, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. ak

terrible show. phony, boring, unrealistic. the little oriental girl punching out some guy & joining the "group" (while still in cadet class) was SO PHONY & the worst part of the show.

September 27, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phil

Brilliant comment ak. Can we assume you were already 100 years old when the original version aired? You are right though, Charlies Angels has already proven that bikini clad Police Academy cadets will never catch on with viewers.

October 1, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JES

I watched the original series and enjoyed it alot. McGarrett was an unemotional. A get-it-done kind of guy. The action was good. The stories became predictable. But this show, only one episode in, was entertaining, Alex is Hot, the most interesting character is Dano, I hope more will come for Dae (Jin!) and not sure about Grace. Definitely need to give more on her character. I will watch it again and hope for more colorful scenes of the island, action, and more more more of Alex . (Moonlighting was cancelled too soon!)

September 27, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JANICE

i LOVED THE SHOW........IT WAS FAST PACED AND BEING FROM NJ MYSELF , I THOUGHT CAAN'S TAKE ON A GUY FROM NJ WAS RIGHT ON............. ADD SOME MORE HAWAIIAN ACTORS AND THIS SHOW'S A BIG HIT.............

September 26, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  11. Brian P

I was a fan of the original series. I agree with most of positive comments already made about it. I looked forward – with some apprehension – to this rewrite. Most of it was pretty good, but I KNEW the writers and producers would have to add more PC to the show – which they did by adding a female to the group. Unfortunately, they also could not resist the totally unrealistic feminist BS attached to the new character. It's always been amazing to me how (in modern productions) a 110 lb waif can deck (not just hit) a 210 lb buff surfer hunk while the Navy SEAL (Steve McGarrett) has trouble with his own bad guy fight. There's been at least 20 years of this kind of crap and I guess they still think we are all stupid enough to buy it.

Deedee McCall (Hunter) was classy, attractive, smart, and could handle a gun with the best of them. But she couldn't do what a woman can't do. Well, once again a potentially really good remake shot to heck.

September 25, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  12. Franco

Show started out well, then FLOP's! Our first INTRO to the girl: She get's knocked out of her surfer lane by a "tourist Surfer" and then come's up to him on the beach and punches him with her mighty FIST and of course he just sits there and takes it. WOW!, thats so REAL, very bad writing, so out of touch with reality. We should have given her ROLE more respect and let her show off some cool karate move's to show her METAL and keep it REAL! Very LAME intro for her. Also LAME the garage scene with the 2 stars showing off there ID's, bore me to tears guy's.

September 24, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. Tiffany H

I meant the attraction.

September 22, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tiffany H

I don't get it. Not as good as the original and there are more attractive people in 75% of the other shows on television. Not that they aren't but I see guys that look like that walking around everyday and the girl has a pretty face but a boyish body. I don't get the attractive. Only if you are watching because you liked the original. Frankly I thought the new show Chase was a lot better.

September 22, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. former fan

I was a huge fan of the original series. The new show is a disgrace. Totally unrealistic and stupid. The entire premise insults the intelligence of anyone with a high school diploma. Everyone who posted above with negative comments were correct in their opinions. The show was just plain BAD! That said, with all the crap that draws good ratings these days, it may turn into a hit. You just won't have this household watching it. – PATHETIC!

September 22, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  16. di

loved it.. especially Scott as Danny.. he made the show with his quips, and glad they gave him some background.

September 22, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  17. Marshall Stax

I liked the old show, and I liked the remake on Monday... but, if remains a series of exploding cars and over-the-top gunfights... i.e. heavy on action and light on plot & story & characters, I'll lose interest. Yes, the intro could be lengthened a bit – glad they got in a lot of the original images but its a little too short-attention-span for me.

September 22, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Diane

I was a great fan of the original show, and even though this one seems to have its own action-packed brand, I REALLY LOVED IT! Times have changed, I'm sure Hawaii has changed, we're in a new century, and I bet Jack Lord would love the new version too. Who wants a copycat same old, same old? Just wouldn't work! CBS had better keep this Hawaii Five-0 around–there's plenty of time for character development ahead. Can't do everything all in one episode! LOVED IT, LOVED IT!!!!!!

September 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. OahuOwl

LOVED

September 21, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. OahuOwl

O'Loughlin and Caan are great together...their character interaction alone got me on the first note. Loved seeing Daniel Day Kim again and add Grace Parks as a kick ass wahine cop and I'm in for the long haul. Don't care that the story line was over-packed and the action almost a distraction...these characters are people I want to watch thanks to the actors playing the roles. I do hope CBS keeps this one on the air and doesn't steal it away like they did with Moonlight. O'Loughlin's focused intensity (NOT stiffness!) matched with Caan's bad-ass yet overly sensitive daddy cop...and the hysterically funny dialogue that combination results in overrides any story defects for me. Very refreshing.

September 21, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Barbie

I loved the show let's hope CBS gives it a chance to develop each character and storyline. Alex was perfect for the part. I recall the original show and Alex pulls off playing Jack Lord's son there is a silent intensity about him that works.
    The rest of the cast is able to work the show if given the chance. It's a hit !

September 21, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. ike

it was horrible

howcould they miss the whole appeal of the original show – Steve McGarrett (sp?) was calm, and classy, the guy they have in this show -s neither, he would have been a good DanO

lot's of fights, explosions, etc

i truly hated it

September 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Tully

Growing up with Hawaii Five-O and having watched some rerun episodes recently to warm up for the new version, I am most happy that the producers have kept the music at the beginning and McGarrett's line "Book 'em, Danno!" at the end. The theme is so unique, cool and iconic. There seems to be a trend, I've noticed, about Pilot episodes (from new and continuing shows) that are crammed with plots and actions enough to get you dizzy. Did the producers worry that the viewers would get bored fast? Alex O'Loughlin fits the part well, I like him already. No need to compare him with Jack Lord since we live in a new century now. However, in one old episode I was moved to see Jack Lord/Mc Garrett jogging on the beach in his navy shorts and sweatshirt; he looked fit, handsome and undeniably timeless.

September 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  24. LittleMo

I really liked it but did anybody hear if they're going to cast someone in the "Wo Fat" role? If they dd it might've been during one of my "breaks" during the broadcast.

September 21, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Raving Lunatic

First of all, the old show was, well, old. It's been off the air for a loooooooooong time. Think of this, not so much as remake but a redux. It wasn't great, but it sure beat the hell out watching Man vs. Food reruns on Travel.

September 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Ketielynn

I really liked it!

September 21, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Boof

Grace Parks is one pretty wahini with a sweet okole. Mahalo!

September 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Gayle

I have to admit, I watched it mostly for the theme song.

My first reaction was to roll my eyes that they were remaking it, but those commercials with snippets of song wormed their way into my head until I had to watch it.

That said, I think my reaction was kind of "Meh." I'll give it a few more chances (I love most of the cast,) but I'm by no means sold on it yet.

September 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Mary

I was an old fan of the original Hawaii 5-0, and love this new one, Alex is sooooo hot, have loved him in MoonLight, wish that one would have flown better....but this show is a hit by me!!!♥

September 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Casey

I was hoping the new "Five-O" would retain the original show's style. The original McGarett was cool and cerebral, and his team was, too. This new series lacked style and sophistication. The new McGarett is visceral and relies too much on fast cars and lots of explosives. Too bad. This show could have captured audiences but my bet is this show will not last one season.

September 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lena

GREAT casting. O'Loughlin and Caan are wonderful as partners. I _lurved_ seeing Daniel Dae Kim again so soon on network TV. I don't care for procedurals because they're sooooo 20th century. This isn't one of them. This also isn't a remake of "Hawaii Five-0," but a rethink, so forget 'bout Mr. Jack Lord and watch it for the fun fiction it is. It's television. It's totally irrelevant and unimportant, but this was a highly watchable hour of it.

September 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mike Foughty

Saw the 1st few minutes and it looked promising. Needs to be on at 9 PM - not 10 PM. Some of us on the east coast have to get up very early in the morning.

September 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Absolutely. Why in the world would they schedule it at 10:00 pm? I usually go to bed at 10 pm and had to stay up an hour later just to watch it. Many people are in bed by 10 pm because of work...........That said I was really looking forward to this show big time.......I have to say I was bored and it was very predictable...the plot has been done to death, I was hoping for something fresh, new and different. I love Hawaii though. I will keep watching and hope it improves.

September 21, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Ron Corey

Where are my comments????

September 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Leta

I also remember the original Hawaii Five-0. It was a fine show for it's time....goodlooking leading men, beautiful location, enough action to keep things interesting. So, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed last night's opening episode. Goodlooking leading men (+ one beautiful lady), beautiful location, and more action than I imagined packed into one hour. I'm looking forward to next week.

September 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  35. emily38002

I thought the show was good last night. But I am waiting to see how it will develop as the weeks go by. I think that both Alex and Scott had good chemistry, as did Jack Lord and James MacArthur did back in the original series. I can't wait to watch more and see where they take the characters. I do hope that CBS will keep this series around long enough to allow it time to develop.

September 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Cape Cod Patty

Loved it-Being a New England girl who LOVES Hawaii I found the show entertaining. I'm a new fan of Scott Caan and have not seen him in any earlier work–I enjoy seeing the sights of Hawaii that I only get to visit occasionally for two weeks each year. I am a true Hawley that loves "Havaii"–everyone did a greta job with the accent-Most actors BLOW the Boston accent or over due it but everyone lst night did a great job– I was talking pigeon to myself on the couch by the shows end–looking forward to next weeks episode–hope they do a entire episode on the North Shore at Turtle Bay of Hal eiwa Town–my favorite spots on Oahu

September 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  37. sky

It was better than watching The Event. I think they should slow the show down a bit. Overall, the show should continue and will be good. Not many shows out there right now that have that have an action packed feel.

September 21, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  38. dav

Didn't watch it but did see the Promo's and the first thing I thought was it shouldn't be named "Hawaii Five-O" it should be named "Starsky and Hutch change their names and move to Hawaii".

September 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron Corey

I agree. Maybe more like "Fast & Furious" meets "NCIS"?
      This first episode seemed to be about too many things all at once and the writers/producers may be trying to appeal to too broad an audience. Shows that are pushed hard by networks (as this one obviously is) always seem to find their "click" of viewers, and I think this one will eventually as well. I just don't see it lasting 12 years and having iconic TV figures like the original series. That show had an aura that can't be imitated. Especially since Hawaii has changed itself so much all these years. And a typical racer-boy Mustang just can't compete with a Big Black Mercury!

September 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Bob McCoy

After growing up watching the original I was a little disappointed. Sorry, but no one can fill Jack Lord's shoes. He just had a certain presence. We'll see how it goes

September 21, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  40. msyellarose

I didn't expct a serious crime / cop show here; just entertainment. I watched plenty of 5 0 reruns as a kid along with any other cop shows on the tube. While I was indeed entertained, I think I' ll give Detroit 187 a shot also. I miss NYPD Blue.

September 21, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Steve M

The early shows of the original series was hilarious. Steve with his comb-over hair, Danny and is no acting self, Chin-Ho and his contant drooling over McGarrett and Kono, well Kono always looked like he was high on drugs. Still, I loved the original.

September 21, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jimmy

This is a terrible show that deserves immediate cancellation. The acting is very wooden as in middle school play, but in a middle school play you dont get the big bucks that the actors in this bomb get paid. When you have the Dano character obscuring McGarrett"s, then CBS should know that they have a TURKEY on its hands. The Marg Clark character is mere token fluff, and unecessary to this show. If you need fluff , the original series had women like Sabrina Scharf, Karen Jensen, Amanda McBroom, that makes Maggie Clark look like a boy. CBS must FIRE the head of programming for assaulting viewers senses with this garbage. But then CBS would have to buy out an expensive contract, and admit they made an error of gigantic proportions. Dont waste a hour of your life with this pablum, and I will bet this series wont last past Turkey Day- Thanksgiving

September 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Tricia

Were there any military members out there who were offended by the unshaven face of McGarrett when in uniform? I realize he is supposed to be a non-conformist, but that doesn't fly in the military. To me it speaks of his disrespect for the military and what it gave him instead of valuing his training. It was the directors mistake on that oneI! was a little bored, but am waiting for the character development to proceed. The first show can lay groundwork for the series and I"ll come back to watch another week.

September 21, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jim

I was a big fan of the original show... I grew up with it...so, it's a tough act to follow, but I think they did an admirable job... http://bit.ly/Hawaii5-0Free

September 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Danny-O

Did they show Wo-Fat for the fifteenth time???

September 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. echell

I had high hopes for this show. I had hoped it would be fun. I had hoped I would care about the characters. I had hoped it would be on the CSi, Criminal Minds, Bones, etc type of level. My hopes were dashed. I found the characters lacking personality. The bickering scenes between Dano and Mcboring felt forced and didn't flow well. The writing and acting was shoddy. The writers should have come up with some original plot devices, at the very least some original reasons that everyone met up on the island. The special effects were okay. The theme music and actual show didn't match in feeling and intensity. I don't think I can even try and make it through another episode. It felt like it wanted to be a movie but failed. Maybe thats what they should have done is create a movie instead of a series.

One shining scene for me was when Mc boring was in the garage and called Jean Smarts character to accept the job. The second scene I liked was when Dano punched Mcboring.

So, my jury is not still out on this, its a big thumbs down for me.

September 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Nakolo

I'm a fan of the original show – I'm a Hawaiian local, I used to watch it as a kid, and I absolutely LOVED the new version. I thought it was funny, entertaining and exciting. I thought the buddy exchanges between McGarrett and Williams were pretty cool, and Grace Park didn't hurt matters. Not a bit. I remember the same kind of chatter when Star Trek TNG came out, and in the end, everything panned out.

September 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Dave

Rita: you are kidding right? Jack Lord was no where near as hot as Alex. (the dark haired one on left) Jack Lord was actually kind of unattractive. They not even in the same league.

September 21, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vrinda

No, Jack Lord was handsome. He had more than physical attractiveness. He had charm, grace, dignity, and intelligence, which he brought to the role of Steve McGarrett. Alex O'Loughlin is a good actor, but not as handsome and nowhere near as talented as Jack.

November 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Rita

I'm sorry but that photo is gross – all of them. I didn't watch so I don't know if they're that unattracted. I'm was a huge fan of the original Hawaii Five-O and Jack Lord was a gorgeous man to look at. But the photo above is turning me off to watch the show. One thing that pays homage to the original – Chin Ho Kelly was accused of taking brides in a episode of the original series. Of course he was found not guilty in the original.

September 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Old School 5-0 Fan

A lot of good comments posted here, and I agree with the vast majority of them and the review. I grew up on the original Hawaii 5-0 and it was one of my favorites series of all time. I'll give this reboot a couple more episodes to see if things flesh out story-wise. Agree a 2-hour pilot would have been better. This one was all over the place, and the speed at which McGarrett gets the new job and introduction of the new characters (along with quite a bit over overly-unrealistic abuse of probably every law enforcement procedure out there...) detracted from the story.

I agree on the characters: Alex O'Laughlin – Jury's out on his McGarrett; Scott Caan – Thought his character was good and entertaining, though nothing like the original Dan-o in terms of how he was portrayed, so not sure if it's the right fit; Daniel Dae Kim – I like Kim a lot from Lost and see his Chin getting better with time; Kono – I really liked Grace Park in Battlestar Galactica, and interesting she's once again playing a reimagined former male character. She's strong, but agree there will have to be more depth for her than looking good (albeit too thin) and punching people.

One big thing that the studios have GOT to get away from: Every police drama does not have to have tons of explosions, big/violent shoot-outs, and pacing that just flashes from one scene to the next in bite-size snippets. This is a direct reflection of our society's obsession with the quick fix, i.e., "If I don't like something the very first time I try it, then I'm trashing it and getting something else/new." Sure, the original 5-0 had car chases and shoot-outs, but they didn't destroy half of Honolulu each episode, which I think is what happened in last night's opener. All that does is make it, as the reviewer said, just like every other cop show out there. The big hit shows are the ones with great stories, great characters, and originality, not total retreading of every over-the-top cliche out there.

It's a brutal critical environment out there for new TV shows, especially with cable eating the Big 3's lunches routinely, but CBS is going to have to step up the originality, cut out the cliches and over-the-top action, and focus on story in order to make this one work long-term. We'll see how it works out...

September 21, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Dave

I was a big Hawaii 5-0 fan and I travel to Hawaii frequently so I was looking forward to this series....I have to say Alex was hot, Grace Park never heard of her, boring character. Unrealistic, any guy could throw her around like a rag doll....scenery was great...Plot.....was very disappointed. A series HAS to grab the viewer from the first episode, with somthing unexpected and intriguing.....I know they were giving the story of how these people came together but they could have done it a whole different way.....just predictable..........Hopefully Alex (steve) and Danno will show more skin to make it more interesting.....Grace needs more clothes.

September 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nakolo

McGarrett and Williams need to "show more skin"? Yuck! For me, Grace can't show too MUCH skin. There's nothing boring about her. We must be coming from really, really, REALLY different povs.

September 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truth

Dave are you drink, insane or just gay. Grace Park is almost as good as Maggie Q. If anything, we need to see MORE of her in the beachwear...

September 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

Grace looks like skin and bones. No more skin needed.

September 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Listen braddahs.......if you don't know by now that tons of dudes are into other dudes, than you are living in your own world...and I'm no fem............ Park needs a moo moo to cover up....and Alex can never show too much skin.

September 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  52. HouMom

Agreed this show has potential. I'm curious to see where it heads. I absolutely LOVE Alex and only watched because he was in it. Hopefully, this series will last long than his others. Alex#2 I agree Moonlight was excellent. I have no clue who Grace Park is or who she was in the show... oh well...

September 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Wendy

From what I saw last nite, I thought the show was good – not great, but passable to make me watch next week. I certainly hope that it does get better & there's a bit more intro to the characters. I grew up watching the reruns of Hawaii 5-0 when I was very young, and loved them, so I was really excited. Now, I'm just hoping they can do justice.

September 21, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Captain Slapaho

So when will we see Grace Park nekkid???

September 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jody

Enjoyed the show and will watch again. Had to chuckle over the reviewer's comment about O'Loughlin seeming a "bit stiff". I am old enough to have seen some of the original series and Jack Lord's "stiffness" is something I remember well.

September 21, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • GKing

Yes, I distinctly remember a review that described Jack Lord's acting being "as stiff as his hair" so thanks for bringing out that point. I loved the new Hawaii 5-0! Great action sequences. Great interplay between Caan and O'Loughlin. I wasn't expecting realism or procedurals – I look to Law & Order, CSI and Criminal Minds for that. I was looking forward to high action entertainment and that's what I got.

September 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Johnny drama

The pilot really needed to be two hours long, that said, it was pretty entertaining. Scott Caan was great and Grace Park, well, she's hotter than the Pu'u 'O'o vent in Kilauea!

September 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Sheryl

I was prepared to dislike the show, but ended up liking very much. Looking forward to more episodes of Hawaii 5-0.

September 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Helen

The main cast was good, but in the case of Alex O'Laughlin and Grace Park, need a few more eps to really get into character. I wasn't sure "who" these characters are yet. McGarrett is supposed to be the linchpin, but he was a little weak here. Kono needs more development (not to mention a sandwich). However, Chin Ho promises a good backstory and Danno stole the show. However, if you're going to get great guest stars like James Marsters and William Sadler, don't kill them off in the pilot! I was a little underwhelmed, but overall I liked it and I'm looking forward to next week.

September 21, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Rob

Have to say, I didn't have much hope for this "reimaging", and I was not let down.
    Why does every character in a show now days have to be edgy, or disfunctional. The original shows characters were all cool. These guys came off as if writers only concern was to hold the 10 second attention span of the average American a few seconds more. No realism whatsoever, the premise is total fantasy. And resolving the primary motivation for the main character in the first episode (although, they never did say they found the body, how cliche) that should have been at least a season long arc.
    Good to see Grace Park again, but it's too bad she seemed only to be around to show off skin (not that I minded that much) but I would expect she was hoping for more.
    Don't have much hope for this continuing unless the writers get good and try to come up with something a bit more realistic.

September 21, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  60. heather

It was okay, not great. It needed a two-hour production that developed the characters. Too much action and not enough story and I missed the music of the original production. The girl played by Grace Park was not believable. CBS has a hit if and only if they will add some depth to the story.

September 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  61. NokiaBaseball

Was hoping for a serious cop show like "NYPD Blue", Law and Order, or even a fun cop show like Miami Vice, or a pseudo cop show like Magnum P.I., Rockford Files, something that respected the original Hawaii 5-0 series. Instead, we got Jack Bauer storms Hawaii and takes no prisoners. This wasn't a cop show, this was a military show, and a bad one at that. Over acting, stupid plot, beautiful scenery. What a disappointment. I'm so disappointed I'm not going to watch it again. Further disappointment would be imminent. I'm out. You guys screwed the pooch on this.

September 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JP Thompson

Totally without a bit of redeeming quality. Just a hodge podge of unrealistic and unconnected fistfights and gunfights. The plot skipped from one thing to another without a bit of correlation. This will be doomed to the trash bin by the sixth episode. A tribute to the total vapid stupidity of brain dead audiences.

September 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Alex Fan #2

It was a great show, yeah, a-typical of all the crime drama's, bit I found it gritty and ivolving. Alex is a great actor no matter if he's playing a kick-butt vampire with heart, a short lived doctor, and he makes a great Steve Garret. The show was action filled and complete, and easy to follow. I thoroughly enjoyed it and hope CBS isn't stupid again and take it out after 16 episodes; Moonlight was an excellent show, too.

September 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Brian

Grace Park, Grace Park, Grace Park! Scott Caan was funny and at times he was channeling his dad's manorisms and stares which in itself was pretty funny! A lot happening for a one hour episode. It should have been a 2 hour pilot, with more story line and charector development. Probably would have been if it was a different economy. We'll have to wait and see.

September 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Nicci

I loved it!! I watched the original. I was excited about this show coming back and I was not disappointed.

September 21, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  66. JimT

I didn't bother. It seems like we already have enough cop / crime shows.

September 21, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • D

Then why bother responding???

September 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggie

@D: Because he wanted to give his opinion! They article did ask "What did you think of last night's "Hawaii Five-O" premiere.

September 22, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
    • @maggie

What did you have for breakfast? Carnation Instant B!tch?

September 22, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  67. ron forneris

For better or for worse, I do remember the original series which was usually interesting but became pretty formulaic toward the end. Too much crammed into the debut episode of the new incarnation, but hopefully they'll use that as fodder for the upcoming episodes and sort things out. A dash of "reality" wouldn't hurt...not even a Governor could protect these guys from some of their behaviors and Grace Park, as pretty as she is, would be unlikely to have anything like "one punch" knock out power. That said, I don't think "realism" was as high on their list of goals as "ratings".......

September 21, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  68. Jack

The first episode was more of an action-adventure than a procedural like the original FIVE-O. It needs some time to develop, but you have to wonder how long CBS will give it. That said, Grace Park is the reason I watched in the first place!

September 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  69. Alex fan

LOL. I feel the same way about Alex O'Loughlin.

September 21, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Tammy

Amen! I love me some Alex and really wanted them to continue Moonlight, but I'll take him any way I can get him.

September 23, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nina

You and me both, sister! Alex is a rare combo of hot, manly and talented. I will tune in for an hour of almost anything, as long as it has him in every scene.

September 26, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  70. Truth

I don't care if Grace Park was reading the dang phone book, it would still be riveting television.

September 21, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |