Theories on 'The Event' abound
September 21st, 2010

Theories on 'The Event' abound

"'The Event' was what would happen if you took some '24,' 'Flash Forward,' and 'Lost' and placed it in a blender. The result so far looks to be a hot mess."

So said iReporter Harry Crosland after watching Monday night's premiere of the much-anticipated "The Event." Approximately 10.8 million viewers watched it with him, and hundreds of those viewers weighed in with their thoughts about the conspiracy thriller - which included an airplane being chased down by an SUV, mysterious detainees and that same plane getting sucked into a vortex - right here on the Marquee Blog.

Not unlike what Crosland had to say, there was a lot of criticism - for example, "Jack" really didn't like the structure of the pilot: "With all the back and forth and then back again I felt like I was taking an online test and had to be glued to the TV in order to figure out what was going on. Way too much happening and nothing resolved."

"Ralph T" disagreed: "The story was a bit hard to follow at first, but when I stopped worrying about understanding it and just went with the flow things started coming together. It's a terrific ride! I look forward to every episode!"

Theories as to what was happening abound, like this one: "Seemed to me it was a show about time travel. There were differences in the shots of the president running to his cavalcade [and] the last one had him stopping and noticing changes. The wind was from a wormhole being opened. The people in the prison were time travelers from the future being kept locked away so as not to influence events and/or to allow only the government access to what they know."

Another one, from "John:" "My guess, the detainees (did someone say 'the others?') are either super smart scientists who are too dangerous to leave alone out in the world out of fear that they will be taken and used by a hostile country to create WMDs, time travelers, or they are aliens (not alternate universe due to that being taken by 'Fringe')."

"Carlos" had the most unique theory of all: "This sounding board IS The Ev3nt!"

Any more thoughts or theories? Post your comment below, or share an iReport.

1. Bill Boushka

Yup, it could be time travel or alternate universes. My own thought is that it could be "soul contraction" - I shouldn't give this away, since that is the concept of my own "unpublished" novel manuscript that I find a hard time getting right. If you talk too much about stuff you haven't posted, it might get used anyway.

Or maybe it could be sometime sinister like a coming EMP attack.

The "alt unvierse" idea seems logical when Ritter's character finds he no longer has his ship cruise "hotel room". Next time my magnetic hotel key doesn't work I'll wonder if I've tripped into the wrong universe.

The time travel idea seems logical when you think about the detainees.

Yup, where did the plane go? Sounds like The 4400.

Why was Jason Ritter's character "tested" earlier with the water rescue? Maybe "they" are testing him to see if he can play superman. Why is his girl friend's father the airplane pilot?

We know from previews that Jason's character survives. How do you survive a wormhole?

All of this makes you want to go to Daniel's (a biker bar near Baltimore) to relax. Bill

September 27, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. P. Zaraza

It wasn't hard to follow... it was BORING to follow it back and forth. I had big expectations with this show, and now I'm even considering watching the next episode.

September 23, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chip

“The Event” is the vortex of an air disturbance that sucked the plane away. It is something that can be controlled by that governmental agency the president discovered. We don’t yet know where “The Event” can take things, but that’s sure to be revealed soon, probably in the next episode.
    The Event is similar to the concept we’ve all heard used in the theory of General Relativity, as in “The EVENT Horizon” of Black Holes.
    For reference, check out Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time”.
    Go GATORS !!!

September 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. John

Anyone know who the Asian dude was? He came into the story but was never developed. Also, Sanrf, the only one killed of the girlfriends family was her mom. The dad is the pilot of the plane.

September 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. thewriter

Too hard to follow? If it was easy to follow, and in chronological order, then the complaints would all be "show is too obvious and easy to figure out" I like the idea of a show that you actually have to use your brain a little. Its pretty obvious that it is intentionally shown out of sequence to initiate a response and viewer following. Considering all teh responses, positive or negative, I think it did its job. "Lost" got people following it for 6 years and always left people confused and did pretty well with the ratings and critics. Give the show a chance before you deem it as "complicated and confusing" I plan to check out a few episodes and see.

September 22, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Tiger

I was very confused but I will give in another week or two to see if I can put it all together. The above comments are all interesting ..... but watching a plane descend on an island and nobody moving was pretty unreal, especially as the President was just sitting in a car watching.

September 22, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. Trammer

The show was very intriguing. It had substantive nuggets that reminded me of "The 4400." I agree the back and forth of the timeline was a bit much to the point that I felt I alomost had to take out a notepad to keep up but I flowed with it. I like that the story jumped into right away, like "Lost" but I stopped watching "Lost" after the fifth episode could not move them from the plane. I like the five-year arc, like "Babylon 5", and barring any suddne cast changes it should make for a stable show, not one that moves at the wind of the audience.

September 22, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. matt

The show was tough to follow going back to previous times and then current times. However the prisoners are clearly scientists that have been illegally captured to create ridiculous technology for the US government. The hijacking and stuff was probably orchestrated by some group within the government to test the equipment and putting the presidents life in danger and then saving it without any trouble would be a pretty good way to justify throwing people civil rights out the door....

September 22, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lm

When I started watching the Event I was a little confuse by what was going on. But the longer I watched it the Event became very interesting. It did have you wondering why they kept jumping back and forth. But I has me wondering now who are the detainees and where did they come from. I will be watching next week. Good so far.

September 22, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  10. michaelfury

Until you understand this "event", you should not allow yourself to be distracted by fictions:

September 22, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. stereobot

The 97 people held at the Alaskan prison are the passengers from the air plane that vanished. The plane was sent back in time and the government can't let them go for the fear of the technology getting out or because of a paradox.

September 22, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  12. Snarf

Well for a starter it had so much things around that people will lose track of everything (remember Flashforward?).
    There was no starting point, no showing of something happening or what had changed.
    On the boat everything changed without showing us anything. The guy was on the small boat with the girl that he saved and when he arrived at the cruiser and didn´t found his girlfriend, he started to call everyone outside? Anyone would try to contact the last person that was with him... that would make his story a point, not a phone call to a distant girlfriend family (that was killed and the little sister kidnapped).
    Then the president... well those FBI security were so stupid that they would just stuck the president on the last car of a line? Well somebody didn´t checked out that the president car is always the first one on the line for a faster getaway in some dangerous situation. A motorcade is something completly different and that was the point depicted on that situation.
    So lets hope they start to correct the mess on the next episode or this will be a fast show to go down the drain.

September 22, 2010 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

I loved the first episode so much! This was incredible – I definitely think this show is going to be an incredible edition to my weekly lineup.. so happy the ratings were high! http://www.thesmogger.com

September 22, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. EJKorvette

Yes people are complainging "It's too hard to follow" wah wah wah. I like long involved convoluted story arcs à la LOST and Carnivalè. I will be watching The Event every week. Finally NBC has a must-watch show again.

September 21, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • heathcliff13

EJKorvette – aren't they out of business...or is that the EVENT?

September 24, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |