Michael C. Hall opens up on cancer diagnosis
September 20th, 2010

Michael C. Hall opens up on cancer diagnosis

For “Dexter” star Michael C. Hall, his 39th birthday in February was a loaded one. Not only was he facing his own mortality after being diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma last January, but his own father succumbed to prostate cancer at 39.

"I think I’ve been preoccupied since I was 11, and my father died, with the idea of the age 39: Would I live that long? What would that be like?" Hall told the New York Times. "To discover that I had the Hodgkin’s was alarming, but at the same time I felt kind of bemused, like: Wow. Huh. How interesting.”

Hall received his diagnosis in the middle of shooting the fourth season of his hit cable series, but kept it a secret from cast and crew and waited until production wrapped before undergoing chemotherapy. His cancer is now in remission, and besides being back to work on "Dexter," he also filmed the movie "East Fifth Bliss" during the show's hiatus.

Hall's wife, "Dexter" co-star Jennifer Carpenter, 30, admits she initially cried when she heard of his illness but found strength by following his lead.

"The triumph of a man, to have gone through something like that and not even give the crew any suspicions that he was in any sort of need," she told the Times, "it’s impressive."

1. Bonnie R

Merry Christmas to Michael and 2011 will be a better year for you. I agree with all the above in that he is an awesome actor and I watched him in Six Feet Under and then in Dexter. Take care and remember the audience loves you!!! You rock!!

December 24, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Deb M

I first saw Michael on six feet under and realized he was an awesome actor. I started watching Dexter since their first day and am even more impressed with his control, his delivery and timing. There could never be anyone that could replace him. Michael makes Dexter my all-time favorite show in my life. I am glad he is now in remission and hope the very best for him.

December 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. RS

I've been a fan of his since Six Feet Under. The guy is a remarkable actor. Good to see his wife stayed by his side through all of this. Both are great actors (she was amazing in The Exorcism of Emily Rose). I think it's cool that he held off on announcing to anyone, because he didn't want to be the focal point of everything. He was more worried about keeping it on the down low, so he could take care of himself, and his wife was able to help him. His health and marriage came before everything else, and that just shows he's a smart man. Michael I hope your cancer stays gone. I'd hate to lose you, because you are one fantastic actor.

September 23, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LTJ

Much talent. All the best to him..Always be hopeful !

September 21, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank

Jennifer Carpenter is married to him? :(

Good luck to him with the cancer.

September 21, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Barb

I myself am in remission, I'm working towards my 5-years cancer free mark!! Which is 2 years away!! You can do it Michael, you're strong and the power of family and positive thinking works wonders!! The best to you and all of us who are and have been beating the cancer beast!!

September 21, 2010 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Head Diva In Charge

So glad to hear this story. To many people famous and not are lost to Cancer each year! Be healthy Michael!

September 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. beenz

Michael – I've survived 3 bouts of cancer.. it can be done! Take care of yourself and kick some a$$!

September 20, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sean

He killed cancer because cancer kills others. In Dexter's world, that fits Harry's code :)

I <3 MCH

September 20, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Brett

He is so talented. I wish him all the best.

September 20, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |