Who's seeing 'The Town' this weekend?
September 17th, 2010

Who's seeing 'The Town' this weekend?

Ben Affleck’s “The Town,” opening in theaters nationwide today, is the Boston-bred actor’s second time in the director’s chair, and he's assembled an intriguing cast to help him pull off the job.

The crime thriller is set in a Boston neighborhood notorious for its bank robbers, with Affleck taking the lead role as one of the best of the baddies, Doug MacRay. “Mad Men’s” Jon Hamm, perhaps trying to loosen the tie on his retro image, plays an FBI agent who would love to put an end to Doug's success, and “Vicky Cristina Barcelona’s” Rebecca Hall stars as the woman who makes Doug think twice about being resolved to a life of crime.

Jeremy Renner fills out the role of Doug’s hard-core but loyal best friend Jem, and Blake Lively also appears in a role that's removed from her “Gossip Girl” alter-ego as his rough-around-the-edges sister.

Although the plot sounds a touch clichéd, filled with tropes about the crime kingpin wanting to turn over a new leaf and falling for the very woman he's supposed to maintain zero emotions for, but perhaps if a plot device isn’t broken, there’s no need to fix it.

Washington Post critic Ann Hornaday thought the movie was solid, saying that “ 'The Town’ has a lot going for it: terrific cast, good writing, [and] some nifty psychological reversals,” with the best news being “that Affleck makes it all move.”

The Toronto Sun agrees that this is one movie that “puts the thrill in thriller,” keeping the pace going at a nice clip with “edge-of-your seat robbery and get-away sequences.” The critic adds, “The story is a study of loyalty and betrayal, and it's violent; your emotional investment has been so carefully cultivated that every character's fate becomes important.”

It’s an impressive result that many critics lay down at the feet of Affleck, holding up “The Town” as proof that he’s a skillful, self-assured director.

“For the most part, Affleck the director succeeds in holding a lot of threads together, and manages to keep us in our seats for the full 130-min running time — no small feat,” critiques Time’s Mary Pols. “It's perverse to say this about something so bloody, but it goes down like cinematic comfort food.”

Did you find Affleck's "Town" just as satisfying? Let us know with an iReport review, and we’ll round up your thoughts on Monday.

Filed under: movies

1. trickk

really?

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. erricka

saw the movie sunday my boyfriend enjoyed it more than i did. I knew i should of seen Inception instead but it was ok dont think i would buy the movie but at least it kept me awake so it wasnt a total snooze.

September 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fan

fyi: I didn't read the post above me till after I posted.

September 20, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Fan

I didn't have high expectations but I really enjoyed it. It's no Heat, no oscar, but it was entertaining and that's all you can ask for.

September 20, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Rich

Saw it Friday night and it was good. Very entertaining. I'd give it an overall grade of B/B+. They should have taken each action scene and stretched it out another 2 minutes to really soak up the intensity. Heat is still #1, this competes and may make the top 3 bank robber movie list.

September 20, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. eent tech dude

Saw it yesterday and was not disappointed in the storyline, action, or ending. Nice job Mr. Afleck and crew.

September 20, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. sF218

I saw it Saturday afternoon ad thought it was terrific. A little too violent for my taste ( I had to close my eyes a few times) but the pace was just right and I never once thought about what I was going to do after the movie. That's a plus in my book. It was well cast and each actor made his/her character believable. Chris Cooper had a wonderful, riveting cameo as Affleck's dad and I wanted to see more of him. I've never seen Jon Ham in Mad Men but he is definitely an actor to watch. Good movie and I would see it again. Well done, Ben Affleck!

September 20, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. ILO

Loved d movie..

September 19, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ugh

Ugh. I just moved out of Boston. I guess I'll see it and try to find things to complain about. :(

September 19, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lori

best thing about this was Ben Aflecks body shot and seeing so much of his pretty face. movie was only OK. Pretty predictable. sorry Ben.

September 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. alexandria

Amazing movie! Worth every penny. Can't wait to buy it. Good job Ben!

September 19, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Benson

G

September 19, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. ben's #1 fan

loved the movie! Don't underestimate Ben..... He's amazing in everything he does :)

September 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. michelle thompson

I just loved the movie! i would like to see it again. Ben was great, it is great to see him back again. I give the movie & performances an A rating!

September 19, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. corrinn

my family and i saw the movie last night, we loved it. Ben Affleck is a very good actor and a director as well. Good job! will watch it again.

September 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. corrinn

my family and i saw the movie last night, we loved it. Ben Afflect is a very good actor and a director as well. Good job! will watch it again.

September 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Paul

I wonder why I wonder

September 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Gary Bowman

Top top movie..

September 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ernie

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Hope to see more from him in the future. like an Eastwood for my generation!!

September 19, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  20. Paul

The new Bullet

September 19, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. mark

Just saw the movie I think it was better then the preview showed. This movie should have been advertised much more then it was. Here in new york I did not see that many ads. I liked the ending.

September 19, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. coco

Sucked! By the way there is nothing to steal in Fenway. They should have knocked off the so called team.

September 19, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  23. lisa

I thought it was great!!

September 19, 2010 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  24. Shell

Saw it with my husband and we both loved it, cannot wait to see it again :~)

September 19, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  25. Steven Segal

Pile of sh!tt.

September 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Karen

Fabulous movie...very well done.

September 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. brian

everybody get off the crack and stop wasting time on here, he's 8 years old and probably doesn't know how to make ice cubes. who gives a crap about his love life

September 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Larry

"Boston-bred actor"?... Wasn't Affleck born in the Bay Area?

September 18, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • richlost

Born in Berkeley Ca, raised in Cambridge Ma, five minutes from where the movie was shot.

September 19, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Townie

5 minutes and a world away from Charlestown (the town within Boston where this story is based.) Annoying he's letting people imply he grew up there when he didn't. But whatever -looks like a cool movie, looking fwd to seeing it.

September 19, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  29. Vivian Smith

Just walked out of the movie! Wow! Adventure and hot people.

September 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rachael

Saw the movie yesterday afternoon! Solid performances and awesome directing! Ben nails it and nice to see Jon Hamm in another role. Both are amazing and it is a movie I will buy.

September 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Anna-banana

In the theatre right now....show about to start! got napkins in case I start to drool uncontrollably over Hammie. Yum!

September 18, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Billy Ray Valentine

The movie has major flaws which the PR junket machines are not commenting on. 1.) The Irish mob boss who supposedly has this major backstory in the main characters life seems to come out of nowhere, and suddenly walks into the story as the beginning of the third act begins. This would be passable if this mob boss didn't fuel the gas for the launching of the third act. Affleck uses this undeveloped character as a crutch to lean the criminal conflict element of his movie that he didn't develop from the beginning.
    2.) The scenes between Affleck and the FBI police detective

September 18, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  33. matt

Great movie, they should have gone after the Yankees tho.... not the Sox

September 18, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  34. SaintPetersburg

Loved the movie. Really flawless. Had me gripped from beginning to the end. A lot of moments catch you off guard. Just enough of humor and funny moments. I was dying when he she asked him "what happened?" and his response was "she left............................." ahha

The whole cast was impeccable. I always thought Affleck was an underrated actor who has had some hit and misses (he was really good in Good Will Hunting and Hollywoodland). Jeremy Renner was sensational as a trigger happy psycho. Jon Hamm was great. Blake Lively was such a revelation...who knew the gossip girl could put a performance up like that?!

Must see.

September 18, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  35. thissucks

I don't like it! Kidding. Loved it!

September 18, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  36. tapiocagirl

Saw this last night and hats off to Affleck, he was amazing. Also loved seeing Blake Lively bust out such a different character than her usual goody two shoes persona. She played an amazing hard-edge townie girl. I could hardly believe it was her.

September 18, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  37. Tones M

Great action, good writing and solid acting. I definitely enjoyed the movie.

September 18, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  38. joe

i just saw this movie and its pretty good, the shootouts are good and the ending was just right. I have my own movie rating system. im going to buy it, ill just rent it again and i never want to see it again and this movie is almost right at buy.

September 18, 2010 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  39. Yoni617

Ben did it again! Gone baby gone was well crafted and well thought out. The town is no different, great cast! Great story! And great acting specially by Ben, living 5 minutes from Charlestown i can tell you the road closings were absolutely worth it!!

The town Is without a doubt this year's best! Ben is quickly starting to place himself amongst the greats young directors such as Christopher Nolan. Much like christopher, Bens ability to visualize a project from beginning to end really pay off at the box office...

4.8 out 5

September 18, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  40. cynthia zaleska

I grew up in Boston. Watching this was chilling. I am so proud of Ben. He nailed it. Ben is a star in every sense of the word.

September 18, 2010 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  41. MJ

Just saw it tonight...badazz! Oscar-worthy performance by Affleck; excellent directing as well. No giveaways; just see it.

September 18, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  42. Marisol

Heck ya I'm going to see a movie with both Ben Affleck and Jon Hamm!

September 18, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  43. I cataldi

The story and cast were solid ! Bravo Mr. Affleck you are truly academy award caliber !

September 18, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  44. Harvard square

I saw they shot the bank robbery scene at Harvard Square. Ben looked awesome. Can't wait to see it on big screen

September 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  45. carl andred

i saw this at 645pm. its amazing! had me guessing what was gunna happen next which totally keeps u interested through it all! perfection.

September 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. saw_it_monday

Liked the movie. Having grown-up in Mass., I enjoyed the accents, the on-location shots and the action.

September 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Maureen

I'm in. Saw the trailer and I'm willing to pay to see it now. I always believed in Ben. Can hardly wait! Cheers.

September 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Megs

Saw it today and loved it. Solid film, very gritty, and worth every cent.

September 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Tim

The movie was well acted, steady in it's pace. The story was interesting and Ben Affleck did a great job directing. Of give it an A.

September 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  50. mejazzbo

I saw the movie this afternoon. Without giving anything away, it was well worth seeing on the big screen.

September 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Anna-banana

Jon Hamm is freakin' HOT!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kerry

It lives up to the hype. Solid

September 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  53. anthony gutierrez

Man this movie better bring it! just got my tickets, hope i didnt throw away twenty bucks!

September 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Thesglife

Can't wait to see it. Been looking for a movie similar to Heat. I'm not expecting this movie to top that classic in any way but I do love the genre so much. Ben Affleck is definitely a director that should be taken seriously.

September 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Mike

A Boston Gangsta movie? I'm there! Just hope I don't spend too much time with the accents.

September 17, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Vlad Kuznetsov

Fantastic. Really good. Unconventional ending as opposed to traditional ending for bank robbers.

September 17, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Kimmy

The trailer gives too much away but I'll go see it anyway. Jeremy Renner was only nominated for an Oscar. He didnt win. Jeff Bridges won.

September 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Diamond

Boston gangster movie? I wouldn't miss it for the world. I bought my ticket online for the 10:30 show tonight.

September 17, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |