Last episode of 'As the World Turns' airs today
September 17th, 2010

Last episode of 'As the World Turns' airs today

"The World" is coming to an end. After a 54-year-run on television, "As the World Turns" will air its final episode today.

Following its debut on CBS in April, 1956, the daytime drama, set in the fictitious town of Oakdale, Ill., went on to become a huge hit, spawning a 1965 spinoff, "Our Private World," and becoming a significant part of pop culture, reports the Huffington Post.

Besides inspiring the "As the Stomach Turns" sketch on "The Carol Burnett Show" in the 1970s, it got a shout out in last season's "Mad Men" episode in which Walter Cronkite interrupts the soap to announce President Kennedy's assassination.

The sudser also served as a launching pad for several famous faces who went on to even bigger careers in movies and music, including Martin Sheen, Lauryn Hill, Dana Delaney, Emmy Rossum, Parker Posey and Julianne Moore, who won a Daytime Emmy for her dual roles as half-sisters Frannie and Sabrina Hughes, and recently returned to "As the World Turns" for a guest appearance as the former character.

"The View"-inspired chat show "The Talk" will replace the departing soap opera, but it won't soon be soon forgotten by fans.

As Barbara Bloom, senior vice president of daytime programming for CBS, said, "The true legacy of 'As the World Turns' will be the fictional characters and stories of a small Midwest town that resonated every day with millions of viewers over multiple generations, becoming a treasured daytime institution in the process."

1. Milteishaq Hornbeaka

Whats up very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your site and take the feeds alsoЎKI am satisfied to seek out so many useful information here in the publish, we need develop extra techniques in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

July 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. al

If you want more insight into Oakdale, read Oakdale Confidential, and right now I'm selling a SIGNED copy by Alina Adams.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oakdale-Confidential-2006-Hardcover-signed-by-Alina-Adams-/251020407084?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3a71fb712c

March 18, 2012 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Watersisland

I absolutely HATED the introductory music for that show. It had just come out about the time I was three years old. When that music started....I KNEW it was NAPTIME. My mom would stick me in the crib and then leave me there for over two hours as she'd watch one tv soap after another. To this day(well, untill sometime in the 70's anyway-I think they finally ldid change the tune?) I hear that same old tune and it retrieves uncomfortable memories of ABANDONMENT.
    Parker Posey? Was she on this show? I wish I'd seen her. She's a sweetheart!

January 23, 2012 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. aylaeh

I still remember the first time that I ever watched this show. I was staying the week with my grandma. There had been a plane wreck and Barbra and John were in it. I also remember Betsy and Steve. (betsy was played by meg ryan). She was my favorite character on the whole show for a long time. I remember when lilly found it that Lucinda want her real mom, Sierra was. For a long time I had a major crush on Brian Bloom, who played Barbra's son Paul. I miss this show even nearly a year after it was taken off the air.

June 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Liin Mayer

This is rediculous. Do you kknow how many older people watched this TV show and it became part of their family whick they enjoyed and now there is another talk show which does not make sense. There are so majny talk shows. m
    Give your audience a break and let them enjoy their daily shows ad we don't need tio have a buch of show business elites talk about their concerns. Let the woman and others enjoy their soaps.

LLM

October 28, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ann

like many others, I watched ATWT since 1960, felt like it was my family, no matter where I was at 1:00 I found a TV to watch my show. Everybody knew not to bother me while it was on. I am satisfied with the way the show ended, it was easier to accept the fact that Monday, I wouldn't rush to find a TV for my show. That is, except for Lily and Holden, I really wanted them to get back together. John and Lucinda's relationship was a pleasant surprise. You forgot a couple of other stars, Meg Ryan and I think Lindsey Frost? How about Josh, can't remember his real name.

October 3, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  7. cdill

I have only watched 2 soaps my whole life and CBS has taken them BOTH off the air. I wonder what their thinking is by replacing them with MORE game and talk shows. Seems like that is all that is on TV anymore. I am about ready to quit paying for cable, as I am really sick of Talk and Reality shows. Especially those that lean to the left ...............

October 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sylvia James

I love as the world turn I'm not a happy that it ends I hope you will reconsidered your decision thank you will you send me picture of Carey she was my favourite any way I enjoyed the show over the years

October 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marissa

I have been watching ATWT with my mom and cousin after school for years now. I look at other soaps and think how can they still be on the air. Atwt is the absolute best soap out there. Please bring it back on. I think that it should of been announced after it being official that the show was being cancelled and showed the last air date after each episode on CBS. People are in shock over this and never had a clue, but if it was posted after each eposide then something could of been done, maybe CBS would not of cancelled it. Where is the loyalty CBS? Bring ATWT back!! I love you Jack/Carly...you two are the best couple ever. You both belong together forever and wish for that kind of man if my life in my future. Thanks for showing what a great man should be with his character. CBS come on....ATWT needs to be back on t.v.

September 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lori

Jack Snyder on ATWT is my t.v. husband....I loved watching him from the start of his career on his very first episode on ATWT and fell in love with him the minute he showed up. Carly, Emma-The Farm House, Holden/Lilly and so many others have been a part of my life for years. You never get tired of watching a Soap, but Talk Shows/Game Shows, I could care a less about. This soap is AWESOME and should of never been taken off the air. CBS you should do the right thing and bring ATWT back on.

September 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lori

I am so upset that CBS cancelled ATWT for a stupid talk show. What do you get from a talk show...Nothing, but ATWT you get to grow up with them and love the storylines, romance and friendships and treasure it, and it was down to earth, etc. ATWT is the best soap around. CBS you made a hugh mistake taking ATWT off air, and leaving on Bold & the beautiful, which is so not a good soap to watch. You don't care about what you have done, but to so many people, you have showed no loyalty to this matter, because it does not matter to you, and my loyalty does not remain with CBS because of what you have done. I love all of you on ATWT. Please have another network pick them back up again!

September 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. michelle

I can't believe ATWT is over ~! It's my favorite soap. You would think it would have went out with a bigger bang!

September 22, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Holly Golightly

Also ATWT started Meg Ryan's career...

September 22, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Holly Golightly

As The World Turns was on radio. My mother and grandmother used to listen to it.

September 22, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Nina

My mother sz ATWT was known as Stella Dallas on the radio..

September 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Christine

Well to begin with, everyone has a preferance of what they want to watch, I noticed smart remarks. I enjoy As the World Turns I also loved Guiding Light to. There are enough talk shows and they would still be on with As the World Turns on Im very dissapointed.

September 22, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. annie bird

I LISTEN TO ASE THE WORLD ON THE RADIO AS A CHILD UP TO NOW.I WELL MISS THEM AND I WELL NOT LOOK AT THE PRICE IS RIGHT.WHEN BOB LEFT I STOP LOOKING AT THE SHOW.NOW THAT ASTHE WORLD TURN IS GONE THERE IS NOTHING ON CBS TO LOOK DURING THE DAY TIME .MY T.V WELL BE ON CHANEL 60&6I LAW AND ORDER MY OTHER FAVORET STATION, THE ONLY SOAP I WELL BE LOOKIN AT NOW IS THE YOUNG AND RESTLESS. BOLD AND BEAUTY SUCKS CANT STAND THEM THEY ARE TO HOERISH. PLEASE LET THE CAST KNOW THAT I AND A LOTS MORE FANS WELL MIS THEM THEY HAN A BAD AND SAD GOOD BY IT WAS NOT AS GOO AS GUILDING LIGHT ,THEY LET USE KNOW IN ADVANCE YOU DIDNT GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL AND GOD BLESS YOU.

September 20, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  18. portalpunk

go to it

September 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  19. portalpunk

suckas

September 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dee-Dee

CBS doesn't care what the fans think, and won't listen to them, So I will no longer care what CBS thinks, and will not be watching their network.

September 20, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  21. Rose

They left out a very important person in that picture of the cast...Emma!! She has a HUGE history on that show. I hope she's okay.

Oh, and it wasn't really CBS' fault the show ended, you can blame it on Proctor & Gamble, the ones who sponsored the show to sell their products. They said they could no longer afford to pay the long-standing veterans. I will no longer support P&G products, sorry! =(

September 20, 2010 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. shelia

If it is so expensive to produce a quality soap opera that apparently a lot of people would like to see, why doesnt CBS offer continuing to produce these soap operas and ask for a small monthly programming fee... I personally would be willing to spend an extra 2 bucks a month to watch what I want rather than be forced to choose between the worst and the awful. I know theres gonna be a bunch of folks that dont like what I am saying or tell me to stop watching tv if I dont like it. In response to that, first I nearly have stopped watching tv, daytime is about all I was watching since I was injured and can no longer work and two it would be an optional thing, you wouldnt have to participate. It's an idea, I personally am realityed out! At least with ATWT I could relate on a small scale and be grateful that my life is just not quite that bad.

September 19, 2010 at 6:24 am | Report abuse |
  23. Irene Lehman

I, too, will miss ATWT immensely. I remember when my mom watched it when I was in high scool and i've watched it for over 50 years. I didn't see Meg Ryan mentioned or Marisa Tomei. Also, what about Dr. Bob's siblings? It was a great show!

September 19, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Krystal

I am very upset that "As The World Turns" is going off air. I am very disappointed....

September 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mildred Perryman

I am nearly 80 years old. I have watched "As the World Turns" almost from the beginning. Originally in black and white. I will miss my long time friends. I'm sorry it's gone.

September 18, 2010 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kristina

I've been watching ATWT since it started ... I was on summer vacation, in High School, my mother said, oh, I'm watching this wonderful show in the afternoon ...

Well, I got hooked.

Maybe I haven't watched every episode in the last 50-some years, but definitely in the past 30, just about everyone. Why? Who knows? Habit ... I couldn't stop myself ...

Sad to say, I'm going to miss this terribly ... it was a part of my life (albeit of little significance). When Dr. Bob said "good night," boy, I teared up ...

For me (and I did watch most of them at one time or another), As The World Turns was the best. And think of it, just how many extremely successful actresses came from this "soap"!! Actors, too ...

Bye, I'll miss you guys ...

September 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Auntie Edie

Does anyone know where I can see the last show?
    I was on my way home from Germany (literally in the plane) and had a friend tape it but the tape broke.
    Is the last episode posted somewhere? Thanks

September 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Eliza

I immigrated from Germany in 1961 and got married in Texas. That's where I first got acquainted with ASWT. Although I had nine years English in school, I learned a lot of conversational terms from the show, and when young Liza told her mother-in-law "I won't dignify that comment with a reply" I thought it was so elegant. I watched the show for two years, went on to get an MBA and worked hard for 29 years. Whenever I was home on leave or sick, I would watch the show. Recording a show was unknown. So after many years overseas and finally retirement, I turned on "As the World Turns" and here was Dr. Bob, and there was Liza, no longer his wife but married multiple times to others. I was enthralled to see grandma again and meet all the new characters. I've been a faithful friend of the show, and this one hour each weekday, was my own restful time, where I engaged in the lives of the folks of Oakdale. I've been so sad when I saw it for the last time on the 17th.
    I wish all those terrific actors and background staff the best of luck in their future endeavors and I want to assure all of them that they will be sorely missed by many unknown friends to whom they brought joy.

September 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Texas Mom

Although The Young and The Restless is the only soap I kept up with. Although growing up I did watch all the shows that used to air on CBS ATWT,BAB,TYATR, and GL. I used to watch all of them with my mother and my Nana. We had good times watching these shows and they will truly be missed.

September 18, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tamlyn

I can't help but feel angry. 2 of my favorite shows have been taken from me in the last 2 yrs. I've never understood the appeal of a game show. Especially one so extremely stupid and no where near original. And now a talk show? I know Oprah is leaving and everyone is trying to get her piece of the market. But how many times can we discus cheating husbands and pregnant teens? To take something so ingrained in our psyche, in our life is just wrong. No one consulted the fans. No one asked if we wanted a talk show. It was left to a bunch of people who are completely out of touch with those who watch soaps. Believe it or not there are still stay at home moms and dad who like them.

CBS has steadily shown it doesnt care for daytime fans over the years with all the preempting of sports and special programming. But to be honest this feels more like a complete disregard. CBS has some of the worst programming latly anyway. I guess this is just par for the course.

September 18, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  31. darkgardyner

I am so sad about this cancellation...sickened really. Another great program down the flusher. I have boycotted CBS and P&G...they can eat it.

And, no, ATWT was NEVER on the radio. The very first words of script were spoken by Helen Wagner on April 2nd of 1956, on the set...NOT on the radio. I think alot of people have this confused with Guiding Light, which did begin as a serial radio program, and later transitioned to television.

September 18, 2010 at 7:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. dreman0222

As a longtime viewer of daytime soaps, I am sad to see ATWT leave the air. By cancelling GL and now ATWT, CBS has proven it doesn't care about its older audience. Y&R and B&B (considered younger and hipper) remain on, but their appeal is not as good to me. I can't relate to the Newmans, Chancellors, Abbotts, or Forresters. On the other hand, the citizens of Oakdale were everyday people. While I will miss ATWT, I am glad to know it had a successful 54 year run. I especially would like to thank the cast and crew for the tremendous job over the past years. The storylines this past year have been extremely awesome. As for CBS, I am done with its programming.

September 18, 2010 at 6:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. B.

Please, not yet another talk show. What an insult to the actors from ATWT. What about all of us who watched the show for years. Does anyone care about what we want to watch. Have the networks thought about running the shows less often but keeping them running just like they are doing with other shows. Also, why weren't any of the daily stars mentioned. Article is an insult.

September 18, 2010 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  34. Pacoatemiami

They should end it in some really cool way, like they all die in a zombie attack or a nuclear war.

September 18, 2010 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  35. Laura

My grandmother babysat, and at 12:30 the children were told to be quiet and sit down so she could watch "As the World Turns". After she watched her program she'd call her friends and they'd talk about the show's characters like they were real neighbors. When I was 10 I came home for lunch, turned on As the World Turns, Cronkite interrupted the program with the news about President Kennedy. (Very vivid memory)

September 18, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jana

I only watched the show a few times. However, as crappy as t.v. has been the last 10-15 years. watching daytime serials is waaaaaaaay better.

I hope the don't cancel The Young and The Restless. I think it's theeee only show left. Sad.

Now they'll put some crappy show on and it won't last a year. Booooooooooooo!

September 18, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  37. Frank

"walkeww" is correct. ATWT was never on radio. If "priceworks" can cite a source for the claim that it was on radio for 4 years, I'll eat it. According to As the World Turns by Judy Poll, The Soap Opera Encyclopedia by Chris Schemering, The Encyclopedia of Television, Wikipedia. As "chrisr266" states, Guiding Light began on radio but ATWT was a television original. "Educate yourself," "priceworks."

September 18, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  38. Nita

Today was a black day...we are supposed to give up a beloved show for a cheap talk show? I WON'T BE WATCHING!! Except for the Young and the Restless I'm DONE with CBS! CBS does not give a fig about It's viewers. I feel like I have lost dear friends and family today. I have watched this show and loved the actors for many years. I loved the Hughes, Stewert's, and Snyder's. I loved Emma in her kitchen, she was mother earth, who can ever forget John Dixon and Lucinda in that tub years ago? LOL! Thanks so much for bringing John back! Barbara and Henry were such fun to watch and Luke and Reid broke my heart with Reid's death. Bob and Kim, Andy, Cal and Connor,Tom and Margo, Damian,Simon.Lyla, and Casey,Hal Munson, Carley and Jack, Parker, Dusty and Janet, Craig, Brad and Katie, Lisa,& Alma,Caleb Snyder, Holden and Lily, Paul, Emily, Meg, Chris and Nancy, and grand-pa Hughes, Ellen Stewart, David Stewart, Susan Stewert, I loved all of you and I'll never forget you and you will all be truly missed!! I guess this means James Stenbeck can finally RIP...to all the cast and crew THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES! I hope to see you again! Blessings...

September 18, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  39. Scooby

Thank you to all of the actors who came into my home and became part of my every day routine. I feel a sense of loss, like the people I once knew are no longer there. However, life goes on. As Christina Rossetti once said, "Better by far you should forget and smile, than that you should remember and be sad". Good luck, and good night.

September 18, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  40. Donovan Sanchez

GOOD! Soap Operas are nothing but poison for the mind; it's destroys moral values!

September 18, 2010 at 12:30 am | Report abuse |
  41. bleh

Time to make somthing of yourselves you fat Bon Bon eating females. Time to pull your weight!

September 18, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  42. TAW

first guiding light now this!! a little depressing, i feel sooo old! I'm about sick of all of these "talk" shows! it was nice to watch something so fake yet so real (at times), that would take your mind off all of your problems and give you characaters to love and hate. the relationships also could remind you that there is hope for romance out there! well, now i'm down to young & the restless....hope they can survive for a couple more decades! well done ATWT cast! favorite characters....jack & carly!! :)

September 18, 2010 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  43. Don

I never saw a single episode

September 18, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  44. Krankyjane

In the words of Bob Hughes... Goodnight CBS! I am done

September 17, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Graham

The coolest part of ATWT, especially in the late 1970s and early 1980s, was the wonderful opening and closing graphics and music. That, even more than the characters and the storylines, defined that show for me. In fact, I can still hear the CBS staff announcer saying, "Stay tuned for Guiding Light, next on most of these CBS stations!"

September 17, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  46. themjg

This was a depressing day for me. I wll really miss the show.

September 17, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Jan

I literally grew up with As The World Turns, fond memories of watching it with my mom in the 60's and 70's! And found myself watching it as an adult. Bob, Lisa, Lily, Holden, going to miss you all!

September 17, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Bill

I am not a watcher of soap operas. I saw the article about the soaps last show. I noticed the picture of the cast. I saw no minority cast members. Just curious since the shows T.V. location is in Ill. There are minority people in Ill. It just goes to prove what I already knew, the majority of T.V.'s cast are white.

September 17, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Jody

Touching ending. I cried.

September 17, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  50. tigre530

I was saddened to hear that ATWT was cancelled. I figured it was just a a matter of time – especially after Guiding Light was cancelled – but its still a bit of a shock. As mentioned by others, this soap has long been a part of my life – since my grandmother and mom were regular viewers who would watch together on a daily basis. As for me, I was never a regular watcher – but ATWT is part of my very first childhood memory. As a three year old – I remember laying under the coffee table in our small living room – and seeing the spinning world one minute....and then a little later – hearing my mother and grandmother burst into tears and crying and crying. My first childhood memory was made – the day that Kennedy was assasinated – and Walter Cronkite broke the news during their story. Of course, I didn't realize exactly what happened – until I was older...but that moment is burned so deep in my memory – that just thinking about it takes me back there as if it happened yesterday. Not the best first childhood memory - but a moment in history nonetheless. And ATWT was a part of it.....with its spinning world in black and white. Rest in Peach ATWT....you were a part of many lives and loved by many people... Thank you to the cast and crew who took part in this venerable soap in its more than 50 year run.

September 17, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Michelle

I am sooooo sad about this. Used to watch As the World Turns with my Mom and younger sister. So many memories! The Lily and Holden romance (and who could forget Brian Bloom) budded when I was a young teen. I have loved Holden ever since! And miss Martha Byrne. Only continued to watch because of Holden. I hope he goes onto prime time TV, would love to see him in a drama. So sad on Nancy's passing. Why isn't Emma in the photo?

September 17, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Toni

I started watching ATWT when I was in 6th grade ... would watch during summer and holiday vacations ... and for the last 10 years saw it every day. When I was working I had a radio that got 2 tv channels so I could keep up with ATWT. That's over 50 years of watching my favorite show ..... and today I feel like I have lost some good friends. Be assured CBS that people will not watch yet another Talk Show ... especially one with Leah Rimini and that bimbo from the Rosanne show. Good grief ... what a group. Talk shows are a dime a dozen and it won't last more than a few months.
    CBS is done as a major tv network .... and after taking ATWT off they might as well just give it up althgether. Good bye ATWT .... thanks for the memories.

September 17, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Faye

I started watching this show since I got married 50 years ago. I am so upset to see it go off the air. These people have become like friends. I remember when Bob & John first became doctors. I remember when Tom was born and a lot of things since. I will miss it terribly.

September 17, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  54. PeePee Poupe'

What happens now to the peoples in the show? They just done stopped getting filmed?! I am so sad and mad I wants to go to the A&P and fart where they sells your fancy cheeses.

September 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Lisa

It's sad to see this Soap ending, It shows how times are changing. I quit watching at least 10 years ago. But on any given day I knew I could turn it on and it was like I never missed an episode. My Grandmother, Mother & Aunts all watched ATWT. I was named after "Lisa". My Mother just loved her :)

September 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Miss Ellie

I grew up watching this show – my grandmother never missed if she could help it. She was sure that TV was RUINED when Helen became "with child" out of wedlock. My grandmother fortold that "next they will show people in bed doing who knows what – somethings should be left unsaid". Well she called it on that one! Goodby to many memories & many lessons learned.

September 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  57. c1129

I looked forward to watching ATWT everyday after putting my kids to bed. VCR's were and DVR's are a wonderful thing. It was just a little time away from reality. No matter what other people have to say about soaps, ATWT and GL kept me coming back for more every day. Its funny because my grandparents didn't allow us to watch soaps when we were kids, but I found a way to watch everyday after school. I have been watching since I was 7 and now I am 35. Sure am gonna miss it.

September 17, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Kylerr

Thank God! this show sucked!

September 17, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Paula

Didn't Meg Ryan get her start on this show? I haven't watched this in years but I'd take it over almost all TV nowadays. Especially the real tv shows...pure crap. That's why I no longer have TV in my house! love it:)

September 17, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  60. stu

Barbra & lisa were my favs!

September 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  61. david

wow,56 years on tv.long run.all things must come,to an end.except,death,taxes and lieing politions.

September 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. brenda nogle

i,ve been watching this show seen i was a kid. it sadden me that they took it off. when they kid off reid it took me aa week to get over that now it feel like i lost a friends. and a part of a bond me and my mother had together and she been gone fo 11 years.

September 17, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Judith

Regarding the radio or not on radio question. . . I was in first grade when my babysitter made me watch Love of Life, Secret Storm, Guiding Light, and something else, all 15 minute shows (this was 1951). When As the World Turns came on TV-only, I began watching during the summers (before VCRs,) and purchased one of the first VCRs to record my shows–Love of Life was still on! I enjoyed watching ATWT particularly because the characters were the originals, especially Helen Wagner and Eileen Fulton. I too enjoyed the Betsy role of Meg Ryan as Betsy. Well, it had both good and bad moments, but am really sorry to see it go and thank the cast for providing many years of Oakdale drama.

September 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  64. C.H.

I am happy that CBS took ATWT off the air, it was time. I won't miss it at all and I'd rather be reminded of how good the show used to be before the horror it became. I am only sorry that the actors and crew ended up losing their jobs because of it but maybe if the show was better managed and better written that would not be the case. Now CBS should really start looking at their 2 remaining soaps which are getting just as bad with the current writing regimes who can't write a damn and can't come up with anything new and imaginative instead of the same regurgigated mess year after year. I have never heard of such a good company such as CBS who expects to get a good product tolerating such crappy product for so long. It's time for CBS to bite the bullet and produce their own shows and could you make it so it can be broadcasted on TV and the Internet at the same time. I hope CBS's new talk show The Talk is a success. It's time for CBS to shake up things on Daytime and come up with new products.

September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Charlie

ATWT was never on the radio. ATWT and The Edge of Night (which both premiered on CBS TV April 2 1956) were the first 30 minute soap operas.

September 17, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sheri

Way to go CBS! The one thing that gave me a sense that my Mom was still here with me was "As The World Turns". I am 44 years old and I have been watching it since I was young. I grew up with Kim and Bob and the Stewart and Hughes and Snyder family. My Mom and I watched it faithfully until the day she died. Over the years I have recorded it and DVR'd it so that I didn't miss out on a moment of what to me was one of the greatest stress relievers of all time! It didn't matter if it was ever far fetched or that someone slept with someone or this person kissed this person. It gave me a fantasy world to escape to and share with my Mom. In my years of college I could call her up and say "Hey Mom did you see what Lucinda did today?" and we would laugh and sometimes cry. The story lines of Luke and Noah brought freshness to the issues my Gay friends faced and they dealt with health issues that have faced us all. Every Thanksgiving Bob gave us reason for hope and prayer. You took away Guiding Light and then you took away our "World" CBS ..you suck. I will not watch you anymore.

September 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  67. dianne

I will personally missed it.

September 17, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Sara N.

Wow, so many of us associate soaps with early memories of our Moms and Grandmas. It's so sweet and goes for me too. I started with my Mom's favorite, Days of Our Lives, but it was ATWT that got me through college. TOM AND MARGO!!

September 17, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Me

I wasn't a big fan of this show...liked Guiding Light more. A shame to see it go, however. I hate reality shows and watch very little tv these days because of so much junk...no acting, just trashy people doing anything to try to win. I agree with the person who said the Bold and the Beautiful is the worst. That show is the worst soap ever and I have hated it from day one.

September 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Nancy M.Farraday

I can still remember one special day of watching ATWT back on June 3rd,1964.I was in the hospital and had just given
    birth to my daughter,the nurse came in the room and asked me what name I was going to give her,I was watching
    ATWT at the time and Lisa and Bob were in the Hughes family kitchen.And I told the nurse I was going to name her
    Lisa,after one of my favorite star's in the show.She played a part on that show that nobody can forget.

September 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Marsha

I recorded this on DVR, can't wait to view it after hubbie goes to bed after his fill of Law and Order, just shootme!

September 17, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Bob

I CAN'T BELTEVE THIS IS THE END!!! ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN APART OF MY LIFE FOR 30+ YEARS!

You need to get a life!!!

September 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Kathy

I have watched the show for years and I am so sad and have even cried over this. This show was my one hour a day away from the real world.To all the cast I wish well and thanks for making me laugh, cry, happy, sad, mad, and most of all changing my life to be a better person. You will be missed.

September 17, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Rita

Wow, not one person of color in that photo. When I watched they had Tamara Tunie (L&O SVU forensic specialist) on that show, although; she was married to a white Scottish man. I don't know if anyone knows but Lauren Hill was on that show. She was a runaway and was taken in by the Scottsman. I can't remember his name (McKagny or something like that). Anyway, I enjoyed the show when I used to watch it back in the day. My favorite characters was Lucinda, John and Kim. Boy, if you crossed Kim, she would put you in your place. Oh welll – Farewell, ATWT!!!

September 17, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  75. marsha

I watched this show since the fifities with my late grandmother. I am 61 now and am so sad that it ends today. I have not followed it in years as I do have a job and a life but I remember the Hughes family fondly. I hate that Helen Wagoner died before the last episode. Shw was so classy, so was Kim and the others. I do not like that they gave Bob Hughes Alzheimers, too much reality!!

September 17, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Autumn

As a former working journalist for newspapers, I was lucky enough to have interviewed the actor who played Dr. Bob Hughes, who said "Goodnight" today so sadly, and also the actress who portrayed Lisa Hughes. They both were easy to talk to and I enjoyed doing the interviews for readers and for myself - since I have watched the show since it started.
    The program will be missed. Hope you consider doing a reunion in six months, with everyone. That would be fun.

September 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Beverly

I resent your refusal to keep my comments. This is a valid email address, and I have had it for it long time

September 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Tammy Grey

I cannot believe the only show I watch on TV is done...I look so forward to it everyday.. Now what am I going to do..? Yeah I admit when The Guiding Light was done it was no big deal.. But I have 2 teenage children that watch As The World Turns with me everyday... Why dont they take off Gay Young and Restless or even gayer Bold and Beautiful.? Why do they have to take off the best one.. I grew up watching As The World Turns.. CBS sucks for doing away with the best show EVER... I know it sounds funny,but I actually felt a personal connection with most of the cast..How can you just take this show away from so many people that loved it..?? CBS just keeps getting worse and worse...most of their shows aren't even worth watching,,and now they take away their best one..No more CBS for me...and alot of people I know also feel the same way..

September 17, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fran

Tammy, I know what you are feeling. I don't watch the soaps anymore but when I did, I too felt like I personally knew the characters. My favorite soaps were Y&R and ATWT. Although I watched others like Guidling Light and Another World, my all time favorite was The Edge of Night. I still remember all the characters on that show.

September 17, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ric

You refer to TV shows as Gay and Gayer? Are you 8 years old?

September 17, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  79. TV Watcher

BIG MISTAKE CBS. Out of touch. Who the hell needs another show with a group of "abnormal" things that call themselves women belching out ridiculous understanding of lfe. Too bad.

September 17, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Cassie

Although I am heart-broken today, I am so glad that I have read this site. You all have helped me know I am not the only one feeling so heartbroken about ATWT. I am 64 years old and. ATWT has been part of my life for 54 years. I remember the show's musical theme playing as we kids went back to the afternoon school. My sister, Mom, and I together would watch it as well as The Guiding Light during the summer months. Then we would turn it off to either do housework or go to town shopping. Even my Dad got hooked on ATWT when he was recovering from surgery.Afterwards he would come home for lunch. Interestingly his lunch time changed and became timed at the ATWT time period. LOL The family's chuckle was that if "ole Virge" could get stuck on a soap opera than anyone could. The characters and their actors were like family. No matter was happening in your life, you still had the shows characters to give you comfort, humor, and continuity. Today for me it's like there has been a death in the family and it has been so comforting to know I'm not the only one who feels like this. BTW I think that Julie Chen is the CBS President's wife. No matter what CBS puts on, it will never rise to the level of ATWT.

September 17, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Aubrie

BIG MISTAKE CBS!!! YOU'RE OUT OF TOUCH WITH YOUR VIEWERS. THINK AGAIN..... I won't be watching CBS anymore. Nothing decent left to watch.....

September 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Nancy Danahy

I watched as the world turns when I was a latch key kid. It kept me company in the summer. I watched as my babies were born and I was a mother of babies confined somewhat to the house. I watched when I could when I worked. I watched with my son as he lay dying, it kept our minds off the REAL WORLD. Most of my life I have watched AS THE WORLD TURNS.
    It was entertainment to many of us, a place to hide for many of us,a family to the lonely, Something to look forward for all of us who watched. After all this time,so sad. the end

September 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Jan Stoebe

Have watched since '62. Feel as if my whole home town has been destroyed!

September 17, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bruce

I hope its final episode was better than what we got for "Lost."

September 17, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  85. mrspansas

I too have been a fan of "As the World Turns" for over 30 years. I remember in the 1960's my mother watching this program in black and white. It saddens me that this soap has come to an end. For many years I have scheduled my lunch hour around this program, if not, I would record it. As it came to an end I wished the program focused more on the original characters and not bring in new ones.
    This article forgot to mention Meg Ryan's "Betsy" character.... Not sure if there's another soap worth watching. Any suggestions?

September 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  86. stu

these SLOW moving soaps are OUT DATED. if the story lines kept up w/ head line news, life styles....they wouldn't get axed. PS: the final scene of the twirling globe was l.a.m.e!

September 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  87. kay

I will miss ATWT, it has always been there when I could watch it, year after year. I knew the characters, and they were like friends and family to me, in a busy unpredictable "real world". I went from being a teen, young woman, to a wife and mother. Now in middle age, I have plenty of real life problems, but I could always count on spending time watching ATWT to help remind me that some things remain the same. Carly and Jack always belonged together... Dr Hughes could always be counted on... etc... well, you know if you have watched it for years.
    As a new mom at home, I loved having the show to watch. Now as a new empty-nester, I will really miss it. Of course we are all fully aware that it's a soap with fictional characters. But we care about those "friends" of ours. We invite them into our home, and we spend hours with them... moments that are precious, because the older you become, you realize that each minute of your life is precious. Thanks to all the actors and actresses for bringing those characters to life. You are loved, not for your fictional selves, but for your work and dedication. Thank you ATWT for the memories.
    It's a shame that "reality" TV and game shows are taking over the networks. At least soaps were about human relationships. I wish another network would realize how popular this show is, and continue it.

September 17, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Rae

I too have been watching since the 70's. Taping when necessary. For those who don't understand the appeal, it's rather like a very long book. One chapter at a time. You knew Friday was the end of the chapter. Dying to find out what happens Monday! I haven't yet watched today's final episode. Waiting until I'm alone, Kleenex box handy...

September 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Bee

My mom watched ATWT when I was growing up. I work as a private duty nurse and work in a room I do not leave during my shifts. So..I watched this show growing up with my mom and I watched this show every day for the last 14 years! I cried and cried today watching the end. I will so miss the characters and it also must be so hard for them to say goodbye to them as well. I have a friend who after she reads a good book says she misses her characters of the book and sometimes cries when she is done reading....I feel this is no diff! - I am so sad and mad that this show was canceled. First GL and now this! - I will miss all the actors as well. Thanks for entertaining us for all those years!

September 17, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Nikki

I've watched this show for 38 years, since I was born! First with my grandmother, then in high school and college, and now I tivo it to watch when I come home from work. The characters were always richly drawn, the storylines sad, heartwarming, horrorific or funny (or all at once), always entertaining, groundbreaking at times, and well acted (hey, you forgot Meg Ryan got her start here! She was Betsy!!). Thank you for so many wonderful years and memories of my grandmother, AS THE WORLD TURNS, and shame on you CBS. Like we need another talk show or game show. I won't be watching whatever new program you chose to replace this show. I guess this one viewer doesn't matter.

September 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Gina

I have watch ATWT all my life...I loved the original cast and was glad to see some old-timers return in the final months. This show is like an old friend who died and will be missed and remembered with fondness.

September 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Linda from Iowa

I've watched ATWT from the early days. I graduated from high school in 1958, I started watching soaps in the early 60's.. During my career years, I wasn't able to see it, then later taped it from time to time. I've enjoyed watching the different actors and actresses move on to movies and TV. I know that to many people, Oakdale and the show are like family and close friends. Thank you to all who have worked and starred on this TV drama. Today is truly the end of an era.

September 17, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  93. fred

good riddens

September 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toni

Learn to spell ..... Mr. Grumpy Drawers .... you probably never watched it a day in your life.

September 17, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Jackie

My mom tells me I watched this show with her from my playpen...and I have watched episodes on & off ever since. These characters will be missed by many – for some they are like extended family. It is an end of an era.

September 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  95. NW

Many shows are "soaps". Mad Men, Grey's Anatomy, Glee (with music). I love them!! They are so campy.

September 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Denim

I wonder if they'll have a fat lady sing as the credits roll.

September 17, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Dan22

I don't know why they keep using "Ill" as an abbreviation for Illinois. It's "IL"not "Ill".

September 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nop

It wasn't always IL. It was Ill. for a long time before the two letter system was adopted. Most states had three letter abrevs until the two letter system came about in the late 60s. (or was it early 60s when the zip codes were added?)
      Any way to some of us (older) Ind., Ill., Nev., Cal., Tenn., Ala., Ark., (and so on) makes perfect sense as that is how we learned it in school..

September 17, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • chicagodan

Dan, according to the AP Style Book, the Illinois abbreviation IS Ill. The use of IL is exclusively for postal addressing.

September 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Drpolisci

I am almost 59 years old. I have watched soaps since I was in the second or third grade. I will miss ATWT. Sad to say but it probably was time to go. The soaps are not what they used to be. The storylines are stupid.

September 17, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  99. JD

Hang on! I thought the world wasn't supposed to end until 12/23/2010. What the heck!?

September 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Talk

I think we have enough TALK shows..........

September 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  101. LA WordGirl

I've watched this show for 50 years. It is/was one of my mother's favorite soaps, and I watched along with her since infancy. My mother is 80 yrs old now, still enchanted and deeply involved with the good people of Oakdale. Today, she is heartbroken. I am too, in a weird sort of way. For long-time viewers, the ending of the show is not just a cliched "an end of an era" sort of thing, but the end of an iconic staple of our cultural fiber. I will miss the show very much and the wonderful and sometimes ridiculous storylines and characters that have graced my world for so many years.

September 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  102. ridiculous

it's a SAD day? honestly??? it's a freaking tv show people.

September 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Noreen

To Ridiculous – sometimes even a TV show can mean something to people. In the majority of these posts, I've only read how many memories were made for people who watched this soap with their moms and grandmothers. Don't be so dismissive or judgemental – 54 years is a pretty good run for a "freaking" tv show and doesn't merit being scoffed at.

September 17, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • notimpressed

To ridiculous..for some of us this show represnented an escape from real ife...an escape from the abuse we were dealing with at home...an escape from the husbands who dismissed us...an escape from the children who didn't appreciate us...an escape from the current life we were trying to make better...Don't dismiss our expression of love for this show. I've read about individuals who are dealing with physical challenges who are bound to their homes on a daily basis and have watched for as long as I have for over 30 years.
      Thats a long time to follow a show. It made us feel like the families on the show were a part of our own. Don't rain on our parade.

September 17, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  103. saftgek

Wow! "As the World Turns," "Search for Tomorrow," "The Guiding Light," and "The Secret Storm" – in my childhood, these were the programs to which my mother referred to as "my stories." Everything stopped in our house when "her stories" came on.

Reading this article gave cause to pause in my day, and think about my mother and that part of my childhood. Another icon of television is relegated to history.

September 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Jayna

For 24 years, since I was 12 years old, I've watched ATWT. ATWTs was my constant. It saw me through many changes in my life ... I always knew that I could turn on CBS at 1PM Central and no matter what was happening in my life I would see a familiar face and have a chance escape for an hour each day. Thank you, ATWTs.

September 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  105. idiotnewsoftheday

I cried like a baby today knowing that this was then end of ATWT. My mother is 88 and has watched ATWT for years – taking her lunch hour while working just to come home to see it. I remember watching with my grandmother in grade school and high school when I was home ill.

I will sorely miss ATWT and all the wonderful characters who actually felt like part of my family. I am hoping CBS will bring this back – what we DO NOT NEED is another talk show, game show or reality show. C'mon – give us great acting, good storylines and lovable characters and we'll be with CBS forever!

To all the actors on ATWT – you'll be missed and I pray that only great things are in all of your futures!

September 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jen

Best wishes to the cast and crew as they move to new projects. I was never a huge fan, but it is sad to see a show with such a long, wonderful history thrown under the bus in favor of another stupid talk show.

September 17, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Ingrid Holm

When my parents and I came to the US from Germany in 1954, we turned to televison to learn English. My mother discovered ATWT She's watched it since 1960 until now, at the age of 88. I've watched it whenever I could since grade school unil now at the age of 61. Not having an extensive family in this country, I saw the characters in ASWT as being part of my l ife, giving me comfort and a sense of continuity. I will miss the show very much – I will no longer have any reason to reserve time in my afternoon to watch television. I feel abandoned by CBS, which seems only to want to maximize its profits with silly game shows and glib talk shows. The authenticity of ATWT was real and its impact meaningful, thanks to the great writers and actors. Why can't the show be picked up in another venue? Like the now popular series Madmen, the show presented elsewhere would certainly be popular for a new generation. Is anyone listening?

September 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Donna

Like so many people I started watching soaps because our mother's watched them. I've probably watched all of the soaps at one time or another (especially the P&G soaps). But ATWT was one of my favorites especially when Doug Marland wrote for the show. I just watched the final episode. It was well done and better than I expected. I stopped watching GL before it went off the air. I tried to watch it a couple of times but that hand camera thingy or whatever it was they were using to tape the show got on my nerves so I can't compare the two. However, I must say that ATWT's ending was a helluva lot better that AW ! Soaps are a dying breed and those of us who are fans and can remember how they were back in the day know the reasons why. The biggest problem is the inconsistent writing and when a new writing team comes on board and totally rewrites history (Does Erica Cane's "unabortion" ring a bell ?). I've totally gotten off track but you get the gist of what I'm saying. Goodbye ATWT. It was nice knowing you.

September 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  109. MARIB

I guess I can put a positive spin on ATWT and Guiding Light being killed... Now I will get a lot more house work done because I WILL NOT being watching CBS in the afternoon any longer. and, and, AND IF – if the idiot corporate powers that be; sitting there fat and bored in their ivory offices even think about killing my show Y & R then I AM DONE!!! They can take their "new brainless programming" and keep it. They are constantly jerking around with the night time programming so that you can't keep track of what's even on. It seems like you just start getting involved in the story and with the characters and POOF it's gone. Daytime WAS the one time you could count on not changing every other month. Who can blame Oprah for leaving network TV and going to cable?

September 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Martha

WOW is all I can say :(!! I am in shock that not one (Guiding Light) but 2 of my favorite soaps have bit the dust. As the world turns will be missed by me more than I can say. I have watched the show since I was a young girl. I will miss watching my favorites Jack and Carly and Bob and Kim and Katie and Margo and Tom, Holden....I must say today was a sad day for me. Good luck to all in what ever endeavors you encounter. You will be missed!!! :(

September 17, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Cat

I will miss the show so much. I still hope someday someone will pick up the show again. I love the entire cast. I've been watching since I was child, over 30 years ago! I think I'm done with CBS... they don't care about their loyal viewers who have tuned in for decades!! I'll miss you ATWT!!!!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Gina

The cast of the As the world turns.....you did an awesome job for making a wonderful soap opera, I watched it all since I was 14 years old, I remember watching it when Marisa Tomei and Meg Ryan were in it.....until now I am 40 years old.....It is sad that you are not doing it anymore. :( Thank you for all of the memories.

September 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  113. DEBGAL

i think its so sad i grew up watching this show been watching it all my life now its been banished it hurts like heck that all good things must come to a end

September 17, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Stephanie

Thank you ATWT for all the memories. Will miss the great actors and actresses.

September 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Carla

I grew up watching this show with my mom, and it is a sad moment to know that it is over. Was kind of hoping my daughters and I would have the same memory and carry on the tradition. :(

September 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Tee

Only start watching this 4 months ago and then found out it was finishing after getting hooked on a storyline. I'd never seen it before as I'm ony new in the US from Europe. I'm upset after only watching it for such a short period of time. Can't imagine how some of the longterm viewers feel today.

September 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  117. debbie

I too am sad that "As the World Turns" is over. I have been a loyal watcher for years and I cant believe they cancelled it and "The Guiding Light". I heard it will be replaced by a ANOTHER talk show, this one with Julie Chen! I will definetly NOT watch it, there are too many talk shows on already. It feels like an old friend has gone away and I hate it. I wish there was a way to bring it back

September 17, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  118. R.W. Holmes

I was sad to see the last show today... to my surprise. But, I agree with some of the other comments : why in the world take this soap off and leave The Bold & Beautiful on, it's the worst show I have ever watched. That Brooke has slepted with every man on the show and it's getting old. Bring back As the World Turns and get rid of the Bold and Stupid!

September 17, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  119. avehia

I'm so upset they took off guiding light and now as the world turns this is bull crap ! In replace of them they r putting a stupid game show on and a talk show man we have enough of those on already !

September 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  120. JENNIFER RAMIREZ

AM M.A.H. TOO NOT AS THE WORLD TURNS ..THATS THE LAST THING ME AND MY GRAND HAD IN COMMON...U TOOK IT AWAY ...IT FEELS LIKE I LOST MY FAMILY AND A BIG ONE TOOO I WILL MISS ALL U GUYS..THANK YOU CBS FOR MY HEART BREAK..

September 17, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Veronica Jamerson

The face of daytime television is certainly changing. Thank you CBS for such a wonderful ending to ATWT. I hate to see this daytime soap opera leave. It has been a part of my life as well as so many others for a long time. My best to all the cast of ATWT. It saddens me to see this show end but "As The World Turns" I've enjoyed watching the show. Good luck.

September 17, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Pam

A sad day for all of those who shared memories of watching ATWT with our mothers or grandmothers. For me it is like another piece of my time with my mother is gone....first Guidling Light now As The World Turns.....she would be sad to know that they are both gone now. My father used to "tape" them for her when she wasn't home. It was nice to see some of the old characters come back over the past few months....54 years...that is impressive.....

September 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Jill

I haven't watch ATWT in probably 35 years. My Mom, Grandma, and Aunt would never miss an episode. I watched todays episode as a tribute to them. I was fun seeing Bob, Lisa, Susan, Kim, and John after all these years. It's a shame that ATWT had to go the wayside like Search for Tomorrow, The Doctors, Ryan's Hope etc.
    It was nice remembering Nancy and Chris and all the family.....they would have been proud at how the show ended.

September 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Linda

As The World Turns has been on around as long as I have. It was a great drama, and will be sorely missed. What exactly was the reason they killed it?? TV is getting so bad...none of the new shows are very entertaining.

September 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  125. LadyV

My mother, age 73, Grandmother, age 94 and I have watched this program for a very long time. My Grandmother watched it from the very beginning and we will not only miss the show, but seeing their faces almost every day during the week is like being with family. It is very sad in a way, but we all have to move on in life to go where God would have us be to reach the next level of his place for us. I pray that each one of the cast and their families to be blessed beyond measure and for Jesus to be the Lord over their life!! Thank you for all of your hard word and dedication!! Peace2you

September 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  126. C CUKRAS

THE SHOW HAS JUST ENDED AND I FEEL A SADNESS FOR SO MANY REASONS , I STARTED THIS SHOW WITH MY MOTHER AND SHE PASSED AWAY IN 95 BUT I STILL WATCHED AND IT FEELS LIKE A LIFE TIME HAS ENDED. BUT I LIKED THEY SAID IT'S NOT GOODBYE JUST GOODNIGHT. I WILL MISS YOU ALL AND SEND GOOD WISHES AND THANK YOU FOR SO MANY WONDERFUL YEARS OF YOUR LIVES. GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

September 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  127. sa

DITTO Tired already of the TALK SHOWS, NEWS SHOWS, REALITY SHOWS, QVC, HSN and the rest of the garbage they call TV .............BOOO to CBS

September 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  128. JANET WELCH

I KNOW ALL THINGS COME TO AN END,I WILL MISS ALL OF THEM RITE NOW I'M HEART BROKEN...ALL U GUYS IN AS THE WORLD TURNS WERE LIKE FAMILY TO ME..IVE BENN WATCHING SINCE 3RD GRADE...OMG IM GOING TO MISS U..I LOVE U GUYS SOOO MUCH BOB,KIM,MARGO,TOM,BARB,JANET ALL OF U ..AND CARY LOVE U GIRLS......HAVE A GOOD ONE MISS U ALREADY :(

September 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana Pauley

I am so upset they to As The World Turns off ... I cried when Bob said " Good Night " I have watched that show all my life ... The folks in Oakdale are like family ... I will stop watching CBS they only want to show blood & guts shows ... They don't listen to their viewers ... Shame on CBS !!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kyra

What a GREAT ending to an unforgettable show!!! SOOOOOOO many of us will miss "As The World Turns" & I wish all the cast Best of Luck in their future endeavors! It was a GREAT show with a GREAT cast of people & to each & everyone of them – WE WILL DEEPLY MISS YOU!!! You have brought so many of your fans great joy in watching your show thru the years & your dedication to making it last as long as it did will live on in us forever! My grandmother got me started 32 years ago & it saddens me today that it has to come to an end! It was the one thing I would look forward to watching at grandma's house when I would go home from school sick! So again, Best of Luck to all of You at 'As The World Turns" – We will FOREVER miss you!

September 17, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Jane

I was so disappointed when CBS cancelled the Guiding Light, and I am equally disappointed that CBS has cancelled yet another soap. I grew up watching both soaps. Guilding Light was replaced with a talk show and f rom what I read ATWT is also going to be replaced with another talk show. Quite frankly I'm fed up with talk shows every station has their share. And they all also have their share of Reality crap. We live in Reality I don't watch reality TV have enough of my own. In addition CBS has cancelled some prime time TV shows as well such as Ghost Whisperer and Numbers. I'm thinking CBS needs some help somewhere since they can't seem to figure out the difference between good TV and just TV.

September 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  130. PATAROLL

Not happy at all to see the ending of ATWT – but this final show was extremely well put together – from the top of the show to the magnificent ending of the globe turning -- as it will. We will grieve and have our memories and it will get a little better AS THE WORLD TURNS........

September 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Madashell

I am so mad at Cbs, first GL now ATWT forget CBS I WONT WATCH STUPID TALK SHOWS OR GAME SHOWS

September 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dee-Dee

I am like you, I will no longer be watching CBS and all their stupid talk and game shows. They won't listen to the people, so I won't be listening to them.

September 20, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  132. C. Nordstrom

I am devastated. I have watched you all for 25 years and felt part of your lives as you had that gift of drawing people in.
    I do not know why this wonderful, loving, sometimes action packed series has ended, but it is wrong and I feel lost as you and the Guiding Light were part of my everyday. I can't stop crying as I feel I have lost love ones.
    God bless you all and keep you safe and full of love that you have given to so many that have encountered you.

September 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Erin

I was brokenhearted last year when GL went of the air, and losing ATWT is almost as bad! I'm thankful that I do not like ANY other shows that air on CBS. I am dissappointed that they are removing two of the longest running soaps on daytime tv to replace with some talk show, that is going to be exactly like The View!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • bj

I am very sadden by CBS cancelling of ATWT as well as the Guiding Light. Dnt think i will b watchN CBS even less than now

September 17, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  134. gwen

Oh what a sad day! I'm crying now as the show ends, it's been a part of my day since I can remember. Sopa operas give reality a little oomph. I will miss ATWT extremely!

September 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  135. sa

I watched As The World Turns as a little girl with my Mother and my Aunt. I watched the series as a young wife and mother. I even watched it in my 40's and 50's. Thank you for an always wonderful story line and stories of love, laughter, hate, and misery and suspense at times. Watching the first Generation Pass and watching the Hughes family transcend the story line has always been a mainstay in so many American homes. Thank you for the years each of you gave to us and for each of you be blessed in knowing you are very talented entertainers and our wish for all is for continued success in you individual endeavors.

September 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  136. Tammy

Iwell it is over. "Good night John Boy!" camera fades.

September 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Nicole

I started watching ATWT when I was pregnant in 2000 and on bedrest. It quickly became one of my favorite shows to watch. I was upset when GL went off the air now this! Since I have not been working since May, I have not missed one episode. I am truly going to miss the characters on ATWT. Good luck to all!

September 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Angelia

Well, GL, definately had a better ending than ATWT. Although some of the story lines ended the way I'd hope it still lacked closure. I was hoping they would have a ten years have past kinda thing like GL.

September 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  139. cecy

plus, why are the good show being replaced by distastful reality shows, and then we complain about the trash yet we kwt it happen

September 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  140. cecy

I really like this show but I could never keep it straight can anyone tell me if there are real couples out of the show

September 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  141. regina

this is the worst idea that you guys have ever came up with! this makes me not want to watch cnn anymore. dont even think about taking young and restless off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you need to just get new people to run the station because someone isnt doing something right! i will miss everyone one this show they are like family to me how dare you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

September 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Jcoldwater

It was a great show w/ a great run! I am sad to see it go! Ppl say negative things about soaps but do we REALLY need ANOTHER talk show???

September 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  143. CC

My earliest memories are of my mother ironing or sewing and watching ATWT on the B&W TV! She loved this show and it will be missed!!! Stupid reality and talk shows...no talent, no story, no imagination! Good luck to all from ATWT!

September 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Cathy

I watched this show since the 60s and would rather watch ATWT than most of the crap on TV today!

September 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Nancy Lynn

I was not happy when GL went off the air and now ATWT, it really is a sad day......I dislike the reality shows, i could care a less about them.....soaps are like part of the family, they have been there forever, I will still watch young and restless and then my tv will go off again until the news comes on. I refuse to watch the game shows or "The Talk" , they can keep their shows that they feel we should be watching, but i wont be a part of it.....

September 17, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Cheryl

I'm sorry to say that I am such a big ole SAP watching this last episode! I too started watching when I was a teenager with my grandmother and mom-they were fans from the very beginning and I'm now 45! I wish the cast and crew all the best of luck and will always watch for them in other things! I am actually sitting here crying my eyes out for the characters, actors and just because its the last time I willl ever watch this show! Good bye old firend!

September 17, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Shelby

Well, now we have shows like "THE JERSEY SHORE" with SNOOKIE getting better ratings. Don't we feel comforted by the intelligence of our youth!

September 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Janet

My mom and I will miss AsThe World Turns so much. We have watched it together for 54 years.

September 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

Janet – what a sweet message to post, and what a great memory to share with your mother. The thought of the message touches my heart. May you and your mother make many more excellent memories in life! Be Well!

September 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jayne

Janet, I'm your age; my mom died 8 years ago but during her life the only episodes she ever missed of ATWT were when she was hospitalized delivering her kids. I was watching ATWT when it was interrupted to announce the Kennedy shooting; I was home sick from 3rd grade that day. This is really the end of an era. (How many husbands did Lisa Hughes wind up having?)

September 17, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Jo

Have been watching it from the very first day, was my favorite soap. Hate that it is going off, but really loved the characters. Really going to be boring now.

September 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

Ever heard of a pro-noun? "Been shopping, went to store, loved new orange juice, hate people that dont use simple words to complete sentences like: I or me." It's just dumb and lazy.

September 20, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Anita Hanifan

I'm 53 years old. I started watching ATWT in junior high with my mother, and I've watched ever since then, whenever my work allowed. I am, right now, watching the final episode, and my heart is broken. I feel I have many family members moving far, far away, perhaps never to see them again! Good luck to all the cast and crew, and thank you for all the years you've given us!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Stephanie

This is another sad day for all CBS Soap Opera fans. It was bad when The Guiding Light went off. Now, As the World Turns, leaving the air also. It is like the death of an Era. Loosing people that you have watched and grow older with...it is like loosing a big family. I wish all of the actors and actresses and those who helped put it on each day the best!!! I will miss enjoying what is happening in Oakdale today!!! Thank you for sharing your life with all those like myself and my mother who have enjoyed watching each day...laughing and crying with you all. The show will be truly missed. Thanks for all these years together. Will miss what is happening in Oakdale!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  152. lisa

I really think I maybe done CBS. I was heart broken over guiding light, but now this.....

September 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • aubrie

I was furious when they took Guiding Light off the air, and am now speechless and stunned that they are now taking my last favorite show away. I too grew up with both these shows, but especially ATWT. I'm 51 years old and started watching when I was 5 with my grandmother and Mom. I kept up with it all through college, as a young mother raising children, and now I am able to record it when I can't watch. It's like losing a part of my self and my personal history. It's Americana. It nostalgia. This is truly a CRIME. I won't be watching CBS anymore. There's nothing left that is interesting to watch. BIG MISTAKE CBS!! You blew it!! I don't think you eve realize how badly.....

September 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Kermit Roosevelt

It's definitely sad, but the fact is that the soap opera is no longer necessary in the age of reality television.

What's sadder is that no matter how comically outrageous some of the situations may have seemed on the soaps, they pale in comparison to the antics of the reality "stars". Who needs fictional drama cases when there are so many real life dramas (or at least, drama queens) we can peep in on?

And, unlike their fictional forebears, they live on beyond the episode and seem to thrive on the attention they get in the outside world.

September 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMC

Kermit, I totally agree. We are bombarded with the likes of Jerry Springer, Jersey bimbos/wives, etc, but there's no room for fictional story lines anymore. I think the "writers" just got lazy and said "why create it, when more "interesting" stories are out there just waiting to be seen on TV" and hence "gutter soap operas" that are embarrassing to watch! Can you imagine what visitors from other countries think of Americans when they come to visit and see this trash on TV???

September 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Kaye

I am 56 years old. Watched this show with my Mother. This show has stayed in my life longer than anything else. I will not be watching stupid game or talk shows on CBS.

September 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Nancy Pieczynski

This is in deed a sad day. I have followed and watched 'As the World Turns' and 'Guiding Light' since I was a little girl. I listened to both when they were on the radio. It's like a part of you is gone. I admit I am shedding a few tears while watching this.

September 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  156. amj

if any soap should go off air it should be bold and the beautiful. everyone has slept with each others husband, boyfriend and they act like its ok.mother slept with daughters b-friend and didnt recoginize the difference-duh

September 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Tammy

I remember summer vacations sitting on the sofa watching this soap with my Mother. she was a homemaker. she didn't drive or have a day job. she just sat at home watching soaps and reading romance novels, even though she was happily married. She would talk about the charaters as if they were real. Now as I watch the last show,(on sick leave at work), it saddens my heart to think the soap opera generation is changing from fiction to reality tv. I will miss thia show it was one of my favorites.

September 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  158. Bonnie Secrist

What in heaven's name will I watch when I get home from work now. I have watched ATWT since I was 5 years old. As I grew up, had a family, went to work, I taped it to watch later. So today is the last day. It is like losing part of my family. Soaps are for intertainment and ATWT was exactly that and I will miss it terribly. We don't need another talk show. How sad that it is over.

September 17, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Heather

This is a sad day for all soap opera fans. My mother, who passed away two years ago, never missed a episode. I am glad she is gone now, she would be so sad to see the end of this amazing soap opera. I will miss my daily dose of all of you!!!! I wish all the actors and actresses all the best! Thank you for coming into my home every day, making me smile, laugh, cry, angry, happy............

September 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  160. Chris

I used to watch "Passions" for a little while, before it started getting lame. That's about it for soap operas. The only fun I had with this article was counting the number of people in the picture. 37! Wee!

September 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Truth

I am only surprised that soaps are still on the air at all...

September 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Karnette

I am personally very, very sad today. I am dreaded this day for weeks. I have been a fan of this soap opera for over 30 years. I too listened to it as a child with my Grandmother and Mother. I really like soap operas and actually attended a weekend fest in Las Vegas in 1998 for Soaps. I enjoyed the Guiding Light as well and miss that Soap Opera a lot too. I wish the cast, crew and their families nothing but the best in the future.

September 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • bj

I share ur sadness 2da. Just doesn't seem true. I also watched w/my grandmother & mother. Many Sr. Citizens who deserve 2have these soaps back on. Was there anything the fans cd do?

September 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  163. walkeww

The article is incorrect. As the World Turns was never on the radio, Guiding Light was on the radio from 1937-1956. From 1952-1956 Guiding Light aired both on radio and television. As the World Turns is 54 years old, not 58..and that is plastered all over the articles with reporters who actually check their resources.

September 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bj

George Stephanoplus announced on Good Morning American 2da that ATWT started out on Radio. Some1 said Meg Ryan wasn't mentioned as it launched her career, but was also mentioned on GMA.

September 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samuel

walkeww is correct, and Stephanopolous is wrong. ATWT was never aired on the radio. In fact, Irma Phillips developed the show specifically for TV. At 30 minutes per episode at its debut in 1956 it was the first soap to break the 15 minute limit that then existed for such shows.

September 17, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  164. sk

I remember my grandmother listeing to ATWT on the raido and then on to TV it was always on at lunch time so my daddy and uncle would come in for lunch and got into it becaue my grandmother was watching her stories. Daddy always kept up with Lisa but i even remeber going back to when Bob and Lisa were kids and Tom was a toddler. Hate to see another show leave the air like GL I do miss that one too. Good luck with the talk show it will be one I do not watch.

September 17, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • notimpressed

sk... some of us enjoyed your post. Never mind the negative people who didn't. Thanks for sharing!

September 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • saftgek

How incredibly pitiful for the likes of "portalpunk" to post such a horrible message! Perhaps, someday, he/she will actually get a heart!?!

SK – your post is not wasted on those of us who actually have warm, romantic feelings.

September 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  165. jd

At its best ATWT was an amazing middle class morality play. Douglas Marland did amazing things with this program. I have watched it my entire life and part of me will be sorry to see it go. The other part of me is relieved that a good friend will no longer be starved to death by an ever-shrinking production budget. As an earlier commenter noted, ATWT never appeared on the radio. It was created specifically for television.

September 17, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • bj

I hear on GOOD Morning America 2da that ATWT started out on RADIO. I hate cN it go. unnecessary to takeoff authentic program 4some boreN game talk r whatever kind of show to try & it will not REPLACE soaps. nvr!

September 17, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Danny B.

I only started watching about two years ago, but ATWT quickly became my favorite. So many great storylines in the past few months. And a great vindication when ATWT won three Daytime acting Emmy Awards recently. I hope we will see some of these actors & actresses in future tv work.

September 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Lori

Thank you to all involved with 'As the World Turns'. I started watching with my Grandma in the 70's and we would watch her 'stories' together. I am now 41 and still a viewer and will miss your show very much.

September 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I agree Lori. I am 42 years old and watched them with my Grandmother in the 70's as well. Sad to see the show ending today.

September 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMC

Lori,
      I use to watch ATWT with my grandmother too and she would say, "Come on over, my stories are coming on" and we would really get into the characters. I haven't watched a soap for years now b/c of work, but I still remember many of the characters. Thanks to all the great actors/actresses who made the show memorable over the years!!

September 17, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

I watched em with my grandma in the 90's. Her stories lol, great memories

September 18, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • PSmith

Is that you Lori Roberts?

September 19, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kathleen Todd

I totally agree. TV shows get worse and worse. If these are what "America wants "m then I mam really concerned about America. The World Turns has been not only and enjoyable show to watch over the years but also has done a great job of educating its watchera about Alzheimers, Aids and many other problems of our times. What a waste to replace it with this. That's the end of my watching Day time TV on CBS.

September 22, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martha Hewett

I am so sad this soap has come to an end. I am 51 years old. As a kid if we were ever sick and out of school we had to stay at my grandmothers. She only allowed herself to watch one story and it was atwt. I wonder when the word soap opera took over the stories. I had to let her sit and watch her one soap and fell in love with them. I can remember her fussing about Lisa and all of her men. They are crazy to take this off.

September 26, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

I also have been watching As The World Turns for a very long time with lots of family members and I will very much miss everyone I wish they would reconsider and put it back on now that everyone has had a nice break.

December 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  168. sherry wagner

this is bull crapt yah taking the show off the air my god i dont understand this its had the best episodes ect this year always has and yah taking it off and putting some stupid talk show on just like yah did guiding light, so upset over this .;

September 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • kim

I am ready to boycot CBS first guiding light for a stupid game show now ASWT for a stupid talk show. but they leave on the worst of the worst bold and the beautiful, i don't understand and have really had it with CBS.

September 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • bj

i agree. taking off a great soap 4a cheap modern crap. nothing replaces a soap.

September 17, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • laughing

someone needs to stop watching so much tv and start learning how to spell properly.

September 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • downunder

My God....I see the level of intelligence of people who watch soaps is about the same as those who watch reality TV.

September 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Posh-Kenneth

what the frack did you just say? o_0

September 20, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  169. Angela Love

Hate to see another great Soap leev the air. I would rather watch As The World Turns than The Talk any day. Great job by cast & crew. You will be missed!

September 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  170. Long time viewer

As the World Turns was never on radio

September 17, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Yes...ATWT was on for 4 years on the radio. My grandmother and great grandmother used to listen to them when they were on there and followed them to TV.

September 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • walkeww

That is correct. As the World Turns was NEVER on radio. Guiding Light's claim to fame is they were the only show to ever successfully transition from radio to television. Because of its success, Irna Phillips created a pilot and spin-off called As the World Turns to prove soap opera can be produced for television.

September 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peter Saint James

You might be right. "The Guiding Light" was on radio long before being on TV, but I can find no accurate historical record of "As the World Turns" being on radio. If anyone else can, please let us know.

September 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • chrisr266

Guiding Light began on radio in 1939. ATWT was a television original.

September 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • priceworks

September 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

"Yes it was on radio before it moved to tv. Educate yourself before you make a statement as fact."

Actually, you useless moron, it was not. Follow your own advice.

September 18, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
    • tgstock

"As the World Turns" was never on the radio. You are confusing it with "The Guiding Light." Irna Phillips created it in 1956 as the first serial on TV. "The Guiding Light" was on both radio and television. The very first episode of "ATWT" featured Helen Wagner, who is in the Guinness Book of Records for playing the same character for over 50 years (Nancy Hughes). She is famous for being the actress on screen when a bulletin broke into programming when President Kennedy was shot. Ironically, she died a few months after "ATWT" was cancelled.

September 20, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
    • PATRICIA BARNETT WHITING

Now that the Baby Boomer are finally retiring we were happy that we did not have to tvo,well that's what we thought, past tense. CBS, this was a place for ACTORS to hone their skills. Are you going to replace it with the x**x&o!!@{
      .you replaced Guiding Light? Grade B duplicate from the 60's & 70's ? Or maybe Les Moonves willl import something from China, we are Producing almost nothing created in the United States. Mr. Moonves does the current CBS exec/ know about acting, actors or quality TV. The actors on As The World Turns and Guiding Light have worked very hard. I am extremely disappointed in this Network. If they move it to another Network I will be there. Everyone make sure you voice your opinion of the NEW TALK SHOW. Well I guess everything is going to pot, this is just another thing.

September 24, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  171. Head Diva In Charge

I have not watched a soap since high school, but I always take note when they end. I know they have lots of fans, and people who can remember the show from when they were kids. Very cool that it lasted so long!

September 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  172. priceworks

terrible tv shows don't stay on the air for over 50 years. And it was on radio before going to tv.

September 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  173. joanne bergman

very sad the show is ending. i've enjoy it for many many years and recently i love it due to the fact i am disabled and at home all the time. (48 years old) i am sure there are older woman than i that enjoy it also. THANKS for thinking of us. i'm sure a stupid game show will take its place with a star as the host that makes plenty of money. BLESS YOU!!!

September 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Tammy

September 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  175. notimpressed

I am so cheesed this is going off the air!!!! It was such a good show! absolutely ridiculous. Next thing you know they'll be taking The Young and the restless off!!! PLEASE DON'T TOUCH THAT SHOW IT'S THE LAST GOOD ONE LEFT!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Tammy

To each their own. But what with the additude? You don't have to like everthing, but you don't have to rain on other peoples parades! When people are sharing good times, don't invite yourself to their picnic jerk! portapunk or portapot, doesn't matter! ATWT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  177. MISS

The only soap I ever watched was Days of Our Lives, but I haven't watched an episode for over ten years. What is funny is once in a while I see a preview for it and it looks like the same story line is still going from years ago!! The best was when Marlena was possessed by the devil. Classic!

September 17, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  178. notimpressed

LOL! Well said Tammy!

September 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Penny Wallace

I CAN'T BELTEVE THIS IS THE END!!! ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN APART OF MY LIFE FOR 30+ YEARS. HOW IN THE WORLD AM I GONNA GO WITH OUT SEEING AS THE WORLD TURNS, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO T.V. IT'S GONNA BE HARD IT'S LIKE YOU ARE ALL APART OF MY FAMILY, I AM GONNA MISS YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!! JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!

September 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  180. Loyal Fan

Sad to see it end, really enjoyed the show. I could escape from my world into the ones of Oakdale for an hour each day and not think of the troubles or hardships that I was facing. I will dearly miss not seeing this show and I wish the actors and actresses good will in their new endeavors. God Bless and Goodnight.

September 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  181. Chris Taylor

A "lovely" ending...CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for many memories and entertaining distractions. You can be sure that you will be missed.

September 17, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Carroll

I've watched this for years... totally upset that they are taking As the world turns off and putting on another boring darn game show... Not happy!

September 17, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Karen

I don't understand why they list all the stars that went on to bigger and better careers and don't mention Meg Ryan! She played Betsy YEARS ago and she did it well. But, no one mentions how the show started her career. Too bad it is done. I haven't watched it for a long time due to my job, but it has been on forever.

September 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  184. ikantraed

Oh this spells the end of cheesy romance.. What will we ever do?

September 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Tara

If it was so terrible, why did you watch it?

September 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Anti-Punk

That's a really long sentence for a moron.

September 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  187. Don

I never saw a single episode.

September 18, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  188. Teri VanBritsom

I bought the elevator controls and the CBS box for it that was actually IN this soap....the box is pine and is stamped CBS, looks like a coffin, and it is awesome...but my husband is terminally ill and I am selling it for a thousand dollars, I got it at an auction recently.

September 18, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  189. Ms Linda

I'm a very big fan of "As The World Turns" I've been watching it for 42 years! My mother-in-law started me watching it with her when I was 17 years old. I know all of the soap opera stars by their show names! This is very upsetting to me, especially now that I'm on disability I've had the chance to watch it every day since last July, 2009. I've had (3) surgeries since last July and every day at 1:00 I look so forward to "As The World Turns" and even if the President comes on during my soap I get mad! I love all of you and good luck to all of you!

Linda

September 18, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Skippy

I wunder wy no one liked u at skewl? Is it because you're just really really rude?

September 17, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  191. young68

Never mind about who dosen'tloke you at school,LEARN TO SPELL . I'm betting that a total moeon could do better.

September 17, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Vic

Am I the only one that noticed all your misspellings?

September 18, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |