Ellen ‘blazed the trail’ for Jane Lynch to come out
September 16th, 2010

Ellen ‘blazed the trail’ for Jane Lynch to come out

For Emmy-winning actress Jane Lynch, her sexuality hasn’t really been an issue when it comes to her career, and Lynch says she owes part of that ease to people like Ellen DeGeneres, as she explained to DeGeneres herself on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

“I was more closeted in my life when I was younger. By the time I started to do work where people knew who I was, I just never made the choice to hide that I was gay,” Lynch explained to DeGeneres. “And, not just because you’re sitting with me, but that’s because of people like you. You were at the height of your fame and you came out. And that just blazed a trail for me. It really did. It made it so much easier for me what you did.”

But, as DeGeneres pointed out, there are still many in the industry who believe they can’t be open about their sexuality because they fear it will ruin their careers.

Lynch understood what DeGeneres was saying, adding that she thinks her experience could be in part because of the type of roles that she takes.

“It’s because I’m a character actor I think. If Julia Roberts were gay I think it would be harder,” Lynch said. “She’s an ingénue. You want to project your hopes and dreams for love” on actors like Roberts and Brad Pitt.

So wait a minute, DeGeneres said, “you’re saying Julia Roberts is gay?”

“That’s what I’m saying. Right here on this show,” Lynch responded, going along with the joke. “She won’t admit it. I’m here to tell you she’s gay. You’re welcome Julia.”

Maybe one day Roberts will get to thank Lynch for her trailblazing ways, too.

To see what Lynch had to say to Larry King about love, life and "Glee," check out the video below.

Filed under: Celebrities • Ellen DeGeneres • Glee • television

1. Rastas

Low life bottom feeders. Dregs of humanity. They all need to be exterminated.

September 17, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Julia Roberts

I'm not gay! Not that there is anything wrong with it....

September 16, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Floria Sigmundi

She is so funny and talented I hope she is happy with who she is and I'm proud that she dissent have to hide herself we are all created equal and should not be treated differently because of who we are

Check out this video on YouTube:

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJ4bL6O3uw&w=640&h=360]

September 16, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Liberace

Come on, even Ray Charles could see that Ellen was ghey long before she came out. That was a publicity stunt to increase ratings for a show that blew goats. Lesbian goats, but goats nonetheless.

September 16, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steven Segal

In other news, Stevie Wonder admitted he is blind.

September 16, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Eric

I don't think Ellen had any impact on it at all. Unless, she's talking about industry/studio exec being more likely to cast an openly gay actress.
    Jane Lynch's scene stealing brilliant comedic timing and talent in "Best in Show", "40 year-old Virgin" and "Role Models" sealed the deal for me.
    I didn't even know she was gay until after I had seen those performances, and by then her talent was undeniable no matter what group she belonged to.

September 16, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

And let's not forget her as Charlie's shrink in Two and a Half Men. Brilliant!

September 16, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. your two mommies

I think she means people like Melissa Etheridge, the Indigo Girls, Kevin Spacey, and Jon Hamm.

September 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Yer daddy

Who are the closeted stars that Jane Lynch refers to in her interview?

September 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  9. your mother

you're all gay for wasting your lives by posting here, about this. and i'm gay too then. yay! i'm out!

September 16, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Eric

Um... DUH!? Seriously who didn't already know she was a lesbian. LOLz

September 16, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jim

She reminds me of a high school girls' gym teacher. Of course she's playing for the same team. I had a Biology teacher who looked like a man (even carried a wallet) and her last name was Hoff. Everyone called her Jack.

September 16, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. suzi stars n peace

And of course america is the land of the free too so lets live up to our name and stand up for freedom for everybody! Lets all be happy!!! It makes life a lot more fun!!!!!

September 16, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Billy Bognutz

Richard Gere has delicious abs.

September 16, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. suzi stars n peace

i like to think of america as the home of the brave where people are brave enough to be true to themselves and show their true colors. Even if you are still a bit fearful about coming out to everybody you should with a little effort be able to find at least a few people u can be real with. Being true to yourself and others is part of the road to world peace! So be open and be happy! One love 🙂

September 16, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. serenedreamer

I admire individuals who make the choice to make themselves known that may be different from the norm. Yet, I dream that one day, we all can embrace one another with disregard and without feeling compelled to make one different from another. We are all human and individually to each her/his own. It'd make the world a much better place.

September 16, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Dirk Diggler

That's Dirk DIGGLER – stupid iPhone.

September 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Dirk Digglet

I'd like to thank actor Ron Jeremy for blazing a trail for guys like me who just want to watch and participate in Jane's behind the scenes life.

September 16, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jennifer

I love ellen and jane seeing them live their lives out and proud makes me happy to live my life as an open lesbian its not easy coming out and i believe that if some body who see perhaps these two and others out it will be easier not saying coming out is easy but these two are definetly great role models for us lesbians gives us hope and encouragement

September 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Robert Warner

Bob Saget, good family fun? Hah! He's the filthiest stand up since Redd Foxx.

September 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Robert Warner

To all you killjoys who keep saying it was just a joke: you imagine it the way you want, and I'll imagine it my way.

September 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

I'm with you Robert. My new birthday fantasy: my wife bring Julia Roberts home for a 3 way. In one of her Erin Brockovich outfits.

September 16, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Buck

That's too bad, I'd throw one in her.

September 16, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. kevin bacon

i would like to thank actors like tom hanks and bob saget for blazing the trail for good family fun.

September 16, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Lorin

She even said it was a joke.... lol

September 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Me

Um, you obviously missed the joke...

September 16, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. Chris Ramos

What, Julia Roberts, is a lesbian wow. I would have never thought of the lady that played Pretty Women was a lesbian but she is extremely beautiful & I think whatever women is her partner is very lucky to have a women like her & I will always be a fan & watch all of her movies that she comes out in regardless of what type lifestyle she lives.

September 16, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |