Casey Affleck: 'I'm Still Here' wasn't real
September 16th, 2010

Casey Affleck: 'I'm Still Here' wasn't real

After all of the stewing over whether or not Casey Affleck's film of Joaquin Phoenix's unraveling, "I'm Still Here," is real or just an elaborate joke, Affleck has finally admitted that it is, in fact, a performance.

"It's a terrific performance, it's the performance of his career," Affleck told The New York Times, referring to Phoenix's oddball behavior, like that bizarre interview on "Late Show with David Letterman" in February, 2009. He was performing then, too, Affleck confirms.

But that performance was necessary to "create a space," Affleck explained, in order for people to "believe what's happening is real."

In actuality, the director told the Times, the mockumentary - we feel it's pretty safe to call it that now - consisted of "multiple takes, these are performances." His intent was to show audiences what the "disintegration of celebrity" looked like without them walking in with any "preconceived notions."

Affleck added that when Phoenix appears on "Letterman" on September 22, he won't be in character.

"I never intended to trick anybody,” Affleck said. "The idea of a quote, hoax, unquote, never entered my mind.”

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Spence

Time to cut this Phoenix loose and allow him to just slip into well-deserved oblivion. He cries for attention like some disturbed child. An embarrassment to his family undoubtedly.

September 20, 2010 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. mch

Who cares it was a crap performance that s going to wreck Phoenix's career.

September 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Chris

I think J.P and C.A are bored with their lives a bit.

September 19, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Beth

Joaquin is a brilliant actor. Anyone who caught his performance with Nicole Kidman in "To Die For" knows what I am talking about. It WAS oscar worthy in my opinion. Some of you who are "spouting off" have no idea what you are talking about. He is a talent that we will see for years to come!

September 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. JunebugJ

Fact, it's a cleft lip/pallet he had at birth. You idiot!!!

September 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Name

Joaquin Phoenix is the shiznit! Bow before his greatness!!

September 19, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. James Stewart

Hooray For Hollywood!

September 19, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. Snake Samuels

Meh

September 19, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. whatever

He's still a hack.. he'll never get out of River's shadow.

September 18, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. J-M0

This is just the prelude to the Michael Jackson hoax. BADD IS ON THE WAY!!!

September 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Maria

You are kidding me. It wasn't real? Well paint me stumped.

In other news, water is wet and the wheel is round.

September 18, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. InUpstate

Their both morons!

September 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Emily Ringstrom

Not too surprising, but very relieving... Especially due to his family's past, I hoped it was a hoax, or an act(call it what you want), but also because of the talent that Joaquin possesses, it would have been a sad tale to tell, had his career ended in such an ugly way.

September 18, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dlynn

What a waste these guys should have spent their time doing something with their lives...

I feel sad for them.

September 18, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Did these people not entertain more people than you? And you did something more for the world? Please, let us know your achievements!

September 19, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. tapu

I'm sorry but if you "perform" that way, for that long, then what's the difference from being nuts?

September 18, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  16. scrunchngo

Man...first the gal in Washington with the Acid "attack" and now this! Is EVERYTHING a Hoax?

September 18, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. Buster Bloodvessel

Get real: wasting two years pretending to be crazy is the act of a crazy person.

September 18, 2010 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  18. Ronnie

DUH!

September 17, 2010 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TruFaN

It is a clever, refreshing piece of art done for the sake of art. I'm so sick of cookie cutter romantic comedies and appreciate someone with the guts to do things differently. It was nice to see the "reality of celebrity", even if it wasn't really real.

September 17, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  20. pawpaw

Does anyone know why it took them a year and a half to film this dumb flick. It appears that the whole idea could have been filmed in 72 hours or less. I guess they REALLY are both a couple of real morons.

September 17, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
  21. margozargo

Whatever....when is "Signs 2" coming out, now "Signs" that was a great movie, and would have still been great with any other hack actor in this jerks place.

September 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. I AM THE WALRUS

What you believe becomes your reality.

September 17, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Maria Colonna

God this guy is just hurtin for a squirtin! ALL ABOARD! NEXT STOP THE VIPER ROOM! Hey River... I mean ... Joaquin is it? Thanks a lot. My father is just loving this free publicity. Dont forget to buy Season 1 of Taxi!

September 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tony Clifton

Shut up Kaufman! I didnt say you could talk! As for you River... I mean Kurt... damn, Joaquin Im gonna get you and your little dog too!

September 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Andy Kaufman

HERE I COME TO SAVE THE DAY! Sorry but this River guy... I mean Joaquin wants to be me more than me! Good luck with that buddy.

September 17, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

You're a chump. Simple as that for your simple a$$. Why can people not be influenced and use a style to make an impression. Art is there, you use the tools and manipulate to put your on finger prints on style, nothing more or less...he is not trying to be Kaufman, believe me.

September 19, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  26. Chris

I like both actors...they should stick to ACTING! I was kinda considering watching it on DVD but now I'm not going to at all...I can watch real people mess with their lives in real life-just look in FB.

September 17, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. ChrisFrenzy

I guess this kind of thing got its start with Borat. The only difference here is that Phoenix is a real person.

September 17, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Ga Peach

Joaquin is a great actor and this performance proved it! I love him and am sorry we did not get to see more of River who showed such promise!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Pilar

Uh...does anybody care?

September 17, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  30. AllTheYoungDudes

I find Joaquin Phoenix a repulsive no talent buffoon. Oh, and he's ugly too....

September 17, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. gr8fuldude

Actually the movie was real, it is Joaquin who is fake.

September 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  32. fastball

But honestly....nobody gives a flying fruitcake about Joachim Phoenix.

September 17, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jim

I will now be describing the two self-destructive years I spent after getting out of high school as 'creating a space'.

September 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Chris

Now that you guys have pointed it out, maybe he is covering for Joaquin Phoenix, who is going to appear on David Letterman soon. If he shows up with the beard shaved and a TOTALLY different personality, maybe I'll agree that it was all an act. That's the thing about stunts like this. Afterwards, people will never know if you're sincere or not. However, if all of these incidents were faked, I have to admit, Joaquin Phoenix must be an acting GENIUS because he sure had me fooled.

September 17, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. SCott

Disintegration of celebrity? Like we effin care....

September 17, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  36. jellylee20202

Seriously, does anyone care? Seems like a desperate cry for help of a doomed film career.

September 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. not amused

so it was PLANNED that someone would take a dump on his face???? nice.

September 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. LBW

Big waste of time and money. All the great books and stories to be told and this is the best Casey could come up with? Agreed, five dollar bin at Walmart.

September 17, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • jellylee20202

5 dollar bin at walmart? you are too kind! it belongs to the shelves of the $1 stores....

September 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. SmartBlondie

Given the stellar performances Joaquin has always given and his obvious brilliance and balance as a person, is everybody REALLY surprised at this announcement? Anyone ever heard of Tony Clifton? Kudos to Casey and Joaquin – you have proven once again the willingness of the American public to believe everything they see on the screen. Thank you for your artistry and a timely wakeup call....and I am guessing Dave was in on it – he and Tony were great pals....he plays a great straight man when it's called for...

September 17, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Luchiano

@smartblondie. LOL good old Tony Clifton. Tony Clifton aka Andy Kaufman (although sometimes Bob Zmuda and once Michael Kaufman). One of Andy's greatest personalities.

September 17, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  40. Teeph

Dude. That Joaquin Pheonix, man. He's method. Totally method. Even if he WAS totally nuts (which I highly doubt), I'd still love him after his performance in Gladiator. The dude's an artist man. Pure and simple.

My only question is, "how do you just 'turn it off,' when the movie's done?"

September 17, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  41. SaintPetersburg

Joaquin isn't one of those actors who takes himself too seriously, if you ever see footage of him on set he's always goofing off and cracking jokes, so it was pretty hard to believe this was legitimate with that information in mind. He's not a method actor...he doesn't go looney. I understand why he would want to take on this "role" though.

September 17, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  42. Teri

I had not seen "I'm Still Here" because I was afraid it MIGHT be for real and couldn't bear to see Joaquin in that state after viewing the Letterman stunt. Now that I know it was a performance, I will def see it. Bravo Joaquin for stepping outside the lame Hollywood box.

September 17, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  43. JJ

admitting it was a hoax is dumber than the hoax itself. he was just tricking people, there was nothing funny or entertaining about this whole thing

September 17, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  44. troll patrol

you guys are idiots if you thought this was real.

September 17, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  45. Cass

YES! I totally called this a loooong time ago. I remember commenting on a clip on youtube that this so called movie he made is exactly something my guy friends would do and would think is hilarious to fool everyone. I 100% knew that's what he was doing...and really....he just ruined his potential for a serious career for me. I won't ever be able to take him seriously again. Smooth move exlax.

September 17, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  46. Bodhi

Why would they make this announcement now? People would only see this movie to see what happened to Joaqin Phoenix and how he went nuts. Now nobody will see it since it was just an act.

September 17, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  47. Missy

Frankly, I am surprised so many people didn't figure it out. I never thought it was real – it's a totally Phoenix thing to do. I have to give him props for taking on such a longterm project with a 24/7 commitment.

September 17, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  48. K2

Can you say "I'm now backpedalling as fast as I can before this crap ruins what little career I have." If no hoax was intended, then how come he's been repeatedly say "this isn't a hoax, this is real". Moron. He and his no talent brother should get out of town.

September 17, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  49. Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

And the Oscar for best performance in comedy goes to Joaquin Phoenix.

– Unfortunately Joaquin couldn't be with us tonight to accept his award.

September 17, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  50. Steen

I totally agree.....I was HOPING it was a hoax...Way too talented to give up acting just like that. Interesting idea...yes it has been done, but this degree? I will definately see it.

September 17, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  51. Aaron

SUCKERS!!!!!!!

LMAFO – AH AH AHAH AHAHAHA HAH A HAHAH AH HAH

I told you all a year ago it was nothing but an act. I get ht last laugh.

September 17, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  52. Doug

This is news for what reason? Two no talents trying to ride on the coattails of their semi-talented siblings! I certainly hope that intelligent people don't waste their money on this crap! Leave it for the trailer trash!

September 17, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  53. bailoutsos

Casey Affleck: 'I'm Still Here' wasn't real -- Casey is an azzhole. Why didn't he just wait for Joaquin to reveal it on Letterman?

September 17, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jerry

Joaquin is one of the greatest actors alive. Period.

September 17, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  55. Bravo

I really enjoyed this whole episode from the beginning.
    Too many these days take themselves and their opinions much too serious.
    I just wish more recognizable public figures would reveal more often the silliness of the public appearance they are portraying.

Now wait for the wrath of all those who have been fooled.....further adding to the drama and entertainment value.

September 17, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  56. rckoptix

j. phoenix is a brilliant actor period. gladiator, walk the line, etc. i hope this story is true, that this is just an act. comic relief for a very intense actor. i love the comments that are angry about it, hollywood is about marketing and promotion first, craft second.

September 17, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  57. theinformant!

Ok thats a bit of info you would release on your deathbed not immediately after you release two years of work!

September 17, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  58. Ben

Its an inside joke that only Hollywood types cared about. I guess the debate over whether they have lost touch is over.

and, by the way, the most interesting part for Joquin's "greatest performance" is that no one cared or even heard of this until they deparately tried to make news.

Dummies.

September 17, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  59. EG

What an idiot

September 17, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  60. Beasterdamas

Right...These guys are losing their asses on this film and now it becomes a mockumentary? Shut the f... up!

September 17, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  61. GaGal

I enjoy Joaquin's acting but I never believed the Letterman interview...and yes, Andy Kaufman did this years ago.

September 17, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Child, Please!

Yup!

September 17, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

I have this Kaufman comparison. Does this mean now can put on a childish performance as a grown up besides Adam Sandler? Or no one can make mafia movies besides Scorsese? Or even no one can practice a gonzo style besides Hunter S.?

September 19, 2010 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Sorry I meant, hate the comparison....Legalize it!

September 19, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  62. jimewo

This is hilarious and I think it needed to be done. An amazing joke played on a society far too obsessed with celebrities who, believe or not, are just regular folks. Shocking, I know.

September 17, 2010 at 9:23 am | Report abuse |
    • CaseyAssflex

I love it when apologists like you blame this stuff on a society that's too obsessed with celebrity. We may, in fact, be obsessed, but I don't see guys like JP and CA handing any of their paychecks back uncashed, do you? It always convenient to blame this on the ills of society, but every one of these doosh stars are willing to ride the fame pony as long as he'll gallop. Joaquin Phoenix is a dooshbag and he'll be starring in "National Treasure 3" pretty soon. Yeah, the tripe that even Nicoloas Cage won't take.

September 17, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

He'll make like 5m for National Treasure 3 and he's a better actor than Nicolas Cage so it would probably be the best one yet.

September 19, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  63. nfp

No S***t! It was so obvious from the Letterman show that it was a hoax, ala Andy Kaufman! Too bad Joaquin let himself be talked into it. He is a very talented actor and not worthy of this kind of shenanigans! I hope his legitimate acting career doesn't suffer for it!

September 17, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  64. Susan

Dumb. What an idiotic concept and it sounds perfectly painful to watch. Go away, both of you. Mr. Phoenix had a good career prior to this and I admired him. Ugh, no more, I won't be able to get this ridiculous project/stunt out of my mind.

September 17, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  65. Zerofalls

He should now build a wall and do all of his acting behind it to show his alienation from his fans.

September 17, 2010 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  66. b heath

Not bad old chap

September 17, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  67. luchiano

It was very obvious that this meltdown was a performance. Andy Kaufman was doing this surrealist type performance back in the late 70's early 80's and also featured many times on Letterman always in character. Once he appeared on the show apparently down on his luck begging the audience for money. LOL. Check youtube.

September 17, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  68. donna

What an INCREDIBLE waste of time. He spent how many years in 'costume' to make this dud – for what? Everyone already knew it was a joke. No one but Ebert thought that he would allow someone to publicly show him puking his guts out. And at least Ebert should have seen his co-writers' names appear in the credits. Pathetic.

September 17, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Really? "A dud", did this project not entertain more people than you ever did? Stop talking like a chump.

September 19, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
  69. Blaise

Ha! Look at all the people that posted who care!

September 17, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  70. M.R.

So this was a publicity stunt. You went to far.The message,whatever that was. could have been conveyed in a movie or book. Fooling around with peoples emotion is not the way of gaining support. This stunt willbite you.

September 17, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  71. Farmerswife

The man is a genius actor...a chameleon...I knew damn well he hadn't lost his senses. He should have got an oscar for his movie "Walk the Line" too!

September 17, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  72. sarah michelle

I just hope joaquin is back as an actor in movies - he's too talented to waste.

September 17, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  73. citizenUSA

Yeah, great performance making the world think you're some freaky nutball and calling it entertainment. Andy Kaufman pioneered this kind of "performance". You sir, are no Andy Kaufman.

September 17, 2010 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • guest

Your perception sucks so bad. Listen to some Pharcyde and let yourself become happy.

September 19, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  74. Donovan

This smells like the result of a nasty threat from brother Ben to set it straight

September 17, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  75. Joan

Genius! Thanks for 'clearing' things up :) waiting in angst for your next project lol

September 17, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  76. Ripley

Tell that to the Producers and Director of Two Lovers, the movie he was promoting on Letterman. I'm sure they'll be very amused.

September 17, 2010 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
  77. JakeLakeJack

Hey, Casey: Way to blow the lid off the whole "Celebrity is a hollow idol" story. Before you reload your camera, by the way, pro wrestling is fake.

September 17, 2010 at 4:59 am | Report abuse |
  78. jam108

Feels like a ripoff, but I'm glad to hear Phoenix is not as film portrayed him to be.

September 17, 2010 at 4:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. stasluk

anyone cares?

September 17, 2010 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  80. Doubter

Not buying this version of events. The doc/mockdoc was getting negative reviews, and JP was getting negative - and pitying - press. So Affleck changes the story around to say, "Surprise! We got you!." Nope. It may be a faked doc in that you did multiple takes and staged some scenes. You wouldn't be the first filmmaker to cheat like that. But The timing of your "surprise" announcement is highly suspect, Affleck.

September 17, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  81. g-ma

This was on Letterman-give credit to Dave for making it seem real....I loved Andy Kauffman!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  82. Colin

I mean, this is really don't different from what Andy Kaufman was doing back in the 70s, if it's really a hoax that is. I'm thinking the interview with Affleck is the hoax and that when Phoenix watched himself doing all this retarded stuff he woke up and decided to get clean.

September 17, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Doubter

Andy Kaufman got so caught up in his act that he seemed to lose track of where he ended and the act began. The man was disturbed.

September 17, 2010 at 2:37 am | Report abuse |
  83. shiva

anything for money, and soon they will sow

September 17, 2010 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  84. Germaine Kirk

Really?......Didn't someone already do a Donnie Brasco movie?...Reality/life and becoming the Character? What is this Theater 101 in college?

September 17, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  85. dave

Who cares.

September 17, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  86. Chachi

It was boring before we knew and guess what, it's still a snooze!

September 17, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  87. brad1001

It's getting them press anyway. That's what it's all about.

September 17, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  88. ALCOHTRAZ

Now that joaquin is an acting 5150 / let's reference some actual nut jobs... Ill start / mel gibson.. lol

September 17, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  89. Coo coo

AWESOME! Whats next? LOL :)

September 17, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  90. hahahahaha!!!!

This is hilarious to the extent of the word. Everyone believed that he had gone off the deep end (including me) and all of these people on here saying "Duhh'" and "Casey's covering up for him" is obviously either deluded or egotistical. Deluded because, come on. Who could go that crazy, in that short amount of time and NOT be acting? And egotistical because you don't want to admit that you were fooled. It makes you feel less intelligent then him.
    Come on guys. He got us. And Bra-effin-vo Joaquin. It was an excellent performance.

September 17, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  91. Joaquin Phoenix aka J-Dawg

I touched a guys balls once in Hebrew School.

September 17, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  92. Marc Ellis

You know what's real, NEVER investing my money in Casey Affleck or Joaquin Phoenix's attempts to film STUPIDITY... Any future films will go straight to DVD, and languish in the $5 bins at Walmart...

September 17, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  93. Janer

Who cares? Anyone? Anyone?

September 17, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  94. byronBBB

Thanks for clarifying, I was really caught up in the whole act and im sooo glad you could reveal, shocking as it is, this for the whole world. So timely, so wonderful! im soooo glad you performed this service, i was so "buying" the act. wow ~ far out , hehehehehhehe

September 17, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  95. John

I thought everyone had figured that out!

September 16, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  96. SMathis

It was an obvious fake film. RP died of an OD and JP is not a druggy because HE WITNESSED THE WHOLE THING @the VR. It left an impression on him. This was an exercise for JP and a favor to CA.

September 16, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Arglebargle

It's Hollywood, folks. NOTHING they ever do or say is real. Weddings, divorces, addictions, problems, etc., they're ALL fake!

Well, except for that pig Hilton Perez. He really is a dooshbag.

September 16, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

I'm pretty sure death due to substance abuse is real. We could ask Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Michael Jackson, or River, but I don't think we'd get a reply. Joaquin is next in line if he doesn't change his life around

September 19, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  98. DE

What a great way to make an ass of yourself on national TV Joaquin – hope you and Casey are proud of your 'peformances!'

September 16, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Nancy

If the craziness was fake...why would affleck be telling us instead of phoenix? ...phoenix, if you want the chance at any sort of Hollywood career ever again, you better make an appearance pronto ...sorrowfully, phoenix's drug enslavement and downward spiral is all just very real.

September 16, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Millie

Um Phoenix was his brother who did die of an overdose. He was a brilliant star who got caught up in the lifestyle & fell away. Maybe Joaquin was trying to get in his brother's head to get rid of his own demons about his death.

September 17, 2010 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Kristin

River Phoenix. Joaquin Phoenix. Both Phoeni.

September 17, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Amanda

No, River was his brother who died of an overdoes. Phoenix is their last name.

September 17, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  100. mejazzbo

Pretty boring genius. No Hunter S. Thompson. I wasn't going to see the movie, now I'm positive I won't even rent it.

September 16, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  101. etchy

dude, this whole thing is a copy of another mockumentary made in Hong Kong 4 years ago called 'The Heavenly Kings'.... actors fooling everyone by claiming to become musicians and secretly filming it for a movie. almost exact...

September 16, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  102. PosterChild

Love it.

September 16, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Jason T.

So if I get all strung out acting I can just say I was putting on a show? Wow! I bet Brittany and Lindsey are wishin they thought of that!

September 16, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  104. bob

Hmm he is a joke you r all a joke and what happened to the entertaiment industry when the hired theses idiots

September 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  105. JackStraw

Of course it was not real...ly easy to tell if it was an act.

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  106. tcf

Very 1st comment....I concur, let's see a few to prove it guys. Either way, I just hope he has his sh** back in order. Always thought he would have made his big bro proud with his performances in Gladiator and Walk The Line (for which he certainly deserved the Oscar, as did Fiennes in Schindler's). Rock on Phoenix!

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  107. jason m.

What an idiot!

September 16, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  108. drseth

Acting.........Sure.....

September 16, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Mike

Only a total idiot would think it was real.

September 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Shaun

Casey Affleck is Joaquins friend. The new odf this Doc has been out for awhile ans there was no real protest or intervention by his friend and family. Also there was no negative reaction by colleague on the apparant explotation of a deranged and sick man, I new it was a clever mockumentary. chance for Joaquin to cut loose and pretty much do what he wanted.

September 16, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Mr Shaggyhomelessguy

What a genius!!!!!

I remember when his nut job behavior on letterman sparked a thought of insanity amongst many. I hope his ventures into rap are also just a hoax.

So now that we have that out of the way, ummmm....is Paris and Brittany and Lindsay shooting a similar type mockumentary?

September 16, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  112. marchel

What, pray tell, was the point, again? I definitely missed it. This may have been "the performance of his career," but it may well also be the one that ends it.

September 16, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • proda

The point is that these "celebrities" are so self important they can manipulate the poor masses and mock their fans when they want to. He is just another egocentric moron that thinks we care about him and I hope the film loses a lot of money and we can prove to him that he isn't important at all. Let's all put on a performance and ignore him! damn fool.

September 17, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
    • aaron

Did it ever occur to you that they did this to make fun of people like Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise? Why don't people get satire? It's really not that difficult to pick up on. It's like Sacha Baron Coen. He was playing a character to prove a point. I think people are getting dumber because of reality tv. Breaking news! The Hills isn't real either.

September 17, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Aaron is spot on.

Do people just not understand Satire anymore? Or have you all been too overwhlemed with Jersey Shore and Real World episodes that you simply don't comprehend it?

September 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

I get satire. But I didn't find this remotely funny, interesting, or entertaining. I found it quite sad that a man on his career path would choose to throw it all away on a year of nonsense that could, quite actually, destory the career he spent a lifetime building. If he just made a movie away from the publicity, and showed it as a satire, that would have been fine. But, to actually live the life in every way for all this time? Yes, I understand performance art too, but this man may very well have just sacrificed his career for this one joke. I hope he felt it was worth it.

September 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Tibbs

Well, DURRRRRRR!

September 16, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  114. BPrudenVT

He's gonna show up in character and deny Affleck's statements and stay odd longer.

September 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rex Flexall

I bet you're right! It may not happen exactly like that, but it could be a continuation of the entire thing. Good call! We'll see.

September 19, 2010 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Adam

Like anyone cares. The movie flopped and both Joaquin Phoenix and Casey affleck are flops.

September 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  116. kozcup

Wow what a farce!still think he is weird!

September 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Insightful Wage Monkey

Hahahahaha! Awesome! Good for him. I was even believing he was a mental case. I'm happy it was an act, even if I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. If it had been real, it would have been real sad. Very convincing. Was his obsession with rap part of the character?

September 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |

Thank God it was all an act. I was so sad for him as he is such a talented actor! Joaquin deserves an Oscar for his 1 1/2 year long performance. Man what alot of work that would take. I am so releive that he didn't go down the same path as his brother River (with the drugs etc). I can't wait to see him back doing movies!

September 17, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  118. maria

Good for you please take a bath and a haircut would be nice

September 16, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Sparklescout

In other news, water is wet.

September 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Report abuse |
  120. kloud

He faked those huge rips he was doin too...

September 16, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Demetria

Yeah, right. God please help me!

September 16, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Frances R.

GENIUS!!!

September 16, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  123. B-Dog

Bullsugar! Show me some outtakes!

September 16, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • ikantraed

LIES!!!! Ben is covering for this guy.. Some agent somewhere needs to make some money of their cash cow again.. There is something more realistic to this story going on.. And that this guy needs drug treatment ASAP.

September 17, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Colleen

@ikantraed: Ben who?

September 17, 2010 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • KDUBS

This will blow Kaufman out of the water. And its Casey Affleck, not Ben.

September 17, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Mike J.

I'm guessing you meant Ben Affleck. As for this story, I think it's hilarious. I've really been hoping Joaquin hadn't turned into a drug addicted nut job and that this whole thing was just a ruse – or rather – a performance. He is an extremely amazing actor and to see his career get flushed down the toilet would be a shame. I'm not a Letterman fan but I cannot wait to see him on there again. Maybe we'll get some answers and hopefully we'll get to see him back to being "himself" again!

September 17, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Todd

Geez you're gullible. You probably believe politicians too.

September 17, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Hutch

Prepare to feel silly, ikantraed.

September 17, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Casey Affleck: 'I'm Still Here' wasn't real -– Casey is an azzhole. Why didn't he just let Joaquin reveal it on Letterman?

September 17, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian

No matter how hard he tries, he'll never be the actor his brother was. He's still a joke whether it was a staged performance or not.

September 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh brian...

really?!?!?! river phoenix is your guide to what you rate as a good actor...drink some more koolaid!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh brian...

or were you referring to BEN...cuz he's just a brilliant actor. HA! One good screenplay is all you need now a days...my dog is a better actor... lmao

September 17, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

This guy called it in Jan 09:

September 17, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike Chevere

Casey Affleck is awesome! Good work buddy!

September 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • EC Brown

Who the hell cares?

September 19, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • MissDiaz

Ben? LOL!

September 23, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  124. t

Not cool.

September 16, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  125. facts

it's a scar he's had since birth, idiot!!!

September 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Shleigh

are you kidding me?, your really bring River into this?.... thats just rude, and disreprectful!

September 17, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  127. Shleigh

oops bringing...lol..

September 17, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  128. Child, Please!

Just as surely you'll get yours for speaking death to anyone, Demon!

September 17, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  129. Brooke

Of course he makes reference to River's death in a terrible way... because he killed John Lennon. >.> D0uche.

September 17, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |