'Parenthood' returns - this time, with a Baldwin
September 15th, 2010

'Parenthood' returns - this time, with a Baldwin

The second season of “Parenthood” premiered last night, and the Bravermans are pretty much where we left them.

Sarah is still in her parents’ guest house and still looking for a career, and Zeek is still at home - after being kicked out near the end of last season - and is wooing his way back.

He and Camille have had some marital counseling, because he now “sees and hears” Camille. Sarah, on the other hand, couldn't believe what she was seeing and hearing. As for Zeek, he couldn't believe he was spending $150 an hour for something he doesn’t understand.

Crosby went to visit Adam to tell him that Jasmine and Jabbar are coming to visit from New York. Crosby seemed excited about seeing his son and his girlfriend…So why was he eying Max’s therapist?

Apparently, someone decided this season needed more annoying side characters; enter one of the Baldwin brothers, William.

He's going to be the single and single-minded boss who apparently exists as an island and doesn’t get that people have families and need to tend to family crises, occasionally during business hours. Considering all the family crises the Bravermans have and the fact that Adam is the Guy Who Wants to Fix Everything, Boss Baldwin is exactly the kind of manager Adam doesn’t need.

On another note, it’s nice to see the sibling, “hey, that’s mine, you can’t steal it” thing lasts into middle age. Sarah offhandedly said Adam should invent a shoe lojack that helps kids find their shoes. He mentioned it to Boss Baldwin in an awkward meeting and then took credit for it when he got the go-ahead to make it happen. Sarah called him on it later, and Adam eventually apologized and offered her a job.

But you know, parents should probably never teach their own kids how to drive. I’m not saying that from any traumatic personal experience - watching Kristina try to teach Haddie how to drive is reason enough.

Haddie went to her dad for help, which frustrated her more and led to the line of the night from Haddie: “Dad, do you guys have, like, some stupid agreement about not acknowledging each others’ flaws?” Adam: “Yeah, it’s called marriage.” (As a matter of fact, after watching that whole thing, I’m going to start saving now to hire someone to teach my daughter to drive in a few years.) Kristina eventually fessed up to being terrified about Haddie driving and possibly ending up in an accident.

That's one of the reasons why I love this show; it's nice to watch a program where the hour ends on a nice note with no sudden horrible deaths, no time shifting, no world crisis to avert and no deep metaphysical mystery to solve.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to Tuesday nights with the Bravermans?

1. lorelai

i loved the scene with max's meltdown, how gabby took her earrings off and calmed him down, it was great

October 11, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. purplekam123

Parenthood is still a good show but PLEASE get rid of the Baldwin. He adds nothing and quite frankly I think the Baldwins are highly over-rated.

October 5, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. deb

I really like this show. It's right up there with Brothers and Sisters but yet the family is completely different. I started watching Brothers and Sisters because Sally Field is in it (one of my favorite actresses) and started watching Parenthood because Bonnie Bedelia and Mae Whitman are in it. So far this season Bonnie Bedelia and Mae Whitman haven't had much going on. I hope they have plenty to do this season as they are my favorite actresses in this show. They are wasting their talent! I'm glad to see that Craig T. Nelson cut that hair! He looks like his old self again. Hated that long hair..made him look like an old man.

October 3, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carrie

I liked this at first but now find it very boring , it is just so flat , not sure what it is but just does not keep my attention anymore.And now with this" uppity i am always right"Baldwin in this show will not watch at all.

October 1, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yvonne

I am confused I remember MR. BALDWIN saying he would move to Cananda if Obama was elected now he pops up on one of my favorite shows. I guess since he supposedly is bankrupt he has to say in the good old USA under Obama regime. lol lol

September 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. KariVery

You left out the part where Julia and Joel's daughter was asking about how babies are made ... hilarious!!

September 24, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mary

I love this show. My grandson also has Asperger's and it is amazing to me how well they capture the essence of this disease. I love the way the siblings all have very different personalities, but are bound by family ties nevertheless. I know there are a lot of contrivances in order to create that kind of storyline, but it does resonate reality. Don't change a thing (except maybe to get rid of the Baldwin character). And don't let the writers mess with the characters' basic personalities - it seems like every time there is a good show, the writers change and then they start changing the moral compass of the characters.

September 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Genevieve

This show does not compare to Brothers and Sisters. There is no chemistry between the siblings, Adam's wife is just annoying, everything that revolves around the younger sister and her stay-at-home husband is pointless, I mean get a grip, they have spent the last season showing the guy making cupcakes and hosting playdates, enough already. The characters do not evolve, Peter Krause is wasting his talent.

September 17, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tamara

loved the first season but i'm hoping the 2nd season gets better, kind of an awful start :/

September 16, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. chelseaylor

Love this show and the characters. It's definitely more a drama with a bit of real life smiles thrown in. Truthfully, I don't think the Baldwin character brings anything to the show...in fact, I find him annoying and distracting to the other storylines. I hope it gets better.

September 16, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. bamee

It's life, it's funny, I can relate to all of it, and my whole family can watch it together, and then talk about it later (My 16 year old used the driving scene to tell me that I am worse than that mom)What more could you ask for. Love the cast (hoping Baldwin doesn't stick around).

September 16, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sara

I tried to like this show, but it's so bland. Just another drama about rich white people.

September 16, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  13. Penny

My husband and I love this show, can't get enough. The characters are great, and the things that happen are so real life.

September 16, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  14. Irwin

A great, great show!. The Bravermans are like the Walkers (on Brothers and Sisters), but much more down to earth in a much better show. I misses Amber not having much time, as she is so good.

As for Crosby making eyes at Max' therapist, it's the same reason Riggins did in FNL. She is sooooo hot!

September 15, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. mona

I love this show and all of the characters. I hope it stays around.

September 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Betty

I loved the show from the start. Thank you for having a "nice family show".

September 15, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |