Cher 'turned back time' at VMAs
September 13th, 2010

Cher 'turned back time' at VMAs

It didn't look like Cher needed to turn back time at the VMAs last night.

The 64-year-old singer proudly walked out onto the VMA stage Sunday wearing an outfit nearly identical to the iconic (and revealing) one she donned in her 1989 music video, “If I Could Turn Back Time.” Even her hair was reaching its former heights.

“I’m the oldest chick with the biggest hair and the littlest costume,” she told the audience. “I have shoes older than most of these nominees.”

Cher was on hand to announce the winner of the Video of the Year award, which went to Lady Gaga for “Bad Romance.” Gaga is known for making a statement or two with fashion as well, and accepted her award in a dress made of meat. No, really - Gaga's rep told CNN that the dress was made by House of Gaga out of actual meat.

Filed under: Celebrities • MTV VMAs • television

1. teetsiefly

I think Cher thinks fans are batting their lashes at her when she steps out for a night on the town, but really they're just blinded and blinking from the 1000+ sequins she always wears...

December 23, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. JamesinPhila

Everyone seems to be overlooking the most important differences in Cher and Lady GaGa, Madonna and whomever, etc. Cher, Madonna, Tina Turner, and quite a few others each had their own, original distinct style. Sure, they shocked, swore and had some crazy papperazzi (sp) adventures, but they were independent and had real lives in addition to their stage personna. But the one big thing the GaGa's, the Amy Winehouses and the new breed really lacks can be summed up in one word: CLASS.

October 28, 2010 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. 2darkpark

Not that it matters, but if you really watched cher at the vma you would notice she is wearing a latex mask. A very well done latex mask.

September 17, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  4. whybother

At 64 years old plastic surgery or not Cher looks amazing! Cher also has an amazing voice! I am a fan of Lady Gaga as well but that dress was horrid, a meat dress? Seriously?

September 16, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. scroo yoo

And yet she couldnt turn back gravity

September 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marian

Agree with FS,,,Cher is fabulously talented and she still rocks it even at 64! Keep on keeping on, Cher!

September 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LA Lawrence

Just wanted to acknowledge much earlier originals, like Josephine Baker and the still throwing it down GRACE JONES!!!!! Gaga's good, but not unique.

September 15, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lauren

Cher is iconic... but that "hair" is a wig, people!

September 15, 2010 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
  9. SF

Cher is an icon as is her "turn back time" outfit. Hey, if you can pull off an outfit like that at 64, I say go for it! As far as Gaga's meat dress, I just found it gross. Yes, I understand it was a political statement but it just seems so unsanitary. I mean would you want to sit in a chair after someone in a meat dress had sat in it? Both of these ladies are great singers and have weathered their share of controversial outfits and lifestyles. I think Cher was the perfect choice to present the award to Gaga. May both of them rock on for many, many years to come.

September 14, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. STLrose

Just because you CAN wear an outfit does not mean you SHOULD...referring to both Cher & Lady GaGa. They both have outrageous personal styles and have/had the fit bodies to pull them off. Talent-wise, GaGa has great vocal range and is an amazing performer, musician and song writer. Cher has always been very unique and made the most of her limited, yet appealling, singing voice. If Madonna's career can last as long as it has, then GaGa will be around forever! Cher has taken tremendous care of her health and appearance and has had some serious body work done.

September 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lady Gag

I don't think Gaga's dress will be wearable in 25-30 years lol like Cher's wonderific outfit...what a classic

September 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. babs

Let's not forget Grace Jones. She was more of the GaGa edge. She still dresses wild today even though she's as old as Cher. Sorry kiddos. After seeing the best I just can't watch Lady GaGa with out thinking to myself, "Grace did it better"

September 13, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Love Grace Jones! I love Gaga, too, so I wouldn't compare the two. After all, there will probably be someone saying that '_____ did it better than Grace Jones'.

September 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dan

Lady Gaga is absolutely reaching. The dress not only reeks of foul meat...it reeks of desperation. She's trying way too hard to come across as edgy and different. I don't foresee her being able to maintain that over a long career.

September 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • zbtrocker

She's a flash in the pan. Anybody that does costume changes during an awards show knows that their time is up.

September 14, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  14. Think Before You Speak...

@ LiKaDeeSpLiTChik .. "check her out Sonny!!!" ??
    Inappropriate :-/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono

September 13, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Frank

Cher looks wonderful -thanks to her surgeon and mortician. But I disgress... =P

At least Gaga can say that she's one of the lucky few whose clothes literally rotted away. Tasty.

September 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. just sayin

oh no
    Cher has the cat woman mouth and obvious cheek implants

September 13, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jangocat

Yup, she still has no class and is vein as hell. Her plastic surgeon must have made millions off her.

September 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Goo-goo for Gaga!

I think Gaga is hot. She sings half decent too. I just love the trashy types and Gaga fits the bill. I'll bet she's a freak in the sack.

September 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. LiKaDeeSpLiTChik

I appreciate Gaga & her craft, but that outfit made of meat could have fed me and the homeless! It's a shame & a pity good meat was wasted on her body. Cher is still on point, check her out Sonny!!! She's still kicking it & keeping it real.

September 13, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"Keeping it real"? Is that irony? lol And Sonny's dead, he's not checking out much of anything. lol

September 13, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  20. piperfan

LADY GAGA – He does not rule!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  21. jazzy red talk show

Cher got it going on! I have a tv show in mobile Alabama I would love to have her on my show she's cool!

September 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kittybling

She l@@ks Fab for her age, yes nicks n tucks buy hey, that's L.A. Props for Cher ;)

September 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  23. sheppard

Love Cher – but I sure wish she had left her face alone about 4 procedures ago. Her lips in particular. She looked so much better before. Nuttin wrong with getting older, you can still be beautiful.

September 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • ty

Well if she is not a HOE then what do you call that thing she is wearing. Oh I forgot, she is a lezbo......

September 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ty

What a HOE!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

what a JERK!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

At least make an attempt to be literate. A hoe is a gardening tool.

And needless to say, I disagree with your post.

September 16, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  25. robert

There will never be another cher so people should appreciate her for blessing us with years of quality entertainment

September 13, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. HUGE FAN

CHER– YOU STILL HAVE IT...

September 13, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  27. malabar

cyndi still gets no love :( but they are all pretty awesome in their own way. chers heart of stone and believe albums are my favs

September 13, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Bullwinkle

An outfit made of meat. I have only one thing to say about that "release the hounds"

September 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  29. debbie

CHER is beyond amazing. Can't wait to see her and Christina Aquilera in their movie "Burlesque" in November !!!!

September 13, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  30. vini gall

Why are we so fascinated with drag queens? Cher meet Gaga...big deal! You can see and here that any night of the week at your local drag bar. Considering how much is spent, I choose the real queens...

September 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sofakinghawt

I have to say Cher looked AMAZING! I'm a Gaga fan, but the whole meat thing is gross...

September 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Insightful Wage Slave

I was ten feet away from Cher at the Misteltoe Meltdown in Baltimore about twenty years ago, give or take, and she didn't even get through two songs when the crowd sort of took the mic away from her. She was at the front of the stage, and had all of these hands up in her face, and somebody grabbed the mic. Except.... she was still singing over the PA! Classic lip-sync bust! It was hilarious! She put her hands over her face, blew a couple of kisses, and left the stage. Not to return. Freaking HILARIOUS! This happened at a place called 'Bohager's', which has been gone for many years. Google it!

September 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  33. BadaBing

What was the point of these "awards"? The same 5-6 artisits/songs/videos were nominated in every category. Boring and pointless.

September 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. lizzy

First you gotta have the voice – and boy does Cher. The costume changes are just entertainment. Keep on going Cher!

September 13, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  35. bebe

Cher and madonna open the door and paved the way for the new generation coming up.

September 13, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  36. irma

Cher !!!! Got u babe!!

September 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Brian

Saw Cher live on the 'Believe' tour. She is alone in her class, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same context as other 'artists'. There never has been, isn't and never will be another with her talent. I challenge anyone who's seen her perform live to argue the point.

September 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ??

That's why Gaga won 8 awards, including one choosen by MTV's viewers. Right?

September 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  39. PBMcWatt

It will take alot more than a dress to turn back the hands of time on that wrinkly old face/body. Ugh

September 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  40. patti

Time for someone new! I like her album. They are all good in their own way. That's what makes it so much fun! Luv. Patti

September 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Mandy

I would have loved to have seen Cher perform at the vma's this year. She is still smoking. As for Lady Gaga and he rotting dress, thats quite gross.

September 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. straightUP

Plastic surgery or not, Cher looks amazing...

September 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. CATom

ladu gaga is like cher except he has an adams apple

September 13, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • GetALife

Q: Why do people bash Lady Gaga? A: Because they are too old and stuck in the 80's or 90's to understand that she is here for a new generation. You had Cher and you had Madonna and now we have Lady Gaga. There were people who hated or disliked Madonna and Cher and when the next pop star comes along they will be loathed also.

September 13, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Well said. Lady Gaga is an icon for a new generation. When I'm old and gray, I'll probably be telling the young twerps that none of their idols compare to Gaga.

September 13, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gwendolyn

Hey GetALife .... I am I suppose one of the old people you are talking about (I am in my early 50's) and I actually have many songs by Lady Gaga on my iPod. Nope – don't really think it is a generation thing. Just a matter of likes and dislikes really. Have a good day :-)

September 15, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Hey, Gwen, my mom is turning 60 this year and she loves Gaga, too. ;)

September 15, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Warrior Woman

No need to be jealous ClanMacDuff.....anyone can look like that with plastic surgery and injectables.

September 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

No, not quite. You also have to be willing to dedicate yourself to a hard work-out program to stay in shape. I'm 57, and the older I get, the more I realize that.

September 13, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Amanda

Cher rocks!

September 13, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. ClanMacDuff

OK. Am I the only one that is jealous that Cher is 64 and looks that damn good? Holy Cow! She is the original and a classy lady in my book.

September 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

haha – you're not alone in this one – Cher's an original baby!

September 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cyndi B

LOVE Cher... and she looks great... but don't be jealous. she has had many many surgeries!

September 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Cher's body isn't even original. =/

I do like Cher, though.

September 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

Cher looks good at 64 because she has the money for plastic surgery, etc. You don't really believe all that hair is actually growing out of her scalp, do you? Or that the color is natural? I like and admire Cher, but give credit where it's due, eh? The only part of her for which she can take direct credit is the slim, toned body, which obviously takes a lot of work, no matter how much money you have.

September 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sleeping Beauty

I am so with you on that... I can only wish in my dreams I will look like that at 64. Although, if I had her money for the plastic surgery she has had, I would be able to look like that. And no I am not downgrading Cher. I am one of her biggest fans.

September 15, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

"The only part of her for which she can take direct credit is the slim, toned body, which obviously takes a lot of work, no matter how much money you have."

It's called liposuction, honey. They can even give you toned abs using certain lipo techniques.

September 15, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Shawn

Lady Gaga may be talented, but I agree that madonna and cher did it all before. The younger generations are too young to remember what they did.

September 13, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daphne

Its not fair to say they are copying....There were people before them that also were extreme. I am a part of the "younger generation" and I very well remember just what they did. If I wasnt around for it I sure do remeber stories about it because I choose to surround myself with what was the 'headliners' of that time's music. To be so close minded is a bit of an insult to my generation. Not all of us are walking around worshipping the ground Justin Beiber walks on.

September 14, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  48. MadCityBabe

Lady GagMe does not rule, she's a wannabe – Cher, Madonna all came before her....were originals.....and did it MUCH BETTER!

September 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laurie

There were extreme women in Hollywood before Cher and Madonna. You can't say anyone who is outrageous is copying someone else. Each generation has its entertainers, and they are all doing their own thing.

September 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

And people came before them, as well.

September 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Yep it's all a process of people benefitting from the courage of those who came before them. It's unfair to always say that someone is just copying someone else. It's just a natural process.

September 13, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Personally, I think we should take it back to Adam and Eve. Eve was the ultimate iconoclastic bad girl. RAWR.
      Everyone else is just copying off of her!

September 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Or Lilith.

September 13, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • susan

Originals? Bessie Smith, Big Mama Thornton, Dinah Washington..... ladies breaking the rules started long long ago :)
      it's a good thing and you got to roll with the decades little sister.... bad girls make me smile!

September 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • susan

P.S. I'm with Frank! Eve gave it her best.

September 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

Definately!!!!

September 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • king of snitches

You should actually look up Grace Jones as a reference for Lady Gaga's borrowed image. She is the queen of crazy clothing.

September 16, 2010 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  49. MeMyslefAndI

Lady Gaga is just trying to copy Cher. That's all.

September 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |