MTV Video Music Awards live blog
September 12th, 2010

MTV Video Music Awards live blog

Another year, another MTV Video Music Awards, but after what went down at the 2009 awards show - and we're not just talking about Kanye - it feels like expectations are a bit higher for this one.

The stars are already arriving, including Lady Gaga wearing headgear that looks higher than this season's platform stilettos.

Have a seat, make some snacks (perhaps an adult beverage or three) and hang out while we live blog the shenanigans. The pre-show has kicked off on the white carpet, and the awards, hosted by Chelsea Handler, will start at 9 p.m.

8:03 p.m. They've got one of the most prolific artists of the year, Drake, hanging out for the interview right off the top. (He looks smooth, per usual - fresh haircut, nice all black suit.) His game plan for tonight? Make all the women feel special, the famous and the nonfamous alike. Aw, how sweet.

8:05 p.m. Paramore up next on the white carpet, and Hayley Williams has the mic. All of you who didn't go to their shows? This performance will be for you, she says.

8:08 p.m. Ne-Yo and Trey Songz are on point with the wardrobe as well. They stopped to chat with SuChin Pak who was wearing the H&M dress everyone apparently voted for ... thoughts?

8:13 p.m. Katy Perry chatted up Sway (with what looks like pink and blue streaks in her hair; is this new trend? Lady Gaga has a bit of blue in her hair tonight as well. But moving on.) Another style note: Katy's got a Russell Brand manicure. If that isn't love, well ...

8: 16 p.m. What performances are you guys most looking forward to tonight?

8:18 p.m. According to Snooks, you need two things to look your best: A tan and some "bling bling." Oh, and that missing poof? She's going for the bangs this year; she wanted a new look.

8:20 p.m. Lady Gaga's already won two awards, and the show hasn't even started yet. She took home best collaboration for her "Telephone" video with Beyonce, and best dance video for "Bad Romance."

8:26 p.m. Beliebers are flipping out right now: Bieber and Usher are hanging out with Sway (again with the all-black on the guys - both are dressed in black from head to toe with shades to match). Oh, Biebs plays the trumpet?

8:33 p.m. Nicki Minaj is doing her thing on the white carpet with a solo performance. She turned her backside to the audience, and the crowd went wild. She's supposed to be joined by Will.I.Am ... annnnd there he is.

8:40 p.m. First performance of the night - Barbies and non-barbies alike, what'd you think of Nicki and Will.I.Am?

8:42 p.m. We love that the cast of "Jersey Shore" are now film critics. New girl says she'd definitely come with her friends to see "Jackass 3D" and the Sitch finds it entertaining.

8:45 p.m. We're not quite sure what just happened, but that moment with the new TJ was awkward.

8:49 p.m. B.o.B. dared to be different and rock something other than all-black on the red carpet. Oh, what's this? A Kanye film?

8: 50 p.m. That was for the song he's going to perform later tonight: "Runaway."

8:53 p.m. Ke$ha pulls a Missy circa 1997 and wears a garbage bag on the white carpet. Tell her she looks like trash; she'll thank you.

8:59 p.m. Sway's interview is on right before the show but you can barely hear them over the screaming. (Aw, she gives a shout out to Honey B!)

9:00 p.m. Eminem is kicking it off with a huge live band, strings included.

9:03 p.m. He did great with "Not Afraid," and oh look! Rihanna makes an appearance for "Love the Way You Lie"!

9:04 p.m. Er um, we're not entirely sure about RiRi's outfit tonight. And is her mic not totally working? Vocals went in and out a bit.

9:05 p.m. Lindsay! She's checking Chelsea Handler for drinking and slaps her around. "You're a mess! Think anyone wants to work for a drunk? Take it from me, they don't."

9:07 p.m. Did. Not. See. that one coming. At least Linds has a sense of humor about it?

9:08 p.m. Get 'em Chelsea. Great post-Gaga impersonation wardrobe change.

9:12 p.m. Introduces "Jersey Shore" to applause. But of course, as she points out, they're the reason MTV doesn't play music videos anymore.

9:13 p.m. Chelsea: Kanye is the big black elephant in the room.

9:15 p.m. VMA for best female video goes to Gaga for Bad Romance, second award for this video, third for Gaga for the night. Man she's McQueen'ed out tonight - she also thanks him for supplying the clothes in her video. She also thanks gays for remaking the video over and over again.

9:24 p.m. Hmm. Those last two jokes - about Lady Gaga turning that bird into a hat and an intro for "Jackass" crew - weren't all that funny. But speaking of Gaga, one of the top tweets on Twitter right now for "Lady Gaga looks" trending topic: "Lady Gaga looks like the lion, the witch, AND the wardrobe."

9:26 p.m. Best rock video VMA goes to 30 Seconds to Mars for "Kings and Queens."

9:28 p.m. All we can say is "meh" on the Kim-Kardashian's-Got-It-Bad-for-Bieber joke. LOL at the way this kid just removed his sunglasses. Ladies and gents, Bieber's not playing.

9: 30 p.m. One CNN.com'er says she's impressed with Bieber's moves - who knew he could get down like that?

9:32 p.m. Wow. That, my friends, was a performance. A drum solo? Bieber showed up and showed out.

9:38 p.m. Trey Songz and Ke$ha just introduced Usher's performance. Was it just us, or did Ke$ha sound like she'd been brushing her teeth with a bottle of Jack again?

9:40 p.m. Usher isn't messing around either. The set! So many colors! And what look like some sexy "OMG" ninjas.  The crowd is loving it.

9:45 p.m. Phew. With that whole, "Nicki I met my man at the VMA's" shtick from Katy Perry,  it looked like they were going to resurrect that Drake/Nicki got married thing. Glad they didn't go there. Anyway: Best male video VMA goes to: Eminem for "Not Afraid," but he had to go back to New York to perform with Jay-Z.

9:55 p.m. Ashley Greene and Jared Leto from 30 Seconds to Mars introduced Florence + The Machine and they both looked terrified. It's okay guys! Go have what Ke$ha's having. Loving the performance of "Dog Days Are Over" though.

10:03 p.m. We don't fully support Chelsea Handler's dress change (the black was better) but she wouldn't give a [expletive] anyway. Handler looks like she's having the time of her life.

10:05 p.m. Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" takes best pop video, and she accepts, looking kinda like a goth Statue of Liberty. The outfit is a bit heavy to walk in, she says, after screaming at the top of her lungs. Haha this lady's crazy in the best way.

10:11 p.m. Taylor Swift performs on a set that reminded of us of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" at first. Oh, and she's performing barefoot. Because that shows she's still innocent? Or easier to balance on a tightrope, as the song suggests?

10:22 p.m. Justin Timberlake calls Drake the most exciting new artist...Fancy! As is this set-up...and the song they're about to perform. LOVE that they let Mary J. show off her pipes.

10:27 p.m. Excellent song choice, Drake. He could've done one of the other myriad of singles he's dropped instead, but this was a smart pick. Enjoyable performance.

10:34 p.m. Sofia Vergara introduces best hip-hop video nominees by telling B.o.B. that she'd take a ride in his airplane anytime. We're going to focus on that instead of that awkward Handler/Jersey Shore/hot tub thing that just happened. Best hip hop VMA goes to: Eminem for "Not Afraid."

10:46 p.m. We're not mad that MTV held off the B.o.B., Bruno Mars and Hayley Williams performance until the very end. "Airplanes" was definitely one of the songs of the summer, and Paramore closed it out well at the end. The performances have been good, overall - nothing too crazy, but for the most part, enjoyable.

10:53 p.m. Justin Bieber takes best new artist VMA for "Baby." Thanks Usher for being his mentor.

10:58 p.m. So you remember that Taylor Swift song, "Innocent," that she performed earlier? "It was written early this year about her feelings about last year's VMAs," her rep told CNN. And yes, "It will be on her new Speak Now album."

11:04 p.m. Vintage Cher!

11:06 p.m. Video of the year VMA goes to....Lady Gaga. But for which video? Oh, okay: Bad Romance. "I was so nervous for tonight that I would let my fans down," she says in her acceptance speech. Also, new record name: "Born This Way." Woooow - and she just dropped some killer acapella.

11:10 p.m. Visuals tonight have been on point. Kanye wears bright red against the black and white backdrop to perform "Runaway." Lyrics: "Let's have a toast for the scumbags..."

11:13 p.m. Hate him or love him, the man is a talent, as the crowd shows: They all start chanting his name as he exits the stage.

Filed under: MTV VMAs • television

1. joe

"Answer this: Name 1 format of music that whites have created. Sadly the answer is none. The Blues, Jazz, Rock N Roll, Disco, HIP HOP all the way to last night when Kanye stole the show We did that, black people"

Ever hear of classical music. It's called classical for a reason, It's been around for a while. Created by.....white people, long before any of the hugely inferior genres of music you so ignorantly listed.

Nice try

September 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. love it or hate it

People please do me a favor and forget about last year because Taylor and Kanye did. Words can not hurt, they can only make you stronger.O and the Baraka Obama comment was so uncalled for.lol Get a life!lol

September 14, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mandy

Holy crap, MTV still focuses on music? Arent they too busy watching Teen moms lives or Jersey shore wanabes????

September 13, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mark Berger

loved that Florence & The Machine band. Wish MTV played more new music. There are tons of great bands out there rarely seen on tv of played on the radio. If folks heard them, they might have more optimism about today's music.

September 13, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

Wow, is there anything you don't like? This blog is as bad as the VMA's were — too pop and crap for any real musician or critic to give a crap about.

September 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Richard

Who gives a S- about the MTV Awards? Awards to transient, flash-in-the-pan "artists" who in most cases won't amount to anything over time. Just another show aimed at the ADD crowd.

September 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. C. Torres

Very stupid and boring VMA's!!! Chelsea needs to stick with her show!!! Sorry %?* jokes!!! Little Chuey would o beena better host!!! When Eminem left he took the show with him!!!! c

September 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Malcolm

This was the worst award show of the year. I felt that they could have done a better job, and have in past years.

September 13, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. caralyn

I was so psyched for a woman to be hosting the VMAs for the first time in 16 years. But what a disgrace?!?!?! All she did was spout off trashy jokes. The funniest moment was the opening number paying homage to Lady Gaga and wearing a tiny house on her head. Should have kept the garage and her mouth shut all night.

And what is up with only showing part of Jason DeRulos performance?? He had awesome vocals and a great song it doesn't need all the extras that the other performances had. A few of which looked like they were lipsyncing?!?!

Cher was a pleasant surprise and her big hair outfit comment was priceless.

September 13, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  10. Stephanie

What's up with JUSTIN not thanking his fans for VMA award for best new artist

September 13, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. exitzer0

N kanye sucks....hiphop sux....now a days the rappers don't have talent ...the drop a beat find a hook and sing the hook all dai....pretty boi swag...kiss me trough the phn, show me bow to dougie, then there's auto tune......the game has been sucking since 02.....if it wasn't for black eyed peas there wouldn't be any more good music..by the way kanye and the cowboys blow:.phuck mtv

September 13, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. exitzer0

Great Sunday.....cowboys chocked yet again...lmao

September 13, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brad

Is this what our Country has come to? Caring nothing about the issues of the day, as long as sheople can get their starbucks, and pretend that they are celebs? Come on people, wake up! I don't give a damn what these people do and neither should you! You are all sheep.

September 13, 2010 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. missc

MTV needs to stop producing these "fake" award shows. They haven't done much in the way of promoting talented musicians since the 80s. 0nce their focused changed to producing games shows, the real world and other reality crap all that was great about MUSIC TELEVISI0N, died! I can remember a time when I was a kid in the 80s where I could see all my favorites Run DMC, Madonna (yes she once was truly shocking and actually talented – jmo), Bruce S, Cyndi Lauper, MJ (when he was black and not weird), etc. you get my drift. It's when they had hard rock nights and hip hop nights – now it's Snooki (since when did NJ become the new cool?) and the Situation (sad case right there) sitting on stage for absolutely N0 REAS0N – they don't sing, they aren't artists and they aren't even attractive to look at. Chelsea is a funny gal but why would this talent host the MTV music awards? Well I think it's because nobody else would and Russell stunk up the joint to much!
    MTV is a joke and it's sad my kids aren't exposed to real musicians these days – it's all style and voiceover'd crap!!!

September 13, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Air Boddie 23

"FdaMexNocans" I dont think u wanna go there with me. I didnt need your little History lesson to figure out youre just half black. NO self respecting African-American would say what u said or take up for that guy. Answer this: Name 1 format of music that whites have created. Sadly the answer is none. The Blues, Jazz, Rock N Roll, Disco, HIP HOP all the way to last night when Kanye stole the show We did that, black people. Unfortunatly we have always had a trend with all of these genres where white people, instead of enjoying the music they start out saying its not music. The people behind the music are criminals and countless other excuses for not liking OUR MUSIC. It ends when the "white savior" comes and makes the music safe for the masses. Elvis, The Beatles, The Bee Gee's, Vanilla Ice (around 1991 white people said he was the greatest rapper of all time!) to Eminem. In closing, listen to Kanyes lyrics from last night and Erykah Badu's from her song Window Seat. I think you will see they are talking about you. PS: Yes I did go to college. In fact I went to the same school as... wait for it... Kanye West. Columbia College Chicago where I majored in Film. CHI-TOWN STAND UP!

September 13, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Nice try

I guess they didn't teach you much about music in your little community college.

September 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  16. jen

VMA's were......ok.
    Eminem rocked! Lady Gaga was divalishious! The other drama was played out and looking for more headlines.

Miss Handler is funnier on her show I wonder if she really was high???

Life is whayt you make of it Hate and that is all you will receive Love and life returns you blessings...xoxo

September 13, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  17. mrs. parker

How did we go from discussing the vma's to discussing slavery! We have to do better!

September 13, 2010 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  18. Patricia A Lewis

Someone should let the hostess know that their is not only a difference between making fun of someone and humiliating but their is also a difference between a roast and an award show.

September 13, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  19. Andria101

I'm glad I missed the show.

September 13, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  20. Air Boddie 23

John C quit hating. If u hate Kanye so much then dont listen to his music. The truth is u hate the fact that people still buy his albums, go see him in concert, etc. This is why there is such hate between the races. If Hip Hop is so bad then invent a new musical format. But since all white people do is whine about everything I guess you all will be the First ones in line to get his new album next month. I have always been a fan of Kanye and will always be. I'm from Chicago so we always got love for Ye. Just like u Haters love fat Elvis.

September 13, 2010 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
    • FdaMexNocans

Air Boddie 23? are you seriously takin it to that level? one....you didn't even read John C.'s comment....two since im not white i can say that your the racist one in this equation. I am a half black half white man. I am educated and I have lived in the streets, I have walked in many peoples footsteps to get where I am....been in the lowest of lows....been in a few high spots as well...I have learned over my years that the most racist people on earth are African Americans. I grew up w/ my black father, was around blacks my whole childhood clear up until I was 23 yrs old. When I left to get my education I was told I would never make it and if I did it was because the whites would sympathize w/ my 1/2 white side. You say whites are racist? check your self...You blame white for slavery? check your history...Do you even know that most slaves were captured by rival tribes? and sold to the whites by blacks? So do feed this B/S go educate yourself as I did!

September 13, 2010 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. Bethany

Eminem was the best thing that happened the whole night!!

September 13, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  22. MArty

VMA was good. This is better. http://www.scoreface.com

September 13, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. Ross

Its just entertainment ppl. If you don't like it just find something else to pass the time. I didn't waste time watching it but it sounds like it had its highs and lows like anything else these days.

September 13, 2010 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  24. BlueFromBrownsvilleTx

She should not have accepted his aplogy. The only reason he's apologizing is because just like Chris Brown his career is hurting so act hurt and get a poor nieve girl to forgive you. What a loser.. Man up for your actions... Both of you.

September 13, 2010 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |
    • MsLady74

I don't like the guy either but beieve me his career was not hurting. In fact the whole thing was staged!!!! They are ALL on the same team!

September 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lebron

Mr.john C. Music these days shouldnt be listend by kids man. My kids wont be listening to the latest garbage. Unless its jazz or oldschool pop anything old.

September 13, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  26. Chase

There has GOT to be better choices for hosting the VMA'S! Chelsea was horrible.... My thirteen year old has better jokes! MTV could have picked MUCH BETTER!

September 13, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  27. John C

Melva........this is an open forum so chill out......and BTW – I am not caucasian as you have implied.
    "You arrogant white people.....that's why most of the world hates you?" Sounds like you have a
    ton of hate inside of you girl. I don't hate Kanye West – I don't even know the guy. There is a huge
    difference in not liking someone and hating them. I just think he is rude and self-centered for a person
    that is in the entertainment business and in the public eye. I have a lot of white friends that are not at
    all ignorant or arrogant.......sounds like you are the one with a big chip on your shoulder.

September 13, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ballz

Dont worry John – Im white and I hate him so its all good. Anyone who has manners like him doesnt deserve much in life.

September 13, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  28. cwm

today's MUSIC STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
    • JustMe

Yea, when I was young, my parents said the same thing. But every thing changes with time!

September 13, 2010 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
    • RUSH

Except music stopped evolving and now hip-hop is lowered to sampling someone else's music to help them make a song that they couldnt make in the first place. Id be embarassed to clone or sample a riff as is common practice now and use it thru the whole song.
      Musicans today by and large wouldnt know talent if they actually put their minds to it.

September 13, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. mejazzbo

What was that trash West performed. No one is drinking to that mess. Are there people out there who actually pay hard earned money to watch this guy perform. Pitiful...

September 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. tired

I agree with the natural. Spartacus had a lame comment as well.

September 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dee

I too will not watch again if Chelsea hosts again. Think she made enough racist comments tonight?

September 12, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • HVasquezNJ

If you haven't watched Chelsea's show you wouldn't get her humor. It's for people who aren't so guarded and isecure about their ethnicity anyway. And for the record, She digs black men, and that's putting it mildly.

September 13, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Jhine

@ HVasquezNJ- I agree

September 13, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  32. Chelton b

Lady gaga one the most awards of the nite and erbudies jealous she got talent lol... Love her outfits

September 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Carrie

More situation!!!!!!!

September 12, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. dino brown

You tube . . Dinobrown27 rate me . .

September 12, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. babyb

Eminem is the best I don't care what anybody else thinks

September 12, 2010 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. The natural

Why is there always gotta be one loser( john c ) who has to turn something into a race thing get a life pal grow up its 2010 LOSER

September 12, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. BadaBing

And who watches music videos anymore? So 1980-ish of MTV.

September 12, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. BadaBing

Chelsea Handler

September 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. BadaBing

Chelsea Handler needs some better joke writers. Yikes. And who anointed Bieber the next MJ. This kid is annoying little dweeb.

September 12, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shelly

Chelsea Handler was the worst host ever! She made me miss Russell Brand. How she ever got on tv in the first place is a mystery.

September 13, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  40. Patty Biller

Chelsea sickens me. Never watching VMA's again if she is hosting...

September 12, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  41. rockfan

Florence + The Machine are awesome. MTV got at least one thing right.

September 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

I was so happy to see them win for Best Art Direction–but would have rather seen them perform something else.

September 13, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
    • HVasquezNJ

it was my first time seeing/hearing this artist/group and I was blown away. That brought me back to MTV circa 1994-96, good times. They ROCK!

September 13, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  42. John C

Like I said before.........If a white boy had barged up on stage to declare that Beyonce
    should not have won........the guns would have been flying out of all those bling encrusted
    tuxs the brothers were wearing. Total trash and a prime example of a poor role model
    for kids today.

September 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Spartacus

WOW,
    Kanye is the single biggest disgrace in America next to your president.
    Yet somehow, they both still have a job.
    LMFAO.

September 12, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • melva davis

read what i wrote,it pertains to you and your kind.maybe you can't read,but only hate.

September 12, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • tevii

Ha! I can NOT agree more!

September 13, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • tevii

@spartacus

September 13, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • HVasquezNJ

It's people like you who are keeping our country in such a state of disrepair. Haters are always looking for one venue or another to bash. Go find a nice hole to crawl into, then you wont affect anyone with your hate mongering you fool.

September 13, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. Rick

Is MTV still qualified to give out an award for music?

September 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

No. Saying you won a VMA is like saying you won a nickel in the lottery.

September 12, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • chris

I totally agree – it's all very laughable and a huge yawn fest. These aren't talented muscians. The talented ones aren't on MTV and never have been.

September 13, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  45. Ray

He should never have been invited back. Once a Moron always a Moron.

September 12, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • cwm

U R right about that RAY!

September 13, 2010 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
    • HVasquezNJ

Oh c'mon a grow a pair, if the entire industry has let this go, why shouldn't some insignificant hater from noonecares let it go too.
      and here's some knowledge, some of the greatest artists were a**holes at one point or another in their career. You live and learn, holding onto hate is a sickness....

September 13, 2010 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  46. ballz

Hi – i was wondering if you could do me a favor and stfu...either that or diaf, either would suffice, thanks

September 13, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |