Maura Tierney opens up on fighting breast cancer
September 10th, 2010

Maura Tierney opens up on fighting breast cancer

Playing a doctor on "ER" for a decade did little to prepare Maura Tierney for coping with her own real-life health scare: finding a lump on her breast.

"I was so, so scared of going to the doctor," Tierney, 45, admits in the new issue of Parade magazine. "I felt something, and my boyfriend at the time made me go. He said, 'You've got to take care of this,' because I was afraid. That's one thing I will say: Don't be afraid to go to the damn doctor. Just go!"

After being diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009 and backing out of her role in the NBC show "Parenthood," Tierney refused to throw herself a pity party.

"I was so lucky. I had insurance, I found a great team of doctors at UCLA, and I could afford not to work while I was getting treated," she explains. "From the beginning my doctor told me, 'You're going to be okay,' and I chose to believe him. So there was always that in my head."

Still, it turned out that Tierney's cancer was more aggressive than they originally thought – something her pathologist would not even have noticed a decade earlier. "He said they would have patted me on the head and told me, 'You're cured,'" she tells Parade, "and I would have died of breast cancer."

The actress, who will appear on tonight's "Stand Up to Cancer" telecast, underwent surgery to remove the breast tumor and is currently being treated with medication. Now back in fighting form, Tierney will play a prosecutor in ABC's legal drama "The Whole Truth" this fall but says she's learned a valuable lesson from her journey.

"It's a life-changing thing to be in a position of needing help and being so lucky as to get it. And to feel like that's okay," she added. "You can't just take care of everybody else all the time. That's almost as perspective-changing as the illness. For someone like me, that was kind of tough."

1. don't clik here

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful info specifically the ultimate section :) I care for such info much. I used to be looking for this certain information for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

September 11, 2012 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  2. FusionZeus

I just began using Fusion Zeus and I already sense a big difference while working out. Definitely got more intensity and able to push it further in my workouts.

February 24, 2011 at 4:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. Cape Cod Patty

So Happy she'll be back on TV and things are looking up once again–

September 10, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SBGRL

The most important message here is that she had insurance. How many women find a lump and have no way to pay for treatment? We need to make sure everyone in this country have access to medical care.

September 10, 2010 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Wendy

You have access to medical care, even without insurance. The difference is, you will have to pay more for it. There are people that dont have insurance by choice because they cannot afford the premiums. If you can afford cable tv, internet access and a cell phone, you can afford medical insurance. it is all about what you personally are willing to sacrifice. There are those with pre-existing conditions that cannot be insured, but those that are poor, get free health care from the government. So stop playing bleeding heart because my sympathy is saved for those that truly do need it.

September 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • liz

In 2014, everyone will have insurance, or pay a penalty. No one will be turned down because of a preexisting condition. Health care reform will change the world for the better, and millions of women who are uninsured won't have to worry about how they are going to pay for a diagnosis like breast cancer. This will save lives. Ignore the crazies who hate "ObamaCare"–this is the best thing to happen since social security.

September 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • nygirl

Ok – but don't you think someone should be able to get coverage with a pre-existing condition? Or are you from the "please, just die quietly" camp?

September 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |