James Franco: I just play gay
September 10th, 2010

James Franco: I just play gay

Sure he’s played a few gay characters, but don’t get it twisted: James Franco says he’s straight, and if he wasn’t he’d admit it.

“Everyone thinks I’m a stoner, and some people think I’m gay because I’ve played these gay roles,” Franco told The Advocate. "That’s what people think, but it’s not true. I don’t smoke pot. I’m not gay…”

The actor sat down with the publication for an interview appearing in the October issue to discuss his role as iconic gay poet Allen Ginsberg in the soon-to-be-released biopic “Howl.”

Franco said he’s attracted to roles as gay characters because he finds them scarce and more challenging.

“In this history of cinema, there are so many heterosexual love stories,” Franco said. “It’s so hammered, so done. It’s just not that interesting to me. It’s more interesting to me to play roles and relationships that haven’t been portrayed as often.”

Deciding to portray Ginsberg was a more popular idea than one of his other high-profile roles, Franco said.

“You want to know what my agents did try to talk me out of?” he said. “'General Hospital.’ They didn’t think me acting in a soap opera was the greatest idea. But they know that I’ve always wanted to do a movie about the Beats, so no one tried to stop me from playing Allen Ginsberg.”

1. hacky

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. brian

he was in 1 of those snl sketches where everybody in the family is kissing each other or groping.

September 12, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. insatiable

well u couldnt pay me 2 play a gay person at all

September 11, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. flix

lol. i've met him a few times... and if he wasn't high every time... then he's quite the method actor. but whatever, who doesn't smoke pot these days?

September 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. NJ GEMINI

TERRENCE HOWARD...STATED...THAT HE COULD NEVER PLAY...A GAY PERSON OR A FEMALE...IN A MOVIE...BECAUSE...HE SAID:DEEP DOWN YOU HAVE TO FEEL THAT WAY...ABOUT YOURSELF...IN ORDER TO PLAY...THAT KIND OF ROLE...HE ALSO...SAID THAT HE COULD NEVER FELL...THAT WAY ABOUT HIMSELF...SO HE COULD NEVER PLAY THAT TYPE OF ROLE...CHEW ON THAT FOR AWHILE.

September 11, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

If Terrence really said that, then he's an @ss.

September 13, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • LA Gurl

“My dear boy, why don't you try acting?”

Sir Laurence Olivier

(on the set of 'Marathon Man', to Dustin Hoffman, who had announced that he'd gone 3 days without sleep in order to 'become' his character”)

September 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

But that doesn't mean he's not bi. ;)

Haha. But seriously, 'straight', 'gay', 'lesbian', 'bis@xual', etc are just words. A word can't define such a fundamental part of life. S@xual orientation is fluid...so just go with the flow!

September 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dr. Demento

He look like he has a giant spider on his head

September 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. brownie1

Dont you have to really become the person that you "play"???? So Yep HE IS GAY!!!!!! NO ACT thats real !!!

September 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Doug

He'll always have honorary gay status; and, yes, that is a honor.

September 10, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. The_dude

Ok I stopped reading at the "I don't smoke pot" line. Yeah gay boy....sure you don't.

September 10, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • SaintPetersburg

why is that hard to believe? have you seen his schedule? he just completed 3 degrees in 3 years in 3 different schools at the same time, while shooting on a Soap Opera, shooting movies, writing fiction short stories, filming short films, and putting together an art show. When would he have time to smoke weed?

September 10, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • gwenz

lol, you sound like a Republican, closed minded and can't hear the truth.

September 28, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. T

mmhmm, SUUUUUUURE

September 10, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kristi

I love him on General Hospital– he plays physco very well. I think it's time for him to come back again and cause more trouble on GH..

September 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wendy

he is so hot! i am glad he is not gay!

September 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SaintPetersburg

quickly becoming one of the best actors of his generation. He's getting some amazing reviews for 127 hours and getting his performance praised as career-best and a revelation of his talent. Cant wait to see it. Him and Tom Hardy are 2 actors who are going to be huge.

September 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • VEDS

Why does it matter anyway. Live and let live! Does it hurt you in any way ...

September 11, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |