Carey Mulligan: I'm not famous enough for 'Glee'
September 10th, 2010

Carey Mulligan: I'm not famous enough for 'Glee'

Carey Mulligan certainly made critics sit up and take notice of her with “An Education” – the 25-year-old actress was nominated for an Academy Award for her lead role in the 2009 film – but she thinks she still doesn’t have quite the star power yet to be on one of television’s hottest shows.

“I want to be in ‘Glee,’” the actress explained to Vogue magazine for their October issue, “but I’m told I’m not famous enough to be a cameo yet.”

But Mulligan doesn’t appear to be after the glitz and glamour that life as a young Hollywood actress can offer, anyway. She sticks to mass retailers like Urban Outfitters in her day-to-day life coupled with understated jewelry, and she’s also uninterested in trying to meet the industry’s rigid aesthetic demands.

She told her trainer, “‘I don’t want to look like an actress; I want to look like a person.’ Normal people don’t go to the gym six times a week.” Mulligan pointed out to Vogue that when she was at her thinnest, she found she couldn’t perform on the job as well.

“I went down to 112 pounds and realized my brain doesn’t work when I’m that thin, so I can’t do my job,” she said. “That’s why, when I came out here, I never had that whole Hollywood pressure thing. I never said I wanted to be a lead actress; I never said I wanted to be a film actress. This need to trump everyone bewilders me. I’m only 25. I’m not better than anyone. I just want to watch other people and learn to be good.”

Mulligan’s aversion to attention extends to her romantic relationship with her “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” costar Shia LaBeouf as well – the pair avoids appearing on the red carpet together.

“Posing on the red carpet feels like you’re selling something that has nothing to do with you,” she said. “If you do it with someone else, it’s like we’re saying, ‘Oh! We come as a pair! Would you like to buy both of us? We’re available for weddings and Bar Mitzvahs!’ ”
The thing is, she added, she doesn’t want to be “known,” and in fact, is a bit afraid of becoming “a ‘personality.’”

“On a talk show, I feel I should just hold up a sign with the facts on it — and leave. It wouldn’t take more than a minute, and they’d have room for other guests,” she told the magazine. “I want people to not recognize me, to think I’m a different actress, not remember me from what I did previously. If people have all those other pictures and stories associated with you, it’s added [expletive] that means they have to work harder to believe you as a character.”

For the full interview with Mulligan, visit the newly redesigned Vogue.com.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. nono

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Frank

Cool. A talented person who happens to be pretty much a regular person in everyday life. Like Ellen Page. <3 Hopefully, it'll last.

September 10, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Boof

Ms. Mulligan, you were nominated for an Academy Award.......Glee isn't famous enough for YOU!!!!!!

September 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ehmalo01

I liked her as Sally Sparrow in Season 3 of Doctor Who.

September 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Vic

People who go into film or any other stage performance – throwing themselves into the public eye – and then turn around and say they don't want to be famous are lying. It's right up there with running for public office. You KNOW what the end result will be so that's why you do it.

September 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cgood

Take up local theater if you don't want to be famous. Don't do a Vogue interview to tell us you don't like doing interviews. How about not doing the interview in the first place? Hypocritical.

September 10, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. SaintPetersburg

ehhh. Trying too hard to not appear pretentious....only makes you look pretentious. If you really don't care, why do you have to tell us that you don't?

September 10, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. M

It's refreshing to read about an young actress more interested in doing a good job, then being the next "celebrity" trendsetter. I've seen some of the good work she's done in British film and I wish her luck.

September 10, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jackson

I love her just a little bit more than I did five minutes ago. This one has her head on her shoulders. Now *this* is a role model!

September 10, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kermit Roosevelt

A sad commentary. I can see why her name wouldn't merit the curiosity factor of having an actor in an out-of-their-element spotlight, but when trash like Snooki or the Kardashians are famous for less than an iota of the talent or accomplishments this young lady has...

September 10, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |