Rachel Dratch welcomed a son
September 9th, 2010

Rachel Dratch welcomed a son

Congrats are in order for Rachel Dratch: The “Saturday Night Live” alum welcomed a baby boy on August 24 in New York City.

Dratch’s agent confirmed to CNN that “baby and mom are doing great.” The 44-year-old star named her new arrival Eli.

Dratch told PEOPLE in July that she knew the sex of the baby beforehand, although she opted to keep it a "mystery for now" - much like the story behind how she became pregnant.

“Oh my God, everything [about pregnancy has] been surprising.The most surprising thing is that I am pregnant. There’s a whole crazy story there," she said.

“But,” she joked, “that will come out in my book.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. Gail Snail

Congrats to mother & son. May they have a long, happy & healthy life together. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

September 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sag coopersmith

maddawg as long as you are proselytizing...why not go ahead and throw in the fact that Dratsh isn't pretty? I'm really surprised you didn't mention that–you're the arbiter of all that is correct for reproduction!

September 10, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  3. wow

My in-laws are in their 70s and are more active than I am at age 37. They vacation, go out several nights a week, do adventurous things, exercise, and are healthy. 44 is not grandparent age. I had my kids early. My youngest will turn 18 when I am 43. But to each his own. I think she has enough money and common sense to care for a child.

September 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dale

Debbie Downer with a child name Donald Downer?

September 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Angela

Madawg, with all due respect. You are an idiot. 44 is most certainly NOT grandparent age. Dust off your Bio books and look up the reproductive system. If you still don't get it, go to the library and read up on it, or Google it (oooh what is GOOGLE? I'm 44 and elderly?!?!?).

September 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Diana

maddawg that was kind of a silly post. anyone i knew that had kids at 18 was on welfare. stupid teenagers who weren't bright enough to grasp the complexities of birth control. there are benefits to having kids in your 20's and benefits to waiting. i had my twins when i was 26. hubby and i weren't very well off at that time. now my kids are 10 years old and we're doing much better financially. i am glad i had them at the age i did because hubby and i will still be fairly young when the kids move out, and we'll have the money and free time to do what we want. that said, my best friend is just expecting her first child and she is 38. physically i think it's a little harder on her and she'll be older when her kids leave home, but she is also financially stable now. you can't say that someone is going to need a walker at the age of 60. good god, my dad is 71 and he can still do somersaults with my kids. my mom is 66 and she does yoga, and works out every day, and is probably in better shape than you.

September 9, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Julie

I can't believe what ridiculous generalizations some people have as to dictate what age you should have a child as an ADULT. Wow.

September 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. josh

Congrats to her and her one night stand with Kobe Bryant.

September 9, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wog

September 9, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Better Late than Never

How about being happy that one woman has a little boy to love and cherish. There are some really wonderful things in this world, but having a baby is one of the best in the universe. Sure it is hard, but looking back there would have been NO WAY that I would have been ready to have a child at 18. My parents had me when they were 20, and my dad has been married three times since. How does having a child make things better when you are young. Personally these older woman are providing valuable scientific information for the medical community. Forty is not old – especially now a days!

This is coming from someone that had their children at 37,39 and last at 42. Now I am sure I will get a post for polluting the world with my three kids. Just in case we recycle everything and use compost. Congrats to Rachel!!!!!

September 9, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cathy

She indicated in her comments that it was "surprising" she was even pregnant - which implies to me that she may have tried before but was unsuccessful. I've personally known many couples who have tried for years to get pregnant to no avail. It's heartbreaking - and then when that miracle happens - it's amazing. I guess I choose to believe that she really wanted this baby and had planned on a family. Good for her that it finally happened. I'm also going to presume had she not wanted this child, she would have terminated the pregnancy. Also - if you haven't read or heard the news lately – folks are living longer and in better shape. Lastly - what business is it of ours if folks choose to have children later in life - NONE. Congrats Rachel.

September 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mario

Rachel Dratch is hilarious, that baby will have a lot of fun with her. I hope she returns to 30 Rock, she was great.

September 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. John

I wonder if the father is Will Ferrell or Christopher Walken...

Maybe a moussaka dinner and some shinshi-shinshi was involved

The real question is, did Will Ferrell hurt his back?

September 9, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. anonymous

I'm with annoyed. My parents were older and did a better job at raising me than those idiot parents who were younger and tried to be their kids "friends." My parents were hiking with me, camping with me and climbing with me. Never once did I ever see any of the younger parents doing this kind of stuff with their kids. So whateva.

September 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  15. stevie

maddawg – just because you don't have to think before you post something, doesn't mean that you shouldn't, Your life (or at least your self esteem) must not be all that great after all if you have to belittle someone else for bringing a child into the world to make yourself feel good about your own situation.

September 9, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MatureFather

My wife and I started our family when I was 36 after we had schooling and settled into our chosen professions. We feel perfectly comfortable with the decision as it has kept us young and fit and easily able to keep up with the younger parents.

September 9, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. kittybling

Exactly...maddawg is just uneducated and shallow...he had a kid @18?? That means he was a kid and was clueless where he deposited...and was probably miserable when he raised them if he did part of the raising.

September 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MJ

Good for you! Good thing you are not judgemental or anything!

September 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Lisa K

I can't believe the previous post implying it's horribly wrong to give birth over the age of 40. I had my children at 31 and 41. I am now 55 with a 24 year old and a 13 year old AND THEY ARE FINE. My husband is 58 and we are not feeble old people. Maybe this moron has never heard of infertility or doesn't realize not everyone gets married at 18, or the many other millions of reasons to have children at a later age.

September 9, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jinda

God, I hope her book isn't some pregnancy book, or postpartum depression book, or baby food cookbook, or "womens' issues" book...

September 9, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Jay Kay

September 9, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Hey...

...and the father is....

September 9, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  23. kt

she is funny...not so good looking...but funny

September 9, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |