Pilot for 'Dallas' remake in the works
September 9th, 2010

Pilot for 'Dallas' remake in the works

Remember when we lamented that there weren’t many fresh ideas in the lineup of new shows for the fall? Well, it looks like that trend is going to continue.

According to a release from TNT and TBS (which, like CNN, are owned by Time Warner), Cynthia Cidre, the creator and executive producer of the 2007 TV series “Cane,” has created an updated spin on the addictive, long-running series "Dallas" for TNT.

The reboot puts the focus on the descendants of JR and Bobby Ewing, who are butting heads over “the future of the Ewing dynasty” after all these years. According to the release, this familial battle goes down while “the fate of Southfork itself weighs in the balance.”

TNT is also working on a pilot written by "Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" scribe Allan Loeb based on "The Rabbit Factory" by Marshall Karp. The drama trails a widowed detective and his newly-wed partner as they get into some "occasional hijinks." The network is also hammering out a pilot for a show called "Perception," the brainchild of "Star Trek: Voyager" producers that follows an eccentric neuroscientist with "an odd and imaginative" outlook on life that helps him crack some of the federal government's tough cases.

TBS, meanwhile, is focusing on a pilot for "Brain Trust," a show about yet another detective, but one who has found himself on hard times, personally and professionally, after he accidentally brought his partner's career to an end. Things start to look up for the detective when he lucks upon a trio of "hyper-smart geniuses from a private think tank" who help him with a murder case.

Filed under: television

1. The TV Guy

While they are at it, how about a re-boot of DARK SHADOWS. At least it was around long before TRUE BLOOD, THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and the TWILIGHT SERIES and other vampire genres on television today.

July 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. steve

If they make this show a parody of itself it will fail. The reunion episodes for DALLAS were horrible. Treat this as a serious drama like it was in the early 80's and it has a chance. If they are going to make this a comedy and make fun of the show forget it. Make it a serious drama – NOT a parody. For instance one of the reunion episodes made fun of a the infamous Bobby shower scene.

June 6, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Rat

I dont think Ray Cribbs was into men...only male bovine. He like to grease up the bulls and ride them. They could never get him to leave the set on time and he was always in the pastures way into the night.

February 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jack Cornhole

In the pic it appears JR is about to give Bobby yet another good screwing in the butt.

February 9, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. L D Pavia

I can't think of a more fitting time than now for the nastiness and suspense of the Ewing Clan to return!
    Considering the pendulum of civility reversed around 1980 and has never swung back, I say, "Go For It!"
    I used to look forward to watching "Dallas" back in the day...

February 9, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. badblad

That idiot Barnes has to be in it!

February 9, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ron Ingram

If my mom were still alive she would be jumping for joy. My only question is will this outstanding show finally deal with racial reality. I can say as much as my mom watched, I never saw any minorities on the show. Being a young child I thought there were no minorities in Texas.

February 9, 2011 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
    • mitch

Don't you remember Theresa and Raul? They worked on Southfork all those years....And what about Angelica Nero? She was Greek I believe. I am being facetious of course. It is true of many series of that era, that didn't feature minorites in their principal line-ups..

February 9, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mister E.

How befitting!!!! a show about greed being pulled out of the garbage can and fed to the public because TV land won't pay for good writers and actors. And mysteriously, my cable bill rises as the quality falls. If this trend continues, I expect to see a revival of "Lassie", and longer commercials in the near future. After all, you don't have to pay a dog very much to get them to bark, and it seems that commercials have become as equally entertaining as the shows they sponsor..........all of which amounts to high priced background noise $$$.

Lassie.....
    bark! bark! bark!......bark! bark!
    Timmy......
    what's that you say Lassie? TV land executives have thrown all the script writers into the well and are using the extra money to give their wives boob jobs, and their husbands hair implants?

February 9, 2011 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Dietra

I'm excited about the remake! Dallas is one of my all time favorite shows along with Dynasty.(hint-hint)
    I would love to see a the show return!!

February 9, 2011 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  10. Linda

I would love to see that show come back now with the orginal cast though. No one could ever replace Jr ewing or bobby or sue ellen . To be completely honest here no one from that show could be replaced. That was a perfect cast as it was in my eyes. But that's just my opinion here. If that show comes back on with the orginal cast I will watch it all the time. Because I was and still am a big fan of that show and cast.

September 11, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Carrow

Wow lets give it a chance first. Most cable TV shows are good. They have more freedom to do and say very bad things :-)

I think it can be even nastier than the original :-)

I for one will be looking forward to seeing this and I hope its good! Although the original is a classic and can't be beat.

September 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. R.J.

I'm with you, Christan! I just finished watching the final episode and can't wait to see what they'll do with a sequel.

September 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Christan

Love this show and can not wait to see what they will come up with.

September 9, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Queenie

Won't work !

September 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sheppard

I can't image who could ever replace Larry Hagman.............

September 9, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tish

It didn't say anyone was replacing Larry Hagman. This is mainly going to be about the offspring, but he will be on here as well. No one is replacing him.

February 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  16. boocat

Doesn't Hollywood have any original ideas anymore? I guarantee this will bomb...

September 9, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail Snail

I believe you, boocat.
      I, personally, love the shows on USA Network – Psych, Royal Pains, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight. All wonderful, inventive programs with interesting characters.

September 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • LyRicsRme1

I'm with you boocat; I don't know what happened to the creativity in Hollywood, but I'm sooo over the remakes. Like Gail, I watch USA, Investigation Discovery Channel, NetGeo, etc. which (to me) make for much better television.

February 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  17. taylynn

Talk about THROWBACK!! Descendants of JR. and Bobby going at it in 2010. JR was so cool back in the day he wore his shades on a rainy day! LOL. This will be interesting!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbd6paO0C2I&w=640&h=390]