'Hellcats' premiere misses the mark
September 9th, 2010

'Hellcats' premiere misses the mark

If you thought “Hellcats” would try to emulate “Glee,” you were right. If you thought it was possible, you were wrong.

From the very beginning of “Hellcats,” we learn that lead character Marti Perkins is different. She rides her bike everywhere and could never afford to attend a school like Lancer without a scholarship. She’s from Memphis - so a townie by definition - and she hopes a law degree can take her far, far away from the city and her deadbeat mother.

But Marti’s scholarship is taken away, and she has one week to find a new way to pay for school.

So she tries out for the Hellcats, Lancer’s premier cheerleading squad, to secure an athletic scholarship - even though she thinks cheerleaders are “football groupies” and doesn’t view it as a sport.

At the tryout, we see that Marti actually has moves. No, she can’t follow the routine, and no, she won’t wear short-shorts like the rest of the hopefuls, but girl’s got game. And great abs.

She makes the squad and then finds out that the Hellcats have to place in nationals or else the program gets cut. Sounds similar to a certain hit Fox show, doesn't it?

At the first Hellcats practice, Marti takes the lead. Coach Vanessa tells the squad to come up with a new routine, and have some fun with it.

For “improvising,” the Hellcats seem to have all of the same moves. Either they’re all psychic or can choreograph a new routine within minutes.

At the glorious end, the crowd stands and cheers. Because cheer practices always attract large audiences.

There’s already some jealousy forming around Marti. Alice, an injured flyer on the squad, doesn’t like that her ex-boyfriend, Lewis, has taken a liking to her. And Dan, Marti’s townie friend, doesn’t want her to change too much now that she’s hanging with a new crowd.

The plot is obvious and the characters are formulaic, but the cheer routines are fun to watch. However, there’s just something about cheerleading that isn’t as heartwarming as a high school glee club. Are you going to keep watching "Hellcats"?

1. Jasmine Nguyen

Ashley Tisdale is one of my most favorite actresses, and she's also the reason I'm watching this film. It's kind of formulaic and cliche Glee sometimes, but they're still different overall

January 4, 2011 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Michele

Having had daughters who cheered, I always watch anything that has to do with the cheer realm. Admittedly, I was interested to see what Ashley Tisdale's character was going to be like coming from her previous roles. While, as posted, it's unbelievable how the squad picks up a new routine in a fraction of the time it would normally take, the final product is usually pretty good.

The show is also becoming multi-faceted. There is a lot of character background coming into play; which helps to make the main characters more credible considering nobody seems to have much respect for a cheerleader (as in real life).

While I am a total GLEEK, I make sure I never miss an episode of HELLCATS ... we will see how it goes. :)

November 7, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Chuck

Like this better than Glee. WIll definitely keep watching as it is fun without any overwhelming "theme" that I have to appreciate.

September 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Arleen

Victor, your right. I watch religiously smallville and supernatural. Its a shame that 2 of the few good shows on the cw are saying bye bye. Gossip Girl and 90210 are becoming crappy. I dont even like melrose place or one tree hill. I am hoping that the vamp diaries do good this season!

September 10, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Victor

CW just isn't cutting it as a Network. The only really good shows it has left are Smallville and Supernatural, and those two are on their way out and weren't even created for CW to begin with.

Unless Nikita and The Vampire Diaries kick some major butt this season this will probably be the last season I ever spend watching CW shows.

September 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SueB

If you loved Bring it On, you'll like this. I like the lead character, she's fresh and really pretty. Yes, check your brain at the door, it's been done, but it is enjoyable. Ashley Tisdale's character seems to be dumb as a stump. But I am looking forward to the wacky behaviour of Marti's mom next episode. I'll keep watching.

September 9, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Vivi

Entertaining but it lacked something. The dialogues sometimes seem fake (bad acting maybe :s). Let's see if it gets better.

September 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ronnie

You understood it all. Too much clichés & uncomparable to Glee, maybe if Ben Browder had kept Red Raymond's part i'd probably keep watching but now, i certainly found nothing new about this show. Deja-vu.

September 9, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rastas

Cute chicks in cheerleader outfits. What's not to like?

September 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Carol

I'll keep watching – thought it was great, entertaining.

September 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lil M

I'm definitely going to keep watching... I loved the show. Particularly, I thought Ashley Tisdale was hilarious as Savannah. I also liked the chemistry between the Hellcats coach and her ex, Red Raymond. I can see where there are similarities to Glee, but these are two completely different shows in my opinion. By the way, it's Lewis ;)

September 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |