Clint Eastwood passed on Superman, Bond roles
September 9th, 2010

Clint Eastwood passed on Superman, Bond roles

The name’s Eastwood, Clint Eastwood.

Okay, so that isn’t the actual tag line for the legendary James Bond films, but Clint Eastwood was once a candidate to play 007 and Superman before turning both roles down.

The Oscar-winning actor and filmmaker revealed in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that he was approached about filling the shoes of both characters back in the 1970s. Known for his role in "Dirty Harry" and a penchant for taking on gritty Westerns, Eastwood was a star, but he just wasn’t sure about rocking tights and a cape.

“I can remember – and this was many years ago – when [Warner Bros. President] Frank Wells came to me about doing Superman,” the 80-year-old actor said. “I was like, ‘Superman? Nah, nah, that’s not for me.’ Not that there’s anything wrong with it. It’s for somebody, but not me.”

According to Eastwood, a couple years before that, he was given the opportunity to replace Sean Connery as James Bond. While the role was along the lines of his previous work in terms of its action, Eastwood still didn’t see himself as the right man for the job.

“I was also offered pretty good money to do James Bond,” he admitted. “My lawyer represented the Broccolis, who produce the Bond franchise, and he came and said, ‘They would love to have you.’ But to me, well, that was somebody else’s gig. That’s Sean’s deal. It didn’t feel right for me to be doing it.”

"Superman" would later make a star out of Christopher Reeve, and while some may debate whether or not Connery was the greatest Bond ever, perhaps both guys can thank Eastwood for saying, “Nah.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Clint Eastwood • movies

1. hassy

Watch Online movies free

October 10, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Enrico

Eastwood was smart enough not to accept to play in a 007 movie. Such role would probably not have been the best fit for him. This said, he has been a fantastic actor throughout his career!

September 24, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. JTBoswell

Hey Carl Ramlogan, you are an idiot. "Getto"? Nicely spelled. Learn to punctuate. When you wrote "the civil war the whites who really did they really fought for," I was inspired by your stupidity. Try thinking; it really helps.

September 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Chris M

"...and while some may debate whether or not Connery was the greatest Bond ever, perhaps both guys can thank Eastwood for saying, “Nah.”"

Since you said earlier in the article that Clint Eastwood was offered the chance to REPLACE Sean Connery, I don't think Connery has any reason to thank Eastwood for almost taking his role. Also, Reeves is dead, so he won't need to thank any one.

September 13, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Norma

Good article, and I am a great fan of Clint Eastwood. I agree with him, I couldn't imagine him doing Superman or 007.
    My only problem with this article: VJ you have made a big mistake.
    Are you implying that Christopher Reeve and Sean Connery both sould thank Clint Eastwood because he refused to play those roles? I think you are right, but, I am sorry to say that Christopher Reeve is dead.

September 12, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank

Those war movies he made weren't that good, neither were the snippy little comments he made to Spike Lee (who's a d@uchebag, but still).

September 11, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Jimbolo

His comments were fair enough. Spike Lee said that Eastwood's Flags of our fathers was too white. He also said, years before, of Eastwood directing Bird:

"I saw Bird, Clint Eastwood's portrait of Charlie Parker, in the fall of '88. Bertrand Tavernier's 'Round Midnight, which was released two years before, was a slightly better film, if only because of saxophonist Dexter Gordon's performance. Both were narrow depictions of the lives of black musicians, as seen through the eyes of white screenwriters and white directors."

You can't win with a guy like that. You tell a story, he asks where are the black people. You do a story about a black saxophonist, he says you didn't do it right.

September 13, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • carl ramlogan

you know what people who cry racist remarks they prove they are the real racist,flags of our father was a very good movie,clint acted with a lot of black actor why do we have to see race in everything,the civil war the whites who really did they really fought for,or the whites did't they voted for a the first black president Obama,common people free your self from that getto way of thinking.by the the way I'am not white I'am i a racist.

September 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Hank

He is one tough SOB and he has my vote for greatest movie hardass there ever has been...

September 10, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Westward

Clint Eastwood makes beautiful music - he has many talents have loved his work for years

September 10, 2010 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
  9. JMC

I think Clint Eastwood is a great actor and director....I've seen all his movies and use to watch him in Rawhide :-O Just told my age :-) I'm just sad that all my favorite actors are getting too old to play the parts I loved them in (e.g. Clint, Harrison Ford, Michael Douglas, Sean Connery, etc.). Well, it was good while it lasted!!

September 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Norma

JMC: please, don't put Sean Connery or Harrison Ford in the same category as Clint Eastwood. Clint it's a great talent as an actor, director, producer, and musician. In addition, he has been always involved in social issues, a very bright man.

September 12, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. amanda

i think clint made a good choice he's a kick ass actor and director :)

September 9, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. sheppard

and we are so thankful! Glad you stuck with what worked for you, Clint.

September 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |