Willow Smith drops new single 'Whip My Hair'
September 8th, 2010

Willow Smith drops new single 'Whip My Hair'

At the tender age of 9, Willow Smith is wasting no time in becoming the next star to branch out from her family tree.

The daughter of Will and Jada Pinkett Smith - already a noted young fashionista - is pursuing a career in music and has the Internet abuzz with her first single, “Whip My Hair.”

The Rihanna-esque track is a drum-heavy ode to just letting it loose. Armed with lyrics like “I whip my hair back and forth…don’t let my haters take me off my grind,” it’s no wonder that the pint-sized diva in the making has quickly gained a celebrity following from some of the big kids.

After hearing “Whip My Hair,” Solange Knowles (who knows a thing or two about having über-famous relatives) expressed her admiration via Twitter.

“WIllow Smith make me wanna whip some haiiirrr in this house. Ummm kill em girl. Kill em!,” Knowles said.

Somewhere mom and dad are smiling. Take a listen to Willow's track here.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. kenny

im not a hater also but this song was soo bad i can listen to justin beiber

April 26, 2011 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lucretia Jones

I am sorry but I am not a hater but this sond turned me into one. You know I want to support the sister but D&*% this song make me wanna kill the sister. Willow you need to go back to yo kiddie dance class and sleepovers. Hang out and sing there boo and keep the rest of us sane. After working 12 hours and I am driving home to having to take care of my 3 kids and I hear this crazy stuff I want to kill somebody! Please, please, puhleeeeeeeze no more WILLOW....you hear me? NO MORE!!!!!!!

March 28, 2011 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. eric

that song is just horrible. its not even music. a monkey could do better. ( i whip my hair) yeah great lyrics. (i wipe my butt ) that would be better.

February 19, 2011 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. eric

the worst no talent video ever. consists of a kid flipping around her hair saying i can whip my hair. i am surprised any network would even show such low class no talent garbage. even the 1970s gong show would have banned an act that bad. i tried to watch the whole performance, after realizing the only lyrics whas i can whip my hair, over and over i just couldnt take it. i must say that was the worst act i have ever seen. only positive thing she did was make the no talent justin bieber actually look like he has a small amount of talent.

February 17, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Adam

She looks like a young Lady Gaga with a giraffe neck.

February 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  6. EEA FAIL!

After listening to this song..well, AWFUL! I don't know what is more repulsive the fact that she is 9 years old, or that the song has no talent involved AT ALL! First of all "Whipping your hair" or the coreography used in this music video is of no skill all it requires is that you have hair. Singing (which with help she is still awful and squeeky) Is fixed by all the technology and such. Without the audio filters I think I would have to dig into my ears with a fork to avoid hearing this song. The theme in this video is plain weird it has no meaning or relativity to the phrase "Whip my hair". The focus and unfocus(Blurry to unblurry) just makes you resent the video more. The clothing and accessories that Willow wears on downright freaky. These items pull attention from the music to the girl making the viewers think "What is she wearing?". These are several things I can name off the top of my head and for everyone's information this comment was written by a 12 year old.

February 1, 2011 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. brandon

baby

November 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. brandon

girl willow smith my name is brandon i love you do you love me

November 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. CalNation10

Using my iPad so typing isn't always accurate. PLY is ONLY. YOU OUT is YOU PUT.

October 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CaliNation2010

I agree with the majority, this song sucks. Its annoying and I really hope this doesn't make it big on the airwaves or else I'll have to shoot my car radio. Again, like most people are saying, she's ply getting known because her parents are famous so media kisses ass to the Smith-born little girl. I could care less how old she is, like a previous person who commented, IT'S FAIR GAME in the music industry.you out your music out there, you're subject to criticism. I highly doubt she's that talented in singing, especially with a song like this. Live, she'll probably bomb. Overall, HATE the song, could care less about celebrity families becoming more and more famous, and REALLY REALLY hope this song never lands #1 on the Billboard charts. Willow Smith needs to go get an education and then if she wants to go into showbiz, try it out later in life, instead of using her parents' star power to get attention. Willow, YOUR SONG SUCKS!

October 26, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kevin

1. I don't care how old she is, Once your out there, Your fair game.
    2. So what if some of us have the time to sit here and diss little kids, Most of you have the time to sit here, Read our comments, & Then take the time to come up with/type something to diss us.
    3. She sucks, I bet live she sounds like crap, Its all the "Studio Magic".
    4. Her dad is a legend though, So she'll probably, "Sadly", Make it big.

P.S. You people really like this, All it is is an annoyinig ass voice going, I WHIP MY HAIR BACK & FORTH, For f's sake people, Is this what music has come to?? You people need music appreciation class.

October 25, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. keiora

yhu are very good i like your sing whip my hair lol hahaha wilow smith rock

October 20, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dmone'

Wow, i tried this song out because I love Will Smith as an actor and as a rapper when I was younger, but this song is. . .hmm what is a nice way to say this ? Well it sounds like something a 9 yr old does with their friends at a sleep over or something. If her parents were not famous she probably would not have gotten any airtime for this, but who knows in a few years maybe she will have perfected her "talent" like her brother.

October 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Gail Snail

It's not what you know but who you know and how they can help you. Wealthy parents with friends in high places.

September 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ebullience

LOL...hater's will hate.. yes her parents are Will and Jada and she has grown up in the spot light and may have easier access getting her foot in the door BUT, ALL THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS EVERYONE IS THROWING AT THIS 9YR CHILD isn't going to change the fact that she has more money than you and is living a better life than most of you!! hahaha Didn't you know HATERS are motivation??? "I whip my hair back and forth" GET IT WILLOW!!!

September 10, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • yonnie

Yes, because having rich parents gives you free reign to do whatever you want without ridicule. Shut up. Garbage music like this will continue to be popular due to power and connections, while real, truly talented starving artist musicians will get ignored because they arent related to Will Smith.

September 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theo

....hmmm lets see Ebullience so you whip your hair back and forth.....hmmmm.....ya sound a few bucks short of normal....

March 28, 2011 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Selena Gomez

I havent heard this song yet is it really that ugly n sukyish!?!?! I ma c it on Utube today i think that she IS too young for that!! he brother is really good at both acting n rapping or singing but her IDK yet!?!?!?

September 10, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  17. SKY

I MEAN PRETTY GIRL.

September 10, 2010 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  18. SKY

WHAT A PETTY GIRL. BUT THE HAIR STYLE, NOT GOOD..AND FOR THIS I BLAME THE PARENTS.
    9 YEARS OLD....

September 10, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  19. Rastas

She'll grow up to be as untalented as her parents and her brother. Unfortunately, the masses will continue to kiss her a$$, just like they with her her family.

September 9, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dawn

More than it must pay to have famous parents, it must really suck to be such a hater that you have to hate on a 9 year old kid. So it's not the best song ever. So what? At least she's out there doing something, and not sitting behind a computer anonymously slandering kids. And really, all your hate does ultimately is fuel her rising star.

Is your own life really that miserable?

September 9, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
    • your dumb

You reply to hateful comments with subjective details describing one's personal life, yet you have no proof of there situation therefore you are bringing these words into conversations to down the person who is proving a point that is obviously correct. You are thinking you made an outstanding comment yet you let everyone on this site that reads this comment know how pathetic you are by leaving a comment regarding someone's opinion. The person leaving the comment comes here to leave comments about the reading not about others comments. Please leave and go somewhere for children.

February 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Carrie

From the picture I thought she was in her teens but she's only 9! Why are her parents letting her loose like this at such a young age?

September 9, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. Angela

I gave her track a shot since her brother is a legitimately good actor, but oh Willow. No.

September 9, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  23. Joan Durtz

It pays to have rich parents. They can get your crappy song out there. This is garbage. I would be more impressed if she was entering med school at 9.

September 9, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  24. Court

She looks just like her dad

September 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. B-Dog

Better than Taylor Swift lol

September 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. bbnx

#1 – The song sucks. The ONLY reason she is getting any coverage is due to her rents.
    #2 – Who in the heck dressed that kid? She looks stupid, even for a 9 year old!!

September 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Flower

GO FOR IT , WILLOW !!!!!!

September 8, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Carol

OMG! I just heard that song (I followed the link). It's soooo autotoned and awful. And what the heck is she wearing on her feet??? Ugh. Sorry, nice try. But please keep practicing and taking license, you'll get better.

September 8, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • jkt803

Its LESSONS Carol.....she sounds FINE...and its a pretty catchy tune...I'd much rather see an adult whipping hair back and forth shes not old enough for the bangin choreography that could accompany this song but its cool.....so yeah... get your nose back in those BOOKS before you try to stomp out some young kids dreams.....I bet you'd sound like a dead cat if you tried to lay a track so sit the fk down! :)

September 8, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Theo

I agree with you Carol...ok so you made a word error...those who know music see the obvious lack of talent in Willow Smith.....maybe with practice...hmmmm....doubt it as you usually have it or ya don't and Willow don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. me

It's kids like this that grow up expecting everyone to kiss there ass. Why?....because everyone has since the day they were born.

September 8, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |