How much Twitter server space goes to Bieber?
September 8th, 2010

How much Twitter server space goes to Bieber?

With Justin Bieber's millions of followers and consistent Twitter popularity, just how much space does Bieber Fever use up on the social networking site?

According to recent reports, the teen idol and his multitude of Beliebers might take up three percent of Twitter's resources.

"At any moment, Justin Bieber uses 3% of our infrastructure. Racks of servers are dedicated to him," a Twitter employee reportedly told web designer/blogger Dustin Curtis, according to a tweet posted by Curtis on September 6.

While Twitter would not confirm the server-space figure, a rep did tell digital media site Mashable that "everything around and about Justin Bieber is consistently popular on Twitter."

For his part, Curtis says it makes complete sense that the 16-year-old singer and his dedicated fans - including Kanye West, who tweeted about his obsession with Bieber's "Runaway Love" and gushed about wanting to collaborate with him - would have their own dedicated resources.

"Every time Bieber tweets, his messages have to be delivered to more than five million people who then endlessly retweet it," Curtis explained to Mashable. "Apparently, his account receives more than 60 @-replies per second for a while after he tweets, which is something Twitter wasn't originally designed to handle."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music • The Bieb

1. Stevie the K

Still waiting for someone to prove that this 'interest' will ever be monetized. SOMEONE's paying for that 3%... and the other 97% as well. Someone's going to end up holding the bag on this – hopefully not the public.

October 13, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. joe

That chick has terrible hair.

September 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. olivia

its a shame u had such bad music when u were younger

September 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Drew

No Olivia, you and your generation simply don't understand. Sad, because you never will.

That's all folks, I need to get back to my life.

September 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. olivia

drew u r a HATER!!!!

September 9, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. olivia

bruno mars is still the best singer out there and u cant come anywhere close to his looks, talents, and knowledge so shut up.

September 9, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  7. kh

It's sad to read so much hate for a 16 year old kid, yet so much more positive posts about Lady Gaga and other child-like grown ups.

September 9, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Drew

I don't hate him, I just hate the fact that he and others like him are screwing up music as a whole. Do you think he sounds like he does in his songs live? Also, Lady Gaga was better as a normal person than as she is today. Leave children alone.

September 9, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. james

If it turns out this kid can act...get use to seeing him in sitcoms or movies for quite a while.

September 9, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. Drew

Great, now it's become a forum for perverts.

September 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Michael S

I sigh for my generation.

September 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bingomaringo

this proves it- the end is coming

September 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. PROtag

I'm a gay little boy that likes to start internet drama. I LIKE UNICORNS AND CUPYCAKESSSS. Durhurhur. I'm sooh smart.

September 8, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

First of all, don't say gay to mean stupid. That's just immature. Second of all, I am not gay or stupid I am simply trying to get a point across to those who don't understand. The quality of music is going downhill these days. Those who cannot understand this are the real losers in this debate.

Why don't you listen to someone who actually has talent, and wasn't a youtube creation. The Grateful Dead would be a good choice.

September 8, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • bingomaringo

You said it PROtag- every one of these people is undressing him in their mind, with his little white undershirt, and sweet little peach fuzz... call it what you will, but America is obsessed with this kind of kiddie "stuff." Feed the sickness, CNN

September 8, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. gabby

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 8, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

........of what? Pre-pubescence? Millions of eight-year-old girls devoting their future kids to me? What could I possibly be jealous of in his life? I honestly couldn't care if a piano fell on him tomorrow. I'm talking about how the quality of music in this country is degrading (much like everything else). I couldn't care less about this youtube creation. I just want music to return to being good music from singers who had natural talent, not created talent.

September 8, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bingomaringo

Drew, don't get defensive. He has $ and fans worship me. Heck, I wish I had a zillion little girls after me, and I could hit the high notes, if you know what I mean

September 8, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. olivia

anyway he dosent rap at all

September 8, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Fine, he doesn't rap. Still, I think Ebonics is dumb and should disappear. Everyone who speaks in Ebonics sounds dumb, and it just doesn't help them if they're trying to sound intelligent.

September 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. gabby

yeah especially his new song grenade is super awesome this is by bruno mars

September 8, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Drew

Olivia: Stop listening to Rap, ebonics.

Dustin: Thank you. You'd better have a lot to talk about if you don't want to hear today's music!!!

smccuen: I couldn't care less.

September 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. smccuen

well at least those with nothing better to do or think about will be the "first to know" when this child turns to drugs to cope with this undeserved attention

September 8, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Drew

For the love of god what happened to GOOD MUSIC, people?!. I mean honestly, is there anyone out there today who doesn't use auto-tuning to make their voice sound better than it really is? What happened to singers who could actually SING their own SONGS the way they sound on the CD!!! Justin Bieber, Myley Cyrus and the like make me want to PUKE BLOOD because they're so manufactured. WAKE UP PEOPLE. Go listen to a record (if you even know what that is) that your parents own of a REAL BAND like the Beatles, or the Zombies and demand that type of quality and talent from your musicians of today. Get them off their auto-tune addiction and let them sing with their own voices to hear either how good or how bad they really sound.

And for all you little Justin Bieber fans, go to HELL!!!

September 8, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Drew

Get them off auto-tuning so you can weed out the ones who CAN'T sing from the ones who CAN!!!!

September 8, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • olivia

u know what if ya want to listen to good music listen to bruno mars that is goos music

September 8, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dustin

You sir deserve a million dollars. When my wife turns on this so called " today's best hits" junk I turn the radio off on her and make her talk to me instead. Lol

September 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. El Jefe

All of you are moon-rocket, ultra-turbo ghey...

September 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Hugh

Jeffy Jeff...Yes, That was the point I was trying to convey. I just didn't think people would get so uptight about a 14 year old boy or care so much about what he is doing OUTSIDE OF WHAT HE IS KNOWN FOR! THAT IS NOT BEING A "FAN", THAT IS BEING INFATUATED WITH A CHILD!

September 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Indigo

That is almost an unholy looking image of him with a distorted face and hollow eye sockets. Someone at cnn seems to not care for him much.

September 8, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  22. hahaha

*prays for Justin's voice to change*

September 8, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jeff S

I still find it hard to believe that people are still using Twitter. I didn't think there were so many people who's lives revolved around celebrities. It makes me sad for them. Seriously, you go to a website, or get updates sent to your cell phone of what some celebrity has to say at any given moment? Losers.

September 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dustin

Agree, it's very sad that so many people care about that crap. Guess it just shows you how cool Twitter is this loser, man gaga and who knows what else. *cough* losers *cough*

September 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  24. thehenderson

I don't know about you all, but I've got Beiber fever!

September 8, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. s

Someone take this kid away please! I am tired of hearing that name.

September 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Hugh

WHO CARES?

September 8, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
    • PROtag

appearantly 3% of twitter. How much response do you get to your twitter posts, haha you loser.

September 8, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

I'm sure he read that already. I think the point is that "3% of Twitter" actually spends a portion of their brain caring that Justin Bieber just brushed his hair, or that Justin Bieber ate toast for breakfast, or that Justin Bieber was planning on taking a nap. "Who cares" in this case is a way to point out that, if you care, there is something seriously wrong with you.

September 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • PROtag

@Jeffy Jeff... i think your being a little to literal. Hugh is saying he doesnt care about JB and probably doesnt think anyone should care about him. I'm saying, obviously a lot of people lke JB, and a lot more than care about Hugh. You'll make a great parent someday.

September 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hugh

Well Protag, the sad part to me is that you somehow seem to think one's self worth is connected to the response you get from your twitter posts!?! And in that case, I'm sure you are one of those people that has the nerve to think that the world really cares about what you have to post on twitter by posting something every 5 seconds. I assume you are "following" Justin Beiber on Twitter. Based upon your snide remark to me, I must have hit a nerve! HA ha HA ha! It's okay... its normal to want to know what a 14 year old boy is doing all hours of the day! (um...no)

September 8, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • PROtag

neiner neiner your a weiner, so noble in your posts. "I dont care about JB, thus I am king of the world, bow to me all" You probably dont even use 'the twitter' and are so out of touch with pop culture I'm confused why you are not here and on HP. loserx2

September 8, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • PROtag

plus, I'm sure you were cheering for David Cassidy when a kid, humming along to the songs and amazed that your parents just bought a new COLOR TV!!!!

September 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

@PROtag Your immaturity and foolishness are without a doubt obvious. I'm not sure which is more pathetic. That somebody cared to cite these ridiculous stats or that 3% of the population is simply braindead. I'll put you into the 2nd grouping, you can deny it but your comments reveal the ultimate truth. The problem with stupid people is they take great tools like Twitter and use them in stupid ways, like following the details of a child. If only Twitter would spin off a subsidiary called stupidTwitter.com so people like yourself and the remaining 3% could play in your virtual sandboxes.

September 8, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • PROtag

@Steve, the market drives the truth. Your dumb ideas obviously cant turn a profit. I doubt JB enjoys your branch of top ramen.

signed, PROtagonist. Haha, you've been served.

September 8, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • cekubick90

If he makes one more album I will completely loose total faith in our already struggling music industry. Absolutely pitiful to say the least. Have you ever heard of Zeppelin kid? Try it.

September 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • You poor kids of this generation

The kids of this generation have this little twit, can "tweet" til they cant stay awake any longer, text til their parents are ready to snap their necks, and listen to Gaga...Im a bit older and have my health and Im in good shape...more than can be said about the majority of the kids these days. Enjoy your talentless vacuum of a life while youre A1C gets over 7 by age 20.
      Hopefully PROtag keeps texting...

September 9, 2010 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
    • nathalie

Someone please trap this kid in a trannie pregnancy scandal.

September 9, 2010 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Rin

how come i'm not into this bieber trend? i'm sooooooo outdated.. he's just 16 years old and yet he's that popular? hope he's being a good influence to fans ^__^ peace from Philippines..

November 7, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |