Actor Glenn Shadix dies at 58
September 8th, 2010

Actor Glenn Shadix dies at 58

Glenn Shadix, an actor who is perhaps best known for playing Otho in the 1988 film “Beetle Juice,” has passed away at the age of 58.

The Alabama native died Tuesday morning in his Birmingham condo, a family member told The Birmingham News.

“He was having mobility problems, and he was in a wheelchair,” his sister said, adding that Shadix appeared to have hit his head after a fall.

Shadix - who has been in a number of films and television shows - worked with Tim Burton more than once, supplying the voice of the Mayor in Burton’s 1993 work “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” and also appearing in the filmmaker’s 2001 movie, “Planet of the Apes.”

According to The Birmingham News, Shadix studied theater at a local college in the mid-1970s before making the move to New York and then Los Angeles. He returned to his southern roots about three years ago after almost 30 years in the business to be closer to his family and to write, his sister told the paper.

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. BoneyQueenOfNowhere

Sorry to say somthing again, but to the Trolls here, just keep up your trolling. Everyone else, just ignore them. Trolls are just people who want attention.

Again, he will be missed. I think I will play a song for him later.

(As pointless as it is:)
    This little 22 year old girl loves ya, Mr. Shadix. Thank you for all the laughs and infatuations over the years, sir.

September 14, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. BoneyQueenOfNowhere

He was an excellent actor, one of my favorites, in fact. I always found him attractive. He will be missed, and I will always remember him as Otho Fenlock and The Mayor of Halloween Town.

September 14, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank

That's sad. He was pretty young. RIP, Glenn. Best wishes to the family.

September 10, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Glenn'sfamily

Glenn was actually smaller than he was in Beetlejuice, he had lost over 100lbs from his pre-surgery weight. Glenn was never a small man and the "fat" references are misplaced and cruel. He was one of the kindest souls you could imagine and will be deeply missed by his family. The public sees the character actor but we see the person who was genuine and perfectly happy being with his family and friends. Glenn was nursing a bad ankle that had not completely healed from a previous surgery and needed a wheelchair to get around sometimes. Glenn was very busy and had many plans for 2011 as listed on his website glennshadix.com. RIP Glenn, the public may soon forget but we never will...

September 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • H8RH8R

Glenn'sfamily,
      I am so sorry for your loss. I am sorry for the people who are using this article as a platform for hating fat people. Personally, I think he was very, very attractive. I am a gay man in my mid-thirties. I was young when I saw Beetlejuice, but I sure had my eyes glued on him the whole time I was watching..! Too bad he's been taken from this world. He seems like he had a lot of love to offer to many...

September 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Cammioh

RIP, Nightmare B4 X-Mas Mayor!

September 9, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. tinyprof

He was also the building manager on Seinfeld (with his Latino partner Manny) and he was in The Paper Chase with John Houseman as well.

September 9, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel

posting to see how long a post takes

September 9, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ed

RIP, Associate Bob!

September 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sockpuppet

um Why are people addressing him directly? Saying "I will miss him, he was good" is one thing, but talking to him as though he's around is strange. He's dead. If he's in heaven, he certainly isn't reading the comments on a crappy CNN article
    BTW I loved you in Beetlejuice, dude.

September 9, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. havoc

I wonder if he got his Handbook for the Recently Deceased?

RIP Otho...

September 9, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A Christian

I wished more people would give Jesus this kind of praise. Shadix was an actor in some films. Jesus is our Lord and Savior. Jesus deserves more praise than anyone ever and how many of you that are reading this post has prayed today? May God bless you all.

September 9, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. kormallain

Sad news, Great performer that will be missed.

September 9, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. fan

enhance your calm

September 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bobby G

RIP Mr. Shadix. If there had been fool play invovled the creepy dud in the background would be a "person-of-intrest."

September 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • H8R H8R

Fortunately, there was no fool play, dud.
      That dud was most likely his lover at the time.
      Speaking of fool, your spelling smells fool. Dud.

September 10, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. wuf

he finally gets his own copy of 'the handbook for the recently deceased' With sympathy to his relatives, Rest in peace Otho!

September 9, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  16. Suz

Hope he's movin' and groovin' to Harry Belafonte along with BJ & the gang. :)

RIP, dude.

September 9, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  17. DukeMantee

Very sad...too young. Thanks for the laughs!

September 9, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. ML

Luved the movie and he was good.

September 9, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  19. Buster Bloodvessel

Most actors live and work in obscurity. At least he had a memorable role in a semi-classic movie.

September 9, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  20. Kevin

Let's just hope he's rubbin' noses with Jesus.

September 9, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • DC Buckeye

I was wondering when someone would remember his role in Heathers! I love his line when he says, " . . . and as she so eloquently wrote in her suicide note, the way that life can suck!"

RIP.

September 9, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

boo

September 9, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  21. sunsohot

Oh wow, I just LOVED him in Beetlejuice, the Day-O dancing scene still runs through my head now and then and I sing along. Sympathy to the family. RIP Glenn.
    and shame on those who have nothing nice to say but feel compelled to post something. Karma.

September 9, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  22. girlfeathers

I always enjoyed Mr. Shadix's performances - great delivery and awesome voice - and so funny. Very sad he died so young - my own mama's age - far too young!

September 8, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Joes two cents

What is Samantha Ronson doing in the picture?

September 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. bhigh

I hope he has a Handbook for the Recently Deceased! RIP Mr. Shadix.

September 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Hoagmeister

Aw, Glenn, you were so funny, and such a fascinating character. And like me, a diabetic with weight problems. Just a year younger too. Really enjoyed your writing about growing up Gay in the South. You lost so much weight too, but I guess there's only so much you can do once the diabetes digs in. You made Beetlejuice come alive. Happy Trails big fella. You must have left a lot of friends and loved ones behind.

September 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jeff

Geniuses!
    Glenn Shaddix was not overweight when he died.

September 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Nunya

I just wanna know what that guy in the background is doing??

September 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • H8R H8R

Most people can tell the look of love/severe admiration. Glenn was a gay man, you know. That was most likely his lover. And good for you, Glenn...

September 9, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • H8R H8R

@lance corporal/SYLVI212/all the other haters... What a blatant display of projecting your self-loathing on this dead guy by inserting anti fat/gay comments. Nobody's perfect, and those who shout the loudest are the least perfect. So, keep going, while the rest of us with intelligence laugh atcha.

September 9, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  28. CanMal

Mr. Shadix was a hoot; he played characters that were very comfortable with their superiority.
    I shall miss his work.

September 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  29. EM

Don't forget him on Seinfeld. He was the only one in Jerry's building who could understand Julio's Spanish!

September 8, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

That's right! I just watched an episode of Seinfeld recently with Glenn Shadix. That character was very funny.

September 9, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  30. bobolink

How grand it is that his talents will live forever through the miracle of film,digital and other archiving methods. I wish that could be so for us poor mortals.,

September 8, 2010 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Oprah W

Mobility problems? Sounds like the humptey dumptey fell down and did not have a life alert bracelet.

September 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. lance corporal

he had some good roles, character actors are always the best actors, stars are over rated, 58 dam that's young, this should be a clear warning to many, live fat = die young ...... and spending your waning years with "mobility problems"
    my 1st daughter LOVED beetlejuice and I watched it with her 100 times at least, he was a delight in it

September 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

I agree that being overweight is dangerous to one's health but according to another posting, Mr. Shadix had bariatric surgery and lost 100 lbs. Also, I am very aware that 58 is a young age to pass away since my father passed away only two months after he turned 58 and he was not overweight nor had he ever been overweight. Your reply was hurtful, inappropriate, insensitive, cruel, and just downright mean considering this person whom I doubt you ever knew or even met is no longer living. The only things anyone should say about someone who has died are: rest in peace, my condolences to his/her family, and sorry for your loss.

September 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  33. J. W. Coffey

I met him once at a SF/F convention in Columbus OH. what a sweet and gentle soul he was. He will be missed mourned.

September 8, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obama

yeah sure u did

September 9, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Ravensun

@Obama – actually, quite probably he/she DID meet Mr. Shadix at a S/F convention in Ohio. Many actors do frequent those, after all...

September 9, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Gersh

RIP Associate Bob.

September 8, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Faith

We'll Look at it this way ...he was finally delivered from LL BEAN

September 8, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Jack

Who is the photo gobblin?

September 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Buck

And zsa zsa is still hanging around.

September 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. H8RH8R

TooBadSoSad you're totally incorrect. He underwent gastric bypass surgery a few years back and lost 100 pounds. He was recently having problems with sciatica and therefore was temporarily wheelchair bound. Seems you should do a bit more fact-checking and a lot less hating, you waste of human life who just happens to own a computer!

September 8, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dmegson

TooBadSoSad...In truth, you are too sad to be bad. That is my opinion.

September 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  40. TooBadSoSad

He should have taken better care of himself. By the looks of it, he was too fat and it killed him. That is my opinion.

September 8, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

No matter how inaccurate, inept, or unnecessary it may be, right?

Seriously, the fact CNN still allows people to comment on any story is often mind boggling based on the way people prove their intelligence.

September 8, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • CanMal

Hey, shouldn't you be lowering the IQ over at YouTube?

September 8, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jeff

Young Sinatra! Only Frank was the young "SINATRA"
    Get a life!

September 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jim N

Did everyone forget that Mr. Shadix had another memorable role in Demolition Man, he upstaged Stallone and Bullock and made a ho hum movie amusing. RIP Don't let the bast*rds get you down.

September 8, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Akrasian

Yeah, his role as Associate Bob in Demolition Man was my first thought too.

September 8, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Lurking Bat

my first thought was his Orson Wells-esk version of Leopold Doppler from Jean Shepherd's 'My Summer Story' (also know as 'It Runs in the Family')

September 9, 2010 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
  43. Henry C

Along with his more popular "Beetlejuice" role, I also think of Glenn as the sermon leader for the various funerals in "Heathers." He had a really good film voice and was funny even in his smaller roles. RIP Glenn.

September 8, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dischead

He was awesome in Heathers! The best line he ever had in moviemaking: "ESSS-KI-MO!"

September 9, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  44. Hoot R.Gibson

Unreal...spelling cops and flame wars over this poor guy. Hey, he was human, nothing more nothing less...and he did have a great part in Beetlewhateve, and will be remembered for that part if nothing else for years to come....RIP Glenn.

September 8, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Brad

RIP big guy I loved you in Bettle Juice you really made that movie that much better :) its a shame that we have to have trolls on these forms come on America quit being stupid. I think what he would want to be remembered for would be his ability to make people laugh I will miss him for that as well as for being a human. And on that note I say goodby sir and remember the golden rule about fat folkes dont get between us and are food you will not survive :)

P.S. can you leave your handbook for the recently deceased on my doorstep :) would love to be able to bring you back so we could kick it with everyone else :) Cubby Kids RULL!!!!! well untell they pass out for running to hard.

September 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike B

I wonder if he's gonna be buried in that single knit polyester leisure suit?

September 8, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Mike

I am really saddened to hear about his passing. My thoughts go out to Mr. Shadix's family. Otho will live on forever.

September 8, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mkub

Yayyy CNN for making the headline "Bettle Juice." The finding-typos-on-CNN game is almost getting too easy :/

September 8, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

The CNN headline reads "Beetle Juice", not Bettlejuice. Regardless, the main idea of the article is the fact that a human being has died. Lets show some respect for the deceased.

September 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Dawn

Am I the only one seeing the headline on CNN as Bettle Juice?
    What's a bettle?
    A small bet?

September 8, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kathy

Can CNN get nothing right? The name of the film was "Beetlejuice," not "Beetle Juice."

September 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • The corrector

***BZZZZZT***

WRONG.

Pull out the cover of your DVD or go to IMDB and check first next time you ridiculous person.

September 8, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • BPstinks

Kathy,
      Go home to Faux news

R.I.P. Mr. Shadix

September 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Uh, corrector – the DVD cover shown on Wikipedia shows it as one word. IMDB shows it as two. So I'd be hesitant to correct someone on that one.

September 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • cliff

Careful there. You are degrading the most "trusted name in news" according to them.
      Ha

September 8, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mel

Beeltejuice! Beetlejuice! beetlejuice! Now I'm on the other side to be with you, Glenn! RIP!

September 8, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • douglas

Not that this is worth writing about, but IMDB has it listed as Beetle Juice, but the characters name is Beetlejuice, and on the front of the video cover it reads BEETLEJUICE.

September 9, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  51. Jay Kay

"Beetle Juice"... never heard of it, but Beetlejuice is a great film!

September 8, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beetlegeuse

I thought it was "Beetlegeuse" after the Beetlegeuse star, not Beetlejuice. What the hell is that? That movie was horrible, as are all of Tim Burton's works.

September 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. AgentFiftySeven

"Don't mind her. She's still upset because somebody dropped a house on her sister."

Great line and I've always loved the way he delivered it.

RIP, man..

September 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • bit

Yes! Perfect!

September 8, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • In Vegas

One of my top twenty favorite lines from a movie and I agree – his delivery was priceless!

September 8, 2010 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail Snail

Deeply saddened to learn of Glenn's passing at such a young age. I will be turning 58 next month.

Glenn was magnificent in "Beetlejuice".

Rest In Peace, Glenn Shadix. You will live on in your films.

September 9, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Yes, I agree, that line was perfect and he was the perfect Otho. Since my dad passed away also at the age of 58, this is especially sad for me even though I did not personally know Mr. Shadix. Rest in peace Mr. Shadix and very sorry for your loss to his family.

September 9, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Nicole

So sorry to hear of his passing and at such a young age! Rest in peace, dear sir, you are free!

September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Joey S.

"...To the living, let now the dead...come ALIVE!!!" You will live on forever as Otho, Mr. Shadix! RIP

September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Loren

What a performance Mr. Shadix gave in Beetlejuice. If only for that role, he will be remembered for a long time. Thanks and Rest in Peace.

September 8, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Gilda

We just watched Beetlejuice again over the weekend, so this is especially poignant for our family.

RIP Mr Shadix. You'll be sorely missed

September 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  57. NavyBrittany

Aww I hope his family is taking it well. RIP Mr. Shadix, you were quite an actor!

September 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Director's Cut

The dance you were doing to the song "Day-o" is a cinema classic for the ages in Beetlejuice. Thanks for the great memories.

September 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Guest

Your comments about his weight are just so wrong & cruel! Just because he was overweight, you think his passing puts a spotlight on the fact that many Americans are overweight? Is that because you were one of the fat kids at school and think it is ok to criticize him for having been overweight? That is so wrong because we have lost an actor (loved him in Bettle Juice) who, despite everything, had a career he enjoyed but gave up so he could be with his family. May he rest in peace!

September 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Alley

YoungSinatra: Learn to spell before you rip apart people. I'd like to know just how you would accomplish "NO WAY I'd let my kid stay fat". What would you do, starve the child?? Big people are indulgent, but they shouldn't have to put up with IGNORANCE.

September 8, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  60. sheppard

good grief..............

September 8, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Reader

He hit his head after a fall; that can happen to anyone, whether mobile or not. Please think before you go on your diatribes.

September 8, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  62. sheppard

AJ – why are you bringing politics into this? Go to a political forum if you are so hard up for something to bi+ch about.

September 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  63. sheppard

Besides, AJ, no one felt the need to point out that you are heartless moron...

September 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Babak from Los Angels

Dear Young Sinatra; Has it ever occured to you loosing weight might not be eveyone's top periority? Try a little sensitivity. A man has passed and his family might be reading this. How about a little tact & class?

September 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Kim

First and foremost, learn how to spell. Secondly, how inappropriate of you to make comments about a recenly passed man's weight. I'm gussing that you (and AJ) never learned that it is what is inside a person that counts. Do you want to be remembered for your poor spelling and lack of manners? I somehow doubt it. Just take a couple of minutes and THINK before you speak/type.

September 8, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  66. SYLVI212

When someone is that over weight and losing weight IS NOT their top prority, they are in serious trouble. That guy was absolutely huge. Good for him that he was in the process of losing weight, but I don't know how ANYONE can say their health isn't their top priority. Even if his weight played no role whatsoever in his death, if you are sitting there thinking that someone with that type of weight problem doesn't need to address the problem PDQ, you are not being honest with yourself. Obesity is a serious, serious issue. I am 5' 6" and 115 lbs and believe me, I work my a** off to stay that way.

September 8, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. joe

If you weight promlem kills you, it probably should have been a top priroity. If you are dead, all of you other priorities really don't matter much any more.

September 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  68. lance corporal

who told you this was a tribute only board?? where does it say that? did I miss it or are you lying? why so sensitive about the fat issue? the dude may type to quick to spell well but he;s right and this good mans young passing should be an obvious warning to overweight people about what their future holds....... and BTW questioning someone's manners and then telling them to eat a d-ck is about as hypocritical as you can be

September 8, 2010 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  69. PoofyLamour

Perhaps he enjoys that particular activity himself and thought this to be a blessing. Could be...

September 9, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  70. Suz

If you are 5'6" and weigh 115 lbs, you are flirting with being UNDERweight. Do be careful!

September 9, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |