Michael Douglas will ‘Stand Up to Cancer’
September 7th, 2010

Michael Douglas will ‘Stand Up to Cancer’

In addition to the bevy of stars already signed up for this week’s “Stand Up to Cancer” telethon, actor Michael Douglas will also participate in the event, which will raise funds for cancer research.

The 65-year-old star of the upcoming movie “Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps” was recently diagnosed with a tumor in his throat, and is currently enduring a bout of radiation and chemotherapy. “It’s a fight,” he told People magazine of his treatment. “It knocks you out.”

Douglas, who will participate via a taped segment, will join previously announced stars Reese Witherspoon, Sofia Vergara, Christina Applegate, Michael C. Hall, Jim Parsons, Gabrielle Union, Seth MacFarlane, David Boreanaz and Mandy Moore for the hour-long program.

You can watch the live, commercial free simulcast on ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, Bio, Current TV, Discovery Health, E!, G4, HBO, HBO Latino, MLB Network, mun2, Showtime, Smithsonian Channel, The Style Network, TV One and VH1 this Friday, September 10, at 8 p.m. ET and PT and 7 p.m. CT.

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. don't clik here

I do trust all of the ideas you have introduced in your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for starters. Could you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

September 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. chewbacca dog

I will immediately take hold of your rss feed as I can not to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Please permit me recognize in order that I may subscribe. Thanks.

August 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Olga

God Bless Michael and all those fighting with cancer. My brother Tomas died of cancer a year ago and it was not easy. Peace to all. Love u Michael Douglas and his family. Our prayers with u.

October 13, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  4. Luch

Sorry for misprinting. Means GOOD LUCK!!

September 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Luch

I had same problem last year. Squamous Cell Carcinoma grade 4a at the base of the tongue. Diagnosed at MSK in Manhattan (Dr Pfitzer) and treated at MSK in Basking Ridge (Dr. Shupac, Xiao and Boyle). 7 weeks of radiation and 3 chemo treatment (cysplatin, but can be used carboplatin or a various combination). Cysplatin is tough, but seems works better. You should be at the 4rd week of radiation treatment and second chemo. Already you lost your taste. Eating a steak or a piece of cardboard fell the same at this point. Remember keep eating and drinking until you can. Make your muscles of the throat working. You will feel tired, nausea and inappetence eventually prevail, so you will have to use a feeding tube for nutrition. You'll see yourself on the mirror as a ghost, dont get depressed. Drs will give you pain meds, try to use it carrefully, do no abuse. Talk with friends, dont close yourself into a shell. You'll be OK. 4 weeks after finished treatment I start eating and 3 months later I was back to work. Now my life is very normal. Forget about smoke or alcool. Still have problems drinking little wine. If is papilloma virus the rate of cure is above 90%. Like me, you have young children, they need you. Do it for them. Remember this is not a walk in the park, but you will get through. Crying and praying, does't help, but may can make you feel better. You are a though guy, you'll get over easily. Always think positive even at the last week when you'll be exausted. Easily you will lose 15-20 pounds and will take 6 months to get it back. You already stop shaving and may lose hair on back of your neck. Will take a couple of months to get it back.
    I'm sure you'll be back for next movie in one year. GOD LUCK!!

September 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bikergal44

I too grew up watching you in movies and TV and wish you the best. But, as we know, we're all imperfect and prone to sickness. My mom died of cancer after being diagnosed 6 years earlier. If you want to enjoy life while you fight this disease, skip the chemo – it destroys everything in your body that's good as well as bad! Remember, your future life prospects are in God's hands, so if you die, so what? You can live again – isn't that was Jesus' death was all about? I can't wait for the day to see my mom again and hold her in my arms – yes my arms – in paradise – not in heaven, but right here on earth, as God intended. The Bible tells me so!

September 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Aureliya

I wish you all the best, be strong,

September 8, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. robin payton

Get well soon

September 7, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. frank white

my mother had cancer removed from her body and is still with us 7 years later, so it can be done. i have always been a fan of your movies mr. douglas, i am in your corner rooting for you.

September 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  10. portalpunk

have to comment on his hair, wild and crazy!

September 7, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. alumette

We all have to die. Two hundred years ago, people died young of infections, accidents, diseases and likely cancer was around. We just did not know how to diagnose it. Now that we have a population of over 6 billions, the odds to die of cancer are higher since we have managed the other causes. Cancer has adapted and is holding its own. It is like a cellular statement that keeps on going. We have learned to live with it, as we compromise with our mutilations, burns and poisons. As always, we have a choice usually dictated by the medical community. Why? our individualities are overshadowed as we become pawns on a conveyor belt. With good timing and a strong mind, we can always get off.

September 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. alumette

Not a lot of options but "standing up" to it. Grade 4 is no walk in the park and that 80% odds is likely not survival. Most people end up with feeding tubes and tracheostomies.....no fun stuff. It's good to believe in miracles. Why not? There will never be a cure for cancer. It is all about our environment such as the air we breathe, the food we eat and everything that surrounds us that is carcinogenic. It affects the parts in our bodies that are naturally weakened. There is a huge culture built around the management of cancer. We deal with it but we will never obliterate it.

September 7, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bill Skadder

There are cures for many many different types of cancer, BUT, medicine is big buissness. The pharmacies would take a big financial hit as well as the treating hospitals. And all those companies that build all those big medical machines, x-ray, etc. Alot of people's income are tied to the sickly. Doesn't sound right does it, but that's the reality of it. The hospitals and pharmacy's rely on you being sick. Thats just sick

September 7, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. laura

May there one day be a cure for all cancers.Several aunts & uncles & my father died from a form of cancer.this is a good cause Stand Up & be heard...peace

September 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Think higher

I grew up watching this guy on screen. I'm rooting for you Micheal. May God be with you.

September 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Candice

Everyone deserves a lifetime. I too stand up to Cancer in memory of my two dads. I miss them everyday.

September 7, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

Everyone deserves a long and happy life, wonderful children and prosperity. Now, about reality: not everyone gets any of these wishes. Many people die young, in agony , fear and poverty. That's the luck of the draw.

September 7, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |