Nicole Richie's wild teen years
September 6th, 2010

Nicole Richie's wild teen years

As her son Sparrow celebrates his first birthday on September 9, Nicole Richie is opening up about her wild teen years and the day she decided to become a virgin – or at least declare herself one with a tattoo.

"I'm a Virgo and the sign is a virgin," Richie, who turns 29 on September 21, tells the October issue of InStyle UK. "So, when I was 16, I got the word 'virgin' tattooed on my wrist thinking I was so deep and cool."

But now that she's a grown woman – and also mother to 2-year-old Harlow, her other child with rocker fiancé Joel Madden, 31 – Richie admits the ink is a bit embarrassing. Says the celebutante turned designer, "Now I just look really weird having 'virgin' written across my wrist – and I have to explain it."

Taking responsibility is important to Richie, who doesn't fault Hollywood or her music legend dad Lionel Richie, 61, for her rebellious past. "I don't blame my parents. It had nothing to do with them," says Richie, who was once a regular on the club scene with pal Paris Hilton. "I created it and manifested it, and I got myself through it with the help of a lot of great people."

1. Katie

I'm just curious...WHY was this girl ever famous?? Because she's Lionle Richie's daughter? Has she done anything in her life to deem her a celebrity? I don't think so...But then again–maybe that's why her & Paris Hilton were close friends...because they were both famous due to their parent's accord–and not their own...

September 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dr.RuthsAdvisor

"...the day she decided to become a virgin"

She was a virgin the day she was born, and she waited 16 years to advertise that?

September 16, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  3. The_Dude

Man she looks tore up in that picture. I guess hard partying takes its toll.

September 14, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

And you sound totally idiotic and uneducated. Instead of criticizing, go sign up for your GED. That would be more productive.

September 20, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tammy

I'm happy for Nicole, but getting her life together was still easier for her than for the average person. Why? Because she has always had unlimited resources because of her father's fame and money. If someone in her position couldn't do it there would be no hope for us "little" people.

September 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Really?

Oh Come ON already, YOUR suppose to be a productive member of our society, YOUR suppose to take care of your children, ironically women have been doing this for many years now. PLEASE stop idolizing these spoiled self serving celebrity d listers, as anything more than what they are which is trash. If you knew Nicole who she really is, (not a nice nor kind lady at all, and yes I do know this to be fact) you would not be so supportive, but then anyone who would look towards a celebrity for a ideal just wants to be fooled right?

September 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jamila

I am sooooo happy that Nicole back her life together. I always like her and it is funny sooo many people feels the same way. She is soooooo special. I wish the best life you and your family. may God be with you. Love You

September 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lorin

Since Nicole has seperated herself from Paris there hasn't been to much negative press about her. She seems to have gotten herself together and has put her family first before anything or anyone else. Paris on the other hand has much work to do.

September 8, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. What in the world?

Cynthia, nice to see you are in this century, what makes you think they'll stay together just cause they will be married and lol at rw, sinatra jr, or patty, if you're not impressed, why bother reading this article? I don't get that about some people, your'e not better than she is, (btw you all at CNN picked the worst picture of her lol, there are better ones on google) btw SMH at Zach, (as if you look like an early Liz Taylor yourself) no one idolizes them but they were a blip on pop culture for some reason though. I think you should give the public some credit about thinking for themselves. There ar e more people who hate her or Snooki than those who might like them.

September 7, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Think higher

Cynthia did not say that they will stay together if they are married. She merely suggetsted that Nicole should CONSIDER marry the father of her children since she is on the subject of moving on and growing up and all. Hold the horses!

September 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Rastas

She has a very talented mouth.

September 7, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. leshan

virgin my ass look like she just got finished getting her freak on in the picture,and smoking a pipe! look like she being "dancing on the ceiling"!

September 7, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. Melissa

I am so glad to see someone like Nicole taking responsibility for her own actions as a teenager and doing something about the mistakes she has made. AND she is not blaming her parents or anyone else for the mistakes she has made in life. Good for her for making positive changes for herself and for the future of her beautiful children.

September 7, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. cynthia

If Nicole is serious about being grown up and respectable now, she might consider getting married to the father of her two children ... I mean, she loves him, is "with him", and is bound to him by the children, so why not?

September 7, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
    • janet

I dont think marriage is a requirement for a long lasting stable relationship. Im glad Nicole is doing well..hopefully the rest will too.

September 7, 2010 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  13. cynthia

A tattoo like that makes me think of those "I Am A Virgin – This Is A Very Old T-Shirt" t-shirts I used to see ... a shirt like that gives only the smallest chuckle, but at least it can be taken off ... having your status or the name of your darling tattooed seems silly, as both can change.

September 7, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. YoungSinatra

It just goes to show how very nice it is to have millions of dollars to fall back on when you are ready to straighten up and become a model citizen. How very brave of her. I'm sooo impressed.....NOT!!!

September 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Patty

And this is a story because...........?

September 6, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JR

WOW, taking responsibility for her own actions, unheard of in Hollywood, have any of her old friends noticed? Hey Paris and Lohan, give a listen morons.

September 6, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dan

Paris was a bad influence.

September 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ian

What an idiot.

September 6, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • mammajohanna

Not really, at least she doesn't go around borrowing purses and blaming her problems on her friends. I'm glad she got her life together and now can enjoy it with her kids.

September 6, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rw

I just lost 8 minutes that I will never get back. Great!!!!!

September 6, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dani

It took you 8 minutes to read this article? o_O

September 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mammajohanna

No Dani...that was how long it took him to look it up in the dictionary and he's still confused.

September 6, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jayne

This is why I never got a tattoo. What's hip today is stupid tomorrow. What do you think Kat Van D is going to think when she looks in the mirror at 60? Those saggy old tats will be gross looking.

September 6, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ed Estrada

How about a meal and leave the crack alone?

September 6, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  22. STARR

IT'S NICE TO SEE NICOLE HAS TAKEN OWNERSHIP OF HER LIFE FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF HER CHILDREN..WE ARE OUR CHILDREN'S FIRST TEACHERS AND CHILDREN REMEMBER WHAT WE DO,NOT WHAT WE SAY!!
    MAY U HAVE MANY MORE POSITIVE STORIES TO SHARE WITH UR CHILDREN.

September 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  23. David, Cincinnati

Nicole would be less embarrassed if she added "(at) birth" to her tatoo as an ironic expression of the genetic significance to her early life, beyond motherhood.

September 6, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Brian

Great, Nicole has recognize her past faults. Now she has a chance to be a valuable member to society and her children. I see how hard it been for celebrity children to feel they fit into a normal life, becuase of the easy access to money and what it can buy. I as a parent find it hard to tell my children no, but I have on many occasions and yet they never wanted for things they needed and so far they all turned out fine. The lesson in this is no matter the income level we all can have to much of things that prove bad and your past choices do not have to effect your future as long as you choose to make a change for good. Nicole now its you time to shine and hold true to your words: Be a Good Mother to you children.

September 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Annie_suz

Well responsibilty for someone else can make a change.

September 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Safety

Guys,

She didn't grow up. She still parties and does loads of drugs.

She's still Nicole Ritchey, I'm surprised you're falling for this...

September 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mich

I take it u personally know Nicole and u can back up the fact that she is still a partier and still takes tons of drugs or u just like talking crap??? People lime u should b kept away from the computer!!!!

September 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Who the frick are you to be so judgmental? Who elected you to be God. If you keep your pikehole shut, people will not know for sure how stupid you are. Clean your own house.

September 20, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
    • kit

Maybe you should learn how to spell her last name before making comments like that.

September 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shiv

Paris, is that you?

September 24, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Yv

Crappy News Network

September 6, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Jessica

Before when Nicole was one of those party girls, i always thought she would never come back. i am glad that she changed her life which is great for her and her kids. congrats Nicole!!!

September 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. hanktheangrydwarf

Waste of an article. Let's direct the focus on important stuff.
    Good for her, it's called growing up.

September 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MomOf5

I think Nicole is also trying to tell people that some mistakes you just cannot go back and change, like her tatoo. So try to make good decisions from the start. Always stop and really think about the consequences of your actions and the long term effects. I'm glad to see she's doing so well now!

September 6, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jeremy

Worst article ever published on CNN

September 6, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Not Really The Worst

There are definitely worse...but at least this one has a positive spin. That's a nice change from the usual celeb trash talk!

September 6, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ricardo

Are you being a little dramatic? Drama Queen!

September 6, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. patty

I'm glad that she got her life together. Ppl like lohan should take some lessons from her! Change is possible

September 6, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  33. stephanie

Im so glad that she has turned her life around.Just shows with true faith you can overcome anything.Kudos 2 u nicole!! You are a true example of how people can truly change and do good in life regardless if your in the hollywood scene or not.

September 6, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  34. zach

A party girl celebrity...... Probly lost her virginity at 15 anyway. People fuel their rebellion by watching their e very move. Paris herself is not even pretty. Truth be told, she looks like a dog of some sort – with a big nose. If people wouldn't idolize them they would have to GET A LIFE!

September 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kathleen

I'm glad she got away from that airhead Paris Hilton. She doesn't need people like that in her life. Especially now that she has two little babies. Happy that Nicole overcame everything and realized what was important.

September 6, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  36. SAELI

I've always like Nicole better than Paris yet they always make her seem like the flunkee. Kudos to you now it's time to help your friend.

September 6, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  37. NAYNEE

Congrats on the changes she made in her life, motherhood has changed her for the good

September 6, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  38. TerryT

It goes to show you changes can always be made.She went through a rough addiction & now is a good mother & business woman.Blessings !!

September 6, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |