Kellan Lutz: A friend to the animals
September 6th, 2010

Kellan Lutz: A friend to the animals

A recent instance of animal cruelty was enough to drive a stake through the heart of "Twilight" actor Kellan Lutz.

Lutz, who plays vampire Emmett Cullen in the hit film series, was so upset after seeing disturbing YouTube video footage of a giggling Bosnian girl throwing six helpless puppies into a river that he took to Twitter yesterday to express his anger.

"I've never been so disgusted before. That video is so incredibly disturbing and plain out wrong," wrote Lutz, an animal-lover who posed with his rescued mutt Kola for a PETA ad urging fans to adopt pets from shelters.

The 25-year-old actor went on to praise "Transformers" producer Michael Bay, who reportedly offered a bounty for the girl's arrest, tweeting, "Thank you for that, and everyone who is not standing for this. That cruelty and any cruelty to animals helpless or not is unacceptable. I can't get the crying puppies out of my head."

According to reports, the troubled girl, who has been identified by Bosnian police, faces paying up to $6,400 in fines for her actions, thanks to a new animal protection law. Lutz, for one, couldn't be happier.

"I'm so grateful that she has been found and even more grateful for the new law!" he said. "Thank you all for taking a stand and using your voices against such actions as this. You all are my heroes!"

1. Cedric B

love this guy ! he'll be in next movie Hercules, in january (see how he did his workout for the movie here : http://kellanlutzworkout.com/)

December 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Melinda Rogers

Im so glad Kellan Lutz is standing up for animals! Its so nice to see some of young Hollywood caring about things other than themselves. Animal cruelty is something that is dealt with everyday. Im so against it! I cant imagine hurting an animal. Im just so glad some celebrity are fighting for our four-legged friends! Well done Kellan!

September 15, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sallie Wilmot

While this act is horrible and unthinkable and I couldn't watch it, I have watched some of the PETA videos. I am a vegetarian simply for the reason that I believe that animals are all thinking, feeling and beautiful creatures. All of you who "love" animals ought to see the kind of cruelty and depraved indifference with which we treat the animals that unwittingly end up on your plate, they are no less precious or helpless than the puppies that were discarded as mere trash by that girl. We are all to blame, however, until we change the way we see ALL animals, these kind of tragedies will continue.

September 7, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  4. luci

i am thrilled that they found her and i hope that she is severly punished, the guy that taped it was probably in on it and probably was encouraging her. he should be found and punished just as severly as she was.

it seems that recently people are showing how cold and unworthy they are to be around creatures that are ours to protect.....they are not "just animals" they have feelings and intelligence as well as we do (probably more if you ask me)

September 7, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. jan

i couldn't be more happy that they found her but what about the guy who was filming her. he is just as guilty because he could have stopped her from doing this unthinkable act. i can still hear those cries from those defenseless puppies thank god that they made the new animal protection law. that's what is needed here to curb the animal cruelty. maybe we can take a que from this and help protect the animals we love.

September 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kristy

I couldn't even bring myself to read about this story much less watch a video (who would tape a video and not act to save them?) So I am grateful for this man's voice – and all who spoke up, for those who looked for and found her, and even more so for the law. I hope that she will be denied contact with animals in the future – and with children as well. It often starts with animals.....
    Thank you.