Comedian Robert Schimmel dies at 60
September 6th, 2010

Comedian Robert Schimmel dies at 60

Comedian Robert Schimmel died Friday from injuries he suffered in a car accident a week prior, Bob Merlis, his friend and former rep at Warner Bros. Records, confirmed to CNN. He was 60 years old.

Schimmel, his son and his daughter, 19, were traveling in his daughter’s car on August 26 when she swerved to avoid an oncoming car, the New York Daily News reported Saturday. Schimmel’s daughter is in stable condition. His son was released from the hospital shortly after the accident.

After losing his 11-year-old son to cancer in 1993, suffering a heart attack and being diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma and hepatitis C, Schimmel, a frequent guest on “The Howard Stern Show,” turned to humor to cope with the perils of life. He penned “Cancer on $5 a Day (chemo not included): How Humor Got Me Through the Toughest Journey of My Life” in 2008.

Entertainment Weekly reported that some of Schimmel’s fellow comedians tweeted their condolences.

“The world lost a true comedian, one of the greats. He turned his pain into laughs. He was fearless. RIP ROBERT SCHIMMEL,” Marlon Wayans wrote.

“Robert Schimmel was one of the funniest and nicest guys in comedy,” Jimmy Kimmel wrote.

“Robert Schimmel was one of the first people in comedy to call when my folks were fighting cancer. No ego no bs no small talk just inspiration,” Dane Cook wrote.

He is survived by his five children.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities

1. Pharmd693

Hello! fecckgf interesting fecckgf site! I'm really like it! Very, very fecckgf good!

March 17, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. Pharmf49

Hello! abakffk interesting abakffk site! I'm really like it! Very, very abakffk good!

March 17, 2012 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. mole

he never harmed anyoneI pray for you and your family I'm Sorry for your loss

October 15, 2010 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. Becky Crespo

RIP... It is so sad.... I pray for you and your family

September 30, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff Schimmel

I'm Sorry for your loss. And wish the family well.Give me a e-mail.

September 14, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lori

I've been gone...away from tv, radio and phones. I just heard about Robert 15 minutes ago. My husband had to talk me through my crying and hyperventilating over the phone...now I'm just crying and trying to type through watering eyes. Robert and I chatted on a regular basis. We were making plans for him to come to Washington state to headline at Ryan Stiles comedy club just a few weeks ago. We talked about his loneliness, his love for Victoria, how fragile life was and how much he loved his children. He was very grateful to all of his fans and their support and I know for a fact they got him through many long sleepless nights. Much love and prayers goes out to the family from my family. I choose to believe that Robert will be at the gates to greet each of us with a joke. I will miss my buddy more than I can ever describe and we all need to remember...laughter REALLY IS the best medicine. RIP my dear Robert.

September 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. lucinda

I only saw him once, BUT, if you have ever taken care of a dying person (I have) till the end, you really have no idea how on target this man was, but to make it funny is a true gift. I was laughing and crying all at the same time (truely a great emotion, laughter thru tears) I can't believe it took this long for CNN to print this!!! And I can't believe after all he has been thru, a car accident gets him? He'd say "NOW THAT'S FUNNY!". The world is a sadder place now. I pray his daughter gets lots of help NOW. Peace to his family. RIP Robert.

September 8, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  8. MImi

He will surely be missed. I got to know him from his visits to the Stern show. His honesty and humor were unsurpassed. He was a very special person. I'm so sorry for our loss.

September 8, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. PaulHargus

Take it out of the box honey! Take it out of the box!

September 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mindy

He was a brilliant, funny man. It was always amazing and inspirational that with so many challenges in life, he chose not to be bitter. He chose to help people fight the way he fought – smiling, laughing and appearing to scream at the fates "Is that all you've got!?"

September 7, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Keith1952

Who was he?

September 7, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Barry

Very sad indeed. He was funny and creative. Saw him live at the Improv in Irvine. Bought his DVD. My wife and I watched it over and over again and laughed every time. Can't believe he is dead. Life is so fragile.

September 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lisa

I'm so sad to hear of his passing. Robert Schimmel was the -funniest- comic i've ever seen, enjoyed his shows many times in Las Vegas when he'd come around. Biting wit, a hell of a storyteller. He more than anyone would find the whole thing ironic and funny, he's had a son die from cancer, he's diagnosed with it years later, he's got drama with ex-wives..Beaten all that, to die in a car crash. It's like he's setting up a heck of a joke we'll only get the end to if there's an afterlife.

RIP Robert, you were one of the best ever.

September 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. wenchbag

what a terrible loss for the world of comedy. he will be missed.

September 7, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. g

So sad, such a great guy who had overcome so much. He's gone too soon. All of us Stern Fans will miss you terribly. RIP

September 7, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Otto

Wow, I had heard he died but thought he had a relapse of cancer. What a tragedy. He was one of my favorite comedians.

September 7, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Boka

Sad. Here today, gone tomorrow. If you are lucky somebody will remember you after you are gone. Most likely it's like you never existed at all.

September 7, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Ben Dover

Sorry, but he wasn't funny anymore. It wasn't funny when he started dating his daughters friends and it wasn't funny when all the creativity and intellect simply vanished from his comedy.

September 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Ah, notes on what is and isn't funny from someone who thinks having "Ben Dover" as his screen name is funny. I'll be happy to consider the source on this one.

September 7, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jeff

I had never heard of him when I first say him perform live – this was over 20 years ago. He was, and remains to this day, the funniest show I have ever seen. Several times throughout the show I was laughing so hard that no noise was coming out of me as all my "air" had been laughed out and I could not catch my breath. RIP Robert...

September 7, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Matt

When I had cancer back in 2007, his book really made me laugh and got me through it. What a bummer – but he will never be forgotten. Hilarious, and I'll bet has gotten quite a few people through their cancer ordeals with inspiration and a smile!

September 7, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Vanessa

About 10 years ago, my friend Michele and I were spending the night in a hotel, turned on HBO and started watching Robert Schimmel for the first time. We laughed so damn hard!! We couldn't believe that we had never seen him before! Years later we were very fortunate to meet Robert at one of his shows in Miami, he was very nice (and of course hilarious). Rest in Peace!

September 7, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  22. npg

very few people left in the world who are truly funny...he was one of them...a great loss for those who have lived life and can appreciate the humor in the struggles many of us endure...very very funny man and a tremendous loss not just for comedy but for the very human way of handling life and it's trials

September 7, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MeMeMeMimi

I'm am so distraught about this. He was such an amazing guy & I'm so glad that I got to see him live & even meet him. He was cordial & very sweet. What a comic, he was the epitome of a man that took his own tragedies & turned it into comic gold. He was a REAL comedian, with ridiculous amounts of talent. I will shed many tears for you Bob, many. R.I.P.

September 7, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  24. RS

I just heard about this while heading into work this morning. 107.3fm WRQX was talking about it, and they said they'd had him on the show before, and how funny and nice he was. I'd never heard of him that I'm aware of but I do feel for his family. So my heart goes out to them. They're in my thoughts and prayers.

September 7, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  25. Chris

I met Robert Schimmel in 2003 in a bookstore in Columbus, OH. He saw my friend and I looking through books about religion and he handed me a copy of Emile Weisel's Messenger's of God. Cool book and a very nice man. He talked a good bit about his cancer treatment and what he was up to since then. I'm sorry to hear that we lost such a nice guy today.

September 7, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  26. 5'2"

Such a funny guy. This is truly a loss. RIP.

September 7, 2010 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  27. 1jimmyhoffa

SAD!!!!!!

September 7, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  28. wwm

He was a very funny person I was sadended by this news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He will very missed he was one of my favorite comics.

September 7, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  29. Iron Mike Sharpe

I loved when he left his wife for his daughter's best friend.

September 7, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  30. kathy

SHAME ON YOU CNN FOR NOT HAVING ENOUGH RESPECT TO POST THIS FUNNY MANS WHOLE NAME.. THAT JUST STINKS!! THIS WAS ONE OF THE FUNNIEST COMICS EVER, AND I WAS SHOCKED TO SEE HE PASSED!! HOW SAD TO HAVE READ THIS, BUT SADDER STILL YOU USED ONLY THE LAST NAME..

September 7, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  31. Tone

My tribute to Robert Schimmel and the sad but true story that was his life is @ http://www.dontyouhatepants.net , RIP Robert!

September 7, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Rastas

What's funny is, no one's ever heard of this guy yet you all talk like he's the biggest thing in comedy. LOL!!!

September 7, 2010 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
    • DST

Maybe it's only you and your circle that haven't heard of him.

September 7, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • MeMeMeMimi

You obviously don't know anything about comedians then. You missed out, sad for you.

September 7, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Rastas

If you mean I don't listen to foul-mouthed people like Stern then yes. I prefer my comedians to be funny.

September 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • TxT

Stern's not foul mouthed. Don't throw out opinions on something you know nothing about. And if you've never heard of Schimmel, then why are you commenting here? This is a place for condolesnces. If you have none, then HUSH!

September 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lori

You must be about 10 years old if you've never heard of Robert Schimmel. Stop poppin' your mouth off and go rent one of his dvd's...THEN comment.

September 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ThePhoenix

doesnt mention he dated his daughter friend...RIP funny man

September 7, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  34. denise

So sad. He was a very brave man. Prayers too his family.

September 7, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  35. Billy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! TRIUMPH....YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!

September 7, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  36. Jason

My heart and prayers go out to his family. Robert was truely a gifted comidian and will be missed. He was a true inspiation to many comics and had the ability to lift your spirts with gift of making us laugh. XM radio comedy and the world stage stage of comedy will never be the same. Thank you for laughs and hope you know that the legacy of your talent will live on forever. God bless you and your family. I know that where ever you are in heaven you will be cracking jokes and making God laugh his butt off. You will truely be missed.

September 7, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jason

My heart and prayers go out to his family. Robert was truely a gifted comidian and will be missed. He was a true inspiation to many comics and had the ability to lift your spirts with gift of making us laugh. XM radio comedy and the world stage stage of comedy will never be the same. Thank you for laughs and hope you know that the legacy of your talent will live on forever. God bless you and your family. I know that where ever you are in heaven you will be cracking jokes and making God laugh his ass off. You will truely be missed.

September 7, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  38. sarah

I've really never hear of this guy. Who is is?

September 7, 2010 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
    • MeMeMeMimi

His name was Robert Schimmel, he was a comedian, jeez can't you read?

September 7, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  39. liveswithacat

I've never heard of him.

September 7, 2010 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dana

Rest in Peace Schimmel. Easily one of the best shows I've ever seen. His daughter was at the show I went to – very sweet girl. Prayers for the family – they've been through soo much. Peace to his daughter – I can't imagine how she's feeling.

September 7, 2010 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  41. Bob

Fantastic act. Saw him in the SF area. Loved the show and the pace. Started slow and kept getting faster and more involved. He will be missed.

September 7, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  42. Cris

Thanks for the laughs, Bob.

September 7, 2010 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  43. Carl

A great loss. They say the funniest comedians are the one's with the most tragic of lives. He always seemed to turn his misfortunes into comedic gold. He was an extremely funny man and he will be missed. RIP Bob.

September 7, 2010 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
  44. grouchomx

He was one of my favoites, this sucks...

September 7, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  45. Botsman

I was able to see Robert in person twice, and I was looking roward to seeing him a 3rd time, guess i will have to to wait and see both him and Sam and Rodney, when I go to that big comedy show in the sky. Thanks Roberts for the laughs you werea true fighter and a GREAT person.

September 7, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  46. Kev

Truly a sad day. I loved his delivery and timing.

September 7, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  47. Robert Boalt

I feel like I've lost One more friend this year.We'll be in good company when we arive.

September 7, 2010 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  48. wasntme

Sad he had to go happy he gave us laughter

September 7, 2010 at 4:47 am | Report abuse |
  49. Bruce

I loved him as a comedian, and thought his stuff after his bouts with cancer and treatment may have even been funnier than the stuff that came before. I found myself sitting on a plane next him about 2 years ago from Burbank to Phoenix. I knew who he was , and didn't pull the fan boy on him and we ended up talking for 90 minutes about his daughter and a little about his show. Glad I got that moment. RIP Bob

September 7, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse |
  50. jaime Greer

Loved your style and passion for life. Thanks for laughs and now for the tears. Make GOD laugh he could use a good one with all the $ht he has going on down here.

September 7, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  51. steve505

At first I thought this said Schwimmer, as in David Schwimmer.....

:*(

September 7, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  52. Keith

I was lucky enough to see Bob live three times. I love countless comedians, but this guy was one of the few who made me laugh so hard I felt like I'd done a thousand sit-ups. RIP. :(

September 7, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  53. Big B

Never heard of him.

September 7, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  54. Stephanie Gatas

I am SO sad to hear this! He was an AMAZING comedian...I almost peed my pants watching his stand up! Dammit!

September 7, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  55. C.J.

It took cnn.com long enough to report on Mr. Schimmel's death. I found out about it two days ago from filmdrunk.com.

September 6, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  56. TJ

This is truly shocking and horrendous......I'm referring to the fact that Dane Cook is considered a comedian. The part about Bob Schimmel's death is horrible too though.

Honestly.....Schimmel was a truly funny comedian that even more people should have got to know while they had the chance. His up front honesty about his life and personal foibles made visits to the Stern show legendary.

September 6, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. lance corporal

bye bye bobbie, you where one funny motherf-cker, had no idea you where doing stern till I read this tho, oh well every one does some slumming

September 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  58. YoungSinatra

The artical reads like the movie 'Final Destination'. Sounds like death was going to get him at all cost. And I always tell my two sons it takes 10 years before a driver sees all driving situations. So it really takes that long to became a seasoned driver.

September 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Robrod

@Oodoodanoo LOL! Wherever Schimmel is he's laughing his butt off.

September 6, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Rich

What a great, funny man. RIP.

September 6, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  61. George K

RIP , and may God protect all the ones that loved you.

September 6, 2010 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Big Fan

Schimmel was a great man ... for me to poop on. Every carton he did for SNL, every bit he did with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, it was all laugh-out-loud funny. If you haven't read his book, go get it tomorrow. It's not only funny, it will tear your heart out and make you glad to be alive at the same time. A truly gifted, brilliant comic who could make people laugh every time. Rare, rare, rare. RIP.

September 6, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry Cohen

BIG FAN you couldn't have said it better!! Get that book tomorrow folks!! Life is a series of breathes until you no longer breathe. Enjoy each one!

September 6, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • King

Wrong comic.....Your talking about Robert Smigel.

September 6, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Midwestmatt

I always found him incredibly funny. A total side splitter every time I saw him on TV. I wish I had the chance to see him live.

He seemed incredibly down to earth and optimistic despite cancer, the loss of a young child and two marriages that went south.

It turns out my brother worked with him in Phoenix selling stereos way before "Bob" Schimmel became Robert. He said he was funny way back in the 70s and he really liked him.

RIP "Bob" and may your daughter carry no guilt.

September 6, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Oodoodanoo

And yet Dane Cook lives.

September 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • lucinda

Not funny

September 8, 2010 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Dingo Thursday

Dane cooks the man

September 11, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Chas

Oodoodanoo sez: "And yet Dane Cook lives."

Now that's effin' funny. Dane doesn't have as much funny in his whole body as Schimmel had in his fingernail clippings. Watch "Unprotected" and then watch any Dane Cook stand-up routine. You'll laugh your ass off watching Schimmel, and you might get a chuckle or two out of Cook.

September 12, 2010 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  65. Larry Cohen

The world lost a giant in comedy. Schimmel had a style that made you think and an edge that made you cringe. Self deprecating, funny and fearless. Perhaps Bob would have been a larger national presence if he had gotten a break along the way but the truth is that this guy saw the world in a funny way and had the intelligence to convey his views in a hysterical manner. RIP Bob. The world is a little less funny tonight.

September 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Chris

I had the opportunity to listen to Robert Schimmel many times on the Bob and Tom show. Being a cancer survivor too, his laughter was soothing and theraputic. Thanks for all the laughs. You will be missed terribly.

September 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Jackie1922

Talk about life not being fair. He had more than his share of tragedies, but was very brave and optimistic. I've seen him perform and he was very funny. May he rest in peace.

September 6, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Meadow

Saw Schimmel for the 5th time at Comix, NYC this spring. He killed as always, we will really miss him.

September 6, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  69. robrod

This sucks. I used to listen to this guy all the time on and off the stern show. RIP, and prayers to your family. I'd give 10 MJs for one Bob Schimmel.

September 6, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  70. jim armstrong, fayetteville,nc

he will be missed, that's obvious, may his fans meet him some day in paradise, may his detractors not make it there.

September 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Jen

this truly breaks my heart - been a huge fan of his for quite awhile and often thought of his wonderful humor as my husband went through his bout of cancer this past year... i wish his family all the best and peace for a man that brought joy to so many RIP RS

September 6, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Chuck

I remember the first time I heard his routine; I literally peed my pants. I had the fortune of seeing him years later at the Tempe Improv and he was just as funny. I was really touched that he took the last 20 minutes of his show to talk to the audience about life and how he dealt with his battle with cancer...Schimmel was truly something special and will be greatly missed.

September 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Jose

I saw his Hbo special over 10 years ago, my wife was sleeping I was laughing so hard it woke her up. I had that special on tape and showed it to all my friends claiming it was the funniest stand up I ever saw. My 3 year old son accidentally taped over it. I could never find it on dvd, until Robert came to town. Saw him live had the privelige of meeting him after his show. I purchased the dvd which he kindly autographed. He was awesome enough to take a picture with my friends and I. What a great, funny and wonderful person. I will miss him.

September 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  74. gracy toy schultz

=C

September 6, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Vivienne

I had the privilege of seeing him perform @ 6 years ago. I was a huge fan of him since his HBO Special. What a guy. A real inspiring person. His ability to look on the bright side with all of the perils he faced makes him a role model to me and to many many others I'm sure.

September 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • kathryn

He brought such laughter to our lives. I was on maternity bedrest and my husband went to the show....he sent a note home to me hoping i was doing well. he will be so missed.. we've been through so much, to lose him now, is so painful after so many deaths in our own lives, this feels like such a profound loss. I am devestated. He will be SO missed. Does the pain ever stop???

September 7, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  76. Alan

aww very sad news to hear. Just a few years ago I saw his stand up and it really was a good bit! Rest in Piece Robert, fans are legion and will miss you

September 6, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Chris

Heart attack, hep-C, and cancer, but died in a car wreck? Too bad he's not around to use that in his act. RIP.

September 6, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  78. colin

Crap! I was really disappointed it wasn't Jimmy Kimmel. RIP Schimmel–you were a funny guy in the toughest of times.

September 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Richard

One of the greatest comics of a generation has passed. This is terrible news. I saw him at Caroline's a year ago ... actually cancelled a trip to see him – his CD was amazing ... his set was awesome. Wow, this was tough to read.

September 6, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Birdy

Hey "Parrot"...you are rude. do not like what you posted.

September 6, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Sarah V

My condolences to his family. Robert Schimmel was one of the funniest out there, and one of the most genuine. He lived his life to the fullest, and will be fondly remembered for his comedy and humility. RIP :(

September 6, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Keith From NY

Comic Schimmel dies in car crash!? That is how CNN.com posted this story. One of the most original comics ever to have lived and they can't even put up his full name.
    What a hard life he had and now gets treated like dirt. Rest in peace Mr Schimmel. Thanks for the laughs!

September 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Dustin L. Hopper

Schimmel was a comedians "comedian". A true talent and great comic. My thoughts are for his daughter and I hope she knows, it wasn't her fault, and it was a freak accident, and she's able to move on.

September 6, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Christine

I'm not familiar with this comedian but reading the rest of the posts makes me feel like we lost a valuable member of the human race. It's a nice thought to think his 11 yr old son was there to meet him at the Pearly Gates. Rest in peace and much compassion for his family members.

September 6, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • MRFRAZIER

YOU HAVE TO GO TO YOU TUBE AND CHECK HIM OUT........TOP 20 ALLTIME FUNNY FOR ME...

September 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sarah V

Yep, check him out. If you can rent his Showtime special, do so. If filth isn't up your alley, disregard it for the message. The man made light of the cancer that he'd beaten, and was an inspiration to many who are living with cancer, those who have loved ones living with cancer, and even those who aren't up-close-and-personal with cancer.

September 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Jerry

Jeez what a horrible tragedy- cancer, heart and hep C and a dead son and now his own death? sad so sad

September 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  86. django1002

It is a sad loss. A very funny man

September 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  87. ron frey

We just lost a great one. Few make me laugh out loud and Robert always did.

This was an accident while trying to avoid an accident....
    Blessings to Roberts family...

September 6, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Rob

Don't forget to pray for his daughter. She'll undoubtedly blame herself for many years.

September 6, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie

Sadly, this is likely true. A similar thing happened to a friend of mine, she was 16 years old when she was driving with her mother and got into a car accident that killed her mother. My friend got out with minimal scratches, but the psychological agony she lived with was immense. His daughter needs to get into counseling as soon as possible.

RIP.

September 7, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Wesley Samsel

Yes! We tend to forget the after effects on those left behind. Thank you for reminding us..

September 7, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  89. MXD

Yes, exactly what DID take CNN three days before reporting this story?? Sounds like a snub, BIG time. RIP, Bob. You were always good on Stern.

September 6, 2010 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Ethan

Even sadder that I had to get this news from other comedians rather than CNN who failed to report it all weekend

September 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Dennis

Very sad when I heard the news. He was very funny and never got the big chance he deserved.

September 6, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Ed Estrada

A great loss for the comedy world. He will be missed. May God be merciful to his family and loved ones.

September 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. B-Dog

RIP Bob....
    He really was a funny motherf*****

To quote George Cloony... "I hope you find the peace in death that you never found in life."

September 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Footnote

You mean to say; "to quote Robert Kurtzman and Quentin Tarentino" not the puppet that slackjawed thier drivel...

September 8, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

No... Movie stars are credited with their own lines. "Franky my dear I don't give a damn" is credited to Clark Gable "Here's looking at you kid" is credited to Humphrey Bogart and so on...

September 8, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Abel

Sorry to hear about this. He found humor in everything.He was a great guest on Sterns show many times. R.I.P.

September 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abacab

It shows that every day is a gift. Sam Kinison had the same fate.
      Thanks for the laughs. RIP

September 6, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Watty Wattell

Care to explain the "BAD KARMA" comment. Or are you just shooting you ignorant mouth off?

September 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  96. JayJay

So you're calling a heart attack, lymphoma, and a car accident BAD KARMA? You're a heartless f@#$ing idiot...

RIP, Robert. I saw you many years ago and you were absolutely fantastic. The comedy world has lost a true talent...

September 6, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  97. lance corporal

he never harmed anyone, it ain't karma, tho your earning yourself some negativity aren't ya?

September 6, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  98. sarah

you're an ass

September 6, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Rich

Thanks for this. I'm in dire financial straits myself, but I'm takong responsibility for $20 of the bill. According to the wewbsite that leaves just 999 more donations to get to the needed $20K. Come on people! Call it a memorial for Bob Schimmel.

September 7, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  100. Angelica Daye

savestan.org is being investigated. NEVER give money to someone you do not know. There is no way to contact anyone on this site, the site is hidden (whois) AND no one can verify the truth of this story. I have a friend with the same disease and the story of "Stan" seems a bit "off". Beware: do not give money unless you can get more info.

February 7, 2011 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  101. not cool

How can you be so insensitive?

September 30, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |