Who's seeing 'Machete' this weekend?
September 3rd, 2010

Who's seeing 'Machete' this weekend?

Robert Rodriguez’s much-hyped “Machete” may have started out as a fake trailer in 2007’s “Grindhouse,” but the full-length feature finally arrives in theaters this weekend.

It stars Danny Trejo as the weapon-wielding Machete who finds himself seeking a violent justice after he gets caught up in an assassination plot meant to further a Texas senator's anti-immigration agenda. Michelle Rodriguez plays a taco-truck driving revolutionary; Jessica Alba takes a turn as a U.S. customs officer; and Lindsay Lohan also makes an appearance that we hear is mainly in the nude.

So if you’re the type of person who’s been anticipating this movie all along anyway, we doubt the reviews, good or bad, are going to change your mind. But if you’re still undecided on how badly you want to see what the fuss is about, the main question you need to ask is this: Can you stand some serious gore?

Ian Buckwalter over at NPR sounded satisfied with the feature, noting that “‘Machete’ shares the same trashy aesthetic as the exploitation films it self-consciously apes: bloody, near-cartoonish violence, a ludicrous plot, scenery-chewing performances and hammy dialogue. But Rodriguez and co-writer Alvaro Rodriguez infuse it with a self-awareness that builds on the inherent (but usually unintended) humor of those movies.”

For Boston Globe critic Ty Burr, “Machete” may be "junk," but it’s the kind you happily scarf down, enjoying the badness. “The movie’s an unexpected end-of-summer tonic: a trash guilty pleasure with a healthy (if really violent) sense of outrage. It’s also Rodriguez’s freest movie yet, and possibly his best,” Burr wrote.

So did "Machete" prove to be a gruesome good time? Let us know with an iReport review, and we’ll round up your thoughts after the holiday.

Filed under: movies

1. sama

Free Online movies

October 10, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lexuses71

Best B movie of 2010. Period.

September 12, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sean707

There are a couple of scenes of Lindsay Lohan and Jessica Alba worth watching for sure. “Machete" is indeed a B-Movie starting Hollywood starts for the first time. I’m sure hope it is just the first of many.

September 8, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. GrInDhOuSe

Keep your Avatar and Transformers(even though Transformer action figures WERE cool)(bays and cameron are cheesy like the Go-Bots)..I'll take a Rodriguez or Tarentino film over them anyday..they are TRUE movie geniuses..if you don't get the style then you probably never will..Machete will be a must have for my DVD collection..can't wait to see whats next from these two..

September 7, 2010 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. GrInDhOuSe

Grindhouse rules !!

September 7, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  6. JMC

Watching this movie was a lot of fun. I thought it would be lame but it wasn't. Its funny, exciting, and entertaining. If you want to see something that will entertain you instantly then I recommend it. If you are looking for some suspense-drama full of twist then maybe this movie isn't for you.

September 6, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eldono

Just what we need, another slasher movie. What is it with the need guys have for movies of violence?

September 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bigdadg

I enjoyed it. If you didn't like the Grindhouse films, you won't like this, either. It fits in nicely with those two. Now, for those of you who saw it, is it just me, or is Michelle Rodriguez now twice as hot as Jessica Alba? Somebody back me on this.

September 6, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Peter Calderwood

This Movie is worse than the Chuck Norris Bio-Pic Somebody Likes me.

September 5, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Chipper Holloway Jr.

this Movie is lacking Everything, mostly a storyline that is viable.

September 5, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Kenny Hamstein

this Movie is Terribly terrible.

September 5, 2010 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  12. Soda Pop Jackson

this Movie is a piece of Crap.

September 5, 2010 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Casswell Porter

You Guys hit the Nail on the head.

Stay Golden!

September 5, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Blakely Conrad Orleans

Abner is correct this Movie is Trash.

Chuck Norris probably is the real sponsor of same.

September 5, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  15. Abner Z. Z. Urkowitz

This movie takes an actor with No talent and makes him a Movie Star.

Where is the Sound of Music and Chris Plummer?

September 5, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. feng shui

now THIS is a movie!
    hardly any movie is worth paying money to go see (hence burning) but this one comes close to me not begrudging the money to see.
    it is seriously funny and funnily serious.
    it is well written in that it is truw to the genre, and the actors performances are too.
    there is more but....GO SEE IT!
    the final truth of the movie is in the credits....
    machete will return in....machete kills....and yet again will machete return after that in...machete kills, again. now this is telling the truth to the moviegoing public unlike ripoff movies like fart wars, harry pothead, bouring supremecy, horde of the dings, mambo and rocksoff 1,2,3,4,5...how many is there? Etc and et al.

September 5, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. Whiz1

I just saw it today! This is a real GRINDHOUSE film. It takes you on a bizarre ride, but it's a movie definitely not to be taken too seriously...only the dialogue talking about mexican immigration. If you don't have a stomach for this level of brutal violence I suggest you don't see it. It took me a minute to decide if I want to see it, but overall I thought the film was alright. Too bloody if you ask me, though.

September 4, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. dstroyr

SAW IT ON A BOOTLEG.. WORST MOVIE EVER!! I WANT MY 2 HRS BACK!

September 4, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  19. ffdxv

viva el cucharacha marron!! viva la raza!! viva mierda marron!!! might want to put down th crack pipe once in a while , spear chucker b–tch!!!

September 4, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. ILLAGEN`

SAW IT ON A BOOTLEG.. WORST MOVIE EVER!! I WANT MY 2 HRS BACK!

September 4, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • mejazzbo

Most bootlegs are. Why listen to a film thief's negative opinion of a fun film.

September 4, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • green_world

couldn't agree more! i want my ten dollars back!!!

September 5, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Frank

I'm definitely seeing this when I get a chance. Who can pass up Michelle Rodriguez as a taco truck driving revolutionary?

September 4, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. Johhny

I couldnt believe this article dont even even mention Steven Seagal's name, One of the best Action Hero in Hollywood!
    Oh well, I plan to go and see it this weekend.

September 3, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Brian

Pass – Sorry but using the same character name the actor had in Spy Kids? Maybe on cable, but not $10+ at the theater.

September 3, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  24. asdf

Are cheesy martian vampires going to jump out and ruin the plot like most Rodriguez movies? The guy is Ed Wood with a Mexican flair and less compassion., After spoiling the 2nd half of Dusk til Dawn I vowed to never pay full price for one of this guys movies again.

September 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • doug

Grow up and watch something that your mommy wouldn't approve of for the first time in your life...you cant live forever enjoy some good time entertainment other then the opera or balet

September 13, 2010 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  25. Jeanine G

It was AWESOME...my son and I were rolling! De Niro is enjoying every second of his time on screen, Seagal is a scream...and this new guy Ron...Don..Johnson well I expect we'll see great things from him in the future.

September 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mejazzbo

I saw it this afternoon. A high quality grind house style film. Super pretty girls, lots of blood and some very hammy acting (especially by Robert De Niro). I loved the opening credit that said, "and Introducing Don Johnson". But it's Danny Trejo's turn to shine in this one. And shine he does! We die hard Trejo fans say, it's about time. This film is no Oscar pic. But, it is a roller coaster fiction fest that at first glance appears that it might involve real immigration issues. As it turns out the film is far to goofy for any kind of serious political attention. Well worth the price of admission!

September 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Lou C.Fer

I'm definitely seeing this, I hope it makes up for the Expendables! Cheesy dialogue, action packed, gratuitous violence & tigobitties...... What else can a young man ask for for..... The complete opposite of Inception! And just as enjoyable! Like an In & Out Burger to A nice Filet Mignon. Both enjoyable on different levels!

September 3, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |