Michael Lohan plans to open faith-based rehab
September 3rd, 2010

Michael Lohan plans to open faith-based rehab

He may not have been able to keep his own daughter out of trouble, but Lindsay Lohan's dad Michael Lohan is hoping to help others by opening a faith-based rehab facility in L.A.

"I know this is what God wants me to do first and foremost," 50-year-old Lohan, who has also battled drugs and alcohol, tells Us Weekly. "After seeing what my daughter, myself, and other people I know have been through, it has led me to realize this is my calling and purpose in life."

The center will not have doctors or conduct medical treatments but will instead be a spiritual retreat, focusing on mind, body and soul, and including activities such as yoga and kickboxing.

"The basis of the rehab will be that there is a God; that good conquers evil; that the best way to live is to treat others like you want to be treated; and treat your body like a temple," explains Lohan, who says the facility won't cater strictly to A-listers.

"I'm not going to close my doors on anyone. We may offer a scholarship [to those in need]," he explains. "You don't have to be Lindsay Lohan or Nicole Richie or Robert Downey Jr. or a celebrity to get rehab."

1. shaunshelly

This man is dangerous. I have written about this type of "recovery" in this article: Faith Based Rehabs: What, in God's Name, is Going On

February 8, 2013 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bud

Wow. It sure took him a long time to realize the financial angle of "Therapy."

September 14, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dorian canalizo

What garbage. This whole family is insane. People would only go there because his name is Lohan. Our culture emulates of bunch of losers.

September 6, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

Putting faith into God to try to solve your problems leads to...more problems. You have to find value in yourself as a person to make your life better.

September 6, 2010 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • dorian canalizo

So true, Dave. People follow like sheep, looking for God to make everything better.

September 6, 2010 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. Natch

It's his latest scheme to get his hands on his daughter's money. Loser can't find a real job, he's still trying to ride on LiLo's coat tails, but has only succeeded in riding her life into the gutter.

September 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Anna

All traditional 12-step programs are based on religion anyway so I don't really see a huge difference in this except that it completely ignores the medical problem of addiction in favor of a new "invisible friend" who apparently has more control over your actions than you do if you let him/her.

In my experience, religion causes drug and alcohol use! Pretty soon you get sick of talking to your invisible friend who never answers you and wonder why you devoted so much time to him/her. Rehab should be based on common sense and non-religious support and empower the patient to control their own behavior rather than blindly going with the invisible friend who doesn't exist.

And regardless, Michael Lohan is a piece of crap who is just looking for his 15 min in the spotlight.

September 5, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • BellaBlu

Oh Anna, I feel sad for you. It is obvious that either you have never worked a 12 step program properly or you are judging something you know nothing about. 12step programs have brought hope, strength and sobriety (in whatever form necessary) to millions of people. I belong to a 12 step program and have no religious dedications at all. But I am working the program and I am suceeding. Being spiritual and being religious are two very different things. You sound bitter and very unhappy. You must have had a very bad experience. But that was YOUR experience.

September 15, 2010 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cedric Katesby

There is no magic invisible sky-daddy.
    Mumbling to the ceiling doesn't help.
    Blow "faith" out your butt for all the good it wil do.
    People with medical problems like addictions need professional reality-based medical support, not mumbo-jumbo incantations.
    Aspirin will cure your headache just as effectively as prayer and aspirin.

September 5, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kriss

He's a joke! Low life, son of a b-tch!

September 4, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Frank

Amy Winehouse is going to be their second patient, after Lindsay.

September 4, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. they tried to make me go to rehab

and I said no, no, no!

September 4, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  11. babybackbs

yo michael lohan. go crawl under a rock and die

September 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ron Jeremy

Hey dude, I did your daughter... So have my friends, and their friends.

September 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sarcastic Sue

Sure you will Michael. And it will be successful and 100% legitimate and always follow every law of the land, of God and of recovery. While you are busy with that, I'll find a way to turn cheese into fuel, teach cats how to sly spaceships and find a way for peace in the Middle East.

September 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. lllleens

faith based ?? Follow a 12 step program,work the program have a good support system & you'll be sober.Faith is important but Michael lohan is a fool

September 3, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • BellaBlu

I totally agree. 12 Step programs work, IF YOU WORK THE STEPS. There is no shady motive behind them, they work if you work it. And the best part is they are free....you give what you can. Bill W figured it out and millions of others have since he started it. Is Michael Lohan trying to reinvent the wheel?

September 15, 2010 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
  15. [lol]

Why do I sense that there is some ulterior motive behind this decision?

September 3, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

Because it is. No doctors just faith based by someone who looks like he has not seen god since he signed the first contact for Lindsay. This is probable just a way for him to get money.

September 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |