As we're sure you've heard, it's "90210" day!
The franchise has a lot to celebrate: Its original incarnation, which premiered in 1990, is celebrating its 20-year anniversary. The new “90210” premiered exactly two years ago today; and The CW network has altered tonight’s programming schedule to make sure an episode of “90210” airs on 9/02/10. Season three is set to premiere Monday September 13 with the main cast starting senior year at the fictitious West Beverly Hills High School.
Even the city of Beverly Hills itself is celebrating its zip code with festivities hosted by Ryan Seacrest, who will present CNN’s Larry King with a key to the city.
Sports and pop culture columnist Bill “The Sports Guy” Simmons is even devoting his ESPN podcast entirely to “Beverly Hills, 90210” today.
9/02/10 only happens once a century, so here are some suggestions of ways to celebrate – old school “90210”-style. (Note: some are way more plausible than others):
• Whenever there’s a lull in the festivities, break into a rousing chorus of “Donna Martin Graduates!”
• Wear “Mom Jeans”
• Are you roughly 30-years-old? Why not enroll in your local high school?
• Get into a fight with your BFF right before the festivities. Then, arrive wearing the same dress.
• Get into Yale but select the fictitious California University instead.
• See if the following license plate is available: I8A4RE
• Go to a rundown bodega and tell the cashier you want to exchange an egg.
• Re-live Brenda’s slumber party: Dance to “Mony Mony” (the Billy Idol version), break out the Ouija board, play Skeletons in the Closet (Warning: this game can get pretty intense).
• Go to a French bistro, order what you think is veal; spit it out on your plate when you realize it is brain.
• Make out to REM’s “Losing My Religion.”
• Decide, on a whim, to open up your own boutique. Then sew a shop full of trendy clothing in two days, just in time for your grand opening.
• Build Kelly’s Disaster Diorama: While her character on the new “90210” is safely ensconced in her role as mother (Dylan’s the dad!) and guidance counselor at West Beverly, her teens and 20s were no Hallmark card. She got caught in a fire, raped, shot, kidnapped, hooked on cocaine and even joined a cult at one point.
• Show your pride by checking out some online initiatives devoted to the show. Some favorites are: "90210" inspired pieces from Henry Holland’s fashion line, Isaac Mizrahi’s recreation of Brenda and Kelly’s prom dress, and Facebook’s “Get Mel Silver (Matthew Laurance) on the new '90210!'”
• The menu? Peach Pit-style Megaburgers, of course! The recipe consists of a bun with a burger patty placed on top; add with another patty topped with melted American and Swiss cheeses. Top it off with tomato, lettuce, Bermuda onion and the other half of the bun. And for dessert: popcorn smushed in ice cream, Donna Martin’s personal favorite.
• Musical playlist: Rock out to the musical stylings of Ray Pruit, David Silver, Jasper’s Law, Cain was Able, any band that headlined at the Peach Pit After Dark - and of course, Color Me Badd.
Got something to add to the list? Want to share your fondest “90210” memories? Leave a comment!
What classic books should I read to improve my creative writing?
Great article! njvgojkgf
VISIT THIS SITE IF YOU DARE: href.hu/x/d29m
FYI Jackie is an Episcopal priest in my town right outside DC, just saw her at a yoga class last week. She looks GREAT!
Why would anyone celebrate this banal crap?
How about Donna Martin getting drunk at prom! Classic!
I was in the same grade as these guys. Everytime I see the graduation episode re-runs, I get teary-eyed. I remember them driving up the hill to change the Hollywood sign after graduatioin. I wish they would have kept Brandon a little longer. The new one has nothing on the old 90210.
I get misty-eyed thinking of poor Scott Scanlon.. dumped by his best friend David, then accidentally shooting himself at his own b-day party. Remember the memorial time capsule they planted in his name? (sigh...)
Horrible show.....that I started watching right out of high school! Pathetic as it was, my girlfriend and I watched it faithfully. She hated the fact that I wanted to nail Donna! (C'mon...who didn't)
Ewww. Botched boob job!
David's cheating and dillon's best advice ever..."You can feel guilty, just don't act guilty."
Well my favorite episode had 2 be when the Walsh family almost moved back 2 Minnesota. Andrea finally showed her true feelings 2 Brandon. That was one relationship that I wish would of happened. I still watch 90210 on SOAPNET. I like the College years on 90210 but the High School years were the best. As long as they keep showing all the episodes of 90210 on SOAPNET I will keep watching. Thanks 4 the memorys 90210!!!
Wow, 90210, was the greatest, Im 27 now and i remember watching growing up. Now i watch the all the reruns on soapnet. MY best episodes, are when dylan and kelly hook up, so much drama!!!!
so what happens on 90310?
To be honest this was my older sister's favorite show when we were growing up but my first born beautiful baby girl was born tonight at 10:11PM 9-02-10 so that's my reason to celebrate this day!
CONGRATULATIONS ROBERT & FAMILY!
Watch Ian Ziering aka Steve talk up the Boca Raton Wine and Food Festival on October 10, 2010. http://www.BocaRatonWineAndFoodFestival.com Watch Ian's Video
Happy 90210 day! Donna Martin Graduates!
Poor Kelly. They put that girl through so much. She was an after school special in herself. I personally liked bad girl Valerie. Huge departure from when she was Kelly on Saved By The Bell, but the girl certainly knew how to have fun and create some drama in 90210. Damn I miss this show! http://simplysolo.wordpress.com
Show was gay.
Loved 90201. Watched it all the time did not miss a single episode. They started so cute and end with the marriage of Donna and David ... Cheers!
LOVED this show. I always thought Dylan was so cool, and Brandon was my hero even with his idealistic views. The music by The Rave-Ups during the Spring Dance was awesome. And who didn't have a crush on high school Tori Spelling before she got all fake? Steve and his legacy key, David and his Vanilla Ice act, I could go on and on....what a show!
they were so cute when younger, wonder what they are doing now...?
akward but Aaron Spelling is dead. Which caused a 90210 drama between Tori and her mommy – perhaps what was being written was true about their relationship.
The burgers in the diner were from fatburger. I know I use to go and pick them up.
Never got laid so much except after this lame ass show – my ex girlfriend's favorite. Thank you Aaron Spelling, wherever you are!
This is one of the best shows ever! They're all "friends in my head". Such great memories coming of age with this show...Happy 90210 day!!!!
Jackie's outlandish behavior at the fashion show after she plowed some snow in the bathroom.
David Silvers face when he was dancing at the winter ball
Nobody is too cool for school @90210!!!
Harvey is too cool for that role.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.
Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.
Join 7,746 other followers