September 2nd, 2010
03:20 PM ET
As we're sure you've heard, it's "90210" day!
The franchise has a lot to celebrate: Its original incarnation, which premiered in 1990, is celebrating its 20-year anniversary. The new “90210” premiered exactly two years ago today; and The CW network has altered tonight’s programming schedule to make sure an episode of “90210” airs on 9/02/10. Season three is set to premiere Monday September 13 with the main cast starting senior year at the fictitious West Beverly Hills High School.
Even the city of Beverly Hills itself is celebrating its zip code with festivities hosted by Ryan Seacrest, who will present CNN’s Larry King with a key to the city.
Sports and pop culture columnist Bill “The Sports Guy” Simmons is even devoting his ESPN podcast entirely to “Beverly Hills, 90210” today.
9/02/10 only happens once a century, so here are some suggestions of ways to celebrate – old school “90210”-style. (Note: some are way more plausible than others):
• Whenever there’s a lull in the festivities, break into a rousing chorus of “Donna Martin Graduates!”
• Wear “Mom Jeans”
• Are you roughly 30-years-old? Why not enroll in your local high school?
• Get into a fight with your BFF right before the festivities. Then, arrive wearing the same dress.
• Get into Yale but select the fictitious California University instead.
• See if the following license plate is available: I8A4RE
• Go to a rundown bodega and tell the cashier you want to exchange an egg.
• Re-live Brenda’s slumber party: Dance to “Mony Mony” (the Billy Idol version), break out the Ouija board, play Skeletons in the Closet (Warning: this game can get pretty intense).
• Go to a French bistro, order what you think is veal; spit it out on your plate when you realize it is brain.
• Make out to REM’s “Losing My Religion.”
• Decide, on a whim, to open up your own boutique. Then sew a shop full of trendy clothing in two days, just in time for your grand opening.
• Build Kelly’s Disaster Diorama: While her character on the new “90210” is safely ensconced in her role as mother (Dylan’s the dad!) and guidance counselor at West Beverly, her teens and 20s were no Hallmark card. She got caught in a fire, raped, shot, kidnapped, hooked on cocaine and even joined a cult at one point.
• Show your pride by checking out some online initiatives devoted to the show. Some favorites are: "90210" inspired pieces from Henry Holland’s fashion line, Isaac Mizrahi’s recreation of Brenda and Kelly’s prom dress, and Facebook’s “Get Mel Silver (Matthew Laurance) on the new '90210!'”
• The menu? Peach Pit-style Megaburgers, of course! The recipe consists of a bun with a burger patty placed on top; add with another patty topped with melted American and Swiss cheeses. Top it off with tomato, lettuce, Bermuda onion and the other half of the bun. And for dessert: popcorn smushed in ice cream, Donna Martin’s personal favorite.
• Musical playlist: Rock out to the musical stylings of Ray Pruit, David Silver, Jasper’s Law, Cain was Able, any band that headlined at the Peach Pit After Dark - and of course, Color Me Badd.
Got something to add to the list? Want to share your fondest “90210” memories? Leave a comment!
About this blog
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.