Jessica Alba on playing a Latina in 'Machete'
September 2nd, 2010

Jessica Alba on playing a Latina in 'Machete'

Jessica Alba’s turn in “Machete” – which opens in theaters tomorrow – certainly won’t be her first time teaming up with director Robert Rodriguez; the 29-year-old actress has also worked with the filmmaker for “Sin City” and “Spy Kids 4.”

But "Machete" is nonetheless a change of pace for Alba because she's playing a Latina in the movie - a role she's avoided in the past.

"For me, I never wanted to reinforce any stereotypes about Latin women, and that was why I've shied away from Latin characters I've been offered,” Alba, who is half-Mexican, explained to USA Today. “Most of them reinforced the stigmas. The women whom I grew up with are intelligent, strong women, and unless I read a woman being portrayed that way in a film, I didn't want to play it.”

Her character, Sartana, is an immigration and customs enforcement officer that Alba describes as “an intelligent, fierce, independent woman.”

“There's enough people that will reinforce those stereotypes, and I didn't need to participate in that,” Alba told the paper. “This woman is just as fierce as the men, and so I'm proud to bring that to life and put that imagery in people's heads."

Alba said she’s grown even more aware of the types of characters she plays ever since she had her daughter, Honor Marie, two years ago with husband Cash Warren, 31.

"I have made, since I've had my daughter…a concerted effort to concentrate on the filmmaker, first and foremost, and the role and the story,” she said in the interview. "Before, my priority was very business-driven and business-oriented, and now it's about evolving as an actor more than anything.”

Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. Lacie Zachery

nice

September 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. PH Test :

i just love the lip of eva mendes, those are very kissable lips :

November 1, 2010 at 1:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. RHINO32

JESSICA ALBA IS FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BY RHINO :)

October 31, 2010 at 7:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. esta

Free Online movies

October 10, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. viewsUcanuse

&, we're done here. goodbye everyone from...ThEhOtLiSt! See you next week!

September 5, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. eYe agree

you couldn't

September 5, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. viewsUcanuse

how could i forget her?

September 5, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. eYe agree

& don't forget mila kunis, the hot hot hot russian export!

September 5, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. viewsUcanuse

aYe aYe aYe, eYe agree.

September 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. eYe agree

yes, & when they did, eYe agreed with them.

September 5, 2010 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. viewsUcanuse

has anyone ever told you you're very agreeable?

September 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. eYe agree

eYe agree, we shouldn't go overboard.

September 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. viewsUcanuse

well, let's not go overboard eYe.

September 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. eYe agree

i know! it's almost as if we're the same person!

September 5, 2010 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. viewsUcanuse

& u r an excellent @ perceiving what an excellent judge of hotnessness i am!

September 5, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  16. eYe agree

u r an excellent judge o' hotnessness!

September 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. viewUcanuse

i know!

September 5, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  18. eYe agree

views u r correct, turtle's girlfriend on entourage is quite the hotness...check her out

September 5, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. viewsUcanuse

i saw machete & she was fine in it for what the part was, a little eye candy. she was also fine in sin city & that year, before she got ultra skinny, she was incredibly hot. she's not a bad actress though i don't really see a lot of depth in her abilities, but if she sticks to these kinds of roles, she should be okay. as far as her not liking being called mexican, who cares? that's her preference, it shouldn't preclude her from getting movie roles. & what's happened to michelle rodriguez? somehow, her features have softened starting with Avatar, & now she is piping hot. amazing what a little weight & curviness can do for a woman. she was actually hotter than jessica alba in machete. let's see, what else? nope, that's it. so, in conclusion: alba+rodriguez=latina hotness of the highest order. oh, & don't forget rosario dawson. & dania ramirez from entourage...=OhMyGod, she is 2 hot. & richard gere's girlfriend in brooklyn's finest, Shannon Kane, (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/_kINQiiWPbz/New+York+City+Premiere+Milton+Hershey+School/CaKMMjeK4QR/Shannon+Kane) Ssssss. i realize she's not latina & this has suddenly become a forum for who i think is hot, but, there you have it. tHeHoTlIsT

September 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Stephanie

Jessica Alba is an okay actress, not the best though. However from her past interviews she has made it very clear that she is not proud of her heritage. I think her role should have gone to someone who is proud of their heritage, like Eva Mendez. Not to someone who has said they do not like being called Mexican even if she still has Mexican blood in her. I was born in the US but both of my parents are Colombian.... just because I was born in the US does not all of sudden make me 100% American, I know where my roots are.

September 5, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  21. Veronica

Does it really matter what her race is?

September 4, 2010 at 12:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. Alba

She is not 100% Mexican. I do believe she has some Peurto Rican in her as well.

September 3, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  23. aNobodyinFlorida

Jessica Alba is one of the most beautiful woman in Hollywood/World and more importantly everyone who has worked with her says she is a good person with a good heart..Her acting is also improving so I hope she gets better roles.Lindsey Lohan could learn some life lessons from Jessica Alba.I heard the movie is not so good though which is unusual for a film with Robert Deniro.

September 3, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • jjm

Lindsey may be a drunk/drug addict, but she is not a hypocrite, who bad mouths her own race. At least Lelo did not get preggers before she got married!!!

September 7, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Gluteus maximus

A nice a$$ doesn't make you a good actress, but it can certainly land you a job...

September 3, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  25. Ryukhan (Biggest Fan Overseas)

Jessica Alba won my vote ever since Dark Angel. She has progressed in all facets of T.V. and film, and she continues to broaden her scope as an actress and a mom. Jessica, as you always do, keep doing what you are doing, looking forward to 'Machete'.

September 3, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  26. Odalice Feliz

well she is Mexican people!!!

September 2, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

what the Hell is that supposed to mean?!

September 3, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
    • rak

What about You? you're name is sure fugly. I bet you are a fat slob and im pretty sure you smell like doritos!

September 3, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  27. Frank

I, too, have been a fan of hers since Dark Angel. This movie is shaping up to be good.

@"that kid of hers":
    Her and her child are just lovely. You don't talk about children that way. What's wrong with you?

September 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. that kid of hers

is so freakin UGLY! I'm sorry I know thats an awful thing to say about someone's kid but everytime I see her in mags with Honor (an even uglier name) I just want to write the editor and tell her to photoshop that kid... ughhhhh!

September 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • JMC

@that kid of hers.......LMAO, thank you for giving me a good laugh, but you're bad, hehehehe

September 7, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. nessa

she's an alright actress, but to be honest she hasn't been cast in roles because of her academy award acting... maybe she will finally surprise her fans with this movie.

September 2, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jessica Alba's biggest fan

You go Jess! I've been a huge fan since Dark Angel back in the early 2000's! Looking forward to more great movie roles. I'm a completely straight girl but I would definitely get it on with Miss Alba...

September 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • jjm

you and maybe 6 other people watced DA, it was horrible!!!! She is such a hypocrite,and bad mouths her co stars. She is just another Jessica that sucks as a actreess. Jessica Biel, Jessica Simpson. She and Jennifer Anniston should get the Razzie award this year for most pityfull actress

September 7, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Bob

Jessica Alba is the worst female actress out there, can't believe she still gets work.

September 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |