Sandra Bullock: Everything works out
August 31st, 2010

Sandra Bullock: Everything works out

After laying low for the better part of 2010, Sandra Bullock gave her first televised, sit-down interview on the "Today" show this morning.

The philanthropist and new mom to adopted son Louis, who Bullock calls a “little Cajun cookie,” spoke with Matt Lauer in New Orleans about life after her split with Jesse James.

However, the motorcycle mogul’s name wasn’t mentioned during Lauer’s time with Bullock. Instead, the “Today” host focused on the new man in Bullock’s life: her son.

“The process is the way that the process is for very, very good reasons,” Bullock said. “And I did not circumvent. I wanted to do everything exactly the same way everyone else did. It was nice to have someone say, ‘I think you’re a fit parent,’ which is what I heard.”

When asked how she knew she would be paired with the right child, Bullock said, “Everything works out the way the universe wants it to work out. And we always said that it didn’t matter where the child came from. The child that needed us and the home is the child that’s going to be placed.”

Bullock added: “He has a healthy poop schedule.” Just in case you were wondering.

But how did the actress manage to hide the adoption from gossip-hungry tabloids?

“To keep a secret, it takes good people with integrity,” she said. “I was blessed with the same friends I’ve had since before things got really special for me and blessed in life, and when things got bad, they’re still the same friends.”

Bullock also talked about her work with a New Orleans high school and board member Arthur Hardy, who sat in on the interview.

Hardy told Lauer that, despite not believing it was Bullock on the phone the first time she called, she has helped completely turn the school around.

“This whole city has fallen in love with her,” Hardy said. “She belongs to us. Don’t mess with Sandra.”

1. LizInStl

Wow Jennifer! Hate much? Either you think so highly of yourself that it's OK to put down even the nicest of people and intentions or you're just a jealous b*#ch

November 12, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. guest

Just wondering when the whole world will crawl out of Sandra Bullocks butt?

September 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jaye

I never thought of her as anything other than an average actress; nothing has changed that. She seems to be a nice persons, charitable and down to earth, but I don't love her because I don't know her.. More people are fawning over her since her husband cheated on her and all of a sudden loves her although she has been around 20 years. They're turning her into another Jennifer Aniston; even called her America's Sweetheart. Everyone is willing to give her a break because of her failed marriage and that's ok, but don't turn her into some type of ICON; she's just an average actress, who got burned by a man who anyone else would have known was bad news. She made a bad mistake, let's not pat her on the back for it. Jennifer********* as for her adopting a black baby and not a WHITE one, where do you live? There are people lining up to adopt white babies; they're not being neglected. The color of the child shouldn't matter, but it does, white babies have a waiting list; no such thing with Black babies, especially Black boy babies.

September 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Realist

The Black community (of which I am a member) should be saddened by the knowledge of so many Black babies awaiting adoption, if that is indeed the case. I suspect, however, that it's more popular to adopt an infant of any race compared to adopting an older child of any race. THAT'S where the challenge lies; one which fewer people (celebrities and non-celebrities) seem willing to take on.
      As for saying Ms. Bullock made a "bad mistake" in choosing her former husband....the posters on this comment list do not personally know either of the people about whom we're posting. Something to keep in mind.

October 20, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rastas

She sucks...both literally and figuratively.

September 7, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. dEE

I have to say that some of these posts are terrible.
    She adopted a child to love and raise and grow old with. Who cares where he is from and what his race it.
    Think of all the heartache and misery that millions and millions of fellow human beings endure daily. And then re-read some of the crap that is on here.

September 7, 2010 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. spunky2u

FYI Sandy is not worried about your opinions about her adoption, life, money, lifestyle, etc. Just a news flash. Oh, one more thing, when you want to be childish and ignorant at least spell the words correctly. On the other hand if you continue to write in this manner I do find it humorous and thank you for a good laugh.

September 1, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. KLDL

It is easier to be generous when you have plenty ... but there are too many people who are not generous with their wealth and love even then. The trick is to live and give as if you had unlimited resources ... it all comes back and more.

August 31, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jennifer

Delta, you hear the truth. Something you're not use to hearing I guess. That's sad to be so sheltered with your head in the sand.

August 31, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Delta

You can hear plenty of things without allowing it to affect your thoughts and actons. If you call someone who is not bigotted sheltered; then I guess I am. There are plenty of people that I despise, but I base my feelings on their actions.

September 1, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nameherprice

isn't she a special little buttercup

August 31, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nic

I think those that do charitable work that are not celebs deserve to be celebrated. Its true that wealth makes it so much easier to give and provide time to serve. It is nice though to see more stories like this and less of the Paris and Lindsay nonsense.

August 31, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

I am sure I will catch flack for this, but I am sick to death of her. She is not the only person to have been cheated on. I am still at a lost as to why she wanted a black baby when there are so many white children that need a good home. I know she stated once that she wanted a baby that was most in need. What...do white ones? I have a hard time with empathy when she is a multi millionaire. Boo hoo in one of your many mansions.

August 31, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Delta

I hear envy and racism. A good parent doesn't care what a child looks like. Heck – a good person doesn't care what another looks like...

Sandra, you have earned a special place in the hearts of New Orleanians. Always know that when times are tough, there are a couple million people here that are on your side and willing to help.

August 31, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

It is not all about African American or Caucasian. What about Asian or Mexican, etc. that need a good home? Hell, I am over 30, she could have adopted me.

August 31, 2010 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • CR

Jealous much?

August 31, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hutch

All you did, Jennifer, was make us curious about a. how racist you are and b. how low your yearly income is.

If you're financially in the crapper, I don't see how spewing venom at rich people is going to help you. Get your s**t together.

September 7, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. JJ

She really appears to be down to earth. I admire her humble qualities, and the way she talks about her friends, and refers to her celebrity as "Things got really special for me". Makes you kind of cheer for her. Sandra has always seemed like the girl next door. whats not to like?

August 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. taylynn

Thank you Sandra for your love of New Orleans. Thank you goes out to everyone for their hard work and prayers in our recovery. KEEP PRAYING!

August 31, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JKM

Not interested. This happens to people women and men on a daily basis. The only difference is that she is a celebrity and..... that's it.

August 31, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jamie

I enjoy the fact that even though we want to hear the dirt, she gracifully never provides it. I admire her even more than I did before Jesse. She is beautiful, loving, kind, and amazing. Her little boy will grow up knowing what true deep love really is.
    And the money comments, go make some and then donate to worthy causes. She has worked hard for her money, and she spends it in ways that make her feel good about it.
    I wish I could meet her, she would be such a wonderful positive influence in so many peoples lives. Hope she finds her life long companion!

August 31, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. catman

Portalpunk just proves how much ignorance is out there! I am in love with Sandra Bullock and wish her only the best in both her personal and professional life. I only wish I would have had the opportunity to meet her when I was single.

August 31, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  17. bailoutsos

Sandra, can I also be your "Little Cajun Cookie?"

August 31, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tele

Nice, but again when u have money you can do or choose to not do.

August 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jen

I know what Mr Hardy meant! Here in New Orleans we take care of those who take care of us... Native or not! Its not often that you see tabloid pics of celebs here because no price is high enough for us to allow them to be taken. For all our parades and festivals there is a strong sense of loyalty and family here. I've seen her just this week but so what! Like he said , "don't mess with Sandra! She belongs to us!"

August 31, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alyce

No one could have said it better than Sandra. She has courage and faith. To me, she seems like the girl next store who is a warm hearted and just a terrific person to be arouund. I wish Sandra only the very, very best in life, motherhood and her career.

August 31, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. THERESA BURGESS

she deserves to be happy and what a beautiful baby, to show up right when she needed him.

August 31, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Marnie

How could anyone not love this lady.

August 31, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  23. battman

I would marry her and I have never met the woman. She has morals, Hollywood or not, its getting tough to find someone with them!

August 31, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Kristin

She is one of the few that are not swept up on the Hollywood of life.... very laid back and down to earth adn philanthropic. Glad she has found her inner peace and something better to live for than her no ex-husband.

August 31, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Theresa

I'm glad she is happy and getting back to her life; she is a very classy lady, and I wish her only the best :)

August 31, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  26. travhops

What a special lady she is!

August 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. portalpunk

"...She belongs to us. Don’t mess with Sandra.” what a dumb quote, that guy must be a wet nurse.

August 31, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

No surprise your nickname has "punk" in it!

August 31, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdplayer727

What a dumb comment!

August 31, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • What?

A wet nurse? How is that an insult? Is he so feminine that he lactates? That doesn't make any sense.

August 31, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Linda

doing your mom? seriously, that is an insult that a nine year-old lobs at another nine year old! you have too much time on your hands, and are a sad, lonely person.

August 31, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

What's not to love about Sandy! She is the American dream girl every man would love to marry. She as the class, the talent and very nice on the eyes too at any age – what's not to love.

August 31, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amazed!!

Can't anyone say something nice to another person without "outsiders" saying something nasty back! Try being a LOT more positive.....you just might make more friends and not be so lonely and hateful :-(

August 31, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • trix are for kids

portalpunk, I was wondering when you'd get back to trolling.

August 31, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  28. say whaaat?!

How rude and ageist. Sure you get TONS of dates-not.

August 31, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jennifer

Oh she's not barren, she just wanted to give a poor little baby a chance. Wink wink.

August 31, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |