Rolling Stone goes mad for 'Mad Men'
August 31st, 2010

Rolling Stone goes mad for 'Mad Men'

While just about everyone knows who they are now, there was a time when the entire cast of “Mad Men” were relative unknowns.

Rolling Stone talks to the actors about that rise from obscurity and delves into the hotness that is the AMC critically acclaimed show in a new “Mad Men” cover story due to hit the stands on September 1.

Accompanied by a set of black and white, behind the scenes photos, the article tells the tale of the three seasons of the smash show which made celebrities out of its stars. "If Rob Lowe had been cast in the part, it would have been different," Jon Hamm, who plays Don Draper, told the magazine. "There was no back story with me."

Some of the cast still manage to pull off anonymity despite the popularity of the Emmy-winning show.

"One of my few vanities is going to a party and people not realizing I'm the person they saw in ‘Mad Men,’” said Vincent Kartheiser who plays Pete Campbell.

The “Mad Men” cover story joins just one of several television shows to recently grace the cover of Rolling Stone including a recent story about the stripped-down cast of another hit cable television drama, “True Blood.”

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. sit exercises

I don't know if you've heard of Varolo: (http://www.varollo.com) yet, but it is a way to make money by watching commercials online. It is invite only so I'm extending my invitation to everyone that wants to take advantage the new advertising method that Varolo is offering and to make some extra cash. If you visit Varolo, you can see their video on more of what I'm talking about, how it works and the potential you have to make some decent money. Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.

Thanks,
    -J

September 8, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ann

The lady in the pink dress looks like a witch.

September 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SometimesElla

It's so sad that the photo editor felt the need to so overshop those people. They're all pretty good looking and this photo doesn't do them justice. Christina Hendricks looked lovely at the Emmys, when the video people weren't erasing forty pounds off of her. The amount of weight shaved off of her in this photo makes her look disproportionate and alien-like. Sad, sad, sad.

September 1, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Chubby

Six great reasons to watch the show!

September 1, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. samuels

Best. Show. Ever!

September 1, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bulloch

Ummm.....where's the story here? Mad Men rulez but I seriously could have lived without this "story"

September 1, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. CNN is a chump

Why does CNN keep sucking up to this show? Is AMC in the CNN 'family' of companies? The show is alright, but there's a story on CNN about this every week, c'mon.

September 1, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. Robert

Someoneelse: you've got that right, good call. Rolling Stone did once have relevance, but so did the New York Times and CBS News. They do put out nice covers, though. All our local TV news seems to be advertising about the parent broadcasting company's upcoming shows. Makes me want to crawl back under the covers with a bit of Shakespeare or Eliot and try to gain perspective...

September 1, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  9. butlerbulldawg74

the only thing that doesn't suck about this show is the hot women – who can't act.

September 1, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. someoneelse

Now that the news is about a cover of a magazine offering news about celebrities, I believe the last gate of hell has opened up. When you really think about what this article is, it's scary.

September 1, 2010 at 7:05 am | Report abuse |
  11. :oP

Does Rolling Stone just reflect how awful the pop and rock world is today that they don't think it offers something more interesting than all the make believe of TV?

September 1, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. gregg

Rolling stone once was a prestigious magazine. Today it is a RAG.

September 1, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. egor

September 1, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. egor

September 1, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. BettyBoop

This is the last time I read an article about an article.

September 1, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. whatnext

vampires, Mad Men – Remember when the cover of Rolling Stone used to be music?

September 1, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. shiger

I 'm a female Manhattanite who worked in NYwith ad agencies in the 60's and know the basic male types. Mad Men is the best depiction of that world, but unfortunately never met anyone as gorgeous as Jon Hamm. As for Peggy in this past episode, it didn't ring true for her to behave that way–it was ridiculous and embarrassing. No female would ever dare to charge ahead so brazenly to my knowledge. Also, "girls" wore half slips and "pantihose" even in the summer. She went right to panties. Were they in a hotel room or in the office?

August 31, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Dennis

I may not like Dolly Parton's music,but I would like to lay my head on those nice big pillows at night!

August 31, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  19. adecastro808

I fear that the show's popularity will cause the show's tenor to "jump the shark" and nothing says mainstream like a Rolling Stone cover. I love the show but like most long running series, ideas, dialogue and characters lose authenticity and become shallow excuses for contrived plotlines. Here's hoping they prove me wrong.

August 31, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blackghost

2 things should keep MM from "jumping the shark". First, Matt Weiner is in control. Second, it's only 10 episodes per season. There's no room for "very special episodes" or stunt casting. I haven't even heard of stars clamoring for special guest appearances.

September 1, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. nunya

BOING!!!

August 31, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Richard

Rolling Stone, liberal rag that is it, is LATE to the party. Those of us who admired the show since day 1 don't need a rehash of it from that magazine now and it's unlikely the unwashed reality show fans will gravitate to a show just because it's in that magazine. However, I know magazines are scrambling to stay alive...

August 31, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. jj

What? John is in that photo???
    (it does look funny when you point it out – but it was a professional photo shoot. Why would they do a paste job? I guess it's the odd angle of him leaning forward, and his shoulders not square, making the head look too big)

August 31, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Mary

This cover looks horribly Photoshopped. What happened to Jon Hamm's neck?

August 31, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Holly Golightly

Bravo, Katharine–well said!!

August 31, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Katharine

Truly one of the greatest TV shows ever. It's like watching a really fantastic movie each week. The way each character is slowly unravelling is absolutely brilliant writing and acting. It's only about the 60s and advertising on the surface. The show is about pain, change, unrealized dreams, and nostalgia, and those are themes any thinking person knows intimately and can appreciate. I think the only characters who'll emerge undefeated out of this crucible will be Peggy and maybe Don–can't wait to find out though!

August 31, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Holly Golightly

Jon Hamm is hotter than a Mississippi forest fire in August...

August 31, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Johnjon

I just have one word for this show............... Brilliant! This is what television should be. Not some half-wit "politician's" daughter "dancing" about on the tube.

August 31, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. deb

Jon Hamm is smokin hot!

August 31, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Holly Golightly

ya you have to watch it from the beginning...the characters are so well developed...I could look at Jon Hamm all my life...Christina Hendricks is truly beautiful...and I would love to see Don roll in the hay with Peggy and Joan (though not necessarily at the same time!) because he has great chemistry with them–especially Peg! Ya, and that guy working with Peg was a complete jerk–I think he was secretly attracted to Peggy! I hope to see more of Sally–she is a phenomenal actress and should be nominated for an Emmy!!!

August 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jeff

Winner BEST drama, BEST writing. Mad Men is truly a diamond in the rough amongst all the reality crap

August 31, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Val-NYC

I've just become a recent convert, having rented on Netflix. I'm currently at the end of season 2 and about to start season 3. (I'm already taping season 4's shows). I just love this series. I was a little girl in the sixties so this also brings back a lot of memories for me. And I worked for BBD&O (Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborne) as an adult. A truly sublime series. Great writing, actors, etc.

August 31, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. os perez

I gotta start watching this tonight, no more to it.

August 31, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. bailoutsos

I read a couple of weeks ago that Jon Hamm was driving around in a shared VW Bug convertible that had no top before he got on another show before Mad Men.

August 31, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Derrick

Christina Hendricks is so beautiful! I could look at her all day!

August 31, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Andy

I cannot get enough of this show. It's my weekly trip back to the '60s, but beyond that I have found myself completely wrapped up in the storylines of everyone, and how we can all relate in some ways to the way things were 40-50 years ago.

And for the record, I'm a gay man, but I think Christina Hendricks is truly one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Gorgeous, voluptuous, and she is proud of it. I just hope like heck that her character and Don do NOT hook up.

August 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greta

Those 3 women on the show/cover are truly beautiful, particularly Cristina Hendricks. The size 0 females and model types are so insignificant next to her. I don't understand why men can even sleep with or go for with the bony model/girls types who don't even look like women.

August 31, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • SometimesElla

And isn't it sad that the photo editors of the world insist on erasing about 30 lbs off her body. This photo makes her look like an alien. Put it side by side with a picture of her at the Emmys where she looked truly stunning. Really sad.

September 1, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  36. Daniel Troppy

It is the most STYLISH series on any network....

August 31, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. hippiechick

Matt, you have to watch it from day one. I love this show. And Peggy was running around sans dress Sunday night, if you missed that....well.... :)

August 31, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marnie

I started liking her more after that. It was like put up or shut up, and she really shut that guy up.

August 31, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Funny you mention that – I checked it out when it first came out and it felt like nothing was happening so I gave up. Then I caught the best of season three and got hooked. Still haven't watched season 1 & 2 yet.

August 31, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Matt McHugh

I don't know... I just can't get with this show after watching a handful of episodes. Technically, it's well-written and executed, but I find it utterly unenjoyable to watch. (And though those cover gals are all magnificent, they don't dress like that on the show, y'know!)

August 31, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Matt McHugh

Hmm... my comment's not displaying. Wonder why.

August 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mark H.

It's even better this season than before.

August 31, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Kathy L

LOVE this show. I do hope Don finds "true" love. (yea right. LOL)

August 31, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ShannonO

Rastas, you're a d*ck.

August 31, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Clete

I can see six reasons to watch that show.

August 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Rastas

Rolling Stone became insignificatn the minute the put Dolly Parton on the cover back in the 70's.

August 31, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

I don't understand Rastas criticizing Rolling Stone for putting one of the finsest singer/songwriters in country music history on the cover. You might not like her work but to say that's when RS jumped the shark is just...stoopid.

August 31, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

Oh, boo hoo. They did not put you on the cover because?

August 31, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • brooke

that's an idiotic comment. you might not like her music or appreciate her songwriting ability, but she was (and still is) a significant artist in country music. not to mention the countless hits she's written for other people. i'm not a country fan, but i can at least acknowledge that she is a prolific artist and has had a major impact on music.

August 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rastas

If you don't understand my meaning, then you all are too young to appreciate how and why RS came to be.

September 1, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  45. Holly Golightly

Wow–they all look fabulous! Spectacular show, incredible actors, fantastic writing. I LOVE this show!

August 31, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |