Nigel Lythgoe blames Simon for Ellen leaving 'Idol'
August 30th, 2010

Nigel Lythgoe blames Simon for Ellen leaving 'Idol'

"American Idol" executive producer Nigel Lythgoe is blaming Simon Cowell for Ellen DeGeneres's exit, claiming the talk-show host departed because she and the cranky Brit just weren't in tune.

"I'm sorry she's gone, to be honest with you," Lythgoe told Deadline.com, "because I think there's a place for Ellen DeGeneres on 'American Idol.' And that is being the voice of the people. She wasn't given a fair opportunity to serve that function. Ellen was constantly apologizing and overwhelmed, I think, by Simon."

According to Lythgoe, the 52-year-old comedian - who asked to be let out of her "Idol" contract a year before it expired - just didn't have chemistry with Cowell, 50, and fellow judges Randy Jackson, 54, and Kara DioGuardi, 39, though Lythgoe said it wasn't DeGeneres's fault. "She was misused," he explained. "And I'm sorry that turned out to be the case."

Though Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler are in the running to replace the departing DeGeneres and Cowell, Lythgoe would prefer to see music legend Elton John join the panel. "He's a favorite of mine," Lythgoe said, adding that John's packed schedule is always the problem.

Regardless of who takes over the vacant seats, it's important that all the judges are in sync. "You're looking for people that will have great chemistry," Lythgoe told CNN, noting that from the very beginning of "Idol," it was the "chemistry created that entire team."

1. Hanging Barrier

I've been browsing online more than three hours lately, yet I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It's lovely price sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you probably did, the net will likely be much more helpful than ever before.

April 6, 2012 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  2. Grambling504

I STOPPED watching this show the last 4 seasons, APPARENTLY they all have TROUBLE picking the right person..Same as DANCING WITH THE STARS... The best dancer usually come in 2nd or 3rd place, the best probably with the most EXPERIENCE IS ""BRANDY""" but will she win ?? No b/c her skin tone is another color from the JUDGES.. So sad for them.

September 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kathy White

I think Chris Isaak is the right choice. Funny as hell and certainly a talented guy who knows the struggles of a musician coming up through the ranks. And his TV show was hilarious.

August 31, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Gail Snail

I didn't think Ellen belonged on this show. Maybe after she cuts a few records she might be.
    Let her judge a comedian show.

August 30, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DDM

Simon, like him or not, was a very big draw on this show. NO more than 3 judges, please! For those who don't seem to know it, Kara is also gone.

August 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. johnskrb

Bring on Howard Stern!

August 30, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Rich

Ellen is gone now? So now the show sucks a little less?

August 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TexAnne

Sorry, but I think this show (AI) has run its course. It's just gotten old. I used to watch it, but the last 2 years I really don't care if I miss an episode or not. Last season, I think I caught maybe 30 minutes worth... and that was about 28 too many.

August 30, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lynn brown

By the way, I just got back from London where I saw the X-Factor for the first time. The London papers cover it as if it were the only news in Britain!
    It might be the only news in Britain as the royals are not too appealing. But I must admit i do adore Simon and American idol is going to finish far behind the more interesting X-Factor.

August 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Rich

That's odd, so why did she leave knowing that it was Simon's last season? Can't blame it all on Simon, besides, it was Simon who made the show. Without him, American Idol's success would have paled in comparison, so, I really think Nigel should stop complaining and figure out how he's going to get this played out show to survive.

August 30, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lynn brown

Not Elton John!!! Let him sing at Tea Party events!

August 30, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  12. michael, D.C.

Elton John is a hack who will do anything for money. Performing at Rush Limbaugh's was quite the performance in self-loathing.

August 30, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • TexAnne

Ha! I think Elton John was laughing all the way to the bank on that deal. I'm sure he said "he** yeah, I'll take that crazy Limbabugh's million dollars (which is what Elton got paid) and lighten his wallet a little." And all the same time Elton has got to be cracking up that here he is gay, and Limbaugh is such an anti-gay basher - surely Limbaugh knew Elton was gay, but then maybe he's really that clueless, who knows.
      I thought it was absolutely great that Elton took his money.

August 30, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. paul

good ridance to ellen degnerate. not only isn't she funny and she is one butt ugly looking thing.

August 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kara d

Well I'm glad she's going, she was jammin up my gig.

August 30, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. matthew

This makes no sense to me...Simon is leaving. If she and Simon had an issue...isn't it in the past? Why would she leave the show because of him, when he's not going to be doing the show anymore?!?!

August 30, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. keith

I can totally believe that – Simon is full of himself and I'm sure in his mind the success of Idol was because of him and him only.......and if Idol fails, it will only inflate his ego even more. Idol is already going down the crapper, but to have it fail when Simon isn't on it anymore, than he will eat that up. Simon already made Paula leave and I can see him causing Ellen to leave

August 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jik

Simon IS the show!!! AI will fall after he leaves.

August 30, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • milkyway

What do you mean '...and if idol fails" The show has been wildly successful, making millions for Simon and dozens of others associated with the show. You would dream of being a camera-man on that show. Go back to mowing the lawn and dreaming about what you will never be.

August 30, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Gabor47

Ellen was funny, but she didn't know anything about music.

August 30, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Jik

I stopped watching the show since Kara DioGuardi joined the team. I really dislike that woman.

August 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  19. dd

After Paula left, it was never going to be the same. Plus, Idol has ran its course. I'm tired of watching it.

August 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  20. ibuk

Lythgoe is the one to blame here, he let Cowell go big mistake he was the show. The second mistake was hiring Degenerate, at least he had the common sense to let her go when she asked, probably cost him less that way. The only was AI will be a success again is to find someone to fill the arrogant Brits shoes.

August 30, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Meanie

I'm pretty sure Ellen was brought on the show to bring the LGBT audience with her. This show is all about marketing and eyes on the tube. If she brought half of her daytime show audience with her then the producers win and of course those people that had to watch her were the losers.

August 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Tybar

Ellen left for one of three reasons (or a combination of...) 1. She'd rather do something else, 2. She wasn't getting paid enough, or 3. They didn't want her back.

August 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jeremy

Sorry but this was a mistake from the start.

When I want to know more about hosting a talk show, appearing in AMEX commercials or anything else that Ellen has experience with, I'll seek her out.

Until then, I want judges that have background in/around the music industry. Otherwise what's the point? Any random person could judge....

August 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Todd

Cowell was leaving, it was planned he would not be returning, how does Cowell become the reason Ellen can't stay?

She sucks as a judge anyway. Bug-eyes, deer in the headlights looks, copied everything Randy said in the performance evals

August 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Jo

She's much to classy for that crap! Simons an idiot. God forbid anyone work their way to the top these days. Sing a couple of songs and your famous, but before that put us through torture. Reality T.V is the end of T.V

August 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  26. sally

Ellen is great in her own venue, and it isn't Idol. I think the whole show will go down the tubes with Simon gone. Randy
    is too annoying and Kara is too full of herself. It was better when Paula was there and there were three judges. Simon
    is brutally honest but also very caring when he needs to be, and no one will be able to take his place..period.

August 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • DDM

Kara is also gone. How come only half the people got that news weeks ago?

August 30, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  27. slc

What is going to cause the death of AI is not the judges. The problem is the voting system. AI seems to take pleasure in announcing an extremely high vote count. The problem is, the voters are for the most part young teens and special interests who overwhelm the telephone system with automated calls causing most every one else's vote to be meaningless. If our votes don't count we lose interest. AI must stop allowing that or it will fail, plain and simple. If AI wants 12 and 13 year olds deciding the winner, they should have a show for 12 and 13 year olds' and leave AI to the adults, and put a stop to auto voting. Who cares if there are only 1 million votes instead of 40 million, at least they would be meaningful votes.

August 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joy

You are so right. No one should be allowed to vote more than once – PERIOD! I think AI should be discontinued. The voting is unfair and no one votes for talent anymore. It's just a popularity contest by all the young ones out there who wouldn't recognize talent if it jumped up and slapped them in the face.

August 30, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. pixenees

Kara put me off, she was just horrible, we have a few better judges in South Africa. Pity you guys cant watch our show, Randall is to die for. Gareth very charming and Mara the big Mama, love them all.

August 30, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Cal

Golly! DO NOT bring in any judges from England for heaven sakes! Is it so hard to find American judges?
    I think Smokey Robinson would be terrific and he seems like such a nice and talented person! He has my vote!

August 30, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jik

AI wasn't successful because of judges who were nice. It was successful because of the chemistry among judges and their opinions counter balanced each other. It started failing when it added Kara DioGuardi. That ruined the show.

August 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. amer

America loves gossip on celebrities and so such. Thats the facts all.

August 30, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  31. funnyme

I stopped watching AI when Kara came on the show. I dont think she was a good choice at all. I thought i would start watching again since they have Ellen but since shes leaving whats the point. No Paula, no Ellen, no watchy AI.

August 30, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  32. x

We always like to watch AI. Not too crazy about Ellen's lifestyle, but she's a good person at heart. General America not really all that excited about gay lifestyles, as showbiz types may think. But lest a person be given the labels, they will comply to a degree.

August 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jik

Being gay isn't a lifestyle. Gays are gays because they were born that way.

August 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  33. testy

Paula....where are you?

August 30, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Paula

Miss me yet?

August 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  35. smm

The show is rigged especially the phone in votes. Many love idol so no matter how you all cry and whine about the show this fact will not change.

August 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. smm

The show is rigged especially the phone in votes. many love idol so no matter how much you cry and whine about the show this will not change.

August 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  37. flase reality

Ellen is so hot though with her big baby blues. ya ok.

August 30, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • MMQ

who cares about her eyes. she's got no boobs and a behind that looks like it belong in granny pannies.

August 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  38. xlr

bs... Simon is leaving Idol – she would not have had to put up with him...

August 30, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Portalpunk

We want a looker, not some old broad. Even Kara's barely toeing the line in the hotness category.

August 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  40. fc

The truth is Simon hates Ellen due to her lesbian traits.

August 30, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  41. intruder 1400

The ugly lesbian has no sense of humor, good ridence.

August 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  42. joe

she's not a looker ..

August 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. dj

o who cares. Hopefully she gets to do more talking fish!

August 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. sheppard

I keep trying to get involved in this show again – and just sadly cannot.... the show has reached the point where NO ONE fits in. It has more than ran its course – let it die!

August 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Wendy

Ding, Ding...here's a thought!!

This may be waaayyy out there BUT why don't we find another "American" to judge "American" Idol.
    Surely there is one somewhere this side of the pond that could do it? Get out of the box... I think Steven Wright would be hysterical.

August 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. cf

I am no fan of American Idol, but I say good riddance to Ellen. As for Simon, I don't know what makes him or anyone think he has a more objective point of view on anything than anyone else. I see no great loss here on either part, really.

August 30, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Nwatkins

Ellen looked out of place. Simon is a "High Heel" kind of man. He's a man and knows what a real woman should look like. I would have been out of place too. Image does matter and so does morals.

August 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Morals? Whose morals? Yours? Because Ellen is gay? Isn't living with someone you aren't married to 'immoral' (according to you) whether you are straight or gay? Simon lives with his girlfriend...... or do you save your 'morals' speech only for gays – isn't that being judgmental? Which is also a lack of morals... what a hypocrite.

August 30, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Denny

she knows nothing about music, she's useless as a judge, good riddance.

August 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Nancy

"Ellen spoke for the people." Ellen never spoke for me Nigel. I have my own voice and my own phone thank you.

August 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  50. sfd54

Who really cares about this? We are a nation of empty people.

August 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jannynet

I love Idol! I love Simon! I love Ellen! That said, i think Ellen was wise to leave. It was fun to have her there but I felt it was a waste of her wit and talent. She didn't really fit!

August 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Rich

And for the record, there's no way I'd watch Idol any more if Elton John joined the panel. That guy has done a lot of good music, but he's a jerk in a way that is in no way amusing. I liked Cowell, but John's personality represents everything undesirable in a fellow human being. J-Lo isn't much better. I think Nigel is really out of touch with what -America- wants.

August 30, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Rich

Give me a break. She quit over a guy who was leaving the show anyway? Even if this were true, she's her own woman. She either has the stuff to be a judge or she doesn't. Clearly she felt she didn't like being a judge or didn't feel capable.

August 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Sandy

Just because he's your favorite, Nigel, doesn't mean he's good for the show. Elton John is too moody and has too many issues to be a good judge and I for one - excuse the term - am tired of the "cranky Brits" spouting off on TV. You have to look at what's good for the show, and he is not. If he's your favorite, then go to his concerts. Doesn't mean the Idol audience wants to experience his moods. Truthfully, for many viewers it is not about the judges and who they are –it's about the talent, the contestants.

August 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Doc

The music biz is not for the weak, lazy, or untalented. Simon's honest appraisals accomplished two important objectives on AI. First, he helped weed out the undeserving and dillusional contestants. Second, he gave the deserving contestants extremely important and helpful advice regarding what they need to know and do in order to be successful. Ellen may have offered kindness to the contestants, but she didn't offer anything that would actually help them succeed in the entertainment industry. Simon will be missed. Ellen will not.

August 30, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. R

Makes no sense at all that Simon would be the reason for her departure, since he's leaving anyway....but whatever the real reason, I say HALLELUJAH! She didn't fit in from the very beginning. It's easy to blame someone else for your own failure. She knew nothing about music and didn't even have anything "comedic" to offer. If she thought she could take Paula's seat and upstage Simon she thought wrong. He made that show without a doubt and she should've been thankful just to be along for the ride.

August 30, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  57. GQWow

Wow, I never realized there were so many tuned into this show in the first place. Even the "men" posting here amaze me. "SNAP" fellows!!! Remember to do your nails...

August 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  58. SBonds

I would like to see a director, a producer, and an agent as judges on this show. They would also have to be performers, themselves, and be award winners in their field. Those are the folks that make the final decisions, anyway, so there wouldn't be all this "if it were up to me" crap. It WOULD BE up to them!

August 30, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Car

Please!!! If Ellen ever saw the show she knew what she was in for. I love Simon. He's the only one that really tells the truth to these people and boy, do they need to know. Some of these people are in their own little dream world and I think Ellen is one of them. Don't get me wrong. I like Ellen but she was wrong for that show. By the way, I like the David Foster idea. I think he would be another person who would be honest and knows the business inside out.

August 30, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kimmie

David Foster was a judge on Simon's Celebrity Duets, and he was nothing but a poor man's Simon. He was blunt and knowledgeable, but also bland and forgettable. He can't captivate and fascinate America the way Simon does.

August 30, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Liz

Ellen had no business being on Idol. She's a comedian and a talk show host. She had no experience in the music business and all she did was repeat what Randy would say about the performance. I'm glad she's gone because now I will watch the show again. All of a sudden Ellen is playing victim about her stint on Idol, as well as her ongoing, neverending, I'm sick of hearing about it, gayness and how those of us who voted for Prop 8 are haters. She continues to make me ill with her constant political jabs against those who disagree with her. She and Kate Gosselin should start a new talk show about how to get what you want by manipulation, victimization, and downright narcissism.

August 30, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • crazeepossum

Precisely. Ellen never should have been brought onboard simply because she's in show business.. Judges should be in the music industry, and preferably songwriters.

August 30, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Brian

Ellen wasn't a good fit, period. The judges aren't supposed to be "the people" thats what the phone lines are for. The judges are supposed to know enough about the music business to give meaningful criticism. Can't blame this on Simon Cowell–Ellen is great at what she does but she's not in the music business and it was a mistake to bring her onto the show.

August 30, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Mark

I'd say, Tommy Mottola to replace Simon, Nia Peeples to replace Paula Abdul.

August 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Ed

I've never watched AI or EDS. Ellen's wife is hot.

August 30, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  64. suzy diamond

That's EXACTLY why Ellen should NOT be on Idol is because (like Nigel said himself) there was NO chemistry between Ellen and the rest of the judges! I was uncomfortable FOR Ellen! It seemed like after commenting on a few of the singers she ran out of what to say! I like Ellen but this was not for her.

August 30, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MS

Wait if Simon is leaving then problem solved?

Also I thought Ellen was off of the show because she knew absolutely NOTHING about the music business???

August 30, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. No Elton John

He's no friend of the American public, and besides, he's outdated and may not connect well with the viewership. I would much rather have Tyler. He can be the new cranky old man on the staff.

As people have said before, why would Ellen be asked to be let out of the contract with Simon known to be leaving? Come on, CNN, what kind of reporting is this? No wonder you are a shell of the network you used to be.

Oh well, back to FNN.

August 30, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Paris

THANK YOU SIMON!

August 30, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Harrogate32

Why is this show still on the air?

August 30, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Tyler Fan

The headline should have been "Nigel Lythgoe THANKS Simon for Ellen leaving 'Idol'. Ellen is great on her own show but she blew on Idol. And to say she left due to anything Simon-related is a farce because she (and everyone) already knew he wouldn't be back this seaon anyway. Too bad she couldn't just take the responsibility for saying "I stank as a judge" instead...

August 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  70. BertieNumNums

The perfect judge for AI would have to be Frank Zappa. His knowledge of music was awesome and he was not afraid to call it like it is. Unfortunately Frank is no longer with us, but his musical legacy still is. The thing is, as we see more and more each year, do the judges really matter anymore. I mean, all the 12 year olds out there who vote a million times each for their heart throb render the judges pretty obsolete. Why don't we pick 3 12 year olds, at least they would probably get it right most of the time, unlike the present lot of judges (except maybe Simon).

August 30, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • lacrosseson

Other than never having a pop hit, never being part of the pop culture, and being dead for 17 years, I suppose Frank Zappa would make a perfect American Idol judge. Heck, why didn't you just suggest Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, or Janice Joplin?

August 30, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Joy

Nigel this is jejenum babblement, go away

August 30, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  72. B.J.

I think AI is a waste of goodT.V. time and space. Just as is Survivor!

August 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Garrison

CNN, who cares? Please....

August 30, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Snoop

Seriously? Who gives a rat's butt about any of this? Get off the couch, turn off the tv, put down the tub of ice cream, and go get some exercise, you reality addicted fatties.

August 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  75. nick

As much as Ellen is loved... she just didn't have the pnash, she said the same thing over and over again. Had nothing to do with Simon.

August 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  76. bmsvds

Lies. Ellen herself said earlier that same week that she signed a 5-year deal. AND, according to every poll I read, the general public was not into Ellen being an Idol judge. Lithgoe can blame Cowell, but blame lies on the producers that though Ellen would be a good fit, but were obviously wrong.

August 30, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Jody

Really Nigel? Simon is to blame even though he won't be on the panel this year? For a number of us, Simon was the reason to watch Idol – certainly this last season when the "talent" was not so talented. Tell me Nigel, who was the problem judge on So You Think You Can Dance this year? Without a doubt, the worst assemblage of rambling, incoherent and pomposity seated side by side. Shut up and bring back Mary. Unlike Idol, most of us don't watch SYTYCD to listen to you.

August 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  78. K8sMommy

Simon announced his plan to leave the show the first day Ellen was on the job, so how can you blame Simon for her leaving when it was widely known that was his farewell season anyway? I was initially happy when they announced Ellen as a judge; I thought she'd bring the "voice of the audience" perspective, whereas Randy & Kara have a producer/musician perspective, and Simon has a tell-it-like-it-is role. But, it was clear early on that Ellen just didn't fit in. She was way too nice to the contestants, too afraid to hurt their feelings. So I wasn't upset to see her go. I'm over Kara too, I never really cared for her. There have been only a handful of comments she's made that have made sense to me. I'd really like to see them bring 3 somewhat anonymous judges – people within the music industry but not necessarily hugely known or celebrity status. Let's try to make it more about the contestants and the singing, not about the judges. And I really want to see RAW talent, not a bunch of kids that already have crappy records out there just looking for their big break. I think that's a crock. Even Clay Aiken had a record deal prior to AI, under a different surname. Crock!

August 30, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  79. victoria

All of the judges have NEVER been in sync on that show. What a boring show it would be if they were! Obviously Simon and Nigel have had a bit of a tiff. Simon Cowell is the only judge with a lick of sense. Yes, sometimes he could be a little tired and cranky and not be willing to give someone a second chance, but, let's face it, that person was probably not going to make it into the finals anyway! Do we really need another Paula who has to be positive about every performance? I mean, come on, some of those people sounded like they were trying to imitate livestock being slaughtered and whoever gave them the idea they could sing needed to be brought into that audition room with them so they, too, could take the punishment.

August 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  80. ted kahny

do you think it really takes high profile people to make a star out of someone .idol need a judge like me or you ,who better to be a judge then the people who have time to listen . I am just as good as Simmon @ judging the next star . maybe they should try that ,the shows not doing as good anyway , and it might bring something good to the show.

August 30, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  81. me

He would prefer Elton John, yet I and so many others would prefer this stupid, insipid show get off the air already. It does nothing but exploit people and continue to undermine REAL music while offering nothing but silly pop crapola to the masses who are too brain-dead to THINK about what they are listening to in favor of just being momentarily entertained because of their boredom.

August 30, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Bulloch

I guess Ellen didn't bother watching the show first? I don't even like AA but even I know Simon Cowell is a jerk. I only read this article in the hopes of something interesting, like perhaps he stabbed Ellen...

August 30, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  83. The_Mick

Ellen was so out of her element on American Idol she often resorted to making comments whose point was humor rather than critiquing the performance. As some who endures "Master Class Play-Ins" in the Adult program at a music college where musicianship is critiqued by virtuosos, let me say that Paula Abdul -for all her dizziness- knows more about music theory and performance in her little finger than the other hosts combined. She was limited in what she could say on TV where REAL details would bore the audience, but you could catch the drift in some of her comments if you knew what to listen for in terms of what she thought of the pacing, accents, interpretation, etc. While the others seemed to have at least a sense of those things, Ellen seemed to miss the boat altogether.

August 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Rick

Let's get someone in there with brains and a music industry background, and agood personality: My suggestions: Barry Gibb and Tony Orlando.

August 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  85. JPX

Please, Ellen is awful. I'll never understand why she's popular. She's not funny, her talk show is unwatchable, and she's unpleasant to look at. Good Riddance.

August 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  86. John

Nigel is a narcissist and a has been who thinks he knows America. Simon was the best thing ever to happen to American Idol and his departure will sink this program. Ellen can only blame herself for her inadequacy for the program. She sounded more like a mother hen wanting to protect her chickens. Paula was a airhead who was at times so under drugs that she did not know what she was doing. Kara is the only female judge so far who made any sense. And I hope Randy stays and the new judges can come to the heels of Simon and Kara because otherwise, the show will end soon.
    So Nigel, loosen your stiff upper lip and stop bashing the wrong people. My take is that Elton John would be a bad pick because he is also a has been with the youth.

August 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Brad

Who should we really thank for her leaving? It was painful to sit there and listen to her speak. I have nothing against her as a person, she just wasn't Idol Judge material. The contestants need creative criticism and all she could do was copy the other judges comments or crack lame jokes. It was so bad that we almost stopped watching Idol altogether.

August 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  88. carol

the Idol summer tour was a disaster. 7 shows cancelled, they couldn't give away the tickets. Terrible talent this year combined whith the 'same old same old' comments from the so- called judges especially Randy makes AI almost unwatchable.

Ellen was awful(she basically said whatever Randy told her to say) Simon is gone & Kara is irrelevant.

I guess Ryan will stay as long as FOX keeps throwing millions of dollars his way.

August 30, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  89. scoot

GIVE DEBBIE HARRY THE JOB!!!

August 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Heptone

It is the death knell of any musicians career to appear on American Idol. Remember when musicians were rebellious and anti-establishment and being independent and setting new standards and trends?

Probably not as bad a career move as performing in Las Vegas but close.

August 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • me

That's why Soundgarden's back, baby! We need more of those guys and less Simon Cowell and American Idol.

August 30, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  91. dale

I don't think it makes much difference who the judges are as long as they are interesting individuals , what is going to be the death of Idol is the bloc voting of 13-14 year olds regardless of talent.

August 30, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Tracy

Nigel, you really are in idiot. Simon leaving had nothing to do w/Ellen leaving.. She has FULL TIME JOB. Idol is too busy for her. Watch her show.. she was exhausted and didnt expect how hard it would be doing both jobs.
    SMARTEN UP! Nigel you are a moron!

August 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Tony

How did Simon make her leave? Simon had already left the show and Kara was fired! Randy seemed to get along with Ellen. This article doesn't make sense. I believe she left all on her own. This is just Lithgoe and AI throwing blame on Simon for leaving and starting a competing show!

August 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. kim

What a load of crap. Simon was leaving the show anyways. EdeG didn't know that while the rest of the viewers did? Joke.

August 30, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Lola

For Pete's sake...just get David Foster and Harry Connich, Jr. and let that be it. Maybe Ellen would even come back if you had those two.

August 30, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  96. PHIL

Most people knew very early in the season Ellen by no fault of her own didn't fit the show .So why is Lithgow so bothered ,it was even time for Simon to go we get bored easily , you may not like it but probably the whole show is starting to get boring .I only watch the auditions ,then its to boring.

August 30, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Moo_Moo_Pants

Yeah.....this show is over.......Lopez.....Tyler? Gimme a break..... This show is going to be a joke now. Lopez?..... What the @#$%?

August 30, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  98. JustADude

When Simon leaves, Idol will die.

August 30, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  99. BGSU

(Yawning again)
    Zzzzzz
    I wish Ellen would grow up. She's not the center of the universe.

August 30, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  100. Lisa

What point does this serve blaming Simon for Ellen leaving? I think she should have left because it's supposed to be about the singers and not about the judges. The show hasn't been about the contestants ever since they put 4 judges on the show. They need to get it back to where it used to be and stop trying to blame Simon for their mistakes.

August 30, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  101. Adrianne

I hope that Lithgow can inject some badly needed changes for AI. Ellen was wrong from the beginning and frankly, I don't think Randy adds one thing to the judging. He always says the same boring thing, "it just didn't work for me, Dude." How constructive is that? AI can take its cue from So You Think You Can Dance, which is a finely tuned, professional show with excellent critique from the judges. Let's get judges who really know about the art of singing and performing!

August 30, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  102. Dolores

To "ME" I agree with your choice of judges that would be great to have on the show! elton, tina, s tyler and randy..
    all of them are truly talented and would know talent when they saw it.

Kara was absolutley rude to Ellen on the show until the end of the season when Ellen became more savvy and was quite good at it...even then Kara was still rude.

August 30, 2010 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
    • moo_moo_pants

Who cares?

August 30, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • puffofsmoke

I agree that Kara was much harder on Ellen than Randy or Simon. When Simon disagreed with Ellen he usually explained why, Kara just spoke down to her for not being in the music business.

August 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  103. mattski

Don't you think Nigel kinda looks like Ellen?

August 30, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  104. Kathy

I think Ellen is gone because of the survey done recently on Idol's website....a lot of people think they need to restart with a clean slate (and that includes all of the judges).

August 30, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  105. Earl Butts

"The People" made stars out of Miley Montana, Ke$ha, and Reehanna rich and famous. I don't really care what they think is good music.

August 30, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  106. Jason

True, Ellen never was a good fit for the show, but as far as she wasn't "creditable" enough to be there because she was never part of the music industry...that was the point. The show's about churning out artists, ones that will be popular and sell well. She was more of the people's representative rather than a musical expert.

August 30, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Kimmie

Ellen was NEVER the "people's representative". That was the lame justification Fox offered up to justify her being a judge. Pathetic that Nigel is still trying to justify her this way. The "people" didn't need a representative; we speak for ourselves, with our votes.

August 30, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Alex

So this means JLo does not have a packed schedule and her career is sinking fast...why don't we keep her that way instead of throwing her and American Idol life preserver?

August 30, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  108. Bob

Thank You Simon Cowell if you drove off Ellen. I love Ellen, but Idol was NOT a good fit for her. By her second week she started commenting on people's singing ability as if she was an expert and i lost interest in her opinion since she was overstretching.

August 30, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  109. Blessed Geek

It's IMPORTANT the judges are OUT of sync.
    We need them to be out of sync with each other.
    Otherwise, three judges who agree with each other is as good as having just one judge with three times the votes.

Degenres should have just stuck herself up as a sore thumb and be proud about it.

August 30, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  110. darknight

ellen had no business being a judge.....you have to have talent to judge talent and ellen can;t sing or dance so what was she doing there but taking up a chair...

August 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  111. Joe

Who Really cares this show suck like the rest of the Reality crap.

August 30, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  112. AJ

I don't see why they would get rid of a buttload of judges, and still leave the most annoying one in place: RANDY. He has annoyed me since the BEGINNING. It's a wrap on Idol for me, anyway. Last season was completely atrocious. It doesn't matter who the new judges are if they can't get anything better than Lee Dewyze winning with a U2 cover at the end.

August 30, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  113. johnrj08

The only reason American Idol gained any popularity was because of Simon Cowell's frequently brutal critiques of contestants. That's why people tuned in. It sure wasn't to see a bunch of unknown amateurs perform. People want to see blood and Cowell gives it to them. If he dislikes one of the other judges all the better. The show appeals to our basest instincts.

August 30, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  114. Krow

They should replace Ellen with a parrot... "Bawk... you're wonderful... bawk... you're a star... bawk."

August 30, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  115. mrlgh

I really like Ellen. She's funny and cool but she really looked out of her element on the show. The audience is the voice of the people. I think this move is better for all concerned.

August 30, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  116. Missy

I watch Idol to hear the kids sing. Anything they can do to lessen the blah-blahing by judges will be an improvement (e.g., go back to a 3-judge panel). Get rid of these "mentors" (Miley Cyrus? A mentor?! Ridiculous!). Give the kids more time to sing!

As far as judges go, I'd love to see someone like a Quincy Jones or David Foster or other successful music producer - someone who REALLY has the credibility to accurately judge talent - in the judge's seat. Steven Tyler would be a huge mistake, IMO. If they're going to go the non-producer/executive types, I think Neil Patrick Harris would be a great choice based solely on his great personality and quick wit.

As far as music celebrities, I think Elton John would be fabulous, but also Paul McCartney - it needs to be someone who truly has the gravitas to judge the talent. But the main thing, regardless who the judges are, is to allow the kids more singing time. Get rid of the mentors and the 4th judge and they could all sing an extra song or a full-length song each show. It needs to be about the kids!

August 30, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  117. Greg

The show is DEAD and has been for several years now. Nobody cares who takes over as judges. Let the show die in peace.

August 30, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  118. Josh

This Idol businees seems to be focusing on the judges more than the actual singers. It's made the show a joke.

August 30, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  119. Ben

First off, isn't Simon leaving? I am sure this was known.

Second, I have lots of coworkers I don't like, find hard to take, etc. However, I also have a mortgage and bills. Must be nice to not have to suck it up and stick it out for a year when you have to work on a project a few weeks a year and make millions for it!

August 30, 2010 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Chop

Simon isn't going anywhere, he co-owns the show, he will be back if the ratings fall.

August 30, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  120. Marnie

Nigel is 52? I thought more like 62.

August 30, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  121. Joe Santore

Not sure this makes any sense; of course, not that it has to. Why would she leave early knowing Simon would no longer be on the panel if indeed that was the reason she was leaving?? After watching nearly every broadcast it appeared from the start that she was 1. not having any fun and 2. just didn't like it. Now we get to hear Randy dawging everything and two new as yet unknowns. Get to work Nigel or go back to the UK

August 30, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  122. Patty

Ellen bought nothing to the table, and this was the wrong venue for her to be on.

August 30, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  123. Jrad

Cripes, without Simon, what's the point of even watching? I used to fast-forward through everything until the part where Simon makes untalented pretty people cry. Without him on the show, it truly will be nothing more than a popularity contest – even though it already mostly is.

August 30, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  124. hmmm

Which doesn't make much sense since she knew Simon was leaving, so if that was the reason then why would she leave?

August 30, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  125. Kimmie

Nigel ought to be ashamed. Simon DEFINED American Idol; Ellen was an experiment gone VERY bad. Simon is the one whose departure he should be lamenting, not Ellen's, and instead, he's throwing Simon under the bus. Ellen did absolutely NOTHING for the show; she was a mistake even before she started, and Simon was in NO WAY responsible for her leaving. She left because she recognized herself that she was not cut out for the job. Nigel needs to face facts and admit that Idol is dead without Simon, instead of trying to discredit Simon so the show can continue in his absence.

August 30, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  126. Robin Ottsbury

Glad that she is leaving. She was the poster child for 'gay' activists.

August 30, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  127. thierry

About this, definitely Nigel is completely wrong. It is not his domain of expertise. Not very sport!
    I don't how Ellen got there, she barely delivered her performance as an AI judge. Ellen is great in her show.
    But now it is thing of the past, it is better to move forwards and get the right judge, and mostly don't repeat the same mistake.

August 30, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  128. aatami

American Idol is a perfect example of everything that is wrong with our culture. The producers should be charged with crimes against humanity.

August 30, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  129. Idol chatter

Ellen gave it shot and it really didn't work – for whatever reason. On the other hand, this how is dying a slow death and that can't be blamed on Ellen. The past two seasons were really the worst. It may be best to think about bringing this show to a hault at the end of the upcoming season. As for the two empty judges chairs, why not hire a husband & wife team to take both seats?? Say Steve Lawrence & Eyde Gorme, The Captain & Tennille? It would be nice to offer these two seats to two people within the industry who could use the work. Hiring the very rich Ellen who already has a full-time job was really senseless when clearly there would have to be two people in the entertainment field who would appreciate a job and earn some money too. Really, that diva Jenifer Lopez? As a final option, I'd say hire one person and each week have one guest judge. The latter would at least give a person a reason to tune in. Stop spending so much time on those rags to riches stories among the contestants too. We've all come from some where!!

August 30, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  130. Me

Why not just have Elton John, Tina Turner, S. Tyler and Randy Jackson? I won't watch it if J Lo starts judging.

August 30, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  131. JumpingtheShark

Is kara still a judge? get rid of her....

August 30, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  132. livedead

Stupid show, stupid judges! I wish the show would just end.

August 30, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  133. Scott

Nigel is a Co-Creator and Owner of American Idol. I don't think he is going anywhere. He is the one who hired, collaborated and created this entire show with Simon Cowell.

August 30, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Really? wow. So the only requirement to start a show like this an empty skull and a jot of selective amnesia. Jolly good, i'll contact my 99 yr old aunt May at shaddy pine nursing home for a partnership on a new show idea,
      wish me luck...my fav judge for this show is Paula Abdul.
      Please note that this show will be 420 friendly.
      Anyone has a few good judges in mind?

August 30, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  134. Lolo

I, too, think this should read "simon is credited with..." Ellen was TERRIBLE, and this is coming from someone that LOVES her on her talk show.
    AI was not the place for her.
    But having said that, I find this hard to believe. It was known since shortly after Ellen arrived that Simon would be leaving. If anything, she would have good reason to stay, not quit. So this doesn't really make sense.

August 30, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  135. Jangocat

She never belonged on the show to begin with. She is neither a musician, singer, nor someone in the recording industry. She is completely unqualified to be judging musical talent.

August 30, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  136. Diane

Who cares? She was mediocre and boring. Why haven't they signed Bret Michaels. Never really cared for his music, but he'd be great as a judge.

August 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  137. Jerry Johns Creek, GA

Ellen will be missed as a judge as she bought humor, honest feelings and an outside perspective on the music talent displayed. Simon will be missed for his objective, albeit often nasty evaluations but generally he was correct. It would be nice to have an American as a replacement for Simon, after all This Is AMERICAN IDOL!

August 30, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  138. DitaFan

I've been hoping for Elton John since I heard Simon was leaving. He'd be PERFECT!! Extremely qualified, honest, and a bit snarky. C'mon Elton!

August 30, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  139. PaulaA

J-Lo - doh! Bring back Paula, if you want chemistry.

August 30, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  140. Jake

I think they should leave one seat open and have a different guest judge every week or every couple of weeks. One week Elton, one week Paul McCartney, perhaps the next week Randy Travis, MC Hammer, or even a former winner or runner-up . . . fill in a name is all I'm saying.

And yes, Ellen was a very poor choice from the outset. Clueless.

August 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

I was thinking the same thing. What they could do whatever person is mentoring them that week have them judge them as well. I felt the guest judges before Ellen started gave some great advice especially Shania

August 30, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  141. chop

Did you see the distance between Ellen and Kara at their table. Kara didn't feel comforable next to a gay women. This is the reason.

August 30, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • yaqub

LOL. But she had chemistry with Randy who keeps calling her E. I think the reason she quit is coz Randy had a crush on her. She was almost turned. :)

August 30, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Alejandro

I agree. I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting next to a gay man either.

August 30, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  142. Graham

Boy, you tea-baggers are everywhere, aren't you? Get a life.

August 30, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  143. Educated

Who REALLY gives a damn? The country is going to hell in a hand basket, and THIS is considered news?

August 30, 2010 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack

Go away.

August 30, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Educatedidiot

mmmhm the country is going to hell? There is a solution: 2 Chronicles 7:14...try PRAYER .
      Bush started two wars that has costed us lives and shame around the world...and he was about to start a few others (n.korea, iran, yemen...) and a gazillion $$ debt and you just discovered the country is going to hade?
      No, weve been through hell and i can now see a light, a glimmer of hope.

August 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

You obviosuly care enough to post a comment on here. People like you would like us all to spend our time being as miserable as possible. You probably read up on all the depressing stories and enjoy it. Some of us whether educated or not enoy a little light entertainment and would appreciate it if people like you posted your 'mightier than you' comments elsewhere.

August 30, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  144. huxley

Give me a call Nigel. Elton told me he's got enough on his plate. Steve called last night to talk.

August 30, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  145. anniebee

Ellen did not have an original thought. She dittoed Randy on every issue. Good riddance

August 30, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  146. Dean

And here I thought Bush was at fault.

August 30, 2010 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  147. Beo

Simon didn't cause Ellen to leave. George Bush did. It's George Bush's fault. It always is. Bush did it. Blame him not Simon.

August 30, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • scot

Well...there you go again. Haha yeah It's Bush's fault! And we know how much Ellen likes bush!

August 30, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Wendy

Oh please. I really don't think Ellen was intimated by what Simon said. It was his show! Ellen was ok on Idol but clearly she did not have the expertise to be a judge. Ellen is funny and should have stayed on her own talk show. Not because she was that bad. Because she's just so much better at it.

August 30, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  149. Samuel..Whose name means Asked of God

Dear Nigel, did you just forget to take your med this morning? Simon is gone, i hope they memo'd you about it. We were informed for the past year. Ellen leaving because she has an issue with someone who isnt there anymore is bizarre!
    Ellen is a great comedian but really really was a clueless judge on idol. She's smart enough to nub that early on.
    From your opinion on idol future, you really are past your game and probably you may need to call it quits while you still, well, not much behind.
    Idol needs a Fresh Face. Period. Anything less will receive publics check against the new judges bio....but you didnt know that did you now, old boy

August 30, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  150. Bemused

Denise... maybe Simon deserved to be there because he was a Record Producer with experience under his belt and also had talent Judging experience back in Merry ole England... Ellen, while a fantastic comedienne and talk show host, had zero experience in the music business

August 30, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  151. pattijen

I thought Ellen was terrific as an American Idol judge. I don't believe it's important for all the judges to be part of the music industry. What's wrong with just being a music fan like the rest of us? I think that makes for a more well-rounded judging panel. As for Elton John, oh please, no way! When Elton recently sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding, that told us all we needed to know about Elton, and that is that he's easily "bought out". I lost all respect for Elton John because of that.

August 30, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  152. Brian

Ellen on American Idol was a failed experiment. I don't know what they were thinking when they brought her on. I guess they thought she would be funny, but for the most part she wasn't. They should just stick to having performing artists and other music industry type people on the judging panel.

August 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  153. observer

I am a big fan of American Idol, and personally loved Ellen's role – 1. She cracked me up every time she spoke!!!! Isn't that what entertainment is about? 2. She responded to the performances better than Kara. 3. Do you beleive the voters are listenning to the Judges? I think not. America is voting for who they like best (looks and personality). America for the most part is tone deaf.

I am pretty sure that the judges are even forced to keep contestants that do not belong in the show, at least it sure seems that way – look at Hicks

August 30, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
    • David

America isn't tone deaf. The people that can stand to watch AI are tone deaf. I don't find poor singing amusing. I find it painful and even the best people on there miss some notes. That's OK they aren't polished professionals but why would I want to subject myself to their "talent".

August 30, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Pat in IL

Kara should have gone after her first year. She obviously shunned Ellen and ignored Randy.... and her "make out" sessions with Simon were disgusting to watch. I think she was the first one to splinter the panel.

August 30, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  155. Ron

I've never watched an entire episode. I couldn't stomach it. Just a bunch of wannabe's with mediocre talent who do well at the local Karaoke bar. I know there are more talented people out there who never get that big break. I wish the show would just go away. Here's an idea for show. Contestants have to do random good deeds for total strangers gaining points for each good deed they accomplish. Too much selfishness in our society and not enough open and giving peope. I guess it's just a pipedream of mine.

August 30, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Hey

...you would be the only one to watch. That's not what the American public wants to see.

August 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  156. mike

is this show still on?

August 30, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  157. Walker

Blamed? Simon should be heralded as a hero if he is the reason Ellen left. She was so terrible on Idol – her bland humor and no music inductry experience created a black hole of entertainment every time she talked. She never gave a honest critique of anyone which is funny as industry rumors say she is a nightmare to deal with off camera.

August 30, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  158. Mrs. Northman

I am so glad Ellen left Idol, she was terrible. She never had anything useful to say, and always looked extremely awkward with the other judges. Though I liked Kara and thought she gave good constructive critisicm, I prefer the new direction the show is going with. By hiring real stars like Steven Tyler or Mariah Carey (who is the latest rumored possible judge) it gives the show more credibility, and appeals to lots of people. I am definately interested in watching next season, far more than I did about the last one.

August 30, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  159. Cree

Ellen DeGeneres I think is not made to be unkind to others. She seems to be a lovely lady with wit and humor, but being critical does not fit her. I think she made a good decision.

August 30, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  160. Dave

Simon was just an ass. Can't be surprised that lots of people hate the guy. It's what he wants.

August 30, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

It's funny cause that's exactly why I like him, brutal honesty is hard to come by.

August 30, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Some people just can't stand it that the truth is always the truth, no matter how hard others try to spin it. If those who felt insulted by Simon's honest, "You can't sing, and should look for another line of work" comments couldn't take, they should blame the ones who encouraged them to take their no talent acts to AI in the first place, not those who were honest and saved them some wasted effort in the future.

August 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Denise

I loved Ellen on AI. She added humor. Remember, Simon wasn't a singer or entertainer but was able to say who he thought could be a star. Why shouldn't Ellen do the same?

August 30, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. Northman

I think the difference is is that Simon has worked for many years behind the scenes in the music industry, while Ellen has had nothing whatsoever to do with it. And while she is a good comedian generally, I felt on AI she fell flat.

August 30, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Matt

AI is not a show that needs to inject comedy, the best parts of the show were unintended comedy from the judges disagreeing. If they are going to get someone to inject comedy it has to be brutally honest comedy not the quirky crap Ellen brings. Howard Stern is the one person who can save AI and make it relevant again plus his Sirius contract runs out in January so he'll be looking for something to do.

August 30, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  162. Fiery Buddha

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

August 30, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  163. carole

Idol is a sinking ship. It has had it's day. Season 5 was the best and it's been all down hill since.
    I never cared for Simon, but Lithgoe is just as bad, stabbing Simon in the back.
    Why don't these Brits stay across the ocean. Stop bring their trash here. Simon and Lithgoe...

August 30, 2010 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank O'Phone

if they did, what would you watch on TV? Every decent reality show is a UK knockoff, plus shows like the Office etc. are all ripped off from the british.

August 30, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Bob

It may be trash but we love it

August 30, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  164. Lorin

I used to love Ellen and than she want on Idol and I didn't like her so much anymore. I can't pin point exactly why just something about her rubbed off on me the wrong way.

August 30, 2010 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  165. juan del pueblo

I quit watching Idol when Ellen joined. To me she has as much credibility as a judge as Joe Jackson did as a brain surgeon (neither had experience in those fields). I would have watched if they had gotten say... Howard Stern? Timbaland?

August 30, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  166. YoYo

She never had anything to contribute, she was clearly out of her element. It is obvious she cannot interact with others besides herself. She was totally squashed by the knowledge and contributions of the other judges as she would just sit there and say 'I agree' or 'It was good'. How lame! The show deserves a much better judge than Ellen.

August 30, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  167. duryea

If Lithgoe is the producer of Idol, didn't he play a part in hiring Ellen. Simon Cowell is gone so why would he be blamed for Ellen leaving the show. The next judge should be someone like David Foster.

August 30, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
    • noellen

The show did fine before Ellen, in fact it was tops...now we see how it will do without Simon...didn't David Foster write "Swany River"?

August 30, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dellon

Stephen Foster wrote Swanee River.

August 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • LBW

David Foster, for those who don't pay attention, is a writer/producer who has worked with Celine Dion, Josh Grobin, Andrea Bocelli, Peter Cetera and some singer named Strisand. When he guest judged he had great technical advise for the singers and knows the business of the music business as well. He would be great but after working with the voices he has worked with haveing to put up with the miserable auditions – I don't know.

August 30, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  168. stu

Although I do think he has some good songs. Just keep it to song writing, Elton.

August 30, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  169. Jessica

Since im not an Idol fan – but an Ellen fan – I always thought it was a strange fit. I understood she was a fan of the show, but being a fan doesnt mean it'll work. I'm glad she bailed the show has run its course (about 3 years ago).

August 30, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  170. Stu

Why would America tune in to see Elton John lecture us on morals. He is the one who labeled the American public as racist when Jennifer Hudson was voted off, while Latoya London and Fantasia Burrino got all of the diva votes instead of her. Didn't America turn around and vote Fantasia the winner that season? Right after Ruben Studdard won the previous season? America proved him wrong and doesn't need lectures from him.

August 30, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Antwoine

I think eltons comments bought it home to America that Idol was turning into a popularity contest instead of a singing contest. That season in particular when London, Barrino, and Hudson landed in the bottom three... people were not happy. Yeah you could say they split the vote, or it was idol thunderdome, or even phone service was disrupted... but America is not tone deaf and it did not explain why they all ended up there that night. It was simply a low point in Idol History and in typical Elton fashion.... he got on his fabulos diamond studded high horse and said what most Americans were thinking.

August 30, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Totally agree with you 100% No moral lectures just need to give the contestants really good advice.

August 30, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
    • mark nyc

seriously? elton john? he is a bitter old queen who would be nasty and ruthless for the sake of being nasty and ruthless. keep the oversized pig off the airwaves.

August 30, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sean

American Idol is just a popularity contest...and all it will ever be.

August 30, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Donna

"Why would America tune in to see Elton John lecture us on morals." Ok.. You're a bit confused as to what the "job description" of a judge pertains in a show like american idol. I don't believe that lecturing morals to the contestants fits in with the job description. IMO, a judge should be one who's been in the entertainment biz, and I do mean that in the general term; not just music although that would be a bonus, for many years that speaks of experience. These people do know what they're talking about and obviously they're good at what they do or they wouldn't be successful people. This does not require a college degree and their personal lifestyle really has nothing to do with the job. In my view, Sir Elton John would be one of the perfect candidates for one of the slots because, well, his career and success pretty much proves his eligibility.. morals be damned.. nothing to do with qualifications and nothing to do with judging an american idol show. Somehow I doubt his personal lifestyle or anyone else's will effect the show itself.

August 30, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Kay

But Simon's gone, so why would Ellen also leave? She won't have to deal with him anymore. This doesn't make sense.

But I guess it's better than admitting she never fit in from the start and hiring her was a mistake.

August 30, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Antwoine

My thoughts exactly. An Idol judge should have at least some envolvement in the music business.... Atlanta's own Sir Elton would be a good fit. but Jenifer Lopez is no Paula.

August 30, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Clark

EXACTLY. Simon is gone. Really Really Nigel? Be Gone nigel.

August 30, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Rex

Exactly! That is just what I thought too.

August 30, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Exactly!

August 30, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • J

Precisely.

August 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Oh stop it Kay. You are going to just confuse some with logic and facts.

August 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • lynne

Gee, Ellen sat next to Simon and got bullied/abused for a year. Regardless of what Simon is doing, she's had enough and is too nice to give the real reason. She was out of her comfort zone but tried to help the contestants.

September 23, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  172. Willy Brown

Ellen was clueless just like you NIGEL

August 30, 2010 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
    • xpr

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!!!!!!

August 30, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Brit

Amen x2. Sounds like Nigel has a beef up his sewers

August 30, 2010 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
    • drd

Simon "Blamed" or "credited".. I think you need to use the word credited.

August 30, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Talon

Doesn't make sense since Simon had already announced he would leave, but I have to agree, if Simon is the cause we need to thank him, Ellen was just a waste of space and time, she said nothing worth remembering.

August 30, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
    • 3rdRock

We need Lithgow – John LITHGOW – bwaahahahahaha!!!

August 30, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • trebor

No. The public didn't want her in the first place. I know personally of about 500k quit watching the day she came on. If you really think about he left because of HER.... She is a JOKE......

August 30, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

trebor – you really personally know 500k people, let alone 500k people that quit watching AI becasue of Ellen?

August 30, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • ficheye

American idol is the worst. Simon was and is a jerk. They purposely put folks on there who are CLEARLY unqualified so that Simon could abuse them... that's part of the ratings scheme. They need a show with Simon, David Hasselhof, Mel Gibson, Whitney Houston, and Marilyn Manson. And Pee Wee Herman. Now that would be weird TV.

August 30, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Yes, indeed. "Credit" Simon for Ellen leaving. There should be something positive to remember Simon by since he's left the show.

Of all the content on TV these days, I can honestly say that the "Ellen" show would be in the bottom 5 of what I'd want to watch. As in, if it's on and nothing good is on the other stations, my choice would be to shut off the TV.

August 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Debbie

I feel that the show has lost its staying power. No longer interested, nor care who the judges will be, and will not watch anymore. Ran its course. OVER, DONE...MOVE ON!!!

August 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Funnyman

Willllllly, I have to agree. I just love comics, they are a literal joke. Who says they have talent?????Who says they know what talent is?????Most of these people where screw ups in high school, the cut up that now makes millions running their faces but, lack serious education. I am glad Ellen is gone, she and Nigel are nothing but Beeeeoooooochhhhhsss!!!!!

August 30, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • debby

I love Ellen. I think she's funny and she was really the voice of those of us without a 'degree' in music (as so many of the posters here seem to be). However, sometimes she was a little too nice instead of honest. That being said, I stilll think that Shania Twain is the best fit for the show. She was wonderful with the contestants and she knows a thing or two about music – and she's secure enough about her opinion to be honest. I think Ellen was too intimidated – which just seemed odd to watch.

August 30, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • GinaNYC

I think this is a ridiculous story! Simon had announced his departure from AI the same day Ellen came onboard. If she had any issue at all with Simon, it would have been resolved with his leaving, wouldn't it. As it is, she didn't even announce her own departure until weeks after Simon himself was long gone. I think they got along brilliantly and Ellen didn't choose to stay because she was uncomfortable and also feels, as many do, that Idol is on it's last legs anyway.

August 30, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • realworld

trebor doesn't actually know anyone, Eric, but he friended 500k people on facebook, and 2 people are following him on twitter.

August 30, 2010 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • hoyt28

The orignal Judges were fine, now it 's pull the plug or let Randy run it with guest judges every week.

September 8, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |