Is Jeremy Renner the next Tom Cruise?
August 27th, 2010

Is Jeremy Renner the next Tom Cruise?

What does an Oscar nomination get you? How about a co-starring role opposite Tom Cruise? "The Hurt Locker" star Jeremy Renner has been tapped to join the "Top Gun" in the fourth "Mission: Impossible" movie, according to Deadline.com.

The casting of the 39-year-old actor comes as a bit of a surprise. Paramount studios had reportedly been seeking younger actors to join the "M:I" team to help breathe new life into the enterprise and eventually carry on the franchise for the 48-year-old Cruise.

Among the names considered: Chris Pine ("Star Trek"), Renner's "Hurt Locker" co-star Anthony Mackie and white-hot Brit Tom Hardy ("Inception").

But clearly, Renner is one of the most in-demand actors in Hollywood.

Besides starring in Ben Affleck's crime drama "The Town" in September, the newly appointed A-lister will appear in Marvel's upcoming superhero ensemble "The Avengers" and is in talks to star in Paul Thomas Anderson's next film, "The Master."

1. klasui

movies

November 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. nottom

not a tom eh!

Online movies

October 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. khocolatemoose

Look, the first Mission Impossible film was fun, the second was funny, and the third was somewhere in the middle. I hadn't planned on seeing the fourth installment, but with Renner on board, I think I'll give it a try.

Feel free to join the conversation about films at http://khocolatemoose.wordpress.com/

We'd love to hear what you think, and often.

Best,

KM

September 26, 2010 at 11:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joseph J. Waddington Jr.

Turtle is right on Target!

September 5, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Abner Z. Z. Urkowitz

I completely agree with Turtle.

Men must be real men.

September 5, 2010 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  6. Turtle Garo Ginsberg

He is also a Little Big Man.

Where are all the John Wayne types.

John Wayne & Maureen Ohara, physical attraction Man & Woman not some little Girlish man trying to score with a liberated
    chick.

September 5, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. sarah

Ok so frist off Jeremy Renner is delicous. have loved him forever. comparing him to tom cruise is like comparing him to the uglest man u will everknow. totaly no comparison. jeremy is good in every movie he has ever been in including his protral as jeffery dahmer, north country, swat, hurt locker all of them! totaly yummy

September 1, 2010 at 3:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. onbehalfofactingcommunity

cool pick, dont mind it. But now that you mentioned it I would've loved to see Hardy in the movie.

August 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jayson

Ug! M.I. 4? Do we really need or want another one? Why is the media soooooo obsessed with Tom Cruise – he's a horrible actor!

August 27, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jjboston

August 27, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. deb

Renner can act circles around sofa-hopping Cruise.

August 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TinkaDelrelei

Tom Cruise is overrated. It's about time Hollywood called in for a replacement...

August 27, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. B-Dog

Isn't TC ummmm good looking?

August 27, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mr Wolfe

TC good looking? Really? The guy has a HUGE nose, thin lips, and I have dogs taller than he is. THAT's good looking?

August 27, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jim

Seriously don't disrespect Cruise like that. People just love hating on him but have you ever seen his movies haters? You're the same people who think Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, Will Farrell are funny. haha I dont think so.

August 27, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Helion

I first saw him in The Unusuals and it was pretty clear even from that he had that spark that makes a great actor. Truly surprised it took him this long to make it big.

August 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mejazzbo

Tom Cruise, please...

August 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. nifkin

This is quality journalism right here folks!

August 27, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. mijnoss

Ghanta banta santa

August 27, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. san diego kid

I love it how everyone jumped on Jeremy's wagon since Hurtlocker! What? No-one saw S.W.A.T.???? Is he next Collin F? Or maybe Sam Jackson? He was theere with both of them! He is not Tom! Its funny how Hollywood works! You have to have a big role in breakout movie and ur a star! No one cared be4 that! Start watching Entourage everyone!

August 27, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Ms. P

I agree with BEE the two can not be compared. Tom is TOM and Jeremy is himself. In terms of acting ability they are not on the same level. When you get recognized by the Academy doesn't equate to the total level of your skill just your performance in this paricular piece of work. Think of all the great perfomances Henry Fonda gave the world and they honored him for his worst. Go figure. I think they may work well together because some actors just develop an instant chemistry we'll see.

August 27, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  21. Catherine in Tulsa

He and Tom Hardy are both hot and both can actually act – I am surprised TC would want them in the same movie. Perhaps they should ditch TC and do their own thing together?

August 27, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. BEE

No comparison between the 2.Tom is Tom,Jeremy is Jeremy......DUH !!

August 27, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  23. Mr Man

So Jeremy Renner is going to be gay and a prophet for a cult?

August 27, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  24. Lord Aiducan

I guess if Tom Cruise was ugly and had a scrunched up face, then sure.

August 27, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  25. CATom

I think lady gaga should star in the next mission possible because she is more manly than this dude or tom cruz.

August 27, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  26. EmSeeDubayou

what an insult to Renner...and what a lame story

August 27, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  27. BeyondtheTech

I liked this guy Renner in the Hurt Locker, his character was pretty crazy and he handled it very well that I got so absorbed into the whole movie. I'd be interested to see how he fares in the super-spy world.

August 27, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Jack C NYC

I liked Renner in the short-lived TV show "The Unusuals"

August 27, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. RS

I love Jeremy Renner, ever since his part in 28 Weeks Later. Movie was crap, but I loved his character. My mom loved him in The Hurt Locker, and we're both looking forward to seeing his future work. But I wouldn't compare him to Tom Cruise. Not unless he's couch hopping on Oprah, psychology bashing, scientology promoting, and flushing his own career down the toilet. Then I'd say yeah he was the next Tom Cruise. Jeremy is his own person, and I think he's awesome. Good luck Jeremy !

August 27, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  29. Alek

This is the worst idea for an article ever. Infotainment at it's best. I'd rather read Faux news than this crap. In fact, I will. Good day, CNN.

August 27, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • akc

Hmm – this is in the CNN Entertainment section. Are you really looking for in-depth reporting of world events in a section that was created for trivial news?

August 27, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Tommy

shut up AKC, this is a dumb article, even you arent dumb enough and blind enough to not realize that. My first reaction the headline. PFFF NO

August 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renner

You shut up, Tommy. Nyahhh!

August 27, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Fred Astaire

Is Bristol Palin the next Ginger Rogers??

August 27, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |