Dear 'Entourage': This version of Vince can kick rocks
August 23rd, 2010

Dear 'Entourage': This version of Vince can kick rocks

I'm a little disturbed, "Entourage" fans, and not just because it’s Monday.

It appears the beloved crew from Queens is officially "a man down,” and if the signs we've seen in Vince this season are par for the course, the "Entourage" will cease to exist long before the show ends next summer.

But let me back up for a minute. You know, as "Entourage" starts each week, there's always that familiar feeling of, "OK, let's see what's gonna happen next!” Then as things wind down and the sweet music kicks in to set up the next episode, I think out loud to no one in particular: "OK, let's see what's gonna happen next." It ends as it begins. Always.

This week, the show did end as it began, but this time, I was sitting there motionless in stunned disgust. Let's see if I can find the exact height of this disgust…Ah yes, here it is: I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Not to say that "Sniff Sniff, Gang Bang" wasn't a good episode, because it was - but it was also disturbing. As much as I enjoyed seeing Ari Gold struggle to make things right again and the continuing saga of Drama's dissatisfaction with "Johnny goes Bananas,” the episode moved my meter in a distinctly new direction.

Vince's behavior - such as the make-out marathon in the opening scene - is "concerning," but Eric put it best: Vince is in free fall. The problem is he's really annoying on his way down, and I don't like Vince Chase anymore. (THIS Vince Chase can kick rocks. He's GOT to go...Please, for the love of Peter, Paul AND Mary, bring back Aquaman or Pablo Escobar. Get rid of this guy.)

So this week, E was the star. As the show went along, the tone of his conversation became more urgent, and also more riveting. It sounded exactly like someone who is managing his best friend's career and is beginning to freak out as he smells the distinct aroma of his downfall.

Ah yes, the downfall. Vince's refusal to take the studio's drug test (among other things), points directly to his stupidity these days, and I'm STILL not sure Sasha Grey is exactly the problem. Sure, dating an adult film star can have its drawbacks (right?), but I think Sasha's presence in his life represents a deeper problem.

But all in all, I thought it was a solid show. Let me also give kudos to the readers and fans (like Santos and Dave) who put the word out on Tequila Avion's brilliant product placement. While it’s only available in New York and California, I'm sure the buzz is "buzzalicious" these days thanks to Vince and the boys enjoying it. (What's that? Oh, the answer is "yes,” I gotta get some.)

One more thing: I'd be remiss if I didn't make mention of this episode’s use of music. “Entourage” has always been stellar when it comes to clever, catchy and sometimes jarring music cues that really hammer home a point about the scenes and character interactions. Since the show began in July, 2004 (the pilot episode featured The Who, Outkast, Jet, Jay-Z and Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way"), good music has been a basic fixture. But then again, it’s not just "good music" - it’s timely, well-planned "tuning" that adds flavor to the fabric of each show, and I love it.

If I had to pick one, I'd say season six’s episode "Runnin’ on E" had the best soundtrack, but I'm sure you readers have opinions (and iTunes playlists) of your own. For me, hearing the show is just as important as watching, and some old tunes are often given new meaning. This week, the credits rolled with Jared Evan's "In Love With You," a perfect fit for the tenor of the Vince/Eric confrontation as the show concluded.

Here are some of my all-time favorite “Entourage” tunes (and the scenes they came with):

Suicide – "Ghost Rider"
Eric marches to Amy Miller's office in season six, episode three, "One Car, Two Car, Red Car, Blue Car"

Phoenix – "If I Ever Feel Better"
End credits of season five, episode two, "Unlike a Virgin"

The Doors – "When the Music's Over"
Drama ignores a phone call and heads for the Grand Canyon in season three, episode 18, "The Resurrection"

Edwin Starr – "Easin' In"
Eric in his office in season six, episode two, "Runnin on E"

Rich Boy – "Throw Some D's"
The boys cruise a rough neighborhood for Turtle's "Fukijama" sneakers in season three, episode 11, "What about Bob?"

Did I miss one of your favorite songs from a prior episode? Let me know in the comments, along with whether or not you loved, kinda liked or hated the show. I can't be the only one not feeling Vince right now. See ya next week!

Post by:
Filed under: Entourage • television • TV recaps

1. Ben

How can anyone not enjoy this season? Vince, a character most fans like and root for is headed down a dark trail. No one wants that to be the case but it's life and situations occur even if they aren't always good. I like that uneasyness I get from watching this season. Life isn't always fun and games. I'm hard press to recall a time or show where the main characters have gone major personality changes from when the first episode aired. Gives us a reason to watch next week. It will be a great feeling once the guys go back to being themselves – like returning home to your own bed after a long trip.

August 29, 2010 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. DREJUICE

When they played Kanye Wests' The Good Life, yeah that was a great time for a great song for the show.... my fav was when they played E40'S "Tell Me when to Go" when Ari was dancing to it walking through his office hallways... HILARIOUS

August 28, 2010 at 3:52 am | Report abuse |
    • ttrueblonde41

CAN YOU FIND A CLIP OF TELL ME WHEN TO GO?! ahh thats my favorite scene with the song and i cant find the clip on the internet ANYWHERE! thanks :)

September 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Hamptonheather

Wow, this season is crazy! Agreed with everything in the article, well written. I was loving life when I heard, "Anything, Anything" by Dramarama in the last episode! Great song, great memories!

August 27, 2010 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  4. G

This season has been great. You have to look at this season as just part of the ups and downs of a celebrity life, and its an arc that hasn't been told on Entourage yet. Really enjoying it.

August 27, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brooke

Um, I don't think we are SUPPOSED to like Vince right now. We weren't SUPPOSED to like Henry Gale/Ben Linus but we loved to hate him. This season gives an intensity and behind-the-scenes look at A-List Hollywood like we've rarely seen. Mark Whalberg and the rest of the Entourage engine have surely seen worse than the story they are telling through Vince.

August 26, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Wendy

Eagles – "Life's Been Good" at the end of the episode when the whole crew gets on the private jet to go back to Queens in style. Plus there is the line: 'my Maserati does 185 . . .' and the boys had just gotten Masaratis

August 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lamont

It might be season 5 episode 10 Seth Green day when Eric is driving all around town to meet Seth so he'll do Bow Wow's show and Day and Night by Kid Cudi is playing.

August 24, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. shaun

End of Season 6 Finale – Jay-Z's "In My Lifetime"

EPIC.

August 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dizz

I could not agree with you more. Truly Epic. Greatest ending to a season (almost) ever

August 25, 2010 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bobby Dee

Jay-Z's Lucifer song....... forget what season but remember how appropiate it was.......

August 24, 2010 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  10. Denis

I agree with B-dog. Until now most of us simply WATCHED Entourage and enjoyed (or not) the character's adventures (sans Ari, who was a pure driving force). But now, we're VESTED in Vince – which can only be a good thing. I hate what he's become but I can also see it's great TV. So, fingers crossed. I'm pulling for Johnny's monkey, BTW :-)
    To me the absolute best use of a song is the Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" – that was an emotional crescendo moment between Vince and Ari...

August 24, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  11. B-Dog

I like this... the rise and fall of a star and it's more interesting than everything being fixed in 2 or 3 episodes. Will 'Vince' figure things out? Wait and see...

Best musical moment? Season 5 Episode 10 'Vince has a problem' ending credits Shawn Anthony 'Beautiful Life'

August 23, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lamont Hart

The new Vince is terrible, but we have seen this from him before. Remember Mandy? He did the same thing then, not to this extent with the drugs and demands but close. This season doesn't have that Entourage swag it normally has. I don't know exactly what it is, but something is off this season. Jay Z's In My Lifetime Remix from season 6 season finale show after Eric and Sloan tells Vince and Drama their engaged. The credits roll and and you hear "What's the meaning what's the meaning of life". Perfect song at the perfect time. That's why I love the Entourage soundtrack.

August 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dee

I had the impression that this season, Vince's character was pulling a Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan. A drug user whose behavior is out of control and really can't be explained, all to be acted out on camera for the world to see while we are left scratching our heads in bewilderment. With Britney she cut her hair, used drugs and dated a paparazzi. Sounds like Vince to me.

August 23, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dani

Best music has to be when Ari is taking over his old agency from his mentor (Malcom McDowell) and the he walks off the elevator to "It's Me B****es" (don't know the artist)

August 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. SureShot

Rammstein's Du Hast blaring when Verner Vollstedt is charging through the studio offices looking for John Ellis.

August 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jime

Above the clouds-Gang Starr, When the stunt goes awry and Vince is walking from the wrecked SUV in the Cassavettes movie.

August 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  17. jb

Not sure which episode it was, but when Ari is rolling up to Josh Weinstein's beach party, and they play the roots song "dont say nuthin"

August 23, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Wifey

I am a lot over this season already. I am not a fan of this new Vince and Turtle is annoying! I'm also not feeling Drama who wanted his own show, but now is pitching a fit because he doesn't "like" the cartoon idea. Are we talking about grown men or little teen aged boys. I love the music though, but don't ask me for a tune because I'm horrible at remembering them. I will say that the music is always hitting at the right time.

August 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  19. mike

i think this is the best season in awhile BUT its getting boring,same stuff over and over,needs to end! turtles character is pathetic,hes a real businessman because he used his friends limo idea with his twist WITH VINCES MONEY!!! now he does this tequila crap with no money invested only to get vince on board,and he thinks hes a real big shot cuz hes a salesman,boring...its quite obvious how its going to get played out,again this is a great season but its old,vinces bad boy act would of terrific seasons ago,its a shame they had to introduce it here,heres how its going to play out before its all over,everything will be great..vince will get his act together and be on top and ari will fix all his problems,end of next season..boring

August 23, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  20. liz

As Ari struggles to calm down, E is taking control of his stuff...and learning he has to be harsh sometimes. Love it! And I vote that HBO picks up "Johnny goes Bananas", I would love to see that

August 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ron

Radiohead's "Fake Plastic Trees" when Vince wasn't sure if Ari was going to continue to be his agent with the studio head job and the plane takes off right when the song crescendo's

August 23, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Couldn't agree more with Ron! Fake Plastic Trees was hands down the best song for the scene in the history of the show!

August 24, 2010 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. Mike C in boston

You left out Kanye's "Good Life" when the boys hopped on his plane on their way to the Cannes Film Festival- great song in a perfect time!

August 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. db in dc

The Vince free fall is essential for actors. It's all about the ego. He never had one in previous seasons, but the new demands of getting his girfriend a roll, bossing study execs around, etc., is, from what i'd imagine, par for the course of Hollywood A-listers. Every so often you hear rumors of their demands, certain bottled water, certain furniture and fixtures in trailers, etc. This is something the average person can't comprehend, but when you are Hollywood Royalty, you can pretty much make any request/demand because if person X doesn't give it to you, then person Y will.

August 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • JW

This a good show. You can feel and live the characters devlopment throughout the seasons. The drastic change Vince truly defines the who Vince's reserection. Hopefully the show will contiue to be good.

August 28, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |