Aerosmith bassist says Tyler's doing 'Idol'
August 19th, 2010

Aerosmith bassist says Tyler's doing 'Idol'

The last time there were this many eyes on a major network decision, Conan O’Brien was still hosting “The Tonight Show.”

Since Ellen DeGeneres announced that she was leaving her post as an “American Idol” judge – on the heels of judge Simon Cowell's departure from the Fox show - everyone from Shania Twain to Chris Isaak to Jennifer Lopez has been named as a potential judge. (Talks with Lopez, however, were reportedly chilled because she had “too many demands.”)

One celeb who has consistently stayed connected to "Idol" in the headlines is Aerosmith's  Steven Tyler, and according to the band’s bassist, Tom Hamilton, Tyler's deal to judge the Fox competition is done.

Hamilton spoke with New Jersey newspaper The Star-Ledger for an interview that won’t be available in its totality until August 23. “Steven is doing `American Idol.' The ink is dry on that," Hamilton told the Star-Ledger reporter.

“Steven is someone who absolutely lives to be in front of an audience, and the people closest to him know how witty and entertaining he can be,” Hamilton went on. “I don't know if `American Idol' will be rock 'n' roll enough for him, but it is an opportunity for millions of people to see another side of Steven Tyler."

Fox, of course, has no comment on the rumors.

Filed under: Aerosmith • American Idol 2010 • Celebrities • Music • television

1. Joe Perry

Steven is a bad pick. As a judge, you occasionally have to tell people they suck. Steven doesn't want to do that, he wants to be adored by fans, you can't do that as a judge

September 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lisa B

Oh, I have seen plenty of bands in my time, but I do tend to obsess on Aerosmith. I agree that there are many bands out there that have withstood time, era, and genre. I guess I hear too much about the "one-hit-wonder" bands–the kind that come out with 1 fan-damn-tabulous song, and then you never hear about them again. I have seen many that have sucked it up, and others that remain true performers that are totally devoted to the fine art of creating actual music. AND, I'm always up for suggestions :)

August 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lisa B

I KNOW for a fact that I WILL be watching VERY INTENTLY! Maybe before some of you judge "The Demon of Screamin'" you should do some intellectual research on the FACTS on not only Steven Tyler, but on the rest of the band as well. I have been a total "Aerohead" for more years than I can remember. Aerosmith has graced the cover of "Rolling Stone" many times, they have gone through more $**t than any of us can even imagine, and their music is still EVOLVING to meet their ever-changing fan base. AND, despite their "break-ups" bad times, and rough spots, they still manage to get "Back in the Saddle" and perform on stage like no other band I have ever seen. AND the whole Jagger thing??? Do any of you realize just how differently each ban performs?? AGAIN–DO some intelligent thinking, reading and analyzing before forming opinions based on what others have said. Tyler WILL raise not only ratings, but will also raise the bar for upcoming talent; not much room for sub-standard performers. He is a perfectionist and a bit obsessive about every aspect of his music, and HE KNOWS his music!! Should make for an interesting season!!!

August 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • flyerdog

With all due respect, if they are the best band you've seen, you need to see more bands.

August 21, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Anon

Can you say BIG MOUTHED BONEHEAD!!! What a smarmy piece of crap....I hope he's having an affair, and Steven rats him out!

August 20, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. flyerdog

IF Tyler is able to open up the show to more rock oriented singers, then I am all for it. But then the show is called American IDOL, as in pop stars. I don't watch the show simply for this reason. As far as the Tyler/Jagger comparisons, pretty spot on (looks and musically). And the BEST American Band? hardly. In the early 80s they were all strung out on heroin, and thx to their mgt company they are not six feet under. Greatest American Rock band? no such thing, but if you had to choose, there are many possibilities, the most obvious being Van Halen...for no one in Aerosmith can touch the genius, creativity, composition, and ingenuity of Sir Edward Van Halen

August 19, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. B.Boop

Steven Tyler doing Idol ? I think that's a great idea. He'll be an asset to the show.

August 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mick-ie

Why people say that Steven copies Mick Jagger? Ok..they look alike..sure..but what do you guys expect? One to have a face lift so they will not look alike?

Maybe Mick should change his face so he will not look like Tyler. He should do a lip reduction, let his hair grow and give them a nice blond color...then we will call him "Blond sensation of rock and roll" ..and who knows? Maybe Tyler might use him in a new video clip and a new ballad.

Ohh Mick-ie you are soooo Mick-ie

August 19, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tammy

Brilliant!! whoever thought of Tyler should get an award.

August 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Erik

Yeah, a 62 year-old with dyed hair and a facelift... Real rock n' roll! Sad. He should pay Jagger royalties for copying his persona. All that Aerosmith can manage are syrupy ballads. He belongs on American Idol.

August 19, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Spence

I absolutely hate American Idol but will watch just because of Tyler – he is amazing.

August 19, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dr. Phil Good

The only good thing StevenTyler gave us is Liv.

August 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lady Gag

Hey if ego kept judges off AI, the table would be vacant LOL Old or not, he is hot

August 19, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eeke

If Steven were judging groupies perhaps he should do this, but not talent, just because he's been in a successful band longer than half of AI's audience has been alive does not mean he can or will recognize talent put before him. He is Ego walking and talking. I personally think this is a frightening prospect. not only the idea of looking at him close up weekly, but to hear his incoherent ramblings is the stuff nightmares are made of. Horrible idea, but the show has went downhill for a while now, instead of jumping the shark they are trying to go down it's throat in one shot.

August 19, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Don

Somebody has to be "the Simon" – otherwise, the show becomes an adult version of "American Juniors" (where they were so afraid of having somebody berating tweenage singers that they didn't show the actual "you advance / you don't" decisions, choosing instead to focus on the mothers of those who didn't make it).

August 19, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. RM

Give the spot to the Van Halen bros, they've got a lot of free time on their hands and are, after all, the best band in rock and roll history

August 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob Dylan

Wow!
      That would incredible...three judges...Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth!

August 19, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. RF

Last season was bad enough... having Tyler on it will not be a plus IMO. RIP American Idol...

August 19, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Lady Gag

Hey- is that a hair extension or has he got a badger lodged on the side of his head? (Wondering where I can get a skull necklace like that???) ST is just the shot in the arm that dead show needs! Luv ya Steven!!

August 19, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Goody

They haven't put out a good album for 10 years. They turned radio mainstream and lost all "rock" credibility – this is just the last step of any respectibility he had left. He's been screwing his band mates for years and now he pulls this crap! No longer a rocker – just another celebrity.

August 19, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Ed

I don't care who it is as long as its not Howard disgusting Stern

August 19, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Grondahl

FOX had better be careful. Bringing actual musicians on board could make them lose their tween fanbase. Frankly, Randy Jackson, Tyler, and Simon would have been a terrific panel. There's the guy from the rhythm section, the lead singer, and the guy who wants to make money off of you; how much more representative of the industry could you get?

August 19, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Ron G

Ok I'm back, sorry I had to work for a living, However, If Steven Tyler ripped off Mick Jagger then Elvis ripped off Evil Knieval! Tyler is king and would out perform Mick Jagger any day of the week. Furthermore 'Listener" every rock star that came after Aerosmith tried to duplicate them in every way possible..from stage style to the self-destructive lifestyle. The guy is still here making hits and kickin a$$! He has made a permanent impression on rock n roll period!

August 19, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Melissa

Surely Fox can find someone that looks better than this.

August 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • foil

Of course, because replacing that beauty queen Ellen Degenerate is so challenging....phooey.

August 19, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Jimmy

Steve Tyler is a huge perfectionist. He often criticizes his own band mates and producers for not following his standards of play. He is also regarded as one of the top hard rock vocals. So it should be interesting to hear remarks from a guy well aquainted with rock music. Especially since all current or previous judges are more tuned into pop.

August 19, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Scarlett

THIS makes me want to watch IDOL again!!

August 19, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kelly/Rabbit/AJ

My God he has good teeth, I just wonder who his dentist is....

August 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BB

Okay so far, NO J LO and that a GOOD THING!
    Steven should be interesting.

August 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. R.B.

The ONLY person that can EVER REPLACE SIMON COWELL is none other than ELTON JOHN....in fact I think Elton is better than Simon...he's brutal, charismatic, a legend, and just a great person.

August 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Aerosplats

Janie's got a crappy song about an elevator.

August 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Mary Beth Jamison

Have never been an IDOL fan but will watch it now that Steven Tyler is on it.........he'll be GR8!!

August 19, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Brenda

I may actually start watching it!

August 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. canada

Listener where do you get the Jagger thing from? He stole nothing from Mick. Let's have an example. Have you ever once seen them live?

August 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. donna

If the judges can possibly find 24 *fantastic* singers out of the hundred thousand they see, we might have a shot at a deserving winner, though that seems to have been very difficult for them in the past. But the millions of 12 year old girls who vote for hours aren't going to be swayed by Tyler's opinions. I love him, but I just don't see this as being enough to save the show. They need to change the voting and be more selective about who they put in the finals.

August 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joe

If Steven Tyler is Aerosmiths' Bassist, then is Tom Hamilton the singer?

August 19, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Listener

Why do people watch this show anyhow? It has yet to produce real talent. Only highly produced and auto-tune manipulated wannabees that ride their success from the show for one year then fall off.

August 19, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • donna

Yeah, like Kelly Clarkson, Chris Daughtry, Carrie Underwood, and Jennifer Hudson? They never went anywhere, right?

August 19, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. pam

Hope he dosent fall out of his chair!!!!!!

August 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  36. crystal

yea im not really a fan of the show other than the audition tapes (which are funny) but i will def. be watching now!!! i love steven tyler!!! im so excited to see him on air!!!

August 19, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Donlizard

If this is true Steven Tyler, has lost all of his credibility, being a judge for a karaoke contest.

The world is coming to an end!

August 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. sandrakae

Isn't this the guy that fell out the tree?

August 19, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron G

Keith Richards fell out of a tree, Steven Tyler fell off of the stage....on a couple of occasions.

August 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  39. innovativefx

Nice! Simon has been biting contestants' heads off for years, now they have somebody that can literally do it with that freakishly huge mouth of his.

August 19, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  40. stu

Am I the only one that has seen this guy do an inteview? He can hardly finsh a sentence and his command of the English language is horrible. Who in their right mind thought this guy would be anything other than an embarassment to the show. Not that it really matters to me. Liv will be asking her daddy to "Please quit the show and stop humiliating me".

August 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • OMGurKiddingMeRight

How could ANYBODY be an embarrassment to American Idol ????

August 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • vibecat

I agree with you Stu, he can barely finish a sentence. But then again, Idol is becoming an embarrassment anyways, so I guess he will fit in fine. I know I am done watching now, I can't stand to watch this guy talk.

August 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  41. WHAT?

LAME!!!

August 19, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Teej

I've been crazy about ST for over 35 years. I might actually watch that stupid show just to see how may times he gets bleeped. Aerosmith ROCKS!

August 19, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Gen

God I hope he does host. I LOVE Steven Tyler!

August 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Lisa

This is great news...he is such a Diva...should be fantastic...now, can we please move Survivor back to Wednesday or I won't be watching Idol at all.

August 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tom tom

Steve is from Boston and the #1 rock and roll band!!!

August 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  46. boocat

I have never watched this stupid show but if Tyler comes on board, I just might.

August 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aerofansinceage12

I agree. I've never watched AI in the past, it doesn't hold my interest. However, with my man Steven on the panel, I MUST watch!

August 19, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  47. pauly meant

Steven Tyler PJ's, Steven Tyler PJ's!

August 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  48. lance corporal

ellen wasn't enough of a diva, tyler should fit the bill

August 19, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  49. pauly says

Steven Tyles PJ's, Steven Tyles PJ's!

August 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  50. I Like It!

Steven Tyler is a perfectionist; he has a great ear. He also will say anything...this should be interesting to say the least. Can't wait!

August 19, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  51. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

This show is still living on the edge.

August 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. vizman

I haven't watched the last couple of seasons, including this one. I'm finished watching it. The show should be cancelled already.

August 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Qodex

...and yet here you are, still reading articles and talking about it

August 19, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  53. 80'sfan

I was hoping for Bret but I like Tyler too. Hope it works out for him.

August 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Name Witheld

If he is doing the show, then more power to him. I like Aerosmith, and I like Steven Tyler. It just may be a good fit. Just hope this season they actually go with the best ones, and not pick the underdog. The last two seasons the ones who should've won, came in 2nd. I'm still trying to figure out how Snooze Allen, erm Kris Allen managed to beat out Adam Lambert. And how could Crystal Bowersox lose to Lee DeWyze ? Unbelievable !

August 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • DenverGrl

You can't blame the judges for those choices. You have to blame the viewers! They decided that. Personally, I'm kind of glad that Adam Lambert didn't win. Can you imagine him doing the wholsome Idol thing? I don't think so. He's soooo much better on his own without AI folks telling him what he can and can't do.

August 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • sue

couldn't have said it better myself!

August 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • donna

They won because of the demographic of the people who vote the most frequently. Adam and Crystal are by far more talented than the winners, but who appealed most to girls?

August 19, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Little Drummer Boy

I wonder what the drummer said about Tyler being a judge?

August 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. XFACTOR

THIS SHOW IS DONE and in the past. X factor is the Future.

August 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Qodex

...and yet here you are, still reading articles about it, and even taking time to post comments.

August 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. N

Oh sure, everyone listens to the bassist.

August 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

They do if his name is Paul McCartney....still the best bassist on the planet.

August 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • tom tom

Not the best bassist, but a really good writer. his bass work is actually quite simple

August 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • zbtrocker

Tom Hamilton is the man.

August 19, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • KB

Geddy Lee far better/talented bassist

No question Neil Peart is "God of the skins"!

August 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stephen

I named my groundhog Geddy Lee!

August 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • tim

If you want to discuss who the best bassist is, just put on a Grateful Dead cd and listen to Phil Lesh... then we'll talk.

August 19, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • StateOfMaine

Phil is a great player, but so is John Entwistle, and, and, and,.........

August 19, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

Best bassist is so subjective – Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus, James Jamerson, Billy Sheehan, Mike Watt, Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Jimmy Haslip, Bootsy Collins, Rocco Prestia – all great, all very different players.

August 19, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Grondahl

Alex Webster, John Myung, Victor Wooten. List goes on; good bassists are invaluable.

August 19, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Saganhill

Nooooo, John Entwistle is/was the best bassist on the planet.

August 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Marnie

Good choice with Tyler, looking forward to seeing him on the show. Kara – thank gawd and greyhound you're gone.

August 19, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Ron G

Of course he'll make a good judge. He is the king of rock as far as I'm concerned!

August 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Listener

King of Rock? Really? How can I a guy who ripped off his entire persona and stage presence from Mick Jagger be the King of Rock? Doesn't originality count for anything?

August 19, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • StateOfMaine

Elvis will always be the King of Rock-n-Roll.......

August 19, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pete

He's the king of rock? There ain't none higher?

August 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

Tyler didn't rip off his look from Jagger – he's just got the homely face and big lips going on. Otherwise, he's an original and I can't wait to see him on idol.

August 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • JWit

Ron,
      You are dead on! He is the King and I will start watching as I never have in the past.

Listener,
      You should back some of that Mick stuff up with.. oh, I don't know, some sort of facts other than your opinion. Steven is part of the best American rock band ever. They sold more albums than the Stones and/or Zepplin. That and the fact that they have stayed relevent for 40 long years and remained on all the charts is evidence of their quality. GET REAL! To hell with Grandpa Mick and the rest of those washed up rockers still playing their jams from the 70's (and relying on them since their new stuff blows!).

August 19, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • f

His bandmates should KICK HIM OUT OF THE BAND for selling out on this stupid show.....LOSER...

August 19, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • joe

Run DMC saved Aerosmith's career with Walk This Way. They were on the verge of losing their record deal after the 70's.

August 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tulio Afracaluche

He is hardly the king of Rock n Roll.
      He is a major talent though. He does have experience and he can be entertaining. What they need is Simon back. Maybe he is burnt out.
      They also may benefit by getting Charo as a judge!

August 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Lucy

Not too sure if he will make a good judge.....I will be watching though !!

August 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrBo

It would be cool if it turned more towards rock with him there, but I doubt it...

August 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike, Dallas

I think Steven Tyler would be an excellent choice because judging from his interviews and attending his shows, he is a stickler for specifics; quality; and can be oftentimes critical... So hats off to IDOL if he is indeed going to be a Judge. Jennifer Lopez????? REALLY???!!! And oh.. Let me search my office for my surprised face.. but Ms. Lopez had too many demands.. REALLY???

August 19, 2010 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • sa

I think he will be awesome. Not only does he have 40-50 years experience. He is incredibly charismatic and just what the show needs – musical talent plus phenominal stage presence which is what Idol has been missing for a while. You Rock Steven!

August 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • mr keno

how about his daughter liv instead
      a hell of a lot easier to look at

August 19, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |