Julia Roberts: Can't we just eat and love?
August 18th, 2010

Julia Roberts: Can't we just eat and love?

While Julia Roberts is out promoting her new film “Eat, Pray, Love,” she’d rather not talk about the “Pray” parts of her own life.

According to JustJared.com, the actress said Wednesday that she doesn’t like to discuss her religious beliefs in public.

“I’ve realized something my mother told me 22 years ago,” she told the audience gathered at an "Eat, Pray, Love" press conference in Tokyo, Japan. “You’re an actor, act. Don’t talk about politics or religion.”

Roberts grew up with a Catholic mother and Baptist father, but told Elle magazine that she was “definitely a practicing Hindu.” Roberts and her family go to temple to “chant and pray and celebrate” together, she said.

In the movie, Roberts plays a recently-divorced woman looking to better herself in three different areas – pleasure, devotion and life balance.

The 42-year-old actress’s new movie was released on August 13 and debuted second to “The Expendables” over the weekend, earning $23.7 million at the box office.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. sense

bollywood movies online and free

October 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Scott

She DOES talk politics. She's been pretty vocal about her dislike of the Republican party. Which is why I don't watch her movies anymore.

August 19, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. just a thought

isn't the point of any religion (or NO religion [athiest]) to be at peace? whether it's peace with the world, or peace with a deity, or peace with an afterlife (or lack of an afterlife), or ultimately peace within one's self...

August 19, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
    • b roberts

Great point! We are all dying at different rates, don't fight, don't argue, don't question because there really is no point. I have nothing against religions but realize that you are just experiencing a moment in time. If you had been born pre-Christ you would have followed Zeus or various "Sun and Rain Gods". There are many good people from many different religions but in the end it doesn't matter if or which, because we will all be dead.

August 19, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Rich Jones

Christianity is the worlds largest religion and less than 30% of the world's people are Christians. What that means is that no matter WHAT religion you believe in, more than 70% of the world thinks you are wrong. To me, that seems like a good reason to leave some doubt in my faith and to think a little less exclusively. It certainly means that just for purposes of getting along, I need to find a way to live with the differences.

August 19, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Suz

Julia's absolutely right: her religion is her own business, and it's her prerogative if she wants to discuss it or not, just like my Judaism is my business, and your faith (or lack thereof) is your business. Nobody has any right to analyze or criticize someone else's faith.

August 19, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. guest

Moderator, nice to know that only Christian bashing posts are allowed. Thanks for the censorship!

August 19, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mort Kemnon

I actually like the philosophy that was bestowed upon her: "act – you arent much smarter than that so dont pretend to be something in real life that you arent"
    Thats my wording but i think most actors could stand to live by that thought. Most entertainers arent worth much more than any of us when they are off-screen.

August 19, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Toni Law

Hinduism is not actually a religion but a way of living. Different Gods make you tolerant for different ideas. Hinduism like
    Buddism names the good virtues and does not forbid anything, everybody is welcome – no discrimination against
    non-believers. The caste system which may have been right in those days, because children learned their future
    occupation from their parents, does not go with today´s times and has to be changed. A peaceful religion, which never conquered countries to spread the religion, never forced poeple of other religions to change their religion, pay heavy taxes or fight before God. It is a deeply peaceful religion, tolerating all ideas, this is a highly democratic!

August 19, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Samyukta

Thanks Toni Law. You couldn't have said it better. I would like to extend this further. Hinduism comprises many mythology stories which were added over many thousands of years. The sages or the hermits in the past have added the stories. Hinduism doesn't have a Holy book equivalent to that of a Bible or a Quran. The Yoga and Ayurveda are all tied in to the mythology stories. Some of the Gods in Hinduism are not perfect at all and we have stories about their flaws. I am a Hindu and I am not religious, but I like the mythology stories a lot. It makes interesting read (funny and there is always a moral to the story) when I was young. Many Indian movies have been taken on these mythology stories and it is hilarious to watch some of the Hindu Gods fleeing, manipulating, ranting or hiding from something. Make no mistake, there are Gods in every respect, with magic and power, etc, but there is a human aspect that is associated to them and they is why they have some of the flaws that we find it in ourselves.

Yes, Toni is correct. There is no converting anybody to Hinduism. Maybe, Julia Roberts like the mantras (or slokas) whily she chants them in the temple. Some of them could be soothing. Or maybe she likes the mytholody stories....

I hope I have captured what I wanted to convey in this post....

August 19, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. PEOPLE! LISTEN!

Fake. Movie fake. Julia fake. Liz Gilbert in real life, and Julia Roberts in the movie, did NOT says, "It's my life!! I'm going for it!" Liz Roberts was paid a $200,000 advance to write a book. It was NOT a woman's wonderful journey to find herself, it was a paid job. Just like Julia's acting/spouting her beliefs so that Julia admirers can make it theirs is fake. Get your own life. Stop listening to actors. They are acting. They are not real.

August 19, 2010 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lori

She is the one that brought it up in the first place! She makes this big announcement that she has left a monotheistic faith like Christianity to become a Hindu and worship blue, multi-armed, false gods. If she didn't want comments, she should have kept her big mouth shut.

August 19, 2010 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. 2012

Religion,religion,religon, my,my. All that I can tell you is that there is a GOD. And that GOD is about to prove to you all, He runs the show. (I know) if he runs the show why are things so bad. 1:He doesn't interfear with free will. 2: he left us in charge to run things.(failed) 3: He left things simple for us, and we made it a mess. 4:People dont want to be told on how to live. I can go on and on the only good thing that I know is that GOD the father of JESUS and I is about to change the world think about it every 2000+ yrs he changes things frist the 10commandents about 2000yrs later JESUS. it's been 2000yrs give or take. For those who don't belive all that I ask of you is to keep an open mind and watch thats all that I ask of you. For those that do belive your going to say THANK GOD FINALLY. Give it 7 to 12mons. May JESUS keep you all.

August 19, 2010 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Leslie Townsend

Respectfully request that you read the book or better yet listen to the audio version read by Gilbert. I am perplexed about the reason to create a movie version aside from the fact that it was a marketing expectation. The book has a depth and voice that can clearly never be pulled off by anyone other than the author. Indulge in the original and then comment......I guarantee your perspective will be different.

August 19, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. whatnext

“You’re an actor, act. Don’t talk about politics or religion.” As she gives a magazine interview and talks about her family's religious practices. I read elsewhere that it's her and the kids that go to temple; her husband is not at all happy with her choice of religion for their kids.

August 19, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. Beth

I went to Julia Roberts newest movie "Eat, Pray, Love" and was so disappointed...I wanted to leave half way through it! I realize that it's a story about a woman finding herself after a divorce but this movie went on an on...2 1/2 hours to be exact! What a sleeper...this could have been done in 30 minutes! This is her worst movie!

August 18, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hindu

@JR Jake
    You don't know what you are talking about. Sharing with others is much more common india and if you lived in india you would know. Every culuture has its own cycles..if catch some society in in a downward trend doesn't mean the core values are incorrect.. I personally believe all religions have the same goals but different paths. A religion doesn't make society and vice versa..people make a society and they behave differntly over the time falling in and out of good paths and bad paths..

August 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Maire

"Why can't we just eat and love?"

Please show me a real practicing Hindu who would say something so vapid. Or a real anything else for that matter. Rich, beautiful white people who take their designer kids to the shiny, exotic Hindu temple and they think they've found religion. Hollywood really is another planet. It's so predictably shallow that I can't say I'm surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

August 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • here

why must race be brought into it? once we stop putting emphases on race, then there won't be an emphases on race. She's already stated that she would never be a true Hindu because she is not from India, she just embraces their thoughts.

August 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • A.

I don't know if Julia Roberts actually said, "Can't we just eat and love?" in those exact words. I think the headline was a reference to her comment that she doesn't like discussing religion in public.

August 19, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. Colin

Finally, a hollywood airhead that says something smart. She voices the fact that actors should not discuss politics or religion. If the rest of hollywood would follow that simple principle (as in not stating you are hindu in an interview), things would be a lot simpler and we wouldn't have to hear about Sean Penn's latest cause.

August 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scottie V

No one should discuss religion, really. It is a thing which is highly personal, and should not be brought into others' lives unless invited. Do religious folks not realize how much they only alienate those around them when they try to "Save" them? I could care less about other peoples religious causes, regardless of celebrity status.

August 18, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. too green

All religions are wrong. It's just made up crap that people buy into.

August 18, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

Thank God, (pun intended), that we have you to save us. What would we ever do if you weren't here to teach us what's right?

August 18, 2010 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. bob roberts

I didn't mean to knock Julia Robert's belief in Hinduism. From what I understand about Hinduism (through friends who are Hindu) is that it is not a religion in the Christian/Muslim sense. It is more of a philosophy on life. I think Hinduism means "the eternal law." And Hinduism is also the world's oldest religion.

I think in Hinduism that the philosophy of life to death is just a cycle it doesn't have any of the "Santa Claus for Grown-Ups" mentality found in the Judeo-Christian belief system. Just "be" there is no bartering with a God to get into heaven or avoid Hell. In that sense it is most like Atheism if I am correct.

In the history of the world there has never been any proof for any God, whether Christian or Hindu. But religion keeps people from killing each other I guess – err...WRONG!...I meant religion mostly keeps people content, sociable, and docile and probably Happy as well in its own displacement of logic way. Life is so short if believing in something fulfills you personally GO FOR IT!

p.s. I also saw her years ago at a bar. She is outstanding and strikingly beautiful in real life; very sharp features and radiant skin and hair. Her eyes were absolutely glowing as well.

August 18, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • bmiller

Bob, maybe the idea of having to answer to someone else for your own actions is the thing you most hate; the venom in your words when you speak of "bartering" with God.

Who are you to bash someone's Christianity? Why is it en vogue to bash Christianity, but turn around and demand tolerance for Muslims? Its hypocrisy. If you are going to preach tolerance, be tolerant.

But you cant. Because, the truth is, Jesus said the world would HATE Him because He convicts them that their works are evil. And, He said that anyone who follows Him, the world will hate, too. Your (and society's) hatred of Christianity proves Jesus right. Its funny, actually. Isnt it interesting that your very actions prove the Bible right?

August 18, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob roberts

I do admire how the Bible has all the angles covered. So Jesus said he would be hated for his beliefs, how complete of him to do so. I don't mean to bash Christianity either. There are plenty of wonderful churchgoing Christians. However, maybe recognize why you go to church. The social connection, the need to make reconciliation with death, the cupcakes at bake sales.

Personally, I think church is great...well, except for how it stunts science and progress that advances our civilization long after Jesus is forgotten like Zeus or a Mayan God. Church gets you out of bed on Sunday and you get to go meet friends, sounds like a great plan! I wish I had a church where I could go and volunteer and contribute and socialize on Sunday afternoon without being beaten over the head with Heaven/Hell bs. We are all going to pass away and it won't matter who, what, or where we believed in. That is a fact. A sad fact.

Let's say you were introduced to the concept of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as a child but NO ONE ever told you they did not exist. You just sort of figured it out for yourself by the age of 10 or so. Now lets say religion, any religion, was introduced to you when you are 25 or 30. Would you believe? Or would you say to yourself...well, Santa turned out not to be real and I discovered that for myself, what are the odds that Jesus was real too? remember the bible was written decades if not hundreds of years after Jesus was supposedly alive. Think how even small stories get rewritten as they are passed along. What if you were born in culture and time different than than the one you were?

It is always funny how Christians get angry at something they should be so sure and secure about, so unChrist like. I never heard of Hindu going to other countries giving people a bowl of rice for listening to a sermon (hopefully converting them to and their families) so maybe that wacky Julia Roberts is onto something.

August 19, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
    • emmanuel olakunle ojo

Like julia earlier said "never to talk about religion or politics" everyone has the right to whatever thing he/she want to serve, but remember that the only true way as stated in the book of "John 3v16" in the Holy Bible is JESUS IS THE TRUE WAY TOLIFE.

August 19, 2010 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
    • willow

"Just "be" there is no bartering with a God to get into heaven or avoid Hell. In that sense it is most like Atheism if I am correct. " By Bob Roberts

What rubbish! Hinduism is definitely nothing go to do with Atheism and if you read the holy books like Gita, Vedas .there's plenty of mentioning God. Hinduism is more closely related to Theist rather than Athiest.

February 6, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  20. Relationship Practicer

I'd like to know when people are going to figure out God is a "RELATIONSHIP", not a named religion....people from all "religions" so called, will be in Heaven because they had a RELATIONSHIP with Jesus....not a religion.

August 18, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nyla

Not every religion believes in Heaven (or Jesus for that matter). So you are shining with ignorance through your alleged acceptance of others.

August 19, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. bob roberts

You can't take that she is a Hindu seriously. Actors and women tend to live by mood rather than reason. Maybe it will stick but more likely she will revert back or become an Atheist, the only legitimate belief system.

August 18, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bob's an idiot

"Actors and women tend to live by mood rather than reason"? And men think with their d!<ks....what's your point? I find it quite reasonable to assume that you are an arrogant misogynist who knows very little about the Christian faith. Oh, I'm sorry, am I being too moody for you, Bob? Let me cry into my PhD. Tool.

August 18, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • BMiller

So, atheism is the only legitimate belief system? Arent you doing the very thing you knock Christians for?

August 18, 2010 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gmom123

Ha! Good point.

August 19, 2010 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Gmom123

And I am a Christian, BTW. I just find the point valid.

August 19, 2010 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  22. Rebecca

Why so judgmental, everyone? She didn't say anything obnoxious about her religious beliefs – she's not trying to impose them on anybody else or suggest she knows better than anybody else.

For what it's worth, I met her years ago at a bar in Dublin and she could not have been more gracious when my college friends and I pestered her.

August 18, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Marky

Like a lot of people, Julia wants to pick the parts of Hinduism she likes and leave the rest alone and out of mind. Kind of like a made-up religion. Let's call it Julinduism, since she can do the parts she likes, and leave out the parts she doesn't.

August 18, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reader

This is different from Christianity how?

August 18, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SurRy

"This is different from Christianity how?"

LOL!

August 19, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Chet

All Religion is made up. Elements from rituals and practices from primitive history have evolved and been passed down or assimilated into different religious practices, for example, the use of fire, incense or water. "Dressing up" or wearing certain empowering or humbling regalia is common in many religious practices. Also, a deity does not necessarily have to be worshiped in religious practices. Thus, a person may live their life religiously by adhering to a set of rituals and practices that enrich and give focus to their own life.

August 19, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  24. mahbawls

I heard Julia Roberts is a bi*** in real life lol – really arrogant/snobby according to some of my relatives that saw her at an airport.

August 18, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • getalife

Glad to hear that you never had a bad day – especially when you were trying to travel with your family and people kept bugging you. It's wonderful that there are perfect people in the world like you and your relatives. Get over yourselves.

August 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • A.

I would probably be really snotty too if some strangers came up to me and bothered me in an airport.

August 19, 2010 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  25. dgmgdm

its all so stupid

August 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  26. YaKelb

please, please, oh please, let her shave her head and bang a tambourine at an airport looking for handouts...please, please, krishna!

August 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mahesh

What makes you think that being Hindu means shaving head and taking hand outs.. etc. Hinduism is just as great religion as any if not better with its own fault as any other. Before criticizing look into your religion and see if it is fault free. Cheers!

August 18, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • hmmmmm

Baloney!!

August 18, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Reader

That's the Hare Krishnas you ignorant buffoon.

August 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • JR Jake

When you look at the religions of the world, the one qualifier that delineates many is their belief in helping and assisting others through maintenance and function. The one thing I find lacking in the Hindu belief is that beyond oneself, others are just an extension of the world around them. When you look at the tremendous poverty, pestilence and plight of India and other regions primary to Hinduism, it is remarkable that inroads have not been a major focus on that front in a very long time. It might be a great mediatation tool for those practicing but until prosperity or just plain sustenance for the people becomes an emphasis of that 'religion' I don't see the extreme benefit others do. I guess I am far sighted as was diagnosed at a early age.

August 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hindu Funk

Well hindus love pee rituals , theraputic drinking

August 19, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Human

YaKelb, very true. I guess the other choice for her was to blackmail parents of sick, hungry kids to change their religion if they wanted medicines and/or food for the kids. Right?

August 19, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
    • mojo nixon

yeah, that clearly isn't a joke about Hindus, but of Hare Krishnas. I've only ever seen Hare Krishnas in Philly and NY (and there used to be a stereotype about them hanging out at airports). If you've ever seen them, you might think they're a cult and if you're Hindu, you probably are confused by them.

August 19, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Lilly Whyte

Aaaah...I love to hear ignorant people poking of something they know nothing about. Religion is a deeply personal thing. If she wants to be private about it, let her be. I'm sure all you silly monkeys have plenty YOU don't like to talk to people about.

August 19, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |