January Jones joins 'X-Men'
August 18th, 2010

January Jones joins 'X-Men'

January Jones may be stepping out of Betty Draper’s staid ‘60s styles and slipping into something a little more slinky – the “Mad Men” actress has reportedly joined the cast of the upcoming “X-Men: First Class” movie.

According to Deadline.com, 32-year-old Jones will play Emma Frost, aka the White Queen, a gorgeous telepath who works her magic in an abs-revealing belly shirt and skin-tight pants.

The “X-Men” prequel already has a first-class cast, including James McAvoy as Xavier; Rose Byrne as Xavier’s love interest; Oliver Platt  as the Man in Black;  Zoe Kravitz as Angel and Kevin Bacon as a bad guy. And oh, yes, there’s also a slew of other mutants.

“I think it will be really cool to see all these guys doing their stuff,” the film’s director told MTV News of his growing cast of characters.

“You understand where these characters have come from, and you obviously know where they're going," he added, "but to see that very important point of their lives where they're discovering their power and working out their ethical take on what to do with their power is a very interesting story to tell."

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. tyre

bollywood movies online and free

October 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Holly Golightly

Hey Jon...Mad Men is a great show that has been nominated for multiple Emmys (including Best Actress–January Jones) and won Best Drama for several years. I am 31 and it's my fave show. I do not remember the 50s or 60s because I was not alive.

August 19, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. comment

oh, and btw, most comic book babes are drawn way more voluptious than people in real life, so it's not exactly easy to find women who are that curvy or well-endowed and can still act.

August 19, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. comment

i'm in that 20's crowd, and even though i've never seen mad men, i know who january jones is. she's got the blonde lockes, a youthful face, and it seems like she'd look good in white, so i don't know why people are griping.

August 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Landru

DId I mention that I'd hit that?

August 18, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Clete

You woke me up for this?

August 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Clete (as in someone kicked you in the head with his cleats?) Someone woke you up? No, genius, you clicked on the story, read it, logged on, then felt the desperate need to post your idiotic comment.

August 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Landru

And hit that!

August 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Landru

And hit that

August 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Landru

I'd hit that

August 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. shirley

I never heard of January Jones. Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Then turn your TV and watch one of the most smartest and best reviewed dramas playing. Funny how people like Shirley feel the need to post their ignorance to the world.

August 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. D

January Jones is stunningly pretty – but to someone's point, she IS thin. It's not horrible casting as she's certainly lovely enough for the role, but Emma Frost was always drawn in a voluptuous manner. My bigger problem with her is her acting is suspect. (See her SNL appearance.)

I'd rather see Christina Hendricks in a superhero movie if we're gonna start throwing Mad Men chicks around. That woman is simply PERFECT.

August 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ej

I love January Jones

August 18, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. n

Jon, while I don't think January Jones should portray Emma Frost, your thoughts on casting are what caused 90s superhero movies to fail. Hard.

August 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Jon

I have no idea who this woman is. Never saw Mad Men, never really had a desire to see it. Lets face it – Mad Men is a show for the 40+ crowd back who would remember the old way of the '50's business were and are nostalgic for those times. Especially the crowd who are deep into corporate and office culture.

That being said, I'm sure that many in the generation who grew up on the X-Men comic books and today's generation have absolutely no idea who she is either. I'm talking the kids-to-20's crowd that enjoy comic-book movies. And do you think these demographics watched Mad Men? Absolutely not. Not unless the 20 year old yuppie was an office worker who wanted to watch a show about . . . His work?! Seriously, I only base this on the picture I see here and does she look like Emma Frost? In a sort of a squint-your-eyes-and-imagine-it-in-your-head sort of way, sure, I guess I can see it. But, lets face it – the Emma Frost that I remember in the comics and today's cartoons was sultry, sassy, with a hard-cold edge to her as well as manipulative, cutt-throat, and her own way of dangerous.

I think that Hollywood should have picked a better choice. Plus, lets face it, the Emma Frost portrayed in the comics and cartoons . . . . . Well, lets just say that I don't think this woman can fill her cup size. The Emma Frost I remember had something along the lines of a Double-D or Triple-D set, plus she was leggy. Very long legs.

A better choice for that? Maybe Anna Nicole Smith in her prime. Pamela Anderson in her prime. Jenna Jameson? Scarlett Johanson? That blonde A.D.A. with glasses from Law and Order Special Crimes Unit? Okay, that might be a stretch – but I think Hollywood is mis-matching roles and need to listen to the core audience members more than the usual Hollywood jibe. Needed someone that the kids-to-20's demographics at least know! Mad Men? Are you serious?! C'mon, people!

August 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Boy-O

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you. You waould rather hire talentless bimbos to be in a movie (Pam and ANS) rather then someone with talent? Look nerd I get that you think that the actress needs to look like the comic charecter you made sock bats over but this is a much better choice.

Also Mad Men is an amazing show that you should actually try watching or at least reading about before you express your ignorance about iy

August 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wallflower

So because she landed a role in one television show based in the 60s she is disqualified from acting in anything current? She is only 32 years old. What should she do for the rest of her career, keep doing retro parts? Dumb. Really dumb.

August 18, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • JeffGo5

Someone 40+ yearns for the days of the 50's. I'm 42 and was born in ? 1967 you dope. I was there reading these comics before you were even thought of, you're opinion is invalid.

August 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Captain Obvious

Yeah, that damn 40+ crowd. Let's see, 40 years ago was 1970. I'm 47, I really miss the 50's. And, you know, you're right, they should get Anna Nicole Smith in her prime to do a movie. Keep up the great posts!

August 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • note

"generation who grew up on the X-Men comic books", "I'm talking the kids-to-20's crowd"
      you are aware that the x-men comic started publication in 1963 with sales being highest from 1975 onwards.
      that means many people who 'grew up on x-men' for what about 15-20 years longer then your 'demographic'.

August 18, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Amazing how much space one can take up with such inane (for you: stup!d) commentary.

August 18, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. JJ

That redhead from Mad Men should be cast to play... someone... anyone really. Get her in there

August 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. CATom

Oh man this is awsome. I just knew lady gaga would start acting at some point! Just because she is a he with an adams apple doesn't mean she/he is not a multi-talented singer/dancer/actor/etc. Yeah lady gaga go get 'em dude!

August 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Treva

booooo. i would care more if it were Zoe Saldana or someone

August 18, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • DC

Zoe Saldana as the White Queen, obviously you have no idea who The White Queen is. That's just stupid

August 18, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

I concur....Storm would have been a more logical answer :-p

August 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. N

That's unfortunate.

August 18, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Kris

Another bang up job in the editing room guys. You have a 5 paragraph story and 2 paragraphs are just quotes from "the film's director". The guy makes up nearly half of the article and you don't even say his name? It's Matthew Vaughn, by the way.

August 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Pete

Kevin Bacon's playing bad guy? Oh man, I love bad guy! He's so bad!

August 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Cambria Remington

i love her– such a doll!

August 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Guest

She has about an eighth of the body of Emma Frost.

August 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |