Suri Cruise plays stylist for mom Katie Holmes
August 17th, 2010

Suri Cruise plays stylist for mom Katie Holmes

Cupcake-loving Suri Cruise is one tough little cookie.

According to mom Katie Holmes, the 4-year-old fashionista not only picks out and styles her own clothes, but she also tells Holmes what to wear.

In the fall fashion issue of New York magazine, Holmes revealed that growing up in a family of five, she often wore hand-me-downs but refashioned them to make them fresh. “Suri and I do that now with her clothes. Or rather, she does it,” explained the 31-year-old actress. “She says, ‘I want this sleeve cut,’ and it’s like, ‘Okay, we’ll cut it.’”

Holmes, who created the Holmes & Yang clothing line, added that her little girl has been picking out her own wardrobe since she was just over a year old, and the star continues to foster that independence by having her home-schooled.

“She has a teacher who is with her every day. We like the one-on-one education,” said Mrs. Tom Cruise. “I’m happy that my daughter is strong-willed and determined. You really have to go with what the child is wanting."

And she means that literally. Holmes said, “Tom and I went to the Met ball a couple of years ago, and I had this beautiful red gown and these royal-blue shoes that I wasn’t planning on wearing, but Suri made me put them on, and so I was like, ‘Okay, I trust you.’”

1. sdeidremarie

You reap what you sow! Just wait til cute little Suri hits ,...oh, I don't know,..say 12 years old? Have fun then Mr. and Mrs. cruise! Children need boundaries, this child has none.

August 21, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joan

I can understand the home schooling thing since she is only 4... but eventually she really needed the socialization that interaction with her peer group will provide. I'm sure there are plenty of good private, safe and secure schools out there. She, the mother better start raising her, instead of letting her run the show. shades of Brittany and LL behavior will result if she doesn't.

August 20, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maureen

"OK, I trust you." ???? She trusts a four year old. What's wrong with this picture? Who's the parent? Who's the child? This kid is going to have no idea of how to survive as a human being. She's going to think everyone has to do what she thinks. A recipe for disaster.

August 20, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  4. AP

It's just clothes whats the big deal?????

August 19, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kareen

No other words to descripe the parents. They are NUTS

August 19, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. AHA

So that explains why in several pics of Suri you see her in dead of winter without a coat on and everyone else bundled up. Got it.

August 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mother of three

My little girl has not allowed me to pick out her clothes since she was old enough to stand at the dresser to pick them herself. We do not have the same taste AT ALL!!!! I knew I was in trouble when she went to the full length mirror to see how her back side looked in her "outfit". The child would happily wear high heeled shoes every single day of the year if she were allowed. As it is, she walks around on her tippytoes constantly to achieve that "high-heeled" look (her words) and has better calf muscles than I do at age 5! As long as all the important parts are covered, and she can keep up on the playground with her big brothers-well, who cares what she wears!! Sheesh

August 19, 2010 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. allison

I don't like to tell other people how to raise their kids. This is just a comment on what I think of it. Creativity is wonderful. However children also crave structure.

My problem with the way Katie describes this is that Suri choses her own cloths. She doesn't say anything about Suri taking her mothers ideas. Suri choses her mothers cloths, with no regard to her mother's opinion.

It may be cloths right now, but I wonder when is Suri going to get the basic respect in order to foster an understanding of equality. It's not my kid, and therefore I don't really have a say. However, the children don't make the rules. They can create as much as they want, but they need barriers that say 'you will respect me and my ideas as I respect you and yours'. Just my opinion on the subject.

August 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Brooke

"DEAR GOD! They let a child pick out its own clothes! What terrible parents!" ...you people are morons. I bet the kids you raised arent creative in the slightest. They probably hate you for cloistering them and trying to stamp out any bit of creativity. Letting kids try new things helps them to figure out what they like. No real travesty happened by letting her daughter pick her shoes out. Its not like they had Suri choosing from knives to use or cigarettes to smoke. Chill out you freakin dweebs.

Maybe your kids pick out fugly clothes for you because you dress like crap. Not all kids are stupid like yours, some are smart AND talented.

August 18, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Andrina

I let my child dress me all the time. It flourishes his creativity. He's such a little fashionista.

August 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. joybellone

Just because these people are in the spotlight often does not mean we know EVERY SINGLE THING THEY DO! You do not know what goes on in their lives unless they want you to know. So her daughter picked out her shoes...big deal! If they had been hideous, I'm sure Katie Holmes (and her stylist) would have chosen a different pair. It seems to me that Katie and Suri spend lots of time together and Suri seems like a very happy child. I live with a teenage girl who doesn't hear "No" very often (and never has) and she's still a good kid.

August 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gail Snail

There is nothing wrong with encouraging Suri's creativity when it comes to fashion. My own daughter hardly ever heard the word "NO" while growing up because there was little reason to say "NO". I survived her teen-age rebellion years of Rocky Horror. She is now the mother of 2 children – a 6 year old boy & a 2 1/2 year old girl. She has started picking out her clothes each morning and seems to be making some good choices. Nothing outrageous–mixing plaids with polka-dots. LOL!

Encourage your children's creativity.

August 17, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dddd

This poor little kid will be bored with life by the time she is 16. These parents need to teach her how to work for something and learn how to say no every now and then. Suri will never learn how to survive on her own in the real world.

August 17, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. umm...

I hardly think that allowing a child to make your shoe selection for you is the end of the world.

August 17, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • UMMMMM

But there's something very wrong with giving your child everything she wants. Read up on Katie and Tom's parenting style. It is absolutely appalling what they allow their daughter to get away with.

August 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • umm...

That may be so, but I'm referring solely to this article, and it appears that people are freaking out about the issue of picking out shoes...and that, to me, is more bizarre than having your child pick out your shoes for you.

August 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. rene

suri parents need to tell her no once in awhile,,hello people, we don't live with then 24-7 we have no clue what they do,,besides, i think its cute she picked out her shoes,,,

August 17, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Ken

Not all Hollywood babies seem spoiled (Jennifer Garner's kids seem very well adjusted), but Suri Cruise... hoo boy. That is one overindulged little girl right there. Katie, I hope you're ready to have a raging you-know-what on your hands once she's a teenager.

August 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  16. beenz

Suri's 'peers' are the Jolie-Pitt clan, the Rossdale boys, the Affleck girls, the Gosselins, etc. I imagine a heckuva lot of tell-all books will be written in about 20 years.

August 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • maggie

lmao. you seriously think that suri cruise chills with the gosselin kids?

August 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • beenz

Not so much that she chills with the Gosselins.. just that they are similar in age – will be coming into adulthood at the same time, etc. I'd love to see what happens to all of these kids.

August 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. maggie

that child is going to be the most spoiled, self-absorbed monster in about 8-10 years. a kid has to hear "no" every once in a while, and it doesn't seem like suri ever socializes with kids her own age. it is wrong to keep a 4-year-old isolated and homeschooled like that – it's fine for older children, but toddlers and very young children need to learn to relate to their peers.

August 17, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  18. the truth

Seriously you let your 4 year old dress her self and you too great parenting. I wouldnt dare let my 2 year old pick out her or my clothes. Unless we we're just laying around the house for the day then sure lets play dress up, thats the only way. So good parenting to you just saying YES so you dont have to hear what happens if you say NO! But i love TOM!!!

August 17, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Caralyn

Nothing wrong with kids choosing their own outfits. It's how they learn autonomy. But there is something very wrong with allowing a child to dress you.

August 17, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. You Are Not Experts

You people have no room to judge someone you don't know.

August 17, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • It Speaks for Itself

Oh Shut up! This is nothing to do with judging. It does not take an expert to know that you don't let a 3 year old dictate to the parents what to do. The child knows nothing. Children are clueless and willful. This is pathetic. In fact, its usually the so-called 'experts' that come up with this crap and then wonder why when they grow up they want everything THEIR way and they are unhappy.

August 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Wendy

Not a good idea to let an over indulgent child run the show! She's a child and should be treated as one. This is crazy and very bad parenting!

August 17, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Bedoop

@Wendy- Maybe not everyone talks to their kids like their morons. Maybe some people have... gasp... smart children? I know, a new concept for you.

August 18, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  21. True homeschool family

Homeschooled??? REALLY??? All they do is open their checkbook and pay someone else. That is not homeschooling. That is paying a private teacher.

August 17, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • letsblogical

She's schooled at home+home schooled. (period) Don't be offended.

August 20, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Sweet48

If you had their money, would you want you kid to actually leave home to go to school? Think about it!!

August 20, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. nancy

weird. ...I don't do what my 3 year old neice says to do...b/c I'M the boss! duh

August 17, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Lacey

Yea, thats a great way to parent–Just give a child whatever they want and they will turn out GREAT! I swear, those 2 are psychopaths and shouldn't have procreated.

August 17, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Chabert

oh be quiet.

August 17, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Please Stop

Typical rich white parents with not a clue in the world. They are the WORST parents. They let the little rugrats get whatever they want and run the household. Then they wonder why little Morgan is not happy. Perhaps it has something to do with children NEEDED boundaries. They NEED to know that you love and care for them enough to tell them NO! No is not a bad word. I swear these rich white people need to be sterilized because all they create are stuck-up, self-centered little snotheads.

August 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • ILoveMoney

To "Please Stop" – I'm rich and white....and take offense to your ignorant statement! Think before you open your pie hole! Snaps!

August 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marie Offended!!!

Please Stop = What a damn ignorant statement. It's a shame your mama wasn't sterilized!

August 19, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Bananna

So sorry to hear about Suri & her fashion tips to her 31 year old mom......strange that she actually listens to her !!!

August 17, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Mac

When is Katie going to stop carrying Suri everyone? The kid is 4 years old, and Katie still carries her around like a baby.

August 18, 2010 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  25. N

I wonder what Lori Petty is doing right now.

August 17, 2010 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |