Who's seeing 'Scott Pilgrim' this weekend?
August 13th, 2010

Who's seeing 'Scott Pilgrim' this weekend?

There are some weekends when the box office feels like a moviegoer’s smorgasbord: You want action? There's “The Expendables.” You want romance with a little destination eye candy sprinkled on top? There’s “Eat, Pray, Love.”

And if you want quirky nerditude thrown in with your comedic love story, there’s “Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.”

This movie has been buzzed about for so long that it’s kind of surprising the film is just now opening in theaters, but lo and behold, it is – and the reviews more often than not want to love it, despite its flaws.

David Edelstein at NPR said that “Scott Pilgrim” “could have been among the coolest movies ever made,” if not for the “parade of super-villain exes,” which “is like a forced march,” he said in his review. “I felt I'd had my fill of the fights when there were still five exes to go.”

Entertainment Weekly, which gave the movie an “almost excellent” grade of B+, noted that despite director Edgar Wright’s fresh spin on bringing a graphic novel to the big screen, it still might remind you of similar adaptations, particularly “Ghost World.” Nevertheless, EW says, the movie maintains a “madly clever and playful let's-try-it-on prankishness all its own.”

For Slate reviewer Dana Stevens, “Scott Pilgrim” is kind of like “cinematic Pop Rocks, a neon-hued, defiantly non-nutritive confection that nonetheless makes you laugh at its sheer bold novelty." So while the fight scenes may get repetitive and you might feel an ADD diagnosis coming on after leaving the theater, Stevens assures moviegoers that this movie retains a particular kind of magic.

Will you be purchasing a ticket to see Cera battle it out this weekend? If so, let us know by uploading an iReport review, and check back Monday to see if we used your reviewing expertise in our roundup!

Filed under: movies

1. 338a

I dont disagree with this article..

December 16, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. health and fitness nutrition products

Probably this blogs best writing on the net!

December 1, 2011 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. dripable

You'r indeed correct on this blog post.

October 29, 2011 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  4. Gîtes dans le Var

Some educative blog post

October 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tamsu

bollywood movies online and free

October 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SaintPetersburg

saw it. Loved it. so unique, fresh, original, witty, sharp, clever, and smart. I love the whole feel of that world. Now I'm not sure if Inception is the movie of the year or this is. If Inception was an amazing entree of sizzling filet mignon, SCvsTheWorld was like the perfect dessert to top it off!

August 19, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Edge

Movie. Of. The. Year.

Or at least my year. I'm not going to cram this down the throats of people who don't get it. But I will openly welcome them to get it and celebrate the under-represented culture this film represents.

August 16, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  8. staysi

looks dumb. what i want to see is this guy play a different character. he's the same person in every movie he does and i'm over it. does he have range??!!! action sequences do look cool, but i'll watch the trailer and get my fix.

August 15, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Lord Aiducan

A movie about hipsters and a woman so used up if Scott Pilgrim tried to do her, he would fall in.

August 14, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  10. Daniel Troppy

This could be STYLISH and funny which is always good...

August 14, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. The Admiral

I AM a geek and thought it was absolute crap. At the end of the day, despite all the whiz-bang effects and editing, you still can't polish a turd!

August 14, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  12. Derek Jacobson

Surprisingly, I found myself laughing out loud when I watched the film. It has the potential to be a 'cult' film due to its offbeat humor and comic-book action being over the top. The video game references and splashy effects were hilarious throughout the entire movie. A love story with Oscar winning acting from our hero (yeah right!) Hey, it's Michael Cera; wussy bland acting. What do you expect? I would battle all the evil ex-boyfriends for Mary Elizabeth Winstead. She's hot! Overall, for me, it was enjoyable.

August 14, 2010 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
  13. Czarcastic Czynic

Some people will like it, some won't.
    This movie is aimed squarely at the Nintendo generation and younger, and at people who love their video games.

I loved it, myself. It's part coming of age story, part geek love story, and part romantic comedy with action overtones...

Then again – if you saw a preview and didn't like it – you aren't going to like the movie. This is one of those movies preview *is* solidly representational of the movie...

August 14, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jack Meoff

The trailer for it looks totally stupid, I have no desire to see it. The critics seem to love it. It will make millions without me.

August 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jason Hainline

My 3 friends and I just got home from seeing Scott Pilgrim, and we all loved it! Go see this film. It is an epic of epic epicness!!

August 13, 2010 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  16. JACK

EXPENDABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Allen

Already saw it. The reviewers are right, the figts somehow get old, but its still loads of fun. Just don't bring your kids to it! In my theater a mother brought her twelve year olds, that turned out all sorts of wrong.

August 13, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Agreen

Seen it twice. Love it. Want to own it. If you aren't a geek, you won't get it, so don't bother.

August 13, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Stephen

Definitely enjoyed this movie. First movie I have seen about video games that gets it right. Not liking this movie just means you don't like video games. But to us gamers this movie is plain awesome and crazy.

August 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |