The winner of 'SYTYCD' is...
August 13th, 2010

The winner of 'SYTYCD' is...

Thursday night's season finale of "So You Think You Can Dance" was one of the best finales we've seen in a while.

From spectacular performances by the dance crew Quest, seven-year-old tap dancer Luke Spring and the Manzari brothers to a terrific group routine from this season's dancers (including Alex), there wasn't a wrong step all night. (Okay, Kent and Anya had a bit of a flub during their cha-cha, but we'll forgive that.)

Quite a few of the encore performances were better the second time around, including Robert and Allison's contemporary routine, Comfort and AdeChike's hip-hop routine (complete with an all-too-real slap to the face) and Robert and Billy's Bollywood routine.

But the performance everyone will remember was "Get Out of Your Mind" with tWitch, which had none other than Ellen DeGeneres subbing for Alex. Tabitha and Napoleon modified the routine somewhat for her, but she did a great job paying tribute to one of the best dancers this show has ever seen. (Loved the fact that she also paid tribute to season four's Katee by hanging on to the door when she made her entrance.)

So we had Kent, Lauren and Robert in the final three, all of whom fought their way to the top and truly deserved to be there. It probably came as a surprise to no one, though, when Robert was eliminated first.

The real shocker was Lauren Froderman surging ahead to win the title of "America's Favorite Dancer." You could see the shock on her face, as well. The best dancer left standing won it all, and you can't ask for more than that. Congrats to Lo-Fro! (And my comment from yesterday still stands. Kent should have received some sort of prize for being the top guy in the competition.)

So, what was the highlight of the finale for you? Were you happy to see Lauren emerge victorious? Share your view on video, or the comments below, and we'll meet again come season eight!

« Previous entry
  1. moon627

I love that Lauren won but i think Robert shouldve been the runner up in 2nd place and Kent should have been 3rd – he is a good dancer but immature and is too much of a clown with all his silly faces.
    I didnt like this season's all-star format at all and i hope they go back to the old format with 20 contestants
    Plus they need to get rid of Debbie-Downer-Mia and bring back the Hot Tamale Train Conductor Mary Murphy

August 13, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. K DancerFan

Bring Mary Murphy back! Was so glad to see her last night! She brings too much to the show to leave her out!
    I love her enthusiasm! She isn't near as annoying as the "screamers" in the audience during the performances.
    Love you Mary Murphy! I think you got a "raw deal."

August 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BARBARA

I am glad that Lauren won, but I felt sorry for Kent – everyone thought he had it in the bag. I don't know if anyone noticed but what I think hurt Kent was his ad lib comments from the previous week – I don't remember his exact words about being able to work with really good people now. I think that really must have went over big with his home town people and his dance teachers who trained him to actually get onto SYTYCD, in the first place. I truly believe he didn't mean the way it sounded, but I do think he suffered some backlash.

Also, remember the Gatorade campaign. A pretty female face will sell more drinks that one guy who would blended into the crowd of male athletes.

The way Kent was wisked off at the end – maybe he was promised something that didn't really pan out, or maybe he was really upset.

This is the firs time ever I wished there could have been two winners on SYTYCD

I maybe in the minority, but I didn't like Ellen' performance of the out of this world Twitch/Alex routine. Frankly, it just cheapened what was one of the most entertaining moments I have ever witnessed in my life. Alex suffered an career threatening injury giving us all joy. He should have been treated with more respect.
    I am hoping that they are not even thinking about Ellen for a judge for next season.

It is sad to see the show end for the year (missed Billy & Lauren's boogy shoes routine). Just can't wait for next season. The show is just plain great!

August 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carolyn

I am happy Lauren won, but this year was a much more difficult choice. It was an awesome season except for ONE thing: SCREAMING during dance numbers. Honestly, it is so disrespectful and annoying that it should not be allowed. Anyone who scrreams out should be taken out. Even a guest ballet number had screaming throughout...unbelieveable.
    I don't think I will watch another season because of this alone...the screaming is rude and distracting to the max.

August 13, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. SARAH

Did anyone happen to notice when Lauren won, and all of the other dancers came on stage to celibrate with her, Kent was not there? I didnt see him on stage at all after they gave him his "runner up" flowers. Maybe to upset that he lost? Strange...

August 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Just sayin

So happy Lauren won! It was a great show last night. She was the best girl dance by far this year and all around awesome. Wish we could have seen her and Alex Wong dance together. Hope to see him next year. He was my favorite dancer ever on the show.

August 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jake

I'm glad Lauren won.. I also like the new format using the all-stars.. Good call SYTYCD!

August 13, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. fader

Online TV

August 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Susan

I wish they would announce the winner with at least a few minutes left in the show so that we could celebrate with the winner. Does anyone else think its anti-climatic to end the show so quickly after announcing the winner? As far as who won, I agree that they were all great and would not have been unhappy with any of the 3.

August 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mitts1970

I agree – it would be great to see the winners celebrate more with their fellow contestants and to hear final thoughts from the judges... I've thought this for a long time! Thrilled for Lauren – she is fantastic!

August 13, 2010 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sherry

Great show and finish!!! Good review as well.

August 13, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dave, Ottawa

There was no encore performance from Courtney! What was up with that!

August 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mona

Personally, I think all three should have one equally. Not to take away from Lauren, she was so awesome, but as
    stated, they all should have won. Don't know if anyone noticed, but when they announced her name, someone from
    the exit came with flowers for Kent & whisked him off to the exit not to be seen again....wonder what was up with
    that? I agree, Mia should not be judge again next year, Mary Murphy should return....Mia was sort of a downer, Mary
    is always up even when she gives a bad review!

August 13, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Harley

I noticed the same thing! And then when everyone came back on stage with Lauren to celebrate (even Robert) Kent was no where to be found. I don't see him being the sore loser type, so I'm assuming they took him offstage, but I don't understand why.

August 13, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kristina

I noticed that too! I was wondering what happened to him. He didn't come out an celebrate like Robert was able to. I was wondering what the issue was.

August 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen

He actually was on stage. You can see him off to the left where Robert goes to hug him and swing him around like a rage doll lol. He is also greeted by Melinda?? and Alex.

August 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. erik

While both Lauren and Kent were wonderful dancers, Kent does not yet have the upper body strength to pull off many of the dance styles that involve lifting and catching his partner. He will grow into it. Lauren had strength, grace and the ability to dance every style given to her. She deserved the win. congratulations to her!

August 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. Natalie07

Im Glad She Won, She Deserve It..... But Kent Was Really Good Too.... It Was A Very Close Call

August 13, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

I know how many people wanted Kent to win, but come on. We all know that Kent was not the best dancer and that many people just voted for him because he was from a little town called Wapokoneta. He is good dance, but wasn't the best. I'm glad Lauren won and not Kent, but Robert was my first choice.

August 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ForgetMeNot

Yay, 2!! I voted for Lauren – she really did a super job these last couple of shows and stepped up her game big time! I thought Kent was getting a bit "snarky" lately 'cause he knew he had a lot of fans in the young girl department and thought he had it in the bag. I was especially turned off by his comment about the "face" just being "him" – maybe so, but if it takes away from the performance, you should make a concerted effort to NOT do it. I think he was starting to get the point toward the end, but Lauren surged ahead without any bad habits to put off the judges. Mia might also be a bit "snarky" in her commentary, but truth be said, it is only her OPINION (as she's stated MANY times), but usually dead on. She was right in her comments about Lauren being the "perfect" female dancer – not too femmy, not too masculine, but just right and a pure athlete. Mia may have come off a bit harsh in her criticism of the dancers, but in the long run her instincts are usually correct – Adechike is a good example; while he was a great dancer, he just never could quite get past the tightness of his upper body and his performances were usually a bit stiff, even if they were technically perfect. It was the same comment that the judges had early on with Alex – he was technically a genius, but he didn't come across as relaxed and enjoying the performances. He picked up on that very quickly and rapidly improved, whereas Adechike didn't let go of his personal style so he didn't grow as much. That's what the judges were looking for – growth and maturity. And I think America got it right in the end.

August 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  16. Harley

I would have been thrilled if either Kent or Lauren won, I love them both!

As far as re-performing various dances from the season, I was very disappointed they did not have Lauren and Kent re-do their Travis Wall contemporary. For me, that was one of the best dances by far this season.

August 13, 2010 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  17. Wendy

Loved this season of Dance, loved it, loved it! Any one of the three was worthy of winning! Lauren was just truly amazing and I enjoyed her dancing. I'm happy for her but happy for all the outstanding performances from everyone. Wow! I hope we see the others with the new season! Thank you for a GREAT season! There's no way to say which dances were better or who was better, they were all so amazing!

August 13, 2010 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  18. Armand

Congrats Lauren! She really grew as a dancer and was a joy to watch perform.

August 13, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  19. shirley

I hope next season Mia is not one of the judges, because if i see her face i will not watch the show and i thank i am not
    the only one thank that way,so thank before you let her judge.

August 13, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |