Going for the prize on 'SYTYCD'
August 12th, 2010

Going for the prize on 'SYTYCD'

On Wednesday night's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance," we saw a final three who really gave it everything they could in hopes of becoming America's favorite dancer, and though two of them grew as performers right before our eyes, one emerged as the most deserving of the title.

Let's size them up one by one, shall we?

First up, Kent: He's come a long way from Wapakoneta, and his contemporary routine with Allison was one of the highlights of the night. The last time we saw him dance this well was probably his routine with Lauren (the one that was sealed with a kiss), so he's certainly in great position going into the finale.

As the judges acknowledged, he had a sort of breakthrough, truly getting swallowed up into his character in this routine. He also did a splendid job in his Bollywood routine, probably the best of those routines this season. However, I wasn't too much of a fan of his Malevos "fight" with Robert, and his Mandy Moore jazz routine with Lauren, as much fun as it was, didn't really seem to fit with the rest of the finale. Plus, his solo was not the best we've seen from him. Despite all that, he's still got a great shot at winning. Odds of winning – 2:1

Moving on to Lauren: As the judges said last night, time and time again, she has been perfection. She's been the most consistent performer all season, and she truly deserves it.

Lauren had the best night overall, with only that Mandy Moore routine being sub-par. She nailed her "debate" with tWitch, hitting it as hard as any hip-hop dancer we've seen. She also pulled off all of the lifts and tricks in her scorching cha-cha with Pasha as well as any ballroom dancer we've seen, save Anya or Chelsie.

Mia Michaels paid her the ultimate compliment, saying that she would love to be able to dance like her. And, of course, her contemporary routine with Robert was beautifully performed. Top it off with an extraordinary solo, and the only reason she might not walk away with it all is that she's up against Kent. Odds of winning – 3:1

And lastly, Robert: The judges made it clear that he wins the "Most Improved" award for the season, and that's certainly true. As I mentioned before, I really liked his Dee Caspary contemporary routine with Lauren involving pillows, and most impressive of all, he "played it cool" as well as any cast member of "West Side Story" in one of the best Broadway routines all season with Kathryn.

His solo was one of the best I've seen from him, as well. But, there were certainly a few signs of weakness. His Tyce Diorio jazz routine with Mark had some great moments, yet kind of petered out for me at the end. And like I said, the Malevos dance just didn't work for me, as well danced as it was. (As daring as it was to finish the season on a brand new style, I think Lauren's cha-cha would have been a better choice, but then the producers like to put the favorite to win at the end.) Robert has certainly earned his spot in the top three, something that seemed extremely unlikely when he was one of the most unknown performers in the top 11, and he should be very proud that he got that far. Odds of winning – 5:1

So, do you agree with my picks? Who had your vote last night? And shouldn't Lauren at least get a consolation prize for being the top female this year (hey, they did it for Katee)? Share your views on video, or in the comments below.

1. Chad Moskowitz/Galdwyne Pa.

Stay Golden gang!

September 28, 2010 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. Thomas R. Clauss (In Diapers at 90)

Best Wishes to all!

September 19, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Fart B. Jones

good Luck to all!

September 19, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Craig Furcellootullotttieeoit

Good Luck to all the contestants.

September 19, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ithan Vivian Mezvinsky

We are pulling for them as well.

September 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank Cady.

Are there any MC parts for me?

September 19, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Alden Contino

We here at Appraisal Services of Texas are pulling and rooting them to win.

September 19, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael Caliazzo (Queenie)

I am rooting for them too.

September 19, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Donald Pulver Developer/Oliver Tyrone President

I am rooting for them as well. Rock ON!

September 19, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. craig

Kent and Allison, I think, are a great mix in chemistry. I am really rooting for them and i hope they take the gold.

August 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Susan

I almost didn't vote last night because they were all so great I couldn't pick. In the end I voted for Kent because he has been my favorite for most of the season. But for once I will be happy for whoever wins.

August 12, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Phil

Robert and Lauren have more of a mature edge against Kent. I feel all 3 did superbly well this whole season. It all comes down to this, if all the little girls stayed up all night and voted for Kent, or if all the moms stayed up and voted all night for Robert or if all the men stayed up all night and voted for Lauren. I am not a mom, but I am a person who has watched this entire season. I really hope Robert wins, but I wouldn't be upset if Lauren took the crown!

August 12, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

I'm with you Phil. I'd love Robert to win it all but i would be happy with Lauren too – they are both so excellent. Kent is an excellent dancer as well but he doesnt have the maturity and he pulls too many silly faces it makes me cringe.

August 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leslie

I've enjoyed every season and there is always a standout or two...but this year?! The three finalists are without a doubt standouts. I hope they all have immediate offers as a result of this season other than just doing the tour. Pick a winner? They are all three winners!

August 12, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  14. Yavanna

Let's not forget that the top six plus the all stars will be going on tour. They will receive a salary for that I'm sure. The top person just gets the $250k on top of that.

August 12, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  15. Caitlin

I would be happy if any one of them won. All three have had great dances this season and all three have been involved with some of the best dances of the season. They are such a talented group and have worked so hard. It's too bad only one can win. I read in another article a couple of years ago that the contestants on this show work the hardest for the least amount of reward. I'd have to agree. With all the injuries and hours that are put into the dances, $250,000 doesn't seem like enough. Other show winners get contracts and better prizes for doing nothing. At least the winner gets to represent dance for gatorade, that is something new this year.

August 12, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. tom

Sorry but disagree with above...I think Robert should take the crown. He was just superb the entire season. Kent a little too ah shucks although adorable. Lauren gorgeous and also worthy. I'm gonna be happy with any of them for the win but pulling for Robert to take it home.

August 12, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • N

I don't know what it is about Robert, but I've never connected with him. He's a great dancer, for sure, but there's just something missing for me. That said, they're all deserving of being in the finale. I won't be upset when the final dancer is chosen as the winner.

August 12, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. N

I just love Kent. Aside from his adorable personality, he's a wonderful dancer and a joy to watch. The other dancers are fantastic as well, but I sincerely hope he wins.

August 12, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |