Nick Cannon: Mariah would love to judge 'Idol'
August 11th, 2010

Nick Cannon: Mariah would love to judge 'Idol'

Add one more name to the list of celebs who want to take a seat at the “American Idol” judging table: Mariah Carey.

Carey’s husband, Nick Cannon, said during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter that his wife has dropped that idea into their conversation before.

“She talks about it,” Cannon said. “She says, ‘I would love to do that.’”

Cannon thinks his wife is definitely qualified for the gig, though the notoriously busy singer and actress might find it difficult to work it into her calendar.

“She is one of the greatest singers of our time; she would be great,” he said. “I don't know if she has enough time, though, but if they could work with her schedule, I know she would love to do 'Idol.' Let's start the campaign!”

1. stacy

mariah rocks!!!!!

September 15, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  2. felicia johnson mpls

mariah would make a great host judge she has what it takes and she cute.....smart and real.

August 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kitty

I thought the world was over Mariah already...really???

August 12, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lizzitte

Mariah has had her time for publicity,she just aint ready for Americian Idol what can she say to a contestant about singing when she is a screamer? She aint all that good a singer.She woul not bring nothing good to the show,it would probably loose a lot of the viewers and fans.Mariah dont even give it a second taught cause you aint ready.

August 12, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. marsha

mariah is not ready for that seat at the judges tabel she is just not the person for that job ,yes she can sing and all but a judge for Amerian Idol no way.

August 12, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jelly Bean

the only way i would even watch the show is if they had weird al!! that would probably keep me watching!! lol

August 12, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  7. MarissaAnne

JEWEL??? Speaking of bad singers.....I can't bear to listen to that song she has, the "you were meant for me and I was meant for you"-she sounds absolutely horrible, the worst I've ever heard, and plus, if she's going to lie about where she's from, how can she be trusted to tell the truth in general? GO MARIAH!

August 12, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. MonroeMike

Mariah's a washed up ex-celeb / sometime lunatic just like Paula Abdul.....She'd be perfect for Idol.

August 12, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  9. CBrown

Mariah is one of the greatest singers, ever. She would be a great judge...I haven't watch AI in a long time, but if mariah was a judge I would watch it every week for sure...I think she could bring something good to the table....goooooo mariah!!!

August 12, 2010 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. GoldenDawg

Mariah would bring the occasionally overmedicated/train-wreck entertainment element to the program which was so noticeably absent when Paula left.

August 12, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wendy

I think Rosie O'Donnelll would make a great judge. She has wonderful musicality, she's funny, sarcastic and could quite possibly be the next Simon with a twist. She is getting her own show again with Oprah but perhaps could work this into her schedule. Ellen had two shows. I think Ellen quit because she didn't want to share the stage with that demanding, demanding, demanding diva JLo. Who could blame her? Anyway, GO ROSIE!

August 12, 2010 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  12. RF

I still think Harry Connick Jr. would be great! He has talent, knows music, knows what its like to tour, gave great advise the season he was on, and he was funny! Let's start that ball rolling people! Vote for Connick!

August 12, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  13. danielle

No way- She would crave all the attention, and take it away from the contestants. What about Jewel? She's a song writer, singer, without the flash.

August 12, 2010 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  14. The_Mick

I go through "master-class play-ins" at a Conservatory where my music performances are critically judged 4x each year. I liked the fact that, as dizzy as she appeared, Paula Abdul KNEW music and performance: musicianship. DeGeneres was obviously out of her element. Mariah has a great voice and can carry tune, but I don't think she's particularly skilled in performance, appearing to me to be coached to the extreme. I'd rather see someone else – even a former contestant with real skills and background like Kat McPhee or Chris Daughtry.

August 12, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. Liz

Mariah would be the death of the show. She's not a singer, but screecher, like bad brakes on a truck.

August 12, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  16. Jaxon

She would be alright if she could give honest criticism/advice like Harry Connick Jr. and Usher gave this past season. Just saying things like: "you looked wonderful tonight" or "it just didn't work for me" aren't going to cut it if the show is to be anywhere near successful. Any celebrity with experience could make or break the show depending on if/how they choose to convey their knowledge of the music industry. Is it better to have a great musical artist give little to no advice or a less successful artist give accurate advice?

August 12, 2010 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  17. Angel

haters! straight up haters on this post! we watched paula abdul host the show for several years and she started out as a dancer/choreographer before venturing into singing. she came out with 2-3 albums which made her a viable judge? mariah carey has and always be an accomplished singer and that's what american idol needs – a judge with experience singing in different ranges and octaves – or as one ignorant poster said, screaming. i think it would be a step in the right direction.

August 12, 2010 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
    • ballz

I dont like to think of it as 'haters' – just folks who can tell the difference between some high-pitched nonsense and something thats good. I think she draws too much attention to her rack to keep folks from noticing the actual quality of her product.

August 12, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. Lloyd

I think Mariah Carey would be a great judge for the show. She's a success in the business and seems to be fair-minded. Hope she accepts, if offered, and does well.

August 12, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. beasterdamas

Actually Mariah Carey is an excellent candidate...Not only can she hit the 5th octave but she is the real deal through and through...She can bring a lot of experiences to the table as a mentor/judge...She has the toughness, she has been in abusive relationships and has run the gamut with record companies and producers and such...She can provide a lot of direction both from a production standpoint and in dealing with what's left of the major labels, who have traditionally ripped off musicians to fill their own pockets...All things considered I think this opportunity for her to Judge on American Idol will revive her career once again and provide the entire production a better spin. There is no question she is better qualified and more suited for this than any of the others that have been mentioned...

August 11, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  20. JC

Nick can't even speak english...and he is the host of a show. If America does have talent then they should have picked a host with .......talent! Maria a judge? Is she that desperate for attention...the show is toast...that's why Simon said.......bye bye....

August 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Maddie

She would be to much of a Diva. More trouble than what she's worth!

August 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Daniel Troppy

My vote is to just close the door on this show, it's so tired.

August 11, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ryan

Oh, HELL NO!!!

August 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  24. james

Mariah that show is beneath you....dont get near it.

August 11, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Michael

kittyblingbling: I'm not the biggest Mariah fan, but the nice thing about being so successful, financially and professionally, is that you can take time off and have absolutely "nothing going" on in your life, but life. Most of us only dream!

August 11, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. J

A judge with a lisp?

August 11, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  27. moon627

I think she would be perfect ! Just add Randy and a sarcastic Brit and you have your judges panel :)

August 11, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  28. OhioMan

Just got rid of one Diva (JLo)..now you want to suggest another! I THINK NOT!!!

August 11, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. TJ

Mariah, if Idol didn't contact you by now, they're not going to unless you're the last resort. I can't believe that they asked Jennifer Lopez before asking you. If they call, tell them to go to HELL!!! You are by far a great singer.

August 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Khristina

Um...Landru- You say that like you would ever be OFFERED a chance to "hit" that. Pffffft... Riiiiiiiight.

August 11, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Landru

I wouldn't hit that.

August 11, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  32. tcaros

Mariah Carey is a dirty girl- as far as hygiene. Stinky and sweaty is no way to bring back idols fan base.

August 11, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  33. kittyblingbling

No thanks, she's a bore...and she dresses like bronxy trash! She just wants the attention because lately she has nothing going for her.

August 11, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • BuzzMann

By lookin at the front of that blue dress I'dd say she has two big things goin for her.

August 11, 2010 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  34. jae

I will not watch because she does not want to lose fans, she will not give an honest judging. The show will become more of a fake than it already is. but who cares, the show is done with anyway and I will not be watching no matter who judges. the show is more concern about ratings than a good show, which baffles me because when they did not care about ratings, the ratings were good.

August 11, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Jeff

Mimi dresses like Paula Abdul used to. She'd fit in nicely.

August 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Amanda

I thought she was pregnant?? But she never came out to confirm, maybe she lost the baby?

August 11, 2010 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mary

I agree with Nick. If you are going to judge contestants on their singing abilities, then you should be able to sing yourself and Mariah Carey would definitely be great at being a judge. I really hope that could be worked out. It would help the rating on AI.

August 11, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I didn't know screaming was singing...

August 11, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • AFan

I think Mariah would be just what AI needs to complete year ten. But we do need a sarcastic Brit as the third judge just to keep it interesting.

August 11, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rad3d

Yeah – that's what made Simon a good judge – his singing ability. Not needed at all, and I'd prefer someone who can find distinct personality in someone's voice rather than critique a technical ability to sing. Much rather have a producer or well-established industry executive than an artist. They just need honesty and a bit of flair.

August 12, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  38. Hadley

Just what Idol needs; her flopping boobsweat tripping Ryan on the stage.

August 11, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |