Reese Witherspoon as Peggy Lee?
August 10th, 2010

Reese Witherspoon as Peggy Lee?

It looks like Reese Witherspoon will need to warm up her pipes once again.

The actress, who won an Oscar in 2005 for her portrayal of June Carter in “Walk the Line," is in talks to play the legendary singer and performer Peggy Lee, according to Variety.

Lee rose to fame in the 1940’s, and went on to record a number of hit albums and songs, including “Is That All There Is?”

Witherspoon is already on board as producer of the project, along with Marc Platt, whom the 34-year-old actress worked with on the “Legally Blonde” franchise. Witherspoon secured the rights to Lee’s story from her estate after meeting with Lee’s granddaughter.

Nora Ephron, who is reportedly a fan of Lee's, will write the script and direct.

Filed under: Casting Chronicles • Celebrities • movies

1. fgty

Latest movies online and free

October 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. td

After she does Peggy Lee, she should do Patsy Cline.

August 10, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Babs McGee

My family thought she was awful in "Walk the Line". Actually, we thought the whole movie was awful. We never finished it.

August 10, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bailoutsos

It will be tough for her. I just listened to a cassette of Peggy's.

August 10, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gore's therapist

Who as who?

August 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Landru

I'd hit that

August 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Terri

I can't believe Reese won an Oscar for her portrayal of June Carter Cash in Walk the Line. I watched the movie, and I felt like hurling at her annoying overcutesiness. June Carter Cash was not at all sickening like that. God, please don't blow her head up by allowing her to portray any other historical musical figures. What is wrong with people when they can't sense fake sincerity.

August 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dwayne

Well if Palin can do it – any idiot can do it and what better idiot that Levi?

August 10, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Dwayne... are you commenting on the wrong article? ...what a doofus. XD i kid i kid... but not really.

August 10, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bailoutsos

:::: Brooke - Dwayne... are you commenting on the wrong article? @@@ This is the "Entertainment" section and the fact that it was the wrong blog was entertaining.

August 10, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

@bailoutsos- yes thank you for missing my sarcasm and explaining my point I was making (apparently too subtly for those who don't know how to read between the lines) back at me. If it weren't entertaining I'd of just called him a moron and moved on.

August 11, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  9. chih music

Just thinkin' 'bout it gives me fever!

August 10, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dave in Palm Springs

I'm just thrilled at the news that not only are they making a move about Peggy Lee who I loved, but Nora Ephron is writing the script and directing. Nora's last effort, Julia & Julie, was fantastic. This will be as well. And Reese will do very well in the role. She is becoming the younger Meryl Streep in the diversity and depth of the roles she takes on. I love her movies, even the "Legally Blond" franchise.

August 10, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  11. jennrae

Nora Ephron? Ugh.

August 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Swerds

Peggy Lee had such an interesting life, this project is long over due. At least in my opinion. I just hope that it doesn't end up over-romanticized, by glossing over her hard-scrabble youth in North Dakota or in glossing up her rise to fame.

August 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chopsie

My guess is that the original Peggy Lee recordings will be used for Reese to lip-synch to. There is enough available film and audio for Reese to study to do a good portrayal of Miss Lee.

August 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Pez

Sounds good. She can do it.

August 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  15. kathy

The person to play Janis Joplin would be Crystal that was on American Idol this past season. She would be terrific.

August 10, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellen Degenerate

People still watch this show??

August 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

She would be perfect as Janis!! She should have been the AI winner........

August 10, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackson

Actually, the movie has been kicked around for way too many years. Back in the early 90's, when they first tried to get this movie made, Melissa Etheridge had all the buzz about being cast as Janis. THAT would have been the best possible casting. They took too long, and she is no longer the right age.

I would rather see the role go to Joss Stone than Crystal Bowersox. Joss could do an amazing job with it.

August 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Trumod

Miss Jut Jaw play MISS Peggy Lee? Yeah, right. That's like the rumor that Renee "The Squint" Zellwegger was going to play Janis Joplin: Not no way, not no how.

August 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Randall

She was fantastic as June Carter Cash but I'm having to really stretch my mind (and ears) to hear her singing as Peggy Lee. Also, Peggy was from the time where women had a little curve so Reese, ya better lay off the treadmill and soften those boney jaws a bit.

August 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. rickster

she isn't big enough. will she be gaining weigh for the role?

August 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Berd

My Uncle Edward Kelly was Peggy Lee's manager back in the day. It will be interesting to see how or even IF he is mentioned.

August 10, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • OKx3

Which actor would you like to see play him?

August 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • rt

try to send her an email and check with your family to see if they have any background materials, memories stashed away!

August 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

My Uncle Erasmus B. Dragin was Peggy Lee's boy toy during the 1960s. Maybe Justin Bieber could play him.

August 10, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |