Britney Spears is headed to 'Glee'
August 10th, 2010

Britney Spears is headed to 'Glee'

Oh, the joys "Glee's" second season will bring.

In addition to Carol Burnett being cast as Sue Sylvester's mom, the possibility of Susan Boyle playing a lunch lady and a Britney Spears-themed episode, “Glee” creator Ryan Murphy has confirmed that Spears herself will also make an appearance on the show.

“Britney, I think 100 percent, is going to be on the episode, which is exciting,” Murphy said on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show. “She’ll come and join us and do a couple of scenes.”

Although Murphy isn’t quite sure what role Brit Brit would play yet, he does know that the show’s plot will not require Matthew Morrison to shave his head. In fact, they’re handling the episode with “kid gloves.” So while you may be expecting tons of sarcasm, Murphy is going more for a celebration of the "Oops...I Did it Again" singer.

“It’s about her music, it's not about her personal life,” Murphy said. “I think Britney Spears is pop culture. I think she’s been through a lot, and I want to do something that says thank you.”

Here's a semi-spoiler: The episode will also feature John Stamos as a dentist who has to treat four of the kids who have poor dental hygiene, and the Britney moments will happen when they're under anesthesia. "I'm excited, because I really admire what she's done with her life and how she's turned things around," Murphy said.

As for other themes for future episodes, Murphy has a dream shortlist that includes Prince, the Beatles and Michael Jackson. Although he doesn't currently have any plans to do a Jackson episode, because of how difficult it is to clear the rights to Jackson's music, he told Seacrest, he is hoping to do one of those three in the future.

Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • television

1. Linda

I love Glee and I love the fact that they are having all the stars on. Can you say Neil Patrick Harris:) Oh and I can't wait for Carrol Bernet so excited! All you haters just go on hatin!

August 11, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. DarkRomanek

Im a big Britney fan so IM waiting for this so baddly!
    OMG Britney on my favorite show is a great thing ever!

August 11, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. texas mom

I just started to watch Glee when they started rerunning the 1st season. I am liking it but I am not sure about how I feel about the guest starts yet!

August 11, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. BritneySpears4ever

I think it's awesome to have a Britney Spear's inspired episode of Glee! Britney has been through a lot and in my opinion I definitely feel as though she has turned her life around. She's hardly ever in the tabloids anymore.... I can't wait to see this episode.

August 11, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  5. AgentM

Wait . . . I thought this show was about singing? Why would this has been dancer be on it?

August 11, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. Oop's I Did it Again

Britney Spears is headed to 'Glee'.

She needs to head back to the "Hills" where she came from. The no talent Bimbo..

August 11, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • N

Do you mean MTV's "The Hills?" If so, that makes zero sense. She's from Louisiana.

August 11, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Maggie May

N, you are a F&%#ing retard. You are dummer than a box of hair. What grade did you finish in school? the 3rd grade..
      Moron, Loser.

August 11, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
    • N

Wow, that was a harsh reaction to a legitimate question.
      But I refuse to be bothered by a person who can't spell "dumber" correctly. YAY, CORRECTING SOMEONE'S SPELLING ON THE INTERNET, I WIN.

August 11, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. Daniel Troppy

I didn't know she could act more or less sing....

August 11, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. mushymushroom

Imagine the past decade without Britney Spears...yeah I know, she has been crazy but no one can ever deny the kind of impact not only in the music industry but in pop culture of the whole world. She deserve all the appreciation, and this might even make her realize her importance as a music icon and not mess up again.

August 11, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Me Me Me

I will exercise my right not to watch the episode with crazy Britney Spears.

August 11, 2010 at 12:42 am | Report abuse |
    • john

That is rude and disrespectful to all those with mental health issues..and besides she has been stable for the past 2 years..did you not notice her comeback? Crazy and bald no more.

August 11, 2010 at 6:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. Celebritykay

So excited for Brit! This is going to be an awesome episode for Glee! #1 Fan.

August 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rafael

To have Miss Spears in the show, i think is a terrific idea! I LOVE IT!

August 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Princefam

It'll have to be The Beatles then, because Prince won't do it.

August 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon

Doesn't Michael Jackson's estate own the majority of The Beatles music? If the producers think that Jackson's music would be hard to obtain, I'd say The Beatles would be just as hard.

August 10, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Belle1

Well, I think if he can put Britney in a dream sequence... then he can definately put Damian McGInty in a dream sequence. He is incredible dreamy and SMOOOOOOOTH and IF mr. Murphy were smart he would check out his "Mack the Knife "video @ Damian Mcinty/"ack the Knife"!!! PLEASE it is time to wake up and get this kid on this show!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 10, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. MaryAnn

Yay! I love guest stars! It's like a variety show from the '70s! Who needs character development and interesting stories when you've got guest stars!

August 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Be Quiet

Sue Lynch? Come on now...Sue Sylvester is played by Jane Lynch.

August 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oh Please

It's just a frakkin' typo. Relax.

August 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • paula

On the contrary, I think it's proof positive that just thinking about Brittany Spears makes you stupid. I hate the guest stars anyway, but why oh why, pick HER when there are lots of sane, talented and engaging female performers out there....Brit Brit needs to stop with the weaves so she brain can breath, find a job using whatever talent she possesses (ie, not singing) and keep her clothes on. Maybe she could try being a mother???

August 10, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |