Seth MacFarlane gets a record deal
August 6th, 2010

Seth MacFarlane gets a record deal

Seth MacFarlane may be funny, but is he a singer?

The creator of “Family Guy” will soon answer that question thanks to a new record deal. According to The Hollywood Reporter, MacFarlane has signed with Universal Republic Records to release a debut album of 1940s and '50s show tunes.

"It's rare in this day and age to have the opportunity to create an album that celebrates the classic, sophisticated sound of rich, lush swing orchestrations," MacFarlane said. "It will be an absolute joy to sing this music, and I look forward to working with the entire team at Universal Republic on what we intend to make an exceptional project."

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. jen

Come on u guys! It's not about money. He's soooo talented!!his voice is increadable!! Same tembre as sinatra. It's unusual nowadays.I enjoy his singing on the show and I'm thrilled that he's having an actual music album coming out. Have heared his 'as time goes by' oe 'singing in the rain'? I like rock-pop singers, but seth...he's something else. In a good way. Can't wait to hear his album!

March 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. name

i cant wait for this cd to come out! yes i am a die hard fan of Family Guy, but even if i wasnt, even if i didnt find it funny i can safely say i would still respect seth macfarlane for his great voice. (i know this for a fact because i just basically described my dad). if family guy was a flop (which it unfortunately was at first but thankfully someone found their sense of humor) i would hope seth would go into music. i love his love of the classics and his natural talent of a perfect voice for jazz. family guy is my favorite show not only because my stomach hurts from laughing at almost every episode, but also because its the only place in modern pop culture i can find any referance to the other love of my life: broadway (and of course rat pack era music). seth seamlessly weaves in spoofs of songs from classic broadway shows like the music man, guys and dolls, etc into family guy. and, has anyone else ever had frank sinatra jr. guest star on their show? not only that, but have a trio of frank sinatra jr, and the other two voices both done by the same amazing person. yes some songs are technically called spoofs, but that doesnt mean theyre done poorly. it only means its not the.same. exact. song. if anyone today decided to come out with a jazz standard cd, im sure as hell glad its seth macfarlane. and im not gonna lie, one of my lifes dreams is to be part of a choir singing "family guy song" or being directed by seth macfarlane. juge. i dont care. haha. its about damn time seths talent is realized.

December 4, 2010 at 5:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. chaz

welp, that seals the deal...he is gay

August 9, 2010 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dignan

There's nothing Family Guy fans love more than showtunes from the 40's and 50's!

Oh, wait...

August 9, 2010 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sue

Great duet with Curtis Stiger

August 9, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sue

He has a great voice especially for the old standards. i saw him on tv here in the UK last Christmas. He was at the Royal Albert Hall in London with 4 other singers, they did a medley of the MGM classics. I was surprised how good a singer he is.

August 9, 2010 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Gail Snail

Seth is a wonderful singer. I appreciate the link to youtube. I saw Seth last year in a Family Guy special which showed off his singing abilities. I would gladly purchase his c.d.

August 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jeff

So, to answer the ending question: yes, apparently.

August 9, 2010 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jo

I think he's better than sinatra. I saw him do a few tunes, and he's great. I love that genre anyway.

August 9, 2010 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  9. SusieQ

I've seen him perform at some jazz clubs here in LA...he's actually really good.

August 9, 2010 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. mejazzbo

Good for him. He couldn't be any worse than many singers out there getting paid. Go for it!

August 8, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jerry

Seth has a great voice! Check him out on youtube just search "Seth Macfarlane sings". He is awesome.

August 8, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. SethFan

Just from listening to his voice on Family Guy, I actually think he would do rather well with a singing career, and the 40's/50's style of music fits his vocal tone. Good luck Seth!

August 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Red Pison

This man is gay. There is no question about it.

August 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dan

You can't top "Prom Night Dumpster-Baby!"......

August 8, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Greg

Seth is almost Sinatra's equal (literally)... that's how good he is.

August 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  16. MAxoiusdf

Peter Brady can sing?

August 8, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. joychan

Seth definitely has the ability to do a singing career. He trained with the same vocal instructor as Frank Sinatra Jr. and other classic singers. The problem is most people have only heard him as his tv characters but his regular singing voice is quite nice.

August 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. TI

i always thought he would end up doing this, i'll def have a listen he's got a surprisingly nice voice

August 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lajazzgirl

I've seen Seth sing with the Ron Jones Band at a few LA Jazz clubs. He's actually a pretty good singer/entertainer.

August 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. michael

Why do I have visions of him doing a duet with Frank Sinatra jr?

August 8, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jehane

He has done two of them on Family Guy, and he has said what a thrill that was for him. Seth not only sings this music well, but has a true appreciation for orchestration. This album might not be everyone's cup of tea, but what is? I will have it in my hands the day it is released.

August 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I have to admit that his version of the Bryan Adams song (in Stewies voice) was pretty amazing.....

August 8, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  21. There's a story...

I still think that this guy looks like a grown-up version of Peter Brady.

August 8, 2010 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  22. Stewart

Whatever floats the dudes boat! I like anything Seth does. Never has any one human being done so much to make me giggity. Every time I see the guys picture I go weak. He is bonafide perfection! What a smile...what an everything! What was that thing prince Charles said about Camilla... something about being a tampon inside her or something to that effect. If Seth were a woman and I were a man....wait a minute... I am..er at least I was.... oh never mind.

August 8, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  23. Allen Davis

Seth MacFarlane does the voice of Brian on "Family Guy" in his natural voice; in several episodes, he (Brian) sings duets with Frank Sinatra Jr. I don't feel there is any question that the man is talented in the singing department....it should be a real treat to hear his take on standards!

August 8, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Maestro

If you can be mature enough to look past the language and subject matter of what he sings about on Family Guy, he actually has a really nice voice.... and it compliments that era of music. I'd buy it

August 7, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Manos

Wow, this will be great..I cant wait....he is soooooo talented and yes, of course he can sing, duh! Good luck Seth but dont forget family guy....ok? We want new episodes !!!!!

August 7, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Silver

Wow, he sings wonderfully. Look him up on Youtube. He's sung with the London Pops and so on. I kinda glad that he's bringing back some of that swing from the 40's. (I know it had a revival in the late 90's, but I missed the standards and such.)

August 7, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. King

He sang at the Royal Albert Hall in London last year and was excellent.

August 7, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nancy

Yes...he can sing. But I don't think I will ever be able to listen to him sing and not visualize Peter Griffin.

August 7, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. j

he is a good singer, but i just dont know if people will buy his record

August 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kate

Good for him. When he would do the music bits on family guy, I would think, you know, this guy can actually sing.

August 7, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jay Kay, Minneapolis

Seth has a gorgeous singing voice! Sublime! He's gonna be the next Judy!

August 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Doobie Doobie Doo

Are you kidding me? The guy trained with some of the same vocal coaches that worked with Frank Sinatra back in the day, and his voice isn't just "mediocre," it's outstanding. I'll buy this album. Most of the comments on this story just prove the modern adage of "Haters gonna hate."

August 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Kelly

I've wanted him to release a standards album for years! Awesome!

August 7, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Andrew Henry

I dont understand how this is even in question. Seth Mcfarlane is a musical genius. Now, I'm not really into show tunes, but I have watched Family Guy enough to realize the orchestration of the songs written for the cartoon are phenomenal, and hilarious at that. Can't wait to hear it.

August 7, 2010 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  35. Michele

McFarlane is a masterful singer and clearly loves the songs of Gilbert and Sullivan. I'd buy his CD. Now if we can only get him to church! alas, a lost soul.

August 7, 2010 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. John

Check out Seth's singing by watching the youtube.com videos (13!) of BBC's Salute to 75 Years of MGM Music. The show, and Seth, are amazing. I think he shows up around part six or seven on.

August 7, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  37. Jenny

For those that have never heard his real voice, his real voice is that of Brian Griffin. He doesn't change his voice at all for that character. He also voices Stewie. He can sing, and he can do it very well. When those two characters sing together, I think the harmony is wonderful.

I love his voice. I'd buy his album.

August 7, 2010 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Jehane

He actually lowers his voice a bit to do Brian, but does not change it to be a completely different character. He has a great voice and has a genuine stage presence when singing in front of a live audience – a great entertainer. I will buy/download this album the day it is released.

August 8, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  38. A MacFarlane hater

I hate this guy for ruining western animation single handedly, but he was professionally trained as a stage singer.

August 7, 2010 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  39. Splinter10

Actually, folks, before you write MacFarlane off as a singer, you should look up "2009 BBC Proms" on YouTube. You'll come across Seth MacFarlane doing the classic "Singing in the Rain" and doing quite well on it. It's been reported that he was vocal trained by the same folks that helped Frank Sinatra many years ago. MacFarlane, if you ever watched "Family Guy" prefers songs from the 1940s-1950s (Example..."Shipoopi"). Personally, I'd buy his albums, even if I'm in the minority

August 7, 2010 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dean Stelmach

He COULD have been a singer. He lacks training and it really shows. He's got a good voice but with his out-of-control vibrato and rotten phrasing and the mistakes he could have corrected in the studio but lacked the skills to know they were mistakes – it's clear he should just sing in church and perhaps in a cartoon. Listen to the American Dad theme: The second note is blown and we get to listen to it every week. And again: he's got the wide uncontrollable vibrato of an 80 year old man.

August 6, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chelsea

He has been coached vocally since childhood by some legendary coaches. He sounds fantastic when he is actuallly singing and not playing a charachter singing.

September 1, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  41. Craig

He actually does have quite an amazing voice. Anyone who has actually paid attention while watching the show would know that a large majority of his "spoofs" are either take offs on actual standards or the actual standards themselves-which he sings with a legit "crooner" sound. He will be fabulous for sure.

August 6, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Michelle

He evidently has perfect pitch, and if you've watched "Family Guy", you know he can definitely sing, so this might actually be really good.

August 6, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  43. steve

He has a great voice! I saw him and the rest of the cast do Family Guy Live at Gibson Amphitheater and he can sing!

August 6, 2010 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Maynard

Nothing screams, "Hey, everybody, I'm gay!!" like a man willfully singing show tunes.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

August 6, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. OldMo

He looks like he's familiar with show tunes.

August 6, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Dmegson

He could read the phone book and bring me to climax.

August 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  47. MacTavish

From one Scots to another- he's got a fine voice. Not bad looking either :o)

August 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Daniel Troppy

This guy is ultra STYLISH....

August 6, 2010 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  49. shmp

He should be more than fine singing classics. He sang well on the Family Guy: Live in Las Vegas album, plus I believe he's studied voice in the past with one of Sinatra's old teachers. I think this is more a project of passion for the music instead of a random lark of attention grabbing.

August 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Chet

He does Karaoke in Los Angeles, mostly Sinatra stuff, and sounds great live. I'd imagine with the producing most records get he'll sound just as good as most pop musicians.

August 6, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Grondahl

If his TV work is any barometer, I expect his album to be derivative, mostly unfunny, occasionally brilliant, and about as cohesive as an ADHD 3rd-grader's "What I Did This Summer" presentation.

August 6, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. zivo24

I love Seth McFarlane!

What's not to love?

He's cute, funny, and FILTHY STINKING RICH!!

August 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Tony

Go away Seth MacFarlane. And take Seth Green with you.

August 6, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

OK Tony, if Seth and Seth have to go away, we expect you to step up to the plate and replace The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, American Dad, and Robot Chicken, with something of your own design that's better written and funnier than the listed shows. Oh, and it better be Grrrr-eat!!

August 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • DERRICK

JEALOUS MUCH??

August 6, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CPB

lol, agreed.

October 7, 2011 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  54. Joe Erie

Michael Jordan played baseball why can't MacFarlane sing show tunes?

August 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Josh

Talentless tool indeed. I don't see the humor in any of his shows at all. I've laughed very few times watching any of them. bu that is just my opinion. Sense humor is not something that is chosen. singing voice wise...maybe. Look at Ke$ha. She sing-talks. Anything can happen.

August 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • zena

speaking of sing talks, listen to mary j blige if u can, and quite a few others who we think can sing and totally stinks, they don't even do a good job at sing talking

August 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh2

Family Guy used to be a funny show. They frequently do make fun of bitter, old, crusty, conservative toolbags. So, I suppose if you are one of these, you wouldn't find it funny at all.

August 7, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • weaselgal

Frankly, I don't see what's so amazing about him. My sister went to college (Rhode Island School of Design) with him and said he was an arrogant jerk who took immense pleasure in insulting classmates publicly, bragging incessantly about his own work, and giving unnecessarily cruel critiques in class about fellow students. The only plus is that he'll ONLY be known for 'Family Guy', and little else.

August 7, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Emzorz

The guy has an amazing singing voice – you can't deny that!
    I'll probably download it when released.

August 6, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Petey

Yeah, you can. He can carry a tune and his voice is decent. And he clearly enjoys singing and that enthusiasm comes across. That's about as far as I would go. Hardly "amazing," unless you are very easily amazed.

August 7, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  57. D.J. S

He should release it under the name "Brian Griffin".

August 6, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dave

Saw him sing last pm on Leno- I did NOT expect him to sound as good as he did!

August 6, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Sly

This will be good, he does have a talented voice...

August 6, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  60. CATom

Well seeing as how 99% of todays pop singers are talentless tools he should fit right in.

August 6, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Cam

Show tunes? Oh, now I get it.

August 6, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. vince

Seth has a very good voice that will fit the style of 40's and 50's (pre-rock) music very well. I look forward to it!

August 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Lee

I wouldn't be too quick to judge against him. The man has great control of his voice. First, he voices most of the characters of Family Guy. Second, he can not only sing in his own voice but has shown that he can sing while voicing a character as well.

He should do a good job with the show tune material.

August 6, 2010 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jane

I would buy RED AND GAY if he released it. That song is hilarious! Up beat too. Ha ha!

August 6, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Joe

Isn't the $200 million he makes from Family Guy, American Dad, and Cleveland enough? I love his shows, but come on Seth...don't be a greedy d**k about it.

August 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • jeffCanada

the same could be asked of athletes when it comes to the ridiculous amounts they earn...if he loves the standards, and has the chops for it (which he obviously does...those folks at Universal aren't amateurs in the recording industry, ya know), then I say: Have at it! Earn as much as you can and do it doing what you love...it's not greedy...it's just getting paid what people are willing to pay. I've written a book that earns me a fair chunk of change every year...not 200 million, but if it did, then so what? He's getting paid what people are willing to pay.

August 6, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • zena

somebody has to make the money, we aren't so let the man keep on making us laugh. if he gets paid on the way keep it moving man

August 6, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

It's really no different than actors who want to sing, or singers who want to try their hand at acting. There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to try something different that could be fun and challenging at the same time. If we could all agree that they are simply entertainers who want to 'entertain' than I guess nobody would have a problem with it. Then again, there are certain people who should stick with their original craft as well.

August 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa S.

This is probably more a vanity or pet project for him, he probably just wants to have some fun and record some songs he likes.

August 6, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jon A.

It's not like that money is coming out of your pocket (like a bailout). This is simply a vanity project for him. If it does well, great. If it bombs, no skin off Seth's back; merely a bad investment, and you won't see another album from him again (unless he personally finances it). And at least Seth has a good enough head on his shoulders to recognize the ever-widening wealth gap, and feels something needs to be done about to swing the pendulum back towards the working class, unlike 95% of the CEOs in this country that pretty much think "Got mine. Screw you."

August 7, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raoul_Duke

He's singing 40's and 50's show tunes. Somehow I don't think this is about the money

August 8, 2010 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
  66. Nikki

He really does have a good voice for the old standards. If he were signing a deal to do newer music I would definitely say it was a bad idea, though.

August 6, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Yikes!

two letters for you... PW!

August 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jkl

he does actually have a pretty great voice when you listen to the songs.

August 6, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • zena

u r right, if he got it off of stewie's baby voice and just used his own voice he is pretty good, he probably has already tried it. did u see the stewie's party video?

August 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Austin3759

I think he sings big band tunes great (Re: Family Guy episode with Frank Sinatra, Jr.). He sounds like a stoned Michael Buble.

August 6, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

He does have a really good voice.

August 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  69. uh

Sounds like another Weird Al.

August 6, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
    • N

Not really. He's singing standard songs, not spoofs about bologna and obesity.

August 6, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • uh

He should just stick to Family Guy... he is a powerhouse in the comedy department. If this singing gig fails, it obviously would be a waste of time for him.

August 6, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • TChristie

"MacFarlane is known for singing spoof songs for his animated projects, but does he have the chops for an actual singing career?" What a stupid question. Seth MacFarlane has mastered his voice. Do any of you "critics" have any idea how hard it is to do what he does? Of course he has the chops for a singing career. The question should be, does he have the talent and personality to command an audience? Another question, when will he find time to tour the project? These are questions the writer should be asking. It would be different if he was trying to become a pop star. That is last thing the world needs right now. I think he's a genius at what he does and there is a reason he is blessed.

August 6, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Benjolina

You never heard him on youtube? He has a good voice.

August 7, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • MMontag

Amen to what TChristie said. Not only does he have a great voice but he also does various voices with accents on Family Guy. AND sings in those accents. That is TOUGH. I'd love to hear this new cd of his.

August 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |