Mark Wahlberg: Bieber's like the white Tupac
August 6th, 2010

Mark Wahlberg: Bieber's like the white Tupac

After years of avoiding his Funky Bunch past, the artist formerly known as Marky Mark is starting to feel the “Good Vibrations” again.

Rapper turned actor Mark Wahlberg revealed in a new interview with Time magazine that only one person could make him bring forth the rhythm and the rhyme again: Justin Bieber.

“If Justin Bieber asks me, I'll say yes. Only because my daughter loves him,” said the 39-year-old “The Other Guys” star, whose hip-hop group scored a No. 1 hit in 1991 with “Good Vibrations.”

Wahlberg, who transitioned to acting in 1993, told Time Out New York that he only raps when hanging with friends, and revealed that “there’s a load” of unused Marky Mark material out there – though he’ll never release it.

“The world needs Justin Bieber,” he said of his decision to pass the torch to the 16-year-old singing sensation. “Justin Bieber is like the white Tupac. Compared to a lot of people out there.”

1. Jan

Who the hell is mark wahlberg Tupac is a rap legend and justin biber is a nobody

September 27, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

even mentioning 2pac and justin bieber in the same sentence is blasphemy. they have as much in common as Ghandi and Hitler...

September 7, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. thugz with pride

marky mark justin bieber could never bust a rap like 2pac even if you injected a bit of 2pac's blood into the bieber he will never be able to bust a rap he would have better luck trying to get a bj off mylie cyrus

August 20, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  4. SikoTata

NEVER ! will justin bieber be like tupac . bieber can't wiff tupac pure AMAZING-ness. & for him to be compared to someone truly amazing , is just ughhhh . i thought justin bieber was an amazing SINGER , buh not as a rapper . some of his lines are weak ( no offense ) a i've seen some of his rapping videos on youtube . . . . . NOT as great as tupac . please stick to singing bieber . . . . PLEASE .

August 18, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mandy

Omg people are haters! Bieber better ask him. I absolutely love Mark Whalberg/Marky Mark. Yeah, I'm young, but he is the hottest thing! I think it would be real cool to see what he has left to lash out.
    Bad comparison to Tupac though. Tupac was tiiiight!

August 17, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Makeveli786

Justin Bieber is good for his age, in fact very good for his age but people, tupac is the greatest rap icon there ever has and ever will be, 75 million records sold worldwide and killed at 25 years old, Bieber will not be the next Tupac or the next Michael Jackson so Dont make him out to be all that. Tupac 'is' the greatest!!!

August 13, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  7. what the..?

Who is this guy? No wonder his 'hip hop' career is like not ever heard of... Justin is a little a bundle of talent but Tupac? S. M. H.

August 13, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Clifton

THAT'S ABSURD Justin Beiber don't even belong in the same sentence with. Tupac. Tupac is on a pedestal by himself and there will probably never be someone like him again. It is a shame that his own government refuses to honor him, but he is on THE VATICAN's music playlist.

August 9, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alijzha

HOW THE HELL u qon compare T U P A C let me repeat that TUPAC tto justin beiber? smdh what is the world cominq to theres so much i can sayy but the silence says it all. i cannot believe he said that. he needs to just walk away and never do that aqain.

August 7, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. steve-o

Yeah yeah, he's the white Tupac, minus the tattoos, the bald head, the nose ring, the street cred, the talent... who are we talking about here?

Tupac = Caput

August 7, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SHARON M

Marky Mark...you are an idiot. AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE A SMART MAN, I KNOW YOU ARE FINE AND CUTE.. BUT PLEASE..OK, I UNDERSTAND ITS FOR THE WHITE PEOPLE TO HAVE A TUPAC,, BUT PLEASE DON'T COMPARE THIS KID TO TUPAC..THERE WILL NEVER BE A COMPARISON TO TUPAC, HE WAS MORE THAN THAT .. MAYBE DRAKE.. NOT TUPAC, NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN OUT LOUD,,OK, THANKS...

August 6, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Brady Brad

Marky Mark...you are an idiot.

August 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mario

This has got to be the STUPIDEST thing Ive seen in the news in a very long time, I knew Marky Mark wasn't a rocket scientist but I didn't realize he was this ignorant.

August 6, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jaker

We are not that lucky, don't forget Tupac is dead. I know, wishful thinking.... :P

August 6, 2010 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Lynn

Oh and the comparison to Tupac is crazy, they are nothing a like! Not sure what Mark Wahlberg was thinking!

August 6, 2010 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lynn

Not sure where the "Bieb" came from, my guess is a bunch of silly girls are responsible for his success. I don't get it, but I'm MUCH older and have a low stupidity threshold. The hair alone is hysterical! Just goes to show once again, that you don't have to be talented to be famous, or a pop star for that matter.

August 6, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  17. criphugger

Right now, satan is throwing frozen batteries at 2PAC. The guy was a failure as a human being, worshipped by sheep who identify with the victim role.

August 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  18. criphugger

Wow!!! It's to the point now that white people can't even speak.Agree or not with his statement, but lets stop acting like he created the AIDS virus. It's a comment, nothing more. Probably in jest. It seems anytime a white male says anything unagreeable by the masses, he's labled an idiot or offensive. If you want something to be angry about..........listen to just about any NFL or NBA player give an interview, knowing the whole time that this individual attended a major college. I find Derrick Rose to be far more offensive.He's really good at saying the words know, what, I'm, and saying.Nothing more.

August 6, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Matt

Wait....did I miss something? When did Beiber get shot?

August 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. me

If you read the actual quote he wasn't comparing Beiber and Tupac. He was saying Beiber is like the white Tupac when compared to what's out there now. It was more of a slap in the face of the current state of music. (Which is crap, I might add)

August 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Surf_Dog

I saw Justin Bieber's performance on MuchMusic during their awards show and I really wasn't impressed.

His voice needs to deepen more and his body movements on stage need to be more fluid.

However, what I saw indicated that he has a lot of potential to become a good artist.

Give him time to develop, until then, he isn't ready yet. Just my opinion.

August 6, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. cl

Marky Mark you area jackas*. Gee is Bieber a gangster singing about killing cops and the like ? Is Bieber involved in bi-coastal wars with other singers and heavily involved with gangs ? Please. Whalberg you have zero credibility.

August 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Brandon

you have got to be kidding me. tupac is a legend. bieber doesnt even deserve to be named in the same article as tupac, much be compared to him.

August 6, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Jerry

The White Tupac? Your kidding right?

August 6, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  25. BUSTIN JUSTIN

IS JUSTIN GONNA POSE IN HIS UNDERWEAR NOW? HE BETTER PUT A COUPLE OF TENNIS BALLS DOWN THERE FOR EFFECT

August 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Brian

say hello to you mother for me

August 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  27. dc

"Whatever is too stupid to be spoken is sung" -Voltaire

"Whatever is too stupid to be sung, is rap" -me

August 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mattmchugh

How do you know when you've listened to too much Justin Bieber? After "One Time."

August 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Godstar

Wow, is that supposed to be an insult to Tupac? Hell, if he was compared to Donny Osmond that would be an insult. Don't worry Mark Wahlberg, you're like the black Gary Coleman.

August 6, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Big John

After years of slowly earning my respect (not that I really matter in the grand scheme of things, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway) by starring in increasingly better acting roles, Wahlberg goes and says something ludicrous like that.

Sorry to do this to you Marky Mark, but that comment is going to cost you. You've now dropped in respect to pre-Three Kings days. Any more idiotic Bieber comments and I'm going to start making fun of you again for tattooing "Nicole 4 Eva" on yourself in the movie Fear.

August 6, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  31. DJHood32

I'm just going to pretend that I never read that article. Such nonsense....

August 6, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. matt

that's a joke.

August 6, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. S. Jives

I hope he's not serious.

August 6, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. shell517nj

Love you Markie Mark. I will never forget that billboard..... as far as this article WHAT?

August 6, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Whoa!!!

I'm as white as it gets...and that statement offends ME!!!

August 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ficheye

That is, hands down, the stupidest thing Wahlberg has ever said. Except for some of his lines in 'Planet of the Apes'. Justin Beiber is still wearing diapers or he has something weird in the back of his pants. America is desperate for a new star. Wonder when he's going into rehab?

August 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • ficheye

As for those saying he was being sarcastic... it's 'sarcasm light' if it is. And it says 'his decision to pass the torch'. Was Wahlberg holding a torch? He's not even performing these days, except in the movies. The article is not very good.

August 6, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  37. brittany

I like mark walberg but HELL NAW. first of all bieber is not a rapper and cant sing and is NOTHING like tupac

August 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  38. JB

Hah, thanks Mark....
    I didn't like Tupac..but thanks anyways for trying.

August 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Three-Eyed Wonder

I think his third nlpple is due for a comeback.

August 6, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  40. marquee

Donnie D's on the back up
    Drug free, so put the crack up
    No need for speed
    I'm the anti D-R-U-G-G-I-E my
    Body is healthy
    My rhymes make me wealthy
    And the Funky Bunch helps me
    To bring you a show with no intoxication
    Come on feel the vibration

And to know that "theres a load of unused Marky Mark material out there though hell never release it"
    You are a lyrical genius Marky don't hold out!

August 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Derp

I do not understand sarcastic humor!

August 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. HA!

"OH! ,Soon, soon YOU'RE A BALLOON!!!"- Bob Odenkirk from Mr. Show.

August 6, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Amazed

Wow...I can't believe that one, none of you caught the hint of sarcasm in that comment, and two, none except L2Read caught the kicker. He wasn't comparing Justin to Pac.

"Compared to a lot of people out there" <- HELLO!!!

August 6, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dick Fairy

1. He said his daughter loves Bieber, so you can't say for sure that his comment was sarcastic. Having little girls does strange things to grown men.

2. It's very, VERY hard to determine sarcasm just by reading something. You don't have facial expressions or tone of voice. Going by the words he spoke, there is no way you can say for sure his comment was sarcastic.

August 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. breezin thru

come on, i'm in no way a bieber (even my 11 yr old daughter thinks he's ridiculous) but walhberg started out the same - idol to tons of drooling teenage girls, so i'm sure he can relate. besides, he said he would do it for his DAUGHTER only b/c SHE loves him (bieber). we all do stupid stuff for our kids :)
    the 'white tupac' remark, well who knows wth he was thinking :)

August 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. weeay1

Really? The next Tupac? You have GOT to be kidding, right? A pale,boy/girl hybrid? Yeah, okay! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 6, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  46. John

Mark-lost a lot of respect for you there. 2pac-genious poet. Bieber- tween cash cow for greedy fat white guys. 2pac-career ends when gunned down. Bieber-"career" ends when puberty hits.

August 6, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  47. travis

Mark's comment is proof that Justin's music and hair ruin lives.

August 6, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  48. L2Read

Wow, reading comprehension isn’t a strong point for most of you. Read the whole quote “Justin Bieber is like the white Tupac. Compared to a lot of people out there.”

"Compared to a lot of people out there"
    "Compared to a lot of people out there"

See what he did there or better yet "c wat he did thur" for the netizens.

August 6, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rusty

Bravo L2Read. speaks to the sad state of current rappers.... and to the sad state of reading compreshension

August 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  49. bailoutsos

He is just getting some media coverage for his new movie.

August 6, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  50. brandonj

Yeah, Justin Beiber is the white Tupac about as much as Donnie Osmond is the white Snoop Dogg.

August 6, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  51. Leila

Mark, stick to acting please because, clearly, you have no knowledge whatsoever of music and talent for Bieber lacks both.
    Yuk...

August 6, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  52. freepalestine

marky's way of dissing on tupac! Good one!

August 6, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  53. bob

so we can expect that beiber will soon be gunned down in vegas?

August 6, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Marky Mark

hey bob, thanks for stopping by, i once had a friend named bob...oh and say hi to your mother for me

August 6, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  54. dellis79

Thats crazy talk Marky Mark! LOL...If Tupac were actually dead he'd be turning over in his grave (LOL)

August 6, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Marky Mark

dellis, please, i went and turned him over in his grave myself before i said that....oh and say hi to your mother for me

August 6, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  55. Marky Mark

say hi to your mothah fah me

August 6, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Marky Mark

Hey goat, nice beard you got there, i had a beard like that when i starred in perfect storm....oh and say hi to your mother for me

August 6, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
    • ALR

Marky Mark- you are too funny

August 6, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Boof

We can only hope he ends up like Tupac.

August 6, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  57. Johnny

It seems like you are the expert, Mark!

August 6, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  58. LusciousDC

Comparing Bieber to Tupac is like comparing apples and a cow. Not even the same species. Tupac is probably spinning in his grave like a chicken on a spit after that comparison. Mark you should be ashamed of yourself.

August 6, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • teenie bopper

hey, biebers the man old lady

August 6, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Dude

I think, or at least hope, he's being sarcastic. He once was asked if it was hard to sing as bad as he did in Boogie Nights, and his reply was, "did you ever listen to Marky Mark?"

August 6, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
    • karuna

absolutley agree with you. does he even know who tupac is!!!!!

August 6, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. N

Oh, Mark Wahlberg, you're so silly.

August 6, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
    • captonbleezy

what?! someone please slap this retard! tupac just turned over in his grave.

August 6, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |