Who wants it more on 'SYTYCD?'
August 5th, 2010

Who wants it more on 'SYTYCD?'

When the final four dancers took the stage for their group routine on Wednesday night's "So You Think You Can Dance," guest judge (and choreographer) Tyce Diorio told AdeChike, "I want to see the fight." It was something of a theme for the night, as some dancers really showed that they wanted it while others had something - perhaps, that "fight" - lacking.

For me, the two dancers who showed they really possessed that fire to make it to the finale were Lauren and (surprisingly, to me at least) Robert.

In both of Lauren's routines, she gave it her all, as she has throughout much of the season, especially as a black widow with Ade as her prey. As Mia Michaels said, she is a "beast," and it was some of the most powerful dancing all season.

Her Argentine tango was probably the best performance any contestant has had this season, while paired up with Pasha. It wasn't quite to the level of season four's Chelsie and Joshua, but pretty close.

Robert had the best night he's had all season, in a demented NappyTabs routine paired with Dominic. He really inhabited his character of an angry clown, and the judges even thought he outdanced "D-Trix" (I don't know if I would go that far).

I also didn't quite like his Viennese waltz as much as the judges did (I found myself agreeing with Mia much more than usual, this time on the fact that we could see him thinking through the steps), but it was a very good performance overall, and he finished strong.

AdeChike's all-too-frenetic routine with Kathryn was just the opposite, with the Brooklyn native running out of steam towards the end. In this one, as well as his African jazz routine, the comments from the judges started out somewhat critical with Nigel Lythgoe, then really started going downhill with Tyce and Mia. It's clear that the judges don't see him going to the final three, and I have to agree (though the votes may go another way).

And that leaves our perennial frontrunner, Kent, who really didn't deliver at all in a disco routine, which Mia and Adam Shankman criticized as too "youthful." I'll go along with Tyce (I can't believe I'm saying that), by calling it "just good." I think I finally figured out my problem with Kent, and it's the same problem I had with Mollee Gray last season. He's just not a mature enough dancer to go all the way to the end.

Despite that, he improved leaps and bounds in what seemed like the perfect combination of a Travis Wall routine and a pairing with Neil (with whom he shined playing a baseball player a few weeks ago). I didn't quite like it as much as the judges, but it's definitely one of Kent's best moments, coming at just the right time. Even so, he's been so hit-or-miss overall, that I really hope Lauren's consistency will be rewarded with a place in the top three.

Who do you see in the final three next week? Which dancer do you think wants it the most? Where will Nigel and Adam spend their honeymoon? Share your view on video, or in the comments below.

1. Leslie

lauren, Robert & Kent will be the the final 3. Adechike is a good dancer but I don't think as strong as the others. Lauren & Kent will be the final 2. Robert has grown on me the past few weeks and could be in the final 2 depending on how the votes go. Kent is a great dancer but does still lack the maturity which hurts him. Lauren has been consistant with every dance that she has been given. She is the BEST dancer. Unforunately Kent will probaably be the one to win because all of the teenyboppers will vote for him. People should remember this is based off of talent not because you think they are nice looking.

August 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Genie

Lauren, Lauren, Lauren............there's something about Robert that turns me off to him although I shall admit he has done some powerful dancing..........Kent is fun............ and for awhile I wanted Adechike to be in the final just because he tries so hard. I know, I know, someone will respond with "tries" being the operative word but he has as much heart and guts as Lauren

August 5, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. moon627

Robert and Lauren are the best dancers left on the show so one of them should win it all ... too bad its up to the voters and not the judges

August 5, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. JM

Top 3 should be Lauren, Robert and Kent. Adechike is a beautiful mover but is weakest of the 4 in dancing and stage presence. Lauren and Robert out-shined the others last night, and danced their tail off for a spot in the top! Kent (cuitepie) I think will make it in because of the younger voters – it obvious they heart him. Though he is a very talented young artist, he is missing something on stage for me, and the stage faces have to go – YUCK

August 5, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. hahaha

i remeber, a couple of seasons ago, the funny man who wore red-rimmed glasses, and did this really weird dance (to the song ; LIVING LA VIDA LOCA).....

August 5, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. Mark

Lauren and Kent should be in the final for sure. They are both fantastic dancers with great personality. It's tough to say which will win since it's based solely on viewer votes and I'm guessing girls love Kent and want to be like Lauren...it could go either way.

August 5, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  7. Yoannis

Kent deserves to win. He has been consistently solid all season and seems to give his all at all times. I don't know where this "hit or miss" description is coming from. Robert has been mediocre for most of the season and has not blown me away once, Adechike is talented but cannot commit himself completely to his routines and is too stiff, Lauren is great but she does not get me excited.

So Robert had one good night and now he deserves to win? I don't think so.

August 5, 2010 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Are you out of your mind??? Kent is by Far NOT the Best dancer this season!! And Adechekie (what a ridiculous name) is and was the worst dancer this year!! He'd be better if he could keep his hands OFF of his crotch!! Lauren & Robert are the only two left who "brought It" this week and every other one this season!! Lauren has matured leaps and bounds and has become a woman, and Robert has indeed become a Prince as Mia stated!! He has the star look to him and he masters Everything they gave him to do this season!! For you to "praise" Kent as you do I can only guess that maybe you have started High School this year or last year!!!! So SAD that the voters go for a popularity contest instead of what it Really is a DANCING CONTEST!

August 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luka

Kent's good but he's been far from solid on many occasions. His ballroom dances have been mediocre. His disco last night was awful.

August 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Filomena

for the person who said AdeChike is a ridiculous name, perhaps you need to travel more. Its an Nigerian name, not anything made up. Ade means "royal" and Chike means "Power of God". Did you perchance graduate to the Mia Michaels School of Harsh Criticisms without Cause?
      since anthony never made it to the top 11 (and should have) and alex went down due to injury, i no longer care who wins. jose should have never made it past hollywood week, his "pose & stroll" not so cleverly disguised as various genres of dance totally ruined this season for me. seems like the judges already have their list made out at the beginning of the season and no matter how well (robert) or poorly (jose) you dance, they will stick to what they want, regardless of what is actually performed on the stage.

August 6, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. romyoh

I totally agree. I think AdeChike will be going home tonight. Also Robert is starting to look like a star. I think he may take it all.

August 5, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Jenny

I hope so. otherwise i would hope robert. As long as lauren and kent are in the finale

August 5, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rlg

Lauren was the best. NO to Kent.

August 5, 2010 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. cc

Kent

August 5, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  11. terry

Every season, my favorite is always #2 (like Jacob Karr last season – he was phenomenal!). Of course, IAlex Wong would have won the whole thing this season. Too bad he was injured. Robert has really grown on me this season – he was stuck doing every form of ballroom and the others barely did any ballroom – and he was great last night. Kent's first dance was average and his second was good. I just think his goofy faces during the dances really ruin them. I like Lauren and Adechike – just not enough to vote for them. So I say Robert should win, but probably won't. As they always say "Its not America's BEST Dancer, its America's FAVORITE Dancer" and all the young girls will vote for Kent 'cause he is cute and goofy.

Please Anthony Burrell (from this season's top 24) – try out next season. You should have been on this season and would have won by a landslide! Everyone is ready to see some mature dancing!

August 5, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. 100%

LAUREN!!!

August 5, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. N

Team Kent all the way!

August 5, 2010 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
    • moon627

Kent should be in the bottom this time but it will be up to the judges to use common sense since i think Kent will get the little girly votes.

August 5, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |