Nigel Lythgoe definitely back with 'Idol'
August 5th, 2010

Nigel Lythgoe definitely back with 'Idol'

As shown by a recent episode of “So You Think You Can Dance,” Nigel Lythgoe has had “American Idol” on the brain, and with good reason: He’s back as the executive producer of the vocal talent reality competition, according to THR.

While many have theories of what Lythgoe’s return will mean for the show, all he's saying for now is that he’s interested in “creating more magic,” whatever that may mean.

Lythgoe, who served as an executive producer on “Idol” for its first seven years, said in a statement that he’s remained close with “Idol’s” other exec, Simon Fuller since they started “Pop Idol” in England. Since then, he said, "American Idol became a juggernaut of epic proportions, but to me it was always like home.”

Lythgoe will join fellow “Idol” executive producers Fuller, Cecile Frot-Coutaz and Ken Warwick for the show’s 10th anniversary season, which starts in January, and no, he said on Twitter, he will not be a judge.

"YES, I am returning to 'IDOL,'" Lythgoe tweeted.  "I hear we have the biggest turnout of talent in years. I'm very excited at the prospect of finding a new STAR." But, he added, "I am not going to be a Judge on 'IDOL.' I am returning to the team in my old role as Executive Producer."

Filed under: American Idol 2010 • Celebrities • television

1. JJ

Nigal my man, believe me loosing Ellen was no loss, she knew nothing about music and would not know a great singer they hit her in the face. I do believe it is time to get another person like Simon. He was honest, not very tactful but gave his best opinion. I would be looking for a successful recording artist without any badgage.

August 30, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ArizonaThumbsDown

seriously people, you wanna kick out all the illegals, however you refuse to think of the effects this will have on our economy...wait till you see how much your groceries cost if there are no migrant workers to pick your fruit and vegetables..these are hardworking people doing the jobs you don't wanna do

August 5, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • ArizonaThumbsUP

Bring back chain gangs and let prisoners pick fruit and produce. Why should they received 3 squares a day to lift weights, watch TV and get an education? They have already proven themselves to be a burden on society. This way, they can pay the price for their crimes and, likely, they could be "paid" less than an illegal.

August 5, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • JT

Just because they will do jobs that we won't do doesn't give them the right to break our laws...NO ONE in this entire debate is focusing on the fact that the word ILLEGAL is in front of immigrant...Last I check us LEGAL citizens get in trouble and sent to jail when we break our laws. WAKE UP MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 5, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nigeltwooooooz

I don't think Nigel ruined anything...in fact I think the show is great. American Idol was crap last year because of all the changes and truly the talent was not that good..perhaps he will make it better but I just don't think Idol will ever recover from last year

at all

ever

August 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Murphy

Even more reason to stop watching American Idol. He's ruined "So You Think You Can Dance" already so here is another show he can ruin. It's already down the tubes anyway, every year their ratings are dropping and now with Lythgoe probably more!

August 5, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Natalee

Why don't you throw yourself harder on the coffin and wail a little louder, I don't think they can hear you in the back.

August 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |