Mary J. Blige breaks HSN record
August 4th, 2010

Mary J. Blige breaks HSN record

Success must smell pretty sweet to Mary J. Blige right about now.

According to a press release from HSN, the singer’s new fragrance, My Life, broke records on July 31 by selling more than 60,000 units during about six hours of air time on the shopping channel.

Part of the proceeds went to benefit Blige’s charity, The Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation for the Advancement of Women Now, Inc. (FFAWN).

“I am thrilled with the success of My Life, the experience on HSN with Carol's Daughter and the overwhelming donations to FFAWN," the press release quoted the nine-time Grammy Award winner as saying.  "I can't wait to share another touch of my heart.  Thank you to all my fans – new and old – for being there for me."

Blige also took to Twitter to thank supporters. "Fam!! We did it!!! We broke records with the My Life fragrance on HSN!!! and made history once again!!! 50K sold!!!" she tweeted before the final tally of units sold was counted.

According to StyleList, the previous record holder was Blige’s former musical mentor, Sean "Diddy" Combs, who sold his Sean John fragrances for men and women on HSN back in December. The site said Blige outsold Combs in both sales and revenue, grossing an estimated $2.7 million.

My Life is the first celebrity fragrance developed by Carol’s Daughter, an African-American line of beauty products supported by several celebs, including Blige and Jada Pinkett.

1. Kate

Not every1 is happy about us n what we do, but the most high God loves n cares about every gd deed n gives us the right direction from the wrong. I luv u MJB, God bless u.

September 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JL

I am so proud of Mary J. Blige. She did an excellent job and her perfume smells great. Not too sweet but very classy and elegant smelling. I am a long time fan and supporter of hers since her debut in 1992. Mary feels like family and WE have come a long way. Lol. I love you MJB and may God continue to bless you and yours.

August 6, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Katbottie

I love MJB and truly love the fragrance, it's not that sweet smelling stuff nor is it strong and in your face, like most fragrances now by celebrities. Romantic, smooth, sultry, and faintly aromatic. I normally don't buy a fragrance without trying it and I don't purchase a fragrance just because everyone else is doing it (because of their celebrity status). Apparently, it was meant for me to see it that day because I normally don't watch HSN and when I saw it, before hearing everything about it, I purchased it right then and there. I wasn't aware it was helping her foundation until after I bought it so I'm glad I did. MJB has always rocked the blonde short cut and it fits her. Keep doing you Mary and God bless you and your organization.

August 5, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. joe

"So Joe what do you think about Corn Rows on White Guys. I will have to try My Live. I'm a vanilla person."

They look stupid, so do dreads on a white guy too. And for the record, I don't like fake blondes, white, hispanic, asian or black. I don't like fake blonde hair period. I think it looks less dumb on a white girl because there is a possibility of a white girl having blonde hair. But TO ME, it looks utterly ridiculous on a black, hispanic or asian girl. Not hating, just my opinion.

August 5, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. I bought it too

I bought a bottle too...the frangrance is an eau de parfum...which means it is stronger than what most our use to buying eau de toilette...I suggest using the frangrance only on pressure points..and your own body chemistry...will change your mind...

August 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mature Woman in Atlanta

I love it. It is not loud, it is soft. It does not announce your presence but it has an effect on You! I am glad to have been able to support the FFAWN.

August 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. paprika

Look at it this way, if you don't like the smell of the perfume, just think of the money you paid as a donation to a worthy cause ! God bless you for your contribution !

August 4, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nicelady

August 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Niecy

It's obvious her Market Strategy works!
    Playa Haters – I suggest you TAKE NOTES

August 4, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. charise

If you like another product great stick with it,if you think her hair looks stupid your entilted to your opinion but why must people be so negative then give it to everyone have you ever heard the saying if you don't have anything nice to say then please say nothing at all !!!!

August 4, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. darlene d

I prefer to smell perfume before purchasing. There are so many celebrities that have scents on the market and maybe one or two truly smell good. I rather stick with what I know and love like Chanel, Dior, Givenchy, Ralph Lauren, etc.

August 4, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. joe

I'm sorry, but blonde hair on a black chick just plain looks stupid.

August 4, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jen

Sorry Mary, I bought a bottle of your perfume and will be returning it. I don't particularly like it.

August 4, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |