'Simpsons' will see stars next season
August 3rd, 2010

'Simpsons' will see stars next season

The show may be entering into its 22nd season, but the “Simpsons” of Springfield are still getting major visitors.

“Simpsons” executive producer Al Jean already talked about “Mad Men’s” Jon Hamm signing on as a guest voice on the primetime cartoon, but that’s just the beginning.

Fox announced at the Television Critics Association Press Tour that celebs like Halle Berry, Kristen Wigg, Martha Stewart, Daniel Radcliffe and Paul Rudd are among those lending their voices to future episodes. You can expect to hear from “Glee” stars Lea Michele, Cory Monteith and Amber Riley as well.

Ricky Gervais will also return to the series, in an episode featuring Homer and Bart heading out to Los Angeles for the Academy Awards. Although the witty Brit co-wrote – as well as made a guest appearance – on an episode of “The Simpsons” back in 2006, he’ll simply star in the upcoming episode as himself.

Filed under: Celebrities • Ricky Gervais • television

1. jacob

good news. long live the simpsons!

August 4, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. curious

so, can you beat the 'flint stones'... 22 years and your catching up.

August 4, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. citizenUSA

It's funny how "The Simpsons" is one of those, "I love it", or, "I hate it", things. I've been watching them since The Tracy Ullman Show. They weren't as good then and have had it's ups and downs since. But after 21 years, they're doing something right. In general. I think it's pretty funny.

August 4, 2010 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

Upon reflection of my youth and being pro on these types of TV shows, I have realized that the time I spent watching them was nothing but a waste of time. Turn it off people. The world if falling apart around you while you are pacified with a thousand channels of mind numbing crap.

August 4, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Sloppy Joe

Done . . OK, Mark, now tell me what I should do! I've been stuck in adolescence for 20 years now with no idea how to move on! QUICK, man . . the world is in CRISIS!! How do I solve religious and political tension in the Middle East? How do I get our national debt under control? And what, oh what of early-onset male-pattern baldness? WHAT?!

You must be a ton of fun at church socials.

August 4, 2010 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Sloppy Joe....it could be love :)

October 18, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jay

Simpson! Homer-Simpson! He's the greatest guy in history!

August 4, 2010 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. SweetMag

The Simpsons were at their best for the first 10years. I remember when the first Simpson episode came on ( well depends on whether you can't the Tracy Ullman show or not)! The first 10 years were comedy gold!
    – Hey is that a lemon behind that rock?
    – I'm so mad I think I'm going to explode. -Millhouse

August 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jona

Simpsons used to be the best. Then they hired writers focused on liberal, left wing politically correct themes and now it sucks. They NEED stars although they've always had stars on from time to time.. The show is over and has been for many years. Give up the time slot for something worth watching.

August 3, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Russ

the Simpsons have writers that are poorly talented. they write horrible and incredibly unfunny scripts.

they no longer have a good show. but the two top men in the show have already said they don't care what people say.. they're ignorant and stuck up. they really believe their show is still funny! who are they fooling?

just the stupid people.

August 3, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kite005

I don't pay much attention to movies stars and celebrities but is that Halle Berry. Much prettier than what I thought.

August 3, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. mtech101

SIMPSONS! I hope this show stays on until I have kids, don't kill the show, stop hating!

August 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Crazy Waiter

I still enjoy an occasional episode. I would like to see perhaps a Simpsons/Futurama crossover movie? In 3-D?

August 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Daniel Troppy

Fabuloso. I love The Simpsons, they are one STYLISH family.

August 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Horgh

To be honest, I have never seen " Star Cameos" as contributing to this series- just the opposite. It distracts from the writing (Hm, how can we adapt the storyline so that Homer ends up on stage with Kid Rock). It's the animated equivalent of Cousin Oliver on the Brady Bunch. Knock it off! Focus on the writing or kill the series

August 3, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron

Agreed. In the early seasons, celebrities weren't touted as "guest starring", they just happened (Sometimes without credit.) Now, it's simply a "Hey I just ran into 50 cent!" which adds nothing to the story, it's just a shameless celebrity plug. Simpsons died a long time ago.

August 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. JimmieG

They need an episode where Marge gets absolutely pounded by Homer in the bedroom.

August 3, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kado

You missed that episode?

August 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • paul

I saw that episode last week. Homer gets this aphrodisiac from Mr. Burns. Next thing you know he's dragging Marge up the stairs and drills her silly in the bedroom. If you don't like the Simpsons then your sense of humor has deminished.

August 3, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • anon

let's start a facebook group!

August 3, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  15. themoi

They better get off the air before they become nothing more than a mediocre joke (oops–they already are). Family Guy Rules!

August 3, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • kite005

Family guy is kind of crappy. I mean really it can be funny but there is a bunch of unfunny stuff in it also. The episode where everyone is just repeatably barfing all over the place is one example. Simpsons is much better. The Michael Jackson episode with the song Happy Birthday Lisa I liked a lot and they seem to work the celebs pretty well into the show.

August 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sloppy Joe

Family Guy is hilarious . . in small doses. Every episode is like one long fart joke. Fart jokes are fine and dandy, but after 3-4 it's time to move on. A little variety, a change of pace . . that's all I ask. Think of the class clown from jr. high . . he was hysterical at first, but after months of the same schtick, all you wanna do is push him in down the stairs.

Family Guy is 100% schtick. The Simpsons had and still has a lot more depth to it. Whether that means anything to you or not is a matter of taste.

August 4, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  16. Oodoodanoo

I guess better writers wasn't an option.

August 3, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kristi

I love the Simpsons but hate how they pander to celebretards. The best episodes are the ones that just center around the family.

August 3, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Red Pison

I see no "big names". Just TV actors and has been movie stars

August 3, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

paul rudd isn't really a has been

August 3, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Martin

You would consider Halle Berry a "has been movie star"?

Daniel Radcliffe is still an "A list" movie star and is doing EXTREMELY well in the theatre as well.

Ricky Gervais is certainly still in the "A" list of comedy.

I'm sure Kelsey Grammar will be back for his annual stint as Sideshow Bob (nearly always the funniest "do not miss" episode of any season).

August 4, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  19. JTinCowtown

Just a sad dull tool for MG's groaning ego. It's completely ground down the razor wit and satire that made it not just fun but good post modern performance art. Now it is what it once cleverly derided – a sticky mass of predictable sitcom formulae as stale and unimaginative as "Father Knows Best" and "Leave it to Beaver" thrown into a blender with a handful of Crayons.

August 3, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Brendan

This was one of the most brilliant shows in television history. It is terrible to see it being soiled with episodes that are not funny, and nothing like the first 10 seasons of the show. It deeply saddens me that this show is still on the air.

August 3, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

"Deeply saddess you?" Are you kidding me? There are a lot more things going on in this world that would merit this comment. If if you feel this strongly about it just don't watch it and move on with your life. Does this show being on really have that much of an impact on your life? wow.

August 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jared

Too True!!! I'd hate to see your reaction when you read a "real" sad story...if a cartoon can "deeply sadden" you...do you just kill yourself if you read about a murder?

August 3, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • SweetMag

I agree with ya, Brendan. The Simpsons USED to be such a great show back in it's hayday. Now it's just a bunch of lame writing, bad jokes and overdone plots. The writing for Marge is just awful and Homer has slowly over the years regressed to a complete idiot. He's always been stupid, but now its almost retard like.
      I have caught maybe 1 episode a year, but haven't been a loyal fan in ages. It deeply saddens me too :(

August 3, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sloppy Joe

Any trace of novelty has long disappeared and The Simpsons has admittedly repeated itself on many an occasion. But, except for 2-3 seasons that were truly, deeply unfunny a few years ago, the quality of the show has remained higher than I would have thought possible after 20 years. The "deeply sad" crowd isn't evaluating the show based on its writing (which is the only thing that really matters); it's simply hung up on the "classic" episodes from the first few seasons. They are considered classics for a reason, but being fairly new and more of a cultural phenomenon at the time, those shows are granted extra cache for their timing more than anything else.

This is something I can't prove in any way, yet I firmly believe it about most Simpsons fans . . if you were somehow able to forget everything about the show for a while and were then shown every show, shuffle-style, from every season, you'd still maintain the first seasons were better. It's just human nature . . old stuff is "classic" and mentioning new stuff in the same breath as the "classics" is heresy. See U2 fans or Metallica fans for examples in the music world.

August 4, 2010 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  21. TI

A dismal attempt in gaining viewers for a tv series that should have died off with the Y2K hysteria.

August 3, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mott

They don't need to "gain viewers". The show has been on for 22 years, a decade past the y2k nonsense you use as a reference point. Shows that don't have viewers don't last more than two decades, or did you think they just keep the show on the air as a time filler??

August 3, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flamer

Still mourning the cancellation of Matlock are we?

August 4, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Kristofer Guest

The Simpsons is still on ???

August 3, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • lolologist

They'll never stop the simpsons! Have no fear we've got stories for years, like, marge becomes a robot... and something happens... de do de do do do.

August 3, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Marie

We love the Simpsons !!! Animation Domination !!!

August 3, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  24. Guest

Yes! The Simpsons will have some good guest stars!

August 3, 2010 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |