'Glee' creator 'gobsmacked' by McCartney mixtape
August 3rd, 2010

'Glee' creator 'gobsmacked' by McCartney mixtape

With the heaps of accolades critics and fans mound upon Fox’s “Glee,” it’s no wonder that even the icons are angling for cameos.

At the TCA press tour Monday, “Glee” co-creator and executive producer Ryan Murphy admitted that the show’s star status has led to him getting mail from the likes of music greats like Paul McCartney.

“I got a mixtape from Paul McCartney a couple weeks ago,” Murphy said. “It was amazing. I thought I was being punked."

The package arrived out of the blue, he added, containing two CDs. "I hope you'll consider some of these songs for 'Glee,’” was the accompanying note, with the song "Michelle" being among those included.

“I was gobsmacked,” Murphy said. “I grew up with that guy. We are going to do something. I don't think a whole episode, but we are going to do something."

McCartney's not the only one Murphy is considering collaborating with. Actor Javier Bardem also has a special place in his heart for the motley crew of singing high school kids, and Murphy said he's thinking of ways to work him in as well.

Although the details haven't been figured out yet, Murphy said he'd probably play something akin to "a crazy Spanish heavy metal rock star substitute teacher."

Filed under: Celebrities • Glee • Music • television

1. jeanne

I agree with Andi and Holly.... even if Paul isn't on the show, hearing any song McCartney is on done by the Glee crew would be fantastic. Come on Ryan Murphy....you'll only boost your ratings that much higher !

August 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. concur

The only reason I can see them not doing a whole show to the Beatles, which would be a shame, is because of licensing issues. I hope they work it out though, it would be cool.

And PS – No, it actually didn't say goBsmacked at first, and the url still has goDsmacked in the link.

August 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andi

I'm with you, Steve! What the flip? I'm a Glee fan, but I'm a bigger Beatles & Macca fan. Just saw him in Kansas City on July 24th. The guy is 68 years old, & played for 3 hours! 36 songs total (2 encores). If he he can do that, Ryan Murphy can build an entire show around the Beatles/Paul. I like Madonna, but COME ON!! Paul sends him a handwritten note and mix-tape, and all he gets is "I don't think a whole episode, but we are going to do something."?!? Oy vey.

August 3, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MusicGirlMIA

The music of McCartney and/or Beatles are freaking epic and totally worthy of the devotion of an episode. Especially if Madonna (an icon) and Lady Gaga (a facsimile Madonna) are!!!

August 4, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
    • sharky

I have a thought as to maybe why a whole episode would not be dedicated to the Beatles or McCartney's catalog. Full episodes they have done, Madonna, Britney Spears, and Lady Gaga, those 3 have something very certain in common and not just for being in the music business.

October 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Holly Golightly

Who the flip is Javier Bardem? and ditto to Steve! (above) They can let this Javier dude star in the show, do a whole episode devoted to Lady Gaga, but don't want to do an entire BEATLES episode? Yeah, that makes sense....p.s. it does say gobsmacked....

August 3, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

So they can do a whole show around Madonna but cant manage to squeeze out an ep with McCartneys music? Sounds to me like he couldnt possibly be as 'gobsmacked" as he claims, considering McCartneys catalog as well as the Beatles legendary music.

August 3, 2010 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

No kidding.

Whole episodes to Madonna, Britney Spears, and Lady Gaga, but NOT to the Beatles or McCartney's music??? Sad, truly sad state of affairs. Truly sad.

October 22, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LIZ

munsecar : it does say GOBSMACKED...can you read ??? DUH !!

August 3, 2010 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. munsecar

It is GOBSMACKED not godsmacked!!!!

August 3, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |